Landshark Lager - Margaritaville Brewing Co.

Landshark LagerLandshark Lager

poor

poor

Margaritaville Brewing Co. visit their website
Florida, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Landshark Lager Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev +21.2%

This beer is a "hot weather thirst quencher beer"-- think of the kind you can pour and quaff down several when you really don't care about the ultimate brew craft involved. You don't care about the distinct flavor or its beer brewing craft characteristics. You might also serve this at a party where the guests couldn't tell one beer from another.

In total-- this beer is a bland American "big commercial brewery" style light lager.

I may wind up sampling it several times because I'll have forgotten that I've ever tried it.

One good thing I can say is that the drinkability is good. Relatively low ABV and probably a good thirst quencher served ice cold.

gueuzeonhigh, May 23, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -9.8%

A- Your typical lager, golden straw in color

S- Smelled metallic and not very nice. Mentioned this to the server, didn't get much of a response

T- Tasted just as metallic as it smelled. Not pleasant at all

M- A little thin and watery

D- Where I drank it, not very.

I was a little dissapointed in the beer, but that could have easily just been the location at which I had it. I am giving it a low score for now, maybe in the future I wil give it another look.

yax75, May 22, 2010
3.15/5  rDev +19.3%

This beer isn't going to compete with any quality beers but it is a decent mild lager. If you're looking for a unique beer, avoid it, but if you want a refreshing beer, it works.

The smell of Landshark is good, in spite of being in a clear bottle, I've had imports that smell like a family of skunks died in the bottle, this one is good, and the taste is decent too. If you want a reasonably priced beer that is better than your average mass produced lager, this beer will fit the bill.

dacubz, May 16, 2010
2.68/5  rDev +1.5%

The appearance is a nice golden yellow color with a medium sized pale head.

The aroma is a little sour, and yeasty but other than that not bad.

The taste is really bread like and tastes a bit sour in an unpleasant fashion. I do not think it is skunked, I just think it might be made that way.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are what I consider average, not detrimental but nothing makes it stand out.

AdamMY, May 16, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -0.4%

This poured a clear pale gold with moderate white head. It smelled like dirty grassy hops and sour lager yeast, with some lemon and wheat. It tasted like mild lemon and grassy hops, with sweet and sour lager yeast and bready malt. It was thin with lots of carbonation, and had a light bitter aftertaste. Overall this was a very generic pale lager. There wasn't much to enjoy in the scent or taste or body. It was at least light and crisp for summer drinking, similar to a Corona. Easy to consume, but not easy to justify drinking.

Pencible, May 13, 2010
3.03/5  rDev +14.8%

Land shark is a beer that only taste good with a lime, if u don't have a lime on hand don't bother drinking it, it is a good beer to drink if u like the style of beer it is, it's nothing special but u can drink them trough out the day especially if you on the beach out in the sun, I drink Land shark when I'm in the mood for something different I can only give it a descent rating for the fact that it is good only if your in the right atmosphere, so if your on the beach or on the boat with friends then you can enjoy this beer, as long as you brought limes!

A- Not impressed at all, almost looks cheap!

S- It's your average American Lager smell, really nothing inviting that grabs you like all right this is going to be awesome, unless you drop your lime in it before you take your first whiff, cause who don't like the smell of limes?

T- It's good as long as you have your lime floating around releasing it's fruity awesomeness, like I said I would only drink one if limes are available, if not I'll pass instead give me a IPA!

MF- Just below average nothing special, or something to brag about.

D- It's actually really good if you have that lime, and I know your probably sick of hearing about the lime, but come on no lime, no Land shark for me!

Kaiser777, May 07, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +31.8%

Found this at a discount food store, $1 for a bottle.
This is about the yellowist of the yellow beers I've seen.
Very clean tasting, very refreshing, no offensive after tastes.
I'll file this experience away as a positive one if I should ever encounter this brew again.

industrialswill, Apr 19, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -6.1%

I've never had this beer before, but i figured Margaritaville would be a good place to try it as an after dinner round of drinks.

It comes in a tall plastic cup, with just a thin cap of white foam atop a pale gold color. It looks very highly carbonated.

The aroma is not very good, but it's from the tap so at least it's not skunked from the clear bottle. It has some hay, grain, uncooked corn....not anything worth mentioning. Just stick a lime in the cup or bottle to cover this up.

The taste reminded me of a watered down bud or corona. Watery and plain up front, with an adjunct filled finish that includes corn and corn flakes, with a lingering aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is overcarbonated, thin, and lifeless. The high carbonation hurts the drinkability. After a few hesitant sips, I realized I had to choke some of this down quick and it wasn't fun. Stick a lime in here and it's tolerable, but I would rather have something else.

jeffthecheff, Apr 18, 2010
2.88/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance: Overall very flat. Pale neon yellow, highly carbonated. There's not much else to say here.

Smell: Smells kind of...salty...almost like the beach. Normally that's a bad thing, but given that you should probably drink this at the beach (I didn't) it's endearing.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Basically skunked Corona. (I know that's a redundancy for some people.) Maybe a bit more carbonated than Corona. Tastes like corn. Goes down averagely smooth despite heavy carbonation.

Drinkability: It's average, probably refreshing in the summer. Fairly carbonated.

Overall: I know I keep saying "Corona" but I feel like it's a fair comparison. Overall, it's neon, saltier, more carbonated Corona. It's fine. Stick to Corona.

tjsdomer2, Apr 15, 2010
3.05/5  rDev +15.5%

This is a dangerous beer. It has the lightness of a beer like rolling rock without the taste of alcohol. You could drink a lot of this and be really drunk with out really knowing what hit you. It is a really smooth beer to drink and there is not that much of a taste to it. It tastes very light in your mouth and doesn't even really smell like beer. A little expensive, but still a good beer.

smithza9, Apr 12, 2010
2.33/5  rDev -11.7%

On Tap at Sticky Wickett - it was FREE

L: Bright golden color, medium head with decent retention (surprisingly), and little lacing (no surprise)

S: Hint of malt and hops

T: Slightly sweet, grainy, mild hops. Bland

M: Light body, medium carbonation

D: There is not much flavor, so they could be pounded rather easily, but I prefer a LOT more flavor in my beer

Overall Impression: Not a fan of Jimmy Boofay's music or his version of Corona. I've had worse though. It's still better than Shit, and Shit Lite, but not much.

BeerGodz, Apr 10, 2010
2.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Apperance- Is a light yellow beer has a decent amount of carbonation

Smell- Has a lemon smell to it can some malt smell to it

Taste- Has the citrus taste to it but other than that seems almost like water.

Mouthfeel- Has a light body goes down smooth

Drinkability- Is a lighter beer, kind of plain would drink it on a hot day that's about it

Slygato, Apr 06, 2010
2.42/5  rDev -8.3%

The beer has a pale yellow color with a white head and much carbonation. The aroma seems to be a typical bland. The beer has a very light taste although a bit refreshing. When it is served very cold it is easy to drink. Neighbor served this for the first BBQ of the year, which had a tropical "Parrothead" sort of theme. On the bright side there was no Corona or Coors Light.

soju6, Apr 02, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -1.5%

Perhaps this is the first Adjunct Lager that I have reviewed. Why not.

A: This is better than your average looking macro lager. The body is completely filtered with surgical precision. A top the pale body is a whispy blanch white head and little bit more lace than expected.

S: The smell is vague, there is not a whole lot going on here, but it could perhaps be worse for the style. The adjunct ingredients come through and mentally reminds me of corn with some adjacent sweetness.

T: The taste is pretty bland, reminds me of water and someone left corn and a half wedge of lemon and lime.

M: It's light bodied, chuggable, with a fair amount of carbonation compared to some of it's competition.

D: For the style...meh, why not?

MPLS, Mar 16, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -7.2%

i'm reviewing Landshark Lager after a friend left one at my house.

Landshark Lager comes in a clear glass bottle, pours a very clear pale yellow with fingers of frothy white head.

it smells unremarkable, like sweet malt and corn.

corn is dominant, malts are sweet and pilsner-like. hops barely present. this being another mass marketed adjunct lager, it's not horrible. it actually reminded me of a poor pilsner.

mouthfeel well carbonated, dry.

= what can be said about this beer? no depth, only the sweet grass and adjunct tastes. it does what it does, which is facilitate inebriation in a expedient manner.

vdread, Mar 06, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a clear very light yellow with a smallish white head and no lacing. The smell is weak with some lemon and floral hints. The taste is light with lemon,lime,weak hops, and some earthy floral flavors. Not impressive. The m/f is light with the few flavors mixing Ok. Let's face it, this is a Spring Break get loaded beer in Key West. Not horrible, but not the best summer beer.

jmz62565, Mar 05, 2010
2.7/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Typical piss-yellow beer.

Pour: Half inch head, vanishes quickly.

Smell: At first crisp and citrusy, then finishes skunky like Corona.

Taste: Bitter at first, then finishes with light citrus then malt.

Mouthfeel: Like Soda pop.

Drinkability: You'll get tired of this after 2 of 3.

Overall: The first time I had this I really liked it, I don't know why. The Second time: son, I was disappoint. This beer does nothing to stand out beyond other light summer lagers. I wont buy this again. If I want a cheepie for a summer BBQ, I'll grab a Sapporo, Dos Equis or a Red Stripe before this.

oldbarrel, Feb 23, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -2.3%

Typical clear,golden yellow with very little head and zero lacing.

Not much in the scent, a little citrus.

Taste was average, seems to have almost a little lemon zest to it.

Very carbonated and crisp.

I usually keep some of this around for some of my less adventurous friends. Would be OK doing the yardwork, but I agree with a previous review--I'll just pick up some Rolling Rock to fill the yardwork need.

bigbluebeerguy, Feb 22, 2010
2.38/5  rDev -9.8%

I had never heard of this beer but, since i never heard of it and thus thought it might be interesting had much higher expectations of it.

My wife had this on draft and it was totally uninteresting. Yellow, fizzy, nothing outstanding. Good for a hot day but really not worth much.

However, see my bottle review.

david18, Feb 19, 2010
2.65/5  rDev +0.4%

On-tap poured into a pint glass.

A - Poured clear yellow color with minimal head that dissipated very quickly leaving no lacing around the glass.

S - Mostly grains and malt with slight hint of corn sweetness.

T - Very simple and straightforward grains but very watered down.

M - Very light bodied with medium carbonation.

D - Would not drink it again and wouldnt recommend it to anyone I like.

taigor, Feb 12, 2010
3.03/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a very light yellow color that is very clear with less than a finger of white head that receeds very fast. It is almost comical how once the bottle is cracked open, big bubbles of carbination race out of the solution. Strangely enough, if you look close there are small particles that are stuck in suspension and look like little fuzzers and pieces of stuff that does not resemble yeast...hmmm wonder what that is. Aroma has some sulfur notes and a bit of citrus and something reminding me of bubblegum. Taste is mildly citrusy with a very thin body and lots of carb with a crisp finish. Everything about it is your typical american adjunct except for the fruit/citrus factor which maybe is the "island lager" aspect of it. This isn't a type of beer that I would get thirsty for and go out of my way for, but I would drink a few after cutting the grass or doing yard work.

stakem, Feb 06, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -6.1%

I poured this crap into a pint glass to an inch of white head. It is yellow in color. It kind of captures that Corona "skunk" smell. It also smells like a tyipal adjuct lager, sweet malt. It tastes a little better than it smells but not much. I would rank it a little higher than Corona but that isn't much of a compliment.

Cheers!

buschbeer, Jan 31, 2010
3.28/5  rDev +24.2%

Insert standard "clear, pale straw yellow pour." Head retention is nil, but it does have quite a bit of carbonation rising from beneath. Smell's a hair on the skunky side and also smells very sweet. Goes down with ease and is a much better choice in August than January here in Ohio. I'd rather save a couple bucks and have sixer of Rolling Rock.

alkemy, Jan 31, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +67.8%

One of my favorite beers because it is all around great. From a bottle the apperance is very nice. The smell is hoppy with a little grass hints. The taste to me is great. It has a very crisp taste and a easy going mouthfeel. It is quite carbonated but it doesn't make the mouthfeel unberable. To the drinkablitly is great it goes down smooth and will defintley do the trick in my opinion one of the best island brews that brewed here in the states.

kdawg105, Jan 18, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured this into my Flying Fish pint glass. The beer is a piss yellow colour, reminds me of Corona a bit, fizzy white head with some lacing, smells of burnt corn and some skunk, tastes of burnt corn with a little bit of citrus. Refreshingly smooth and crisp carbonation. This is a beer I would only drink if desperate and in 90+ degree weather

tjd112, Jan 15, 2010
Landshark Lager from Margaritaville Brewing Co.