Join our email list →

Landshark Lager - Margaritaville Brewing Co.

Landshark LagerLandshark Lager

poor

Margaritaville Brewing Co.
Florida, United States | website

American Adjunct Lager | 4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2007

Reviews: 453 | Hads: 1,711
3.76/5  rDev +45.7%

Landshark Lager - Margaritaville Brewing Co. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this beer's head is 1/2 finger thick, with surprisingly decent lacing, and a clear golden body.

It smells...SKUNKED. Thanks clear bottle, ya joik.

Once you get past the skunk taste, its alot like a Busch with more adjunct sweetness.

The mouthfeel here is light and clean.

Overall, I'll choose to give Landshark Lager - Margaritaville Brewing Co. a 4. If it weren't skunked, this honestly wouldn't be too bad on a sweltering day after working outside for a few hrs.

2.68/5  rDev +3.9%

Very attractive bottle and cap. This is not one of the best smelling beers I've had. I never think this, but when I'm drinking it around friends they often say they smell fish. There is a very light head when first poured and will lace your glass after being consumed. Very watery, but is crisp. At times, it almost reminds me of a soda with the amount of carbonation present. Best served ice cold and enjoyed in warm weather. This beer is definitely overpriced and isn't something I'd keep the fridge stocked with at all times or anything. If you are heading out for a day at the pool or beach, I would definitely consider packing the cooler with it every now and then.

2.04/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Bought this because my cousin had it and said it was "alright".

Look: I didn't pour mine into a glass, it's a clear bottle, so I can see its color. From first glance it looks like a gold, but if you hope it up to the light, or in my case the bright snow reflecting the light of the sun through this clouds as it is snowing quite heavily today, the color is more of a pale yellow, similar to pee. if you're moderately hydrated. Since I did not pour it, I can no comment on any foam head, but I imagine by its feel that there isn't much of one.

Smell: Smells light, maybe even a slight citrus, smell, lime maybe. Not unpleasant but gives a clear indicator of what it may taste like.

Taste: I can tell you right away exactly what it tastes like: Corona Extra, they're virtually the same, however I find the Landshark to be less offensive to my tastes. Though without a doubt these two are of the same "class" as shown on the right side of the page, the rest are different - though they may be classified the same here - Landshark and Corona Extra are the only two so close in style and taste.

Feel: The best part about it, and similar to its cousin of the same style, despite not being very tasteful and light beers, it is lightly/light moderately carbonated and very easy to drink down. It just rolls down so easily, too bad it lacks a better flavor.

Overall: I'm not disappointed with my purchase, and it's okay enough that I can finish the pack, though I'm not sure I would buy it again. Has a neat name, and isn't offensive to my tastes, but it's lacking in body and I like a more fully taste to my beers.

Landshark Lager brewed by Margaritaville Brewing Co , with an ABV of 4.70% This brew pours out a nice golden amber color with a small white head. The smell of Landshark Lager is rich with grains and malts. You do pick up some skunkyness in the smell of this brew from the hops. This brew has the look and smell of some American Adjunct Lagers on the market. Not saying that is a bad thing. The taste is rich with grains and malts. You pick up a hit of hops in the taste. There is a lot going on in Landshark. The mouth feel of Landshark Lager is bold,rich, clean, and smooth. Landshark Lager has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. There is also nothing bad about this brew. I like how smooth this brew is, it goes down nice. Overall I'm giving Landshark Lager a 4 out of 5. I would buy this brew again, it is a smooth drinking brew. Margaritaville Brewing Co. , did a nice job with this one.

This is no more an island lager than a Milwaukee's Best. Pours the color of pee with a small white head with not much lacing. Tastes like horse feed brewed in hog water. I won't buy this again. Terrible excuse for brew! Tastes like Colt45 malt liquor meets miller lite.

1.81/5  rDev -29.8%

Let me introduce Landshark island style lager or as I might call it over carbonated lightly filter wet socks in a bottle. When you pop the top you get that slight fiz sound followed by a odd oder of possibly lime and carbon. If you haven't guessed I don't like this beer it's way over carbonated and has just a watered down taste. Not a fan and a rock solid C- .

2.87/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Drunk from a 12 oz bottle. Bright, clear yellow gold with some white foam. Mild aroma and taste: cracker malt, light grassiness and slightly sweet. Light bodied and fizzy. Typical beach beer.

4.55/5  rDev +76.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

To preface this review, I am new to beer and come from a spiced rum and coke back round. I am still acquiring a taste for beers, so this review may be better suited to those just getting into beer that may not be ready for full bodied or hops filled beers...
Cans and bottles scream let's party! Cases are around 25-28 bucks here in PA.
Bright label and can colors say it's time to hit the beach... This beer is a light pale yellow in color. I have only drank from bottles and cans, never pouring into a glass. The carbonation is bubbly and plentiful.
The aroma is a hint of lemon lime and crispness. No heavy beer aroma from bottle or can.
This is not a "beer snob" beer. It is very light (a bit more taste than Coors Light) & has a crisp finish with little aftertaste.
This beer is very drinkable, and goes down quickly. It has a nice kick to it, and is a perfect partner to light fare and crab pickin'. It's lack of full body and lightness are what appeal to newer beer drinkers. You don't need to acquire a beer taste to enjoy this beer. I would consider it a perfect hot summer day beer for those that typically would drink mojitos, wine coolers, or some other adult beverages. It is a step above Coors Light & Bud Light, while remaining lighter in flavor than a Miller Lite.

1.96/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Combine a slightly fishy taste, with a strong straw-like taste. Not a good offering from Budweiser. 'Fins up' is their slogan, unfortunately the fish like taste lives up to it. Pretty can, though. They do everything they can to hide their Bud roots, except I bought in a 10 for $10 Bud display (Shock top, Mich, Bud lime...) and St. Louis origin.

1.79/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Bright, clear yellow color. Not that much head, head dissipated quickly.
Not that much taste to it. Light malt, not that much hop could be discerned.
Very watery, bland aftertaste. More than a bud light, but still not comparable to several better ones.

2.08/5  rDev -19.4%

Tried this beer at Chicago's Navy Pier Beer Garden since they sponsored the place. I hate to say it but I have to agree with most of the other comments about this beer - it wasn't that good. I like lagers but I did not like this one at all. Even worse was how much I paid for it. Oh well lesson learned.

2.07/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Look, I am Parrothead and love Jimmy Buffett's music. But Jimmy is a master marketer and could sell ice cubes to an Eskimo. So . . . while Jimmy's music is high quality, his beer is crap . . . and he knows it. Another overpriced product made by Inbev that is ok if it is 95 degrees and the beer is in an iced cooler and you have a lime wedge. Otherwise, spend your $10 for a sixer on a good hefe.

1.37/5  rDev -46.9%

One of the few AALs that made me sick to my stomach. This was back when I wasn't such a beer snob, and I could stomach a twelver of Bud Light without incident. One Landshark Lager rendered my stomach so ill, I had no choice but to shoot Fernet. Thank you, Fernet.

4.35/5  rDev +68.6%

Drinking this beer now. I can say as an experienced beer enthusiast, this beer is refreshing and tasty (with a lime). Carbonated, smooth, tasty... what else could you ask for?

2.64/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I could find.

APPEARANCE: pours a pale, clear, light yellow color with one finger white head that slowly dissipated until just a thin layer of small bubbles remained, there was moderate lacing on the glass, medium carbonation

SMELL: bread and lime.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, it's grainy with not much malt sweetness up front, then you just get the taste of lime, there is very little hop presence.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation, finishes clean.

OVERALL: this is not a good beer, it reminds me of Bud Light lime, it's pale, fizzy and tastes like lime, to be fair, this beer would be appealing to people who do not like beer because it's tastes more like a soft drink but, it's definitely not for me.

2.72/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Stopped by at an old truck stop restaurant in town that I haven't been to since I was a kid. Didn't even know they were allowed to serve alcohol in these types of places but whatever.

Selection of beer was generic. 3 BMC light lagers, This, and Something called Victoria I will be trying after this.

Look - Pours yellow with a bit of a lime greenish tint with a large frothy white head that leaves a moderate amount of lacing. Carbonation is everywhere.

Smell - The usual graininess and a tad skunky.

Taste - Clean and crisp, Grains come through for the most part. A touch of sweetest and a bit of cooked corn.

Feel - Medium bodied with high carbonation. Doesn't coat the mouth and all remnants disappear upon swallowing.

Overall - It's another AAL. Better than BMC counterparts.

2.75/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pilsner glass. Pours with two finger's worth of white foam that shrinks to a half finger's worth within a minute and a half. Straw yellow in color with a plethora of bubbles supporting that little head. Has mild aromas of earthy/funky yeast that combine with the tiniest hints of adjunct corn malts, spicy hops, and bitter hops. Initial taste is strong with adjunct corn malts (wasn't expecting them to be so strong) that blend with mild spicy and bitter hop flavors. Mild adjunct rice malts flavor enter next and dominate the malt backbone as the corn malt flavors fade away, but spicy and bitter hop flavors proceed in strength. Finally, a hint of earthy/funky yeast flavors come in last as previous flavors (except corn malts because they died) persist. Light-bodied, highly carbonated, with an extremely crisp, yet thirst quenching finish. Perfect beer for a hot summer day on the porch or after mowing the lawn. Terrible beer to drink in a bar or any other situation where fun is occurring.

2.27/5  rDev -12%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.5

This is a Corona esq lager that I find not half bad. It's not great, but it's not the horrifying substance that most reviews claim that it is. Great for a hot summer night.

3.38/5  rDev +31%

I really like this beer. What makes it even better is my package store has it $0.99 for a 16oz can. Nice to be able to get a couple of these for a Friday night and only spend a $2,

1.68/5  rDev -34.9%

Very ugly shade of yellow in a clear bottle. Only reason I tried this is that my hotel has it for $0.25 during happy hour on Wednesdays. The second sip was only to confirm that the first sip really happened. Used the rest of the bottle as drain cleaner.

3.82/5  rDev +48.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

If you like Corona on the beach, then you'll like this beer. It's the microbrew version of a light, beachy beer. I don't love it, but it's a beer you can have a lot of on a hot summer day.

2.73/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

On draft at one of my favorite haunts. Never seen it and asked ahead of time if it was any good....should have steered clear based on the barmaids response. Maybe it will get better with this big plate of nachos that I'm about to eat but I doubt it. I'll be switching up after this one.

4.51/5  rDev +74.8%

One of my favorite beers. What sucks is winter time, no one buys it so it just sits on shelves. But summertime, one of the best beers. People waste money in Corona or expensive terrible Mexican beers. This "island style lager" is very smooth and light so goes great with any food also. 12 pack is 12$. Not too bad.

1.7/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Landshark incorporates a plethora of flavor, ensuring an infusion of fruity scents and tastes. The only problem is that it tastes like a fruity version of a mainstream American light lager.

2.45/5  rDev -5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I was drinking a ton of this stuff when it was in cans in my area. Used to be my lawnmower beer. Cooler on the mower full of ice cold Landshark cans wasn't the worst thing in the world, by far! Can't see myself picking them up in bottles for no real reason though.

Landshark Lager from Margaritaville Brewing Co.