Landshark Lager - Margaritaville Brewing Co.

Landshark LagerLandshark Lager

poor

poor

Margaritaville Brewing Co. visit their website
Florida, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Landshark Lager Alström Bros

3.3/5  rDev +25.5%

Pours a pale golden yellow with 1/2" of dense, foamy head that has good retention. The nose is sweet and grainy with faint grassy hops. The taste is sweet and corny with some faint pilsner malt and and faint grassy hops in the finish. The mouthfeel is light and crisp with decent carbonation.

This is a pretty decent beer for the style. There aren't any off flavors, but it is a little sweet. I'd drink this again.

2.98/5  rDev +13.3%

Straw colored with a fading head, no lacing and lots and lots of bubbles.

Smell is of grain, corn, slight malt and maybe some hops.

Taste is grassy and corny with not a ton of flavor. Goes down nicely with light body and high carbonation. Very refreshing lager.

A decent adjunct that is great for tailgating or parties, but bad for when you wan to enjoy a well crafted beer. Nothing offensive about it but there just isn't much there.

Pint glass with lime.

A: pale straw with no head. Not too bad for the beach. Persistent bubbling.

S: faint corn and citrus. No hops.

T: tastes like some kind of very watery corn lime soda. No hops, very little malt. Pretty refreshing on the beach but does it need to be so alcoholic ?

M: pretty drinkable in same way as ginger ale.

1.8/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

This one pours a clear golden yellow color with a cap of white head. It settles quickly though.

I feel redundant when I review beers like this but they aren’t much different I guess. The aroma is light and grainy with a touch of sweetness in the end. Grainy and sweet with a little bit of must on the pallet. Seems to have a bit of a metallic finish here.

The body is light with lively carbonation. Overall this one is off putting. Seems to have some flavors that just don’t belong.

2.55/5  rDev -3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz Bottle

Appearance – Clear light yellow colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is almost no lacing. The head lasted for around 4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains, bread, corn, skunk

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste malts and very light hops mixed with corn/vegetables. It finishers with grainy aftertaste with a hint of corn syrup sweetness.

Overall – It's not horrendous.. especially when drank very cold right from the bottle. But still, there is no reason why I would ever buy this beer again.

3.35/5  rDev +27.4%

I mean what do you want out of this product.

If it's 100 degrees out and you're at the beach, this will do. Not great but for mass production it's on the better end IMHO.

For people who drink coors light and miller light this is a step in the right direction albeit a small one.

Change it up from Corona and the like.

1.43/5  rDev -45.6%

From Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville? As if such a place existed. One more lousy, fizzy, mass produced lager. Sold in clear glass bottles so as to insure skunking. Pours clear. Thin bodied. Awful finish. What a waste of resources. Pouring down the drain might cause water pollution. Puts the VILE in Margaritaville. [eh! Even the puns are lousy with this one.]

2.85/5  rDev +8.4%

A middle of the road, light lemon yellow, blah lager with a decent head. Citrusy, crisp, will quench a thirst, but so does Gatorade; MUST DRINK ICE COLD ! When it warms up it transforms into a witches brew of tinny metallic flavors.

Since I need 20 more characters for this review, do not insult Jimmy Buffet by playing "Margaritaville" when trying this!

2.03/5  rDev -22.8%

why do I do this to myself? I try to sample all kinds of beer, thinking that maybe some brewer somewhere has something unique or interesting twists. Not so here.

Ok, so it looks alright. Pale yellow, big foam.

Horrid aroma. Just shy of gagging. Old corn, sugar, and burnt tin foil. Arsenic? Jeez

Tastes the same as the nose. Although not as salient. It's cold, and that's good. I don't want to try this warm. Sweet, corn, stale malt, old sock. Drain pour

2.15/5  rDev -18.3%

A below average American adjunct lager.

It goes down easy and is a good thirst quencher if served ice cold.
And I have to admit, I like the packaging.

Those are the only two things this beer has going for it.

Once it warms up, the yucky flavors come through.

Makes no sense to buy this when Miller, Rolling Rock and Coors Light are so much cheaper.

1.5/5  rDev -43%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bottle: Poured a super light yellow color lager with a small fizzy head with almost no retention. Aroma consists of light corn adjunct. Taste is dominated by lightly sweet adjunct with almost no other discernable characteristics. Body is quiet watery with average carbonation. This one was a very light and watery version of a macro.

2.55/5  rDev -3%

Dang, I CAN't believe how quick some people are! I just picked up a four-pack in CANs while on a week-and-a-half trip to BAL and DC and just sat down to review it, but I am not the first to do so from a CAN. The CANQuest (TM) is not easily impressed, but for those who beat me to the punch, CANgratulations!

From the CAN: "Hesmisphere Danger"; "Fins Up!"; "Welcome to Fin Land Tour 2011"; "Island Style Lager"; "Limited Edition 16 oz. C[AN]".

That last always puts me in mind of a lyric from the Sex Pistols' "EMI" - "Limited edition with an unlimited supply". Hee hee. The Crack & Glug was uneventful, but I was reminded of Little CANned Riding Woody: My, what a big head you have! Two-plus fingers of dense, creamy, bone-white head with excellent retention. Color was a pretty lemon-yellow with lots of CO2 bubbles and NE-quality clarity. Nose was as close to awful as I have put my schnoz near in a while. It smelled like a combination of slilage (fermented corn cobs stored for pig feed in the winter), which I CAN abide in the style, but it also had a metallic twang which makes people think that it was caused by the CAN rather than the brewing process. Mouthfeel was unobtrusive, just better than watery, surprising, given all of thee carbonation in evidence. The taste, however, was not too bad. It was very sweet, like candy that uses corn sugar, but it did not evince the metallic smell I noticed on the nose. It tasted like a sweeter version of a style that I have tasted many, many times over. Finish was moderately sweet, but overall, it was a pretty boring beer. I now wonder which/what island it used as its style so that I CAN avoid visiting there.

3.23/5  rDev +22.8%

The taste is fine and I could imagine sipping this all day on the beach. I would for sure get this over a Corona just to be different. I am a big fan of the look and feel of this beer. There wasn't too much head or retention and it looks about the same as a Corona or other macro brews.

2.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Drank a few tall-boy cans at a Round Rock Express Triple A baseball game the other night.

Did not pour into a glass, so I'm giving appearance and smell both a 2...who knows, that may be a bump up.

I'll tell you what, at $2.50 a pop for a 16 oz can at baseball game when it's over 100 degrees outside, I thought it kind of hit the spot. Certainly nothing to write home about, but no ill aftertaste...just a basic, american adjunct lager...

If I poured this into a pint glass and drank it indoors, I would probably give lesser marks...but to be honest, it wasn't all bad under the circumstances. I still think it was better than bud light and coors light as far as the aftertaste was concerned.

2.08/5  rDev -20.9%

I was in the market for a "fizzy, yellow beer" to drink after a day in the sun that came in a clear bottle since I didn't have proper glassware. Wish I would have stuck with the old stand-by, Miller High Life. This tasted like next to nothing - some grain sweetness and less carbonation than I was hoping. Drank from the bottle, so the aromas were almost undetectable..cereal factory smells maybe. I also paid $7 plus tax and crv for these, and I could have almost had a twelver of the champagne for that price. Had one while hiking the next day, and let me tell you that these guys need to be ice cold to get down.

2.13/5  rDev -19%

Bought this in 16-oz. cans to go to a pool where glass wasn't allowed.

A: pale, dull yellow. half-inch of head lingers for a few seconds.

S: barely recognizable smell of nickels.

T: dull, just dull.

M: thin and clean, only leaving a bitter, though fortunately faint, aftertaste.

D: I don't know why on earth I would ever buy this again when there are a thousand cheaper lagers at every filling station. I will grant that it doesn't leave me as bloated as, say, Miller or Coors, so given that narrow choice, I'd pick a Landshark. But geez I wouldn't be happy about it.

2.03/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours that slightly dehydrate urine color like Corona. Translucent with a ton of visible carb. Thick 2 1/2 finger foamy white head with medium retention and solid lacing.

Sour malt on the nose. Smells a little like vomit after a keg stand and a frat party.

Tastes like a standard, boring and typical embarrassment to beer like other adjunct American lagers. No real flavor to speak of. Maybe watered down pale malt.

Light bodied mouth with high carb.

Overall I think it's creative calling this an island lager, because the only time you might want to drink this flavorless embarrassment is if you were stranded on an island for months without water and a fire had ignited in your mouth that needed extinguishing.

1.75/5  rDev -33.5%

White head disapears immediately. Light straw in color. Boring!

No aroma! None! My girlfriend says it smells like Coors Light.

Does this have taste? Grain, cereal and very light hops when I really search for some flavor.

Light body, medium carbonation, a little dry.

Your typical macro tasting lager. No taste, no smell, nothing special at all. I guess, no smell is better than a horrible smelling beer, the same goes for taste. This is a WEAK lawnmower beer. Drink water.

1.88/5  rDev -28.5%

From 07/02/11 notes.

a - Pours a clear bright yellow color with two inches of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of corn, bread, grain, light vegetables. Not very good here, but not the worst adjunct lager I've had.

t - Tastes of corn, wheat, grain, light skunkiness, light vegetables. A step down from the nose.

m - Light body and high carbonation. Little bit watery body.

o - Overall not a very good beer, with some light skunkiness in the taste. Seems like a low(er) rent Corona to me. Wouldn't seek it out.

2.83/5  rDev +7.6%

A: pours a pale golden color with about a quarter inch of white head that disappears quickly leaving a slight amount of lacing on the top of the beer and edge of the glass. There is a lot of carbonation rising to the top

S: adjunct corn malts, crispness from the carbonation, little hop balance

T: sweet adjunct corn malts, no hop presence but there is some balance

M: light bodied beer with a lot of carbonation

overall, this beer was left in my fridge by a friend, not the worst beer on earth but not something ill ever buy

2.73/5  rDev +3.8%

Picked this up in a can at a party. The beer poured a pale yellow with a white head building, but collapsing right away. Little lacing on the glass.
The smell is lemon, lime, little else.
The taste is shallow citrus flavors and little malt. Somewhere there is a grainy flavor, but not much.
A very watery beer, probably meant for hot boat outings on the water . Would not be my choice in a beer store.

Landshark Lager from Margaritaville Brewing Co.