Landshark Lager - Margaritaville Brewing Co.

Landshark LagerLandshark Lager

poor

Margaritaville Brewing Co. visit their website
Florida, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2007

Reviews: 439 | Hads: 1,630

This beer rates right up there with Beast Ice, in other words, it's the most disgusting excuse for beer I've ever been conned into sampling. It was free, and worth every penny. Tastes like a cross between dirty dishwater and rotten bananas. Bad, bad beer. Something only assholes would drink there's no Coors to be had. (319 characters)

1.1/5  rDev -57.7%

12 oz. bottle. Pours a light-medium yellow (pee) with a very small off-white/yellowish head. Smelled like sweat, straw/hay and lime. Very thin body with a watered down corn flavor. Finished a bit salty. Not good, I'm not really sure how people can drink this. (259 characters)

1.1/5  rDev -57.7%

Tried one due to a billboard covering an entire building coming out of the Miami airport. Should have known better. Fizzy water. Marketed by Jimmy Buffet. Again, should have known better. Would have given it all 1's save for a 1.5 for drinkability. If you're really thirsty and there's nothing else available anywhere, then I'd drink this. But only then. (354 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -56.9%

clear bottle with yellow contents. Poured into a pils glass it has a lively appearance with tons of carbonation. Loose, foamy, white head has good retention.

Dry grass and sweet grain are the primary smell and flavor of this brew. Wet cardboard and damp dish towel type off flavor as well. This was a hard one to find redeeming quality. Aftertaste lingers. Not clean at all. Bad.

Notes: Couldn't reccomend this to anyone even after a hard days work. (453 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -52.7%

A- clear yellow color with a head that doesnt last more than a second or two.

S- corn, some sweetness, and cereal

T- corn wet cereal soggy taste. like someone left corn flakes in a vat of water for a few days, skimmed out the chunks and voila. tastes like someone just dumped yeast/bread on my tongue and not beer.

M- thin bubbly and watery.

D- absolutely one of the worst beers I have had. I really can't describe the horrid shuddering aftertaste mine had. I hope that this was just a weird bottle and they wouldn't vend something like this. NOT recommended in any way (575 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -52.7%

Pale yellow with a one finger white head which disappears immediately. No lacing.

The smell and the taste are both corn dominated. Somewhat sweet. Not much else going on with this beer.

Light bodied, thin, and watery. No need to try this again. Avoid. (254 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -50.8%

I don't like to put bad reviews out there...but come on, this was horrible. I don't even know why I bought it this when there was Sierra Nevada Pale Ale right next to it. Anyways, I was told that this was the bomb and that it tasted like a refined Corona. Instead of ice cold mexican p***, it was a refined American ice cold p***. Poured flat. Smelled like a honky tonk men's bathroom. Tasted...the same. M/D kinda made me want to gag. Don't buy one or six... don't drink one... and definitely pass on this next great beer. Again, I don't like to give bad reviews but sometimes I have to give credit where credit is not. (620 characters)

1.3/5  rDev -50%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Now we're in the digs. I'm not going to go off on a rant about how much I hate Jimmy Buffet (suffice it to say that I hate him very deeply). Nor am I going to talk about how infuriating it is that Jimmy shares my political views and general outlook on life but does so in a way that's so braindead and homogenic that his fame actually angers me. Not gonna do that, either. What I will do is say I tried very hard to avoid this beer. Even after it got ridiculous amounts of PoP support, even after all my friends told me how totally amazing it was.

What I will say is that I honest-to-god approached this beer with an open mind. I tried very hard to judge it on its merits, to not let it be tainted by my prejudice. That was much, much more effort than it was worth.

Pours piss limp, less impressive even than Bud Light. Smells equally limp, like water with some mild beer sweetness. But where it really fails, where it nearly joins the ranks of Hamm's and Fat Cat, is in the flavor. It tastes like cardboard and wood. Lick a dirty coffee table and you'll get an approximation of the flavor.

Avoid. (1,101 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -48.8%

Looks like every other adjunct ever -- straw color, thin white head. Smells like nothing, virtually no smell -- maybe a little corn or a little rice (some sort of adjunct.) Tastes like corn with a little sweet malt with a hop dry finish. Mouthfeel is awfully thin (like most in its class.) Drinkability is a complete joke. Another beer for the people lost in the abyss (not the beer) of mass market beer. (404 characters)

1.33/5  rDev -48.8%

A Corona clone. Plain and simple. But even Corona is better than this.

This is the brightest fizzy, yellow beer I've ever seen through a clear bottle. I didn't even pour it into a glass. I popped the top on the heavy glass bottle (yes, the bottle is heavy) and began to drink up. There is virtually no aroma other than a light lemon scent and even that is scant. The taste is not good. It tasted like dish soap. Not like I drink alot of dish soap, but I couldn't get past the soapy taste of it. Must be me regressing to having to eat soap for swearing as a kid. Shades of a Christmas Story, ya know.

Overall, this is an overpriced, nasty tasting lager. I'd take a Stroh's, PBR, High Life and yes, a Bud 100x over over this beer. (730 characters)

1.37/5  rDev -47.3%

Pretty much just like Corona

Pale Yellow color with very small head.

Faint smell of grain. Raw aroma as well. Not pleasant.

Taste is slightly sweet up front, over ripe citrus flavor afterwards. After-taste is raw, watery and just very bad.

As with many Macro Lagers. Of very little redeeming quality. (304 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -45%

From Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville? As if such a place existed. One more lousy, fizzy, mass produced lager. Sold in clear glass bottles so as to insure skunking. Pours clear. Thin bodied. Awful finish. What a waste of resources. Pouring down the drain might cause water pollution. Puts the VILE in Margaritaville. [eh! Even the puns are lousy with this one.] (360 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -43.1%

Ya know, let's skip the normal review of this beer, and just call a spade a spade.

This grainy corn husk brew reeks at all level. It's just a market brew to try and grab some market from Crapona. Better put a lime to it, it will turn your stomach otherwise. And this crap runs high dollar for a sixer - yep, a fool and his money ....

(Oh, wifey got this when she went to the store for some Wit type beers. Man, my work is still cut out for me). (446 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a super light yellow color lager with a small fizzy head with almost no retention. Aroma consists of light corn adjunct. Taste is dominated by lightly sweet adjunct with almost no other discernable characteristics. Body is quiet watery with average carbonation. This one was a very light and watery version of a macro. (333 characters)

Original Rating Date:
June 7, 2008

My father brought some of these home this afternoon. Clear bottle is an immediate turn off, I'm preparing myself for massive skunkitude. Skunky smell, weak watery taste. Most light beers look watery, but this looks especially watery in a way that I can't quite put my finger on. The only thing I can really say about this beer is that it's like Corona but not quite as terrible. Which isn't much to say at all. Bad beer, pass on it unless it's free. I was actually mad that I dirtied a glass with this beer. (543 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Grabbed a sixer from somewhere because of the cute bottle...

Pours almost completely clear with a yellow tint. Actually look a lot better than I expected. Strangely mesmerizing in its clearness. Head is better than expected too. Not very fizzy.

First time I've ever smelled a beer and said "Eww." Does not smell good at all. Smells bad. My wife took a whiff and said "This smells like f***ing puke!" I wouldn't go that far but it definitely smells bad. Do I dare taste?

I dare. Tastes like an old corn cob. Without butter or pepper. Not completely offensive like the foul aroma, but far far from good.

Gonna have trouble finishing this. I'm far too stubborn to pour it out. Must.... give.... it... a... fair... chance. The other five, however, I'll save for some of my drunken friends to mooch. I might even leave 'em in my beer cellar so they will think its special.

I shall never purchase this swill again. (913 characters)

1.51/5  rDev -41.9%

Well, now I can say I've tried it. I'm a Parrothead, and was really looking forward to giving this one a shot. I get it in the bottle at Jax 5th Avenue in Orlando.

It showed up in a clear bottle shaped almost exactly like a Corona bottle. For all I know it may be one with the label scraped off. It's a very pale yellow-gold. Poured a rather bland, dull color with little head.

The aroma was corn sweet. Just like I had taken a can opener to a can of corn. I got no hops (not surprising, given the style) but also no malt. Just corn.

Unfortunately, the aroma matches the taste. It tastes like canned corn. No hoppiness detected whatsoever. It's dry, sweet, and what little beer flavor sneaks through fades remarkably fast, leaving nothing but that lingering corn aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is heavier than one would expect for a light lager. In this case, that really isn't helping matters.

I should have known I was in trouble when the bartender kind of chuckled as I ordered this, and immediately asked "Lime?". I turned it down, and wish I hadn't. It would've helped. There was nothing beyond corn, otherwise. Not that I put lime in my corn, mind you but hell, anything would've improved this. I was so, so disappointed. I wasn't expecting the world from a light lager, but come on. Seriously? Libby's should sue. I'd not recommend this to anyone. (1,365 characters)

1.52/5  rDev -41.5%

I bought this beer on a whim from a gas station convenience store simply out of necessity and because I don't usually buy beer from this type of location due to the poor selection (bud, bud light, miller, miller light, schwill beer, etc). I ignored the fact that the color looked almost artificial, more yellow than Corona (blech). The first thing that came to mind upon smelling is, skunk. Seriously. I was shocked when I realized this 6 pack was $8.49. Definitely not worth the price. I'm not sure what the brewer was going for, but whatever it was, I'd chalk this up as a failure, unless the goal was to produce a nearly undrinkable beer. I managed to get through the six pack mostly because I hate to waste money even if it's on crappy beer, but had I know going into it that this beer was that bad I would've bought Miller Lite. I see some reviewers calling this a summer beer, man, Labatt's Blue is more of a summer beer than this ever could be. (951 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -41.2%

Poured from a 12 oz into a standard pint. This one could be a little old, the old folks were gifted it, and then regifted it to the bottom of their fridge for some one who dared...

Appearance: Surprising nice. Crystal clear, of course, but the head lasted atleast 3 minutes on an aggressive pour. Looks great for the style, though it kind of looks like it's trying too hard to be a Mexican adjunct lager.

Smell: Some of the worst that adjunct lager smell has to offer. Malt, Keystone light, sugar.

Taste: There was "corn" and crap malt up front, which wasn't offensive. That bled into sugar. Lots of sugar. Is this beer soda? I actually gagged on first sip. I don't want to pour this, but I might. This is one of the most offensive adjunct lagers I've ever had. Second gulp let the sugar settle with me a little more. Do people drink this though? Third gulp felt more like a gluten free beer i had earlier with lunch, but that was better. Fourth gulp made me realize how bad this is on the tongue, and how much sucks to smell as it comes to your mouth. This is really unsettling beer.

Mouthfeel: Really light with good moderate carbonation, actually. I'm surprised at how well they had the adjunct mouthfeel down. If this had a taste I could keep in my mouth besides forcing myself to analyze how they did with mouthfeel I may actually recommend it to people who drink the style regularly.

This is like if junk local adjunct tried to make a weird Mexican lager crossover. Mexican lager is already not usually good, this is bad. I think they could save this by investing in better ingredients, but that would probably cut into the profit margin. Also, killing the bottle cost and using a "plain" bottle and label may help cut costs to increase actual quality. While the appearance and mouthfeel are actually not bad, the funk smell and awful taste are bad enough to cut into my overall. This shouldn't be bought. Buy Tecate, Dos Equis or even Corona before this. (1,966 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -41.2%

12 oz clear bottle poured into an American pint - 2008 bottling - Fridge temp

Appearance: Pours a clear, pee colored beer and shows off a 3" head that is off-white. Carbonation flies to the top of the beer. Pretty good retention. Tentacles of foamy lace remain on the glass.

Smell: Very skunky. Rotten wood, urine, malt. Popcorn.

Taste: Sharp and crisply flavored. Very pale and very limited hops. A little skunky with a smooth finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and also smooth. This is the strongest quality of this beer. It's quite unassuming. No alcohol burn.

Drinkability: It would be decent if the taste and aroma weren't so horrible and skunky. Could be from the clear bottle. (678 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -40%

Looks can deceive. Looked good in the bottle. Poured nicely into my regular glass... Foamed up nicely, foam flattened out at a good rate. The color was very agreeable.

Smells and tastes less than good. Almost putrid/skunky but not quite. I can taste peanuts in it... which do not mesh with the standard beer-notes.

It is possible I had a bad bottle so I will review again next time I do an all-sorts pack from the market. (425 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -38.8%

Finger and half of head that was short lived. Clear, light straw colored body.
Smells slightly metallic and grainy. Barely any smell at all though.
It tastes a little metallic and mostly like water. Air has more taste.
Light body, too carbonated.
A solidly not good beer. A lot of nothingness. (294 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

When did Coors Light rename itself Landshark Lager?

Awful.

I need to fill this up to reach the minimum so I'll just say.

When did Coors Light rename itself Landshark Lager?

Awful.

Absolutely awful.

It might as well be coors mixed with half club soda. So gross. (266 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Sweet corn yellow topped by an attractive cap of eggshell colored foam that is much more fetching than the style average. The head has a great deal of persistence and lays down a fair amount of lace. Only the beer itself keeps the appearance score from the next highest rung of the ladder.

The aroma brings things screaming back down to earth. It took me a few sniffs to figure it out, but LL smells exactly like Kellogg's Corn Pops (I think they used to be called Kellogg's Sugar Pops when I was a kid). Its only saving grace is that I never have to smell it again unless I choose too.

It's no surprise that Landshark Lager is the single corniest beer that I have ever had the misfortune to drink. Miller High Life doesn't even come close. In fact, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if barley is the second most prominent grain.

It's moderately sweet and is only mildly bitter, though the finish achieves a grudging sort of balance. As for the claim that it's 'brewed with a complex blend of hops'... predictably laughable. This is the sort of crappy little lager that's barely tolerable when ice cold and borderline revolting as it begins to gain a few degrees... as it's doing now.

Maybe corn syrup is responsible for a body/mouthfeel that is light, yet also faintly slick and gummy. Those last two keep it from being as refreshing as it could be. Assuming one likes the flavor. Which is hard to imagine.

If Anheuser-Busch is so proud of their brewing prowess, why do they go to such lengths to conceal the true origins of beer such as Landshark Lager (Margaritaville Brewing Company) and Wild Blue Blueberry Lager (Blue Dawg Brewing)?

For those who care (all two of you), A-B, in the form of Landshark Lager, is now the official sponsor of Jimmy Buffett's concert tours, rather than Grupo Modelo, in the form of Corona Extra. Rather than brew another adjunct-riddled lager and put it in clear glass bottles with similarly colored graphics, why couldn't they have come up with something different and worthwhile? Yeah, I already know the answer. I just thought I'd throw it out there. (2,090 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

I had out of a 12 ounce bottle.
A- Gold, American lager style. Big bubbly head with good lacing and some bubbles.

S- Smells like an AMerican Macro.

T- Ugh. I want to like this because I like Jimmy Buffett but this is not a beer, it's bitter flavored water. No better than any American Macro, and I would take Bud, Coors or Miller over this. (342 characters)

Landshark Lager from Margaritaville Brewing Co.