Landshark Lager - Margaritaville Brewing Co.

Landshark LagerLandshark Lager

poor

poor

Margaritaville Brewing Co. visit their website
Florida, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2007)
View: Beers (3) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Landshark Lager Alström Bros
bltzburgh

2.48/5  rDev -5.7%

Just had this beer last Night at our monthly beer club meeting. Was not a favorite of most their but also not hated either. Not a bad summer beer by the pool can sit and drink without getting full. Smooth not bad just really not very flavorful. Adding a slice of lime helps a bit but still just a medicocre Corona. If I was at a party and it was their I wouldn't not drink it.

Color was a light yellow, small head with little aroma.

Wouldn't keep it on hand.

09-02-2008 00:42:26 | More by bltzburgh
BeerTaster

3.75/5  rDev +42.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

For an American macro. Appearance clear golden color with two finger white head that settled and left a little lace. Smell clean and sweet malt. Taste sweet malt just a bit of hops to balance and very little adjunents. Mouthfeel light in body mediem carbonation. Drinkability good out of the bottle better out of the glass great for summer and good example of its style.

09-02-2008 00:17:16 | More by BeerTaster
MiScusi

3.95/5  rDev +50.2%

Had a nice cold bottle of this with a little lime wedge in it. In comparing it to Corona it really felt a lot smoother and the taste was very unoffensive, unlike Corona. It had a sweet maltiness to it and went down pretty easy. When looking for a real light beer to enjoy, this isn't a bad choice.

08-31-2008 07:30:55 | More by MiScusi
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

2.7/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass the liquid is a lite pale yellow with ok carbonation. The head is 2 fingers white and leaves little lace.

The smell is faint, semi malty with minimal hops.

Then taste is also faint to lite. slight maltyiness and little hops pretty watery, Sorry Jimmy but perhaps you had never tasted the brew before you put your name on it.

The mouthfeel is of sugar water with carbonation.

The drinkability is ok for a hot day on the beach, but not a well crafted brew for basic brew enjoyment. MK

08-27-2008 23:10:24 | More by MuenchenerKindl
marc956

2.03/5  rDev -22.8%

Good thing Jimmy Buffett has a lot more money at his disposal because this overhyped, overrated American Corona doesn't meet my taste buds.

Problem is, it's a cool looking bottle, but that only raised my expectations, which were soon lowered faster than the average Joe could finish off this beer.

And mind you, I have travelled throughout Mexico and appreciate a good lager on a hot summer day!

As stated above, it is overrated, overhyped and I wouldn't give one to my worst enemy. Maybe with a lime it would be descent, but the venue I had it at inexplicably didn't have any.

08-22-2008 08:41:13 | More by marc956
atigerlife

Hawaii

2.35/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a clear golden with a small, creamy white head. Light carbonation seen rising.

Aroma is sweet and grainy. Not much there.

Taste is of corn, light malts and sweet. Really, not much flavor, but not offensive.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, dry and clean.

Overall, certainly drinkable and sessionable, but there are many better macro lagers to try. This one just doesn't have much character.

08-17-2008 20:31:08 | More by atigerlife
Stinkypuss

2.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance. 12 oz bottle. Light clear yellow liquid with a small head that recedes to nothing.

Smell. Grains are the predominant factor in the nose, a bit bready.

Taste. A smooth, semi-sweet, dare I say drinkable lager. Ive had much better, but this is what I think a light beer should be. It has a decent amount of taste, in a plain pale malt fashion. No real hop profile aside from a small bitterness.

Mouthfeel:. Smooth and light on the palate, albeit a bit thin and watery.

Overall: Well, I put quite a few of these down tonight. It is drinkable. Would I seek it out, Hell No. But I would not turn one down if offered for free.

08-17-2008 13:03:11 | More by Stinkypuss
PatronWizard

1.5/5  rDev -43%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Grabbed a sixer from somewhere because of the cute bottle...

Pours almost completely clear with a yellow tint. Actually look a lot better than I expected. Strangely mesmerizing in its clearness. Head is better than expected too. Not very fizzy.

First time I've ever smelled a beer and said "Eww." Does not smell good at all. Smells bad. My wife took a whiff and said "This smells like f***ing puke!" I wouldn't go that far but it definitely smells bad. Do I dare taste?

I dare. Tastes like an old corn cob. Without butter or pepper. Not completely offensive like the foul aroma, but far far from good.

Gonna have trouble finishing this. I'm far too stubborn to pour it out. Must.... give.... it... a... fair... chance. The other five, however, I'll save for some of my drunken friends to mooch. I might even leave 'em in my beer cellar so they will think its special.

I shall never purchase this swill again.

08-15-2008 05:58:44 | More by PatronWizard
ahking

2.55/5  rDev -3%

Pours a very pale straw yellow color. Nice big carbonation bubbles, no head or lacing on the glass. Aroma is typical of a lager, even slightly pleasing - summer nights in the backyard, summer days on a boat. Taste is strange. Not crisp. Kinda overly sweet and cloying for a pale lager. I wish this could be more refreshing... Mouthfeel is decent. Nice carbonation. Drinkability is low due to the taste.

08-11-2008 04:29:30 | More by ahking
maddogruss

2.35/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured a bottle into a glass mug.

A: pours a straw yellow body with a white head with ok retention and some lacing along the glass.

S: A slight, malt smell, but nothing of great significance. Reminded me of a Corona.

T: Tastes just like a Corona, but smoother. The malt taste is evident, but it has a bit of a bitter aftertaste. Decent, but nothing impressive at all.

M: A light mouthfeel that seemed a bit overcarbonated. Fairly refreshing.

D: Drinks like a macro lager, but with a bit more taste. Went down all right, and a decent summer beer. But, like a Corona, you might need a lime to spice this one up.

08-10-2008 15:18:13 | More by maddogruss
MTNboy

Germany

2.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Appearance- It is a pale straw yellow color. Lots of white foamy head and bubbles

Smell- Slight citrus corn malt smell. A little citrus and some hops.

Taste- I hate compare but it was light and had not much to it. It reminded me of Corona Light.

Mouthfeel- Light and fizzy.

Drinkability- I would like to call it a party beer but it really isn't for the price. It is an alright hot day beer though

08-10-2008 13:04:01 | More by MTNboy
yelterdow

3.5/5  rDev +33.1%

Clear bottle with the code "08177 JA56" lasered on the back. Served at just over fridge temperature in a pint glass.

Appearance- Crystal clear straw gold, supporting a durable, snow white crown that hangs around for several minutes. There's good, sturdy lacing that sticks to a few areas in the glass.

Smell- Fortunately, this macro doesn't exhibit the usual cloying, sweet cooked vegetable nose that is so off-putting for some beers of the style. Instead, a definite malt presence comes forth slightly followed by a grainy, cereal-like aroma.

Taste- Aside from the finishing sweetness, the beer is definitely well balanced yet unremarkable. The use of adjuncts has completely smokescreened any true malt or hop character, but it's really easy and approachable. I'm happy that even while this warms up, in a glass, it never becomes offensive like many or most macro lagers from the big boys.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Definitely high marks for mouthfeel, as its carbonation is completely restrained yet purposeful. It remains good throughout the time in the mouth, and the swallow is easy. This would not suck as a thirst quencher come a hot day behind a mower.

08-10-2008 02:45:07 | More by yelterdow
merlin48

Kentucky

2.13/5  rDev -19%

Bottle pours a clear and sparkling, pale yellow body that is topped by a minuscle vanilla head. Aroma is stunted, with light notes of corn and a weak suggestion of vague hops. Light body is watery and heavily carbonated. Taste is unremarkable. Some adjunct sweetness and a balancing bitterness that is remotely suggestive of spicy hops. Nothing offensive here but as for an island lager give me a fresh Carib and some conch fritters.

08-07-2008 20:56:16 | More by merlin48
smerkinb

2.28/5  rDev -13.3%

After stopping on my way to the beach to get a pretty big haul, I couldn't make myself take my delicious findings and plop them in the sand to get all warm and be used to chase the salt out of my mouth. So I ended up mooching off my friend's stash of the Landshark.
I drank all of these out of the bottle. They all looked clear, light golden. Smell was corn--comparable to a Corona. Tasted decent, light and pretty refreshing. Left a bit of a nasty aftertaste and left my mouth feeling a bit like it had sand in it. Not something I would buy on purpose. Actually almost made me wish there was a sixer of Bud Light in the fridge. I guess at least I didn't "waste" my good beer....

08-04-2008 12:57:09 | More by smerkinb
DoubleJ

2.53/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The first time I heard about this beer was from a neon light at a restuarant in rural Arizona back in December. I thought it was a regional beer, but to my surprise I later discovered it was an AB product brewed in Florida. Now I can find it in a number of stores, such as Tom's Farm, where I purchased a single bottle. On to the beer:

Pale banana skin yellow in color, the head is fuzzy, bubbly, and holds up adequately. My nose is picking up signs of milled sweet corn and ethanol. Hey, is this a High Life? Could be, as it tastes similar to one, but with some rough edges. Okay at first sip, floral upfront with corn, it turns into boiled corn with bits of hot alcohol poking throguh the cracks. This beer is light in the mouth with a spritzy carbonation.

Passable hot weather brew and a small step above other island lagers. But this beer is not cheap, usually close to $9 a six-pack. Keep this beer cold.

(This review was done outdoors on a warm summer day listening to "Margaritaville".)

07-31-2008 22:26:15 | More by DoubleJ
RJLarse

Washington

3.03/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought a six pack of Landshark at a grocery store, poured in to a pint glass.

Pours a pale straw yellow color and is clear. A two finger airy foam head forms and leaves some lace on the glass.

Smell is a grainy corn smell.

Taste is a sweet soft fruit flavor like pears, with a bitter cereal flavor along side.

Mouth feel is wet and clean. Well carbonated.

Drinkable and better than I expected. But overpriced at $8.79 a six pack.

07-30-2008 05:14:09 | More by RJLarse
dmamiano

West Virginia

It is what it is. Not my favorite style, but I am reviewing it as it should be...a macro lager.
Very standard in appearance..light yellow with a small white head. No lacing.
Smell was also typical, some skunkiness mixed with some hops.Open aired, nothing substantial to grab in the nose or on the palate.
Very as much as expected.

07-29-2008 00:36:33 | More by dmamiano
weissbierdrinker

2.88/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a clear golden color with a crisp white head that disappears to fast, and leaves some lacing around the glass.

smell is mild with some sweet corn notes.

Taste is corny at firsy then turns a bit sweet and Watery the finish is a bit dry.

This is a good beer for a HOT day by the beach but is also not worth the price, it's not to bad a beer but it's not very complex either, and if you drink to much, it becomes to sweet and heavy on the stomach. I would drink it again. I have mixed feelings about this beer. It's not as bad as some make it out to be, but it's also not great, but is worth a try. Just my opinon.

Like I said good for a hot day.

07-27-2008 01:11:50 | More by weissbierdrinker
UFGUY2122

1.93/5  rDev -26.6%

A-Pours a clear yellow with a head that fades quickly. Leaves no lacing.

S-Faint smell of corn.

T-There is little taste up front, I think this is because it's at a little cooler temp than I would normally review a beer. The flavor that comes through is mostly that of corn.

M-Succesful in getting a pretty light mouthfeel with moderate carbonation for the summer months. Thin and watery in the mouth.

D-For me personally the drinkability is not high because of the flavor. But objectively, looking at this beer from the perspective of an individual who enjoys this type of summer lager, the drinkability is at least average given the carbonation and relatively low alcohol content.

07-20-2008 00:32:07 | More by UFGUY2122
Vancer

1.48/5  rDev -43.7%

Ya know, let's skip the normal review of this beer, and just call a spade a spade.

This grainy corn husk brew reeks at all level. It's just a market brew to try and grab some market from Crapona. Better put a lime to it, it will turn your stomach otherwise. And this crap runs high dollar for a sixer - yep, a fool and his money ....

(Oh, wifey got this when she went to the store for some Wit type beers. Man, my work is still cut out for me).

07-19-2008 23:21:29 | More by Vancer
SLeffler27

2.23/5  rDev -15.2%

A thin head casts a shadow over a clear, pale yellow without any interest, except for the continuous stream of carbonation. Sadly, the novelty of its marketing is far more appealing than the reality of this beer.

The typical, stale-grass smell, reminiscent of days when I knew no better.

Totally one dimensional without any appealing qualities whatsoever.

Lacks any character beyond carbonated water.

Landshark is easily drinkable if you can find any reason to do so.

07-19-2008 22:59:38 | More by SLeffler27
chefnash51

Connecticut

2.88/5  rDev +9.5%

Someone bought this over my house and left one behind.

I am reviewing this beer as the style it is..as an American Macro Lager.

A - poured thin and straw yellow. Head was minimal

S - Corn Macro lager smell

T - Simple straight forward taste. Crisp, corona like.

M - Very thin.

D - Easy to drink. Not offensive at all. Doesn't leave much memory of what I tasted.

On a super hot day outside, this would be refreshing, but I would still prefer a Wheat beer.

For what it is. I say it's pretty average.

07-18-2008 14:51:29 | More by chefnash51
JDK

3.28/5  rDev +24.7%

Not much to say about this brew except that it is very refreshing on a hot summer day.
Pretty typical taste and smell of the mass brewery beers.
I had been told that it was a competitors version of the Corona but I liked it a lot more.
Worth a try when you don't want to waste your "good" beers trying to quench your thirst.

07-18-2008 13:20:15 | More by JDK
cvstrickland

2.45/5  rDev -6.8%

12-ounce bottle poured into a shaker pint glass yields a pale yellow body with a flash of white foam that fizzes out quickly to a tiny ring that leaves a speck or two on the glass.

Smell is corny sweet with a zip of lemony citrus and sulfur.

Taste is corny sweet with a tart note.

Thin, watery and crisp.

07-17-2008 21:42:24 | More by cvstrickland
epiinephriine

2.95/5  rDev +12.2%

I'm no fan of generic tasting lagers. However, I believe this beer does have its place. This week I moved into a new home. It was super hot out and we were all working vary hard. I had some Bell's Pale Ale on hand, and my father brought some Landshark. Given the fact that we were rather dehydrated, the Pale Ale was certainly not the type of beer we wanted to be drinking due to its lack of thirst quenching capabilities. The Landshark on the other hand hit the spot. It has low alcohol content, thus causing less dehydration, and little flavor to speak of making it more refreshing, like water. I wouldn't suggest sampling this brew, as you would an Imperial Stout for instance; nor would I bother to pour it into a glass. But, if you're looking for something out of the ordinary, but still want it to taste ordinary and refresh on a really hot summer day, this is your beer.

07-11-2008 16:17:05 | More by epiinephriine
Landshark Lager from Margaritaville Brewing Co.