Fegley's Bourbon Barrel Aged Insidious - Allentown Brew Works

Fegley's Bourbon Barrel Aged InsidiousFegley's Bourbon Barrel Aged Insidious

Allentown Brew Works visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: scottyg354 on 12-19-2011)

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

4.19/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer always intrigued me every time I went into liquor store but always passed over with having the likes of the more popular BA stouts already. I mean, how good could it be if I've never heard of it? Man was I wrong!

Pours black with a 1+ finger light khaki head (albeit with a somewhat aggressive pour)

Smell is dominated by chocolate, slight bourbon and smokey as well.

First taste...brought me back to my childhood when my grandmother made me chocolate Coke. This is what a grown up version would be. Chocolate again is the forefront but with a complimenting bourbon, vanilla, smoke that is spot on with the chocolate overtone. Slight drying hop bitterness that plays beautifully with the slight sweetness of the beer.

Mouth feel is awesome as there's just the right amount of carbonation to deliver the flavors. Not thick or chewy but at 9%, this is pretty much dead on what should be for the style and abv.

Overall I was pretty impressed with this brew. Is it up with the likes of parabola and bcbs? Not necessarily but it's not as far behind as you'd think. Definitely worthy of that next tier and a very tasty offering that took me totally off guard from a (somewhat) local brewery.

4.13/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Received this as an extra in a trade, got to love getting bourbon barrel aged goodness as a surprise I'm a trade. 12 oz bottle poured into snifter.

A: Pours a very dark black with only a thin layer of off-white head that disappears quickly. Viscosity looks fairly thin compared to my benchmark for the style, but this is expected with a relatively low ABV.
S: The aroma is very subtle, I have to swill the glass to get a decent nose out of it. What comes through strongest is the bourbon, followed by a roast or burnt presence. I love what I, getting, just wish it was stronger!
T: Bourbon and chocolate dominate up front. In the middle I get the roasted malt and some charred oak. The finish is a smooth lingering bourbon taste that I really enjoy.
M: Carbed well, which I'm surprised after seeing the pour yield almost no head. It does feel a little thin, but again, it's a moderate 9% ABV, so this doesn't surprise me. Leaves a slightly dry aftertaste.
O: This is a very smooth drinking bourbon barrel aged stout. I always compare to my benchmark for certain styles, and this is a style that has it pretty rough for the unheralded players. For being a surprise brew, and 1 I have never heard of, I am very impressed with how well this comes together. Great balance, and very smooth.

4.5/5  rDev +11.7%

3.15/5  rDev -21.8%

Half into a snifter glass, half stayed in the bottle. Drank from both periodically.

Appearance - It looks like it's name suggests...Insidious. Pours a dark, tarry brown and sits in the glass almost completely opaque. Head is a dark shade of brown, moderately thick and dissipates quickly, but not too quickly. Just enough for you to say "Damn, that is a tasty looking beer."

Smell - Both wood and bourbon prevalent. Coffee, chocolate, and a hint of toffee as one would expect from a stout. Traces of smoke as well.

Taste - Up front you get that barrel aging. Lots of bourbon. Heat towards the middle, quickly subsiding. Ends on chocolate and toasty malt. Aftertaste is total char.

Mouthfeel - Thick as all hell. This is a heavy beer. You know those powdered instant-breakfast shakes? A little thicker than that. Slightly oily but not too much. Fantastically smooth.

Overall - If you like stouts, you're going to love this. Definitely not for someone who isn't accustomed to stouts, although this beer masks it's 9% ABV very very well.

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%