Landshark Lager - Margaritaville Brewing Co.

Landshark LagerLandshark Lager

poor

poor

Margaritaville Brewing Co. visit their website
Florida, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Landshark Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,620 | Reviews: 469

this is a perfect lager for a hot sumers day or just sitting around the house...

Tastes good. Nice and refreshing. Its light. I like light beer, because i like how refreshing it is Ice Cold. I don't like drinking something heavy in the sun. This is perfect for fishing or bbq or a hot day.

Good, smooth

4.51/5  rDev +71.5%

One of my favorite beers. What sucks is winter time, no one buys it so it just sits on shelves. But summertime, one of the best beers. People waste money in Corona or expensive terrible Mexican beers. This "island style lager" is very smooth and light so goes great with any food also. 12 pack is 12$. Not too bad.

4.5/5  rDev +71.1%

Nice light aroma. Not too strong of an after taste. Good stuff.

4.4/5  rDev +67.3%

One of my favorite beers because it is all around great. From a bottle the apperance is very nice. The smell is hoppy with a little grass hints. The taste to me is great. It has a very crisp taste and a easy going mouthfeel. It is quite carbonated but it doesn't make the mouthfeel unberable. To the drinkablitly is great it goes down smooth and will defintley do the trick in my opinion one of the best island brews that brewed here in the states.

4.4/5  rDev +67.3%

This is a better version of a Corona. Add a lemon and it may make it a 5 but we didn't have any. Not sure why it gets such a bad rap on here but I enjoyed it. You can drink a lot of it and not feel heavy and the taste is solid and palatable for many servings.

4.26/5  rDev +62%

Appearance: Crystal clear and light gold in color.

Smell: Slight hint of citrus.

Taste: Mild hops bitternes with some tartness and smooth creamy malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and refreshing.

Drinkability: I disagree with all the "beer snobs" that slammed this beer. It's truly refreshing and went great with my take home meal from Taco Bell. This is a great summertime or session beer. This is a beer that can go head to head with Mexico's Corona Extra (which I like in the summertime).

4.2/5  rDev +59.7%

A great and easy drinking beer in the summer and dreams of hot weather in the fall and winter. It is a lot fresher then most Mexico beers. I love it. I don't care who makes the beer and that should not matter. It comes in 6 packs and 12 pack bottles. I wish it came in cans.

4.2/5  rDev +59.7%

One of the easiest to drink and one of the most refreshing beers out there. Jimmy Buffett knows his market (summer pounder beer)! The only complaint I have is that this beer (along with Red Stripe & Corona) are way overpriced for the style of beer. You can buy a comparable Rolling Rock for 1/2 the price. If I spend $9 a six pack, I'm buying a craftbrew with high quality ingredients not this type of beer.

4.15/5  rDev +57.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Great go to beer! smooth lager. Not too strong! Great for relaxing get-togethers and just chilling on a hot summer day.

4.13/5  rDev +57%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

This beer is pretty good.

4.1/5  rDev +55.9%

This just arrived in PCB. Like Corona down to the bottle & marketing. Lacks the bitterness that makes Corona a more slowly drinking beer (and pretty good warm). My novice girlfriend noticed no difference to most other beers I try. I agree with the previous review that, considering the obvious "beachy" appeal, this should have a citrus flavor- I add lime. A-B could have re-marketed Tequiza as this and I would have been pleasantly surprised. A good beer for a beach day or Florida BBQ, but at $7.00/6pack, little reason to not just get Corona. The Jacksonville edge gives it a little taste of the tropics, but it lacks the originality of the craft beer it is meant to be. Ultimately, it ranks with Red Stripe, Corona, and others as an obvious choice for Parrotheads and other beachgoers, but it is just that--- a summery MOOD beer.

4.04/5  rDev +53.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is a nice golden yellow color sorta like a corona color, it smells great and taste similar to a light beer mixed with corona. its really easy drinking beer and i could drink this easily on a hot summer day or with a nice meal. Its not a heavy beer so its perfect for me.

4.03/5  rDev +53.2%

this is a very nice beer--it reminds me of red stripe and the other beers from jamaica/trinidad. a little cirtrus, reminds of the caribbean, nice light color, tangy, crisp. a very drinkable beer, easy to have a second. i have mostly found it at stadiums in dc and new jersey, and it is reliably tasty and tangy, i choose it above most others.

A better version of corona

Believe it or not i like the adjunct style. I may not like the BMC adjunct lagers anymore, but i like high quality adjuncts. This is light. and sometimes, thats just what is needed. Pours a nice golden color. I like looking at this beer in a pilsner glass. bought one today and this looks nice in it. Its kind of low in complexity, but lagers for the most part are, or at least, so i've noticed. This is good. It beats bud light anyday.

Light looking beer. Had this with dinner at cheeseburger in paradise. This went well with dinner. Slight foam, goes down smooth. Could really drink several of these. No bad aftertaste. Not filling. I hope they come out with possibly darker versions of this beer or different variations. A little more hoppy taste would be good.

3.95/5  rDev +50.2%

I'm not sure I find it helpful or relevant when folks rate a beer like Land Shark and use a language that clearly shows that they are comparing it to darker or more full bodied beers like reds and browns. I respect your opinions, but in my mind rating a beer does not mean you rate it as to the preference of the beer type you prefer. Would you compare a Riesling to a Cabernet? Of course not. Can you imagine rating a Riesling and then saying you detected no tannins? If you are going to compare or rate Land Shark Lager, then wouldn’t it be better to compare and rate it against other light lagers? I like reds and browns better too, but certainly not on a hot summer day. Sometimes I just want a lighter beer so I can eat my burger and then go out and toss the frisbee around on the beech. So compared to other lagers of similar weight, Land shark is a darned good beer. It has a hint of citrus, grass, and just a tiny hint of grains and corn—just as a light, refreshing, thirst quenching lager should.

3.91/5  rDev +48.7%

Had a nice cold bottle of this with a little lime wedge in it. In comparing it to Corona it really felt a lot smoother and the taste was very unoffensive, unlike Corona. It had a sweet maltiness to it and went down pretty easy. When looking for a real light beer to enjoy, this isn't a bad choice.

3.88/5  rDev +47.5%

You have to grade this beer for what it is, an American adjunct lager.

Beer has a nice clean (i poured from a 16 oz can) aroma and crisp taste. Nice easy drinking beer any time and especially in the hot weather, which is what the beer tries to be..."Island style lager"

Not all beers need to be IIPA's to be good. If you want an easy drinking, well made American lager, give this beer a try

3.87/5  rDev +47.1%

I was expecting another Corona type beer...
(thin and very little flavor, but a nice lawnmower brew.)
I was pleasantly surprised when I took the first sip...more body and malt came through. I felt it was well balanced for the style.
I would put this a step above Corona. As an American style lager I would rate this one better than many. A good session beer.

3.84/5  rDev +46%

Poured from 16 oz. “beach conservation” can into standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden hue with a fluffy two-finger bone white head that actually takes a while to dissipate. Really decent lacing is left on the glass.

Smell: Mild hops, very grassy, mild citrus notes

Taste: This is a really light tasting beer, but the flavors that are present are nice. You can taste mild hops and a definite grass taste, with a very watery backbone and light citrus tinge. Everything is just so mild, but it’s nice for the style.

Mouthfeel: It’s a light body, but heavier than most AALs, with a very high amount of carbonation. It’s insanely drinkable and refreshing.

Overall: One of the best AALs I have had yet. If I’m ever in the mood to get sloshed on something light but with good flavors, this would certainly be a valid option.

3.83/5  rDev +45.6%

So popular. The t-shirts. The banners. The bottle openers. Everyone's sporting landshark but does anyone really know what it is? Or what it tastes like?

Appearance (3.75) : I'm having a good time with heads tonight. This one pours a super creamy, tightly knit two fingered head that doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. The body color is what I would call a mellow gold. It's pretty, actually. Transparent and excellent clarity. It's rare to have a good appearance in an adjunct lager, so I'm throwing the 3.75 out there.

Aroma (3.5) : Wait. Is this impressive...? There's no skunk or rotten corn like I expected. Instead it has a fresh melon-light fresh corn aroma with a hint of hop in the background. It's surprisingly fresh and respectable. It's not amazing, but it's way better than I expected.

Taste (4) : Damn. It's actually decent. There's not much there but what it has is spot on. Lightly hopped corn and barley malts quickly morph into effervescence and a dry (comparatively) finish. This brew is actually decent! I'd grab this in a cooler of macros - NO DOUBT. Easy drinking, nice subtle flavor, and doesn't taste like a rusted vat of corn mash nightmares.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : Light bodied, as to be expected. Carbonated, also to be expected. Ends dry at the back of the throat. The hop dryness is a great addition.

Overall (3.83) : I desperately wanted to trash this beer because I hate how much publicity Landshark gets. I thought it was going to be horrible. A drain pour, even. But honestly, it's better than most of the macros out there by a nose, and it seems to be readily available and cheap to purchase. It's not amazing, but heck, it does the trick. You owe it to yourself to try this with a burger, a dog, or by itself on a hot afternoon.

3.82/5  rDev +45.2%

A - A very clear, golden color

S - smells like a light lager

T - tastes very crisp and light, reminds me of a beach setting almost. Very summertime beer.

M - no overbearing flavors, kind of taste wheat in the aftertaste

D - very easy to drink, very light.

I like this particular beer, during a summertime setting or a chill night. Like it says on the bottle, its an "Island Style Lager" which makes sense cause this is the type of lager you would want to drink while on the white sands of a caribbean island.

Landshark Lager from Margaritaville Brewing Co.