Landshark Lager - Margaritaville Brewing Co.

Landshark LagerLandshark Lager

poor

poor

Margaritaville Brewing Co. visit their website
Florida, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Landshark Lager Alström Bros
Duhast500

Rhode Island

2.73/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 120z. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a light straw yellow, with a foamy white head.

The smell is not very strong. A slight lime smell comes through with small hoppness as well.

The taste is very light. Some small hopiness to this beer as well as a lime and citrus flavor as well.

A good beer for a hot day. This is a beer tailor-made for the weather in Florida. When it's really too hot to have a porter or anything heavy. This beer has a pretty good mouthfeel, is also easy drinking and going down easy.

03-31-2009 20:34:20 | More by Duhast500
DannyS

3.18/5  rDev +20.9%

Had on-tap at Tradition Field in Port St. Lucie, Florida, during Mets spring training.

A - Clear, corona like with large ugly bubbles and a thin head.

S - Not much there. Did smell some citrus and some hops, but there was adjunct odor there.

T - Not bad, especially for a hot day at a baseball field. Ever so slightly hoppy, nice light citrus, and a clean finish.

M - lots of fizz and pretty watery. But hey, what do you expect?

D - Inoffensive enough to drink several of. I only drank one though, because I subsequently found a kiosk serving Brooklyn Lager.

overall - If it was a choice between this and all the other adjunct macrobrews, I'd drink this. Good for when you're craving both beer and something to cool you off on a hot day. It's just not in the same league as craft brew.

03-29-2009 04:33:38 | More by DannyS
deltatauhobbit

Maine

3.18/5  rDev +20.9%

Served with a lime wedge, how else for a Corona clone (albeit, slightly better).

Pours a clear golden color with a small head and little to no lacing.

Smell is mostly malt with a grassy presence.

Taste is similar to Corona, light and fizzy, mostly malt, some citrus (most of which is probably from the lime wedge), fairly refreshing although it would be better suited on the beach than in the still cold months of Maine.

03-25-2009 23:58:32 | More by deltatauhobbit
Kopp

2.98/5  rDev +13.3%

Jimmy Buffett doesn't disappoint - It is like a Corona - but in my opinion, it's a bit better - and a lime isn't necessary but helps

A: Golden without head - considered an island lager

S: clean smell - nothing really impressive

T: Better than but similar to a Corona - Lime isn't needed but improves greatly

M: very crisp taste, very carbonated but not necessarily bad

D: refreshing - would and have drank on multiple occasions - great for warm weather

Overall: I am a big fan of Jimmy Buffett and enjoy this beer - it's nothing overly special but a good crisp beer for warm weather

03-20-2009 07:55:22 | More by Kopp
bsend

3.15/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured this 12 oz. into a pint glass, and tried it out of the bottle.

The appearance was similar to the other island lager on the market Corona. The beer was pale, and very see through. The head seemed slightly soapy.

The lager was average in smell. Slightly yeasty, but overall very light.

The intial flavor was light, and yeasty. The beer reminded me of High Life, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing. Definitely a light beer for the summer time.

The mouthfeel wasn't bad. Slightly watery but still very pleasant over all. The drinkability was great. The beer went down eays and provided a good level of refreshment.

Final Thoughts - This beer wasn't terrible. I was surprised by the bad ratings this beer has gotten on this site. Its not a craft brew, but for the easy drinking refreshment it is, its very nice. Try it as an alternative to Corona- no lime needed!

03-19-2009 14:52:22 | More by bsend
Strand

North Dakota

2.93/5  rDev +11.4%

How do you describe Landshark Lager? Hmmmm... well the taste is kind of... um, the smell is really... er, it looks like, well.... how about this - Landshark Lager is wet. That's about the most descriptive term I can come up with to describe this beer. It looks like typical US light lagers. There really isn't much of a taste at all, but it's kind of refreshing after a hot summer day. It's typically served with a slice of lime, I'm guessing just to give it some flavor.

It's not a bad beer by any means, but there's really nothing special or unique about it. I guess the worst thing about it is the company is owned by Jimmy Buffet - send that clown back to Margaritaville.

03-11-2009 16:32:17 | More by Strand
BrunoP84

2.03/5  rDev -22.8%

The appearance of this beer isn't bad...it looks just like Corona, (which I'm pretty sure is the idea). It's marketed as an "Island Lager" and it definitly looks like one. The appearance is rather attractive actually. It shouts "hot day on the beach".

Smells a bit like a skunky corona.

I actually enjoy a coronoa when I'm in the mood (although I don't consider it a "good" beer) so I figured I'd feel the same about this one. I was wrong. The best way to describe this is it tastes like a skunked corona with a relatively corn flavor. It seems as if this beer was made with anything but malted barley. Just water and corn/rice, and maybe some food coloring to make it more yellow. In my opinion, it's also too carbonated.

Bad. Definitly bad. Stick with corona if you like this style. If you drown this beer in lime juice it tastes better, but the beer alone is horrible. Bottom Line: Drink it if it's free, otherwise buy something else.

It seems to me that this is just a "make money" by marketing beer. The real gem to this brew is the marketing, not the product.

03-05-2009 16:35:06 | More by BrunoP84
flaminghomer

Indiana

3.85/5  rDev +46.4%

It appears that this beer strives to be put into the same vein as Corona, a light, simple, easy drinking beer made for the beach. If you buy this beer I would suggest putting a lime wedge in it. (don't listen to the beer snobs, it's okay to garnish a beer) It states on the bottle "Island Style Lager" so that is the style I'll hold it to and in doing so...it holds it's own very well.

02-28-2009 06:13:37 | More by flaminghomer
mntlover

Tennessee

1.93/5  rDev -26.6%

Pours clear see through pale yellow with a white head that falls to a cap, very little lace. Actually looks right on for style.

Aroma is kind of corny with light grassy notes, again right on for style.

Taste is wooo this is light corn no real malt not sweet just light no grassy notes in taste that were there from the nose. Man would need a lime wedge to get any kind of flavor going. From what i was told this is pricey for crap so you could have a decent ale for the same price. Gift from buddy at work, so not out anything.

Mouthfeel is good for the style, lightly carbonated water :)

Drinkability is good and bad, make a nice flavored water, not so good for a beer though.

02-26-2009 21:43:52 | More by mntlover
showell

Arizona

3.1/5  rDev +17.9%

I almost think that Landshark is getting a bad rap on here. It's really not that bad. The appearance is very average for a lager, and it has virtually no smell. But if you're really thirsty, it is a definite thirst quencher. It's like drinking a soft drink... very fizzy, and it doesn't have a wattery aftertaste. It also doesn't have a metallic taste to it. On a hot day after work or something this would be a really nice beer to come home to. You know, you hear people say they like a Corona with a squeeze of lime. Well you can drink this one really cold without the lime and it's still not too bad.

02-15-2009 21:13:00 | More by showell
StoutandBitter

United Kingdom (England)

2.73/5  rDev +3.8%

A - Light yellow colour, thin head. Some lacing, but nothing exciting.

S - Very light, slight hops, rice. Vaguely sweet

T/M - A little too carbonated for my taste, not much flavour at all. A very light slightly fizzy feel, pretty standard for this type.

D - This is neither "good" or "bad", just an ordinary lager. The most exciting thing about it is the Jimmy Buffet connection.

If you like Bud, Miller etc. then you'll like this just fine

01-27-2009 00:11:59 | More by StoutandBitter

2.9/5  rDev +10.3%

Sampled this at Little Joe's BBQ-Port Aransas, TX

A: Very clear yellow gold with a small soapy white head that dissipated pretty quickly. Pretty average fair

S: Weak, but smells like beer to me...corn in the nose for sure

T: Corn, with some malt present. Very light...cannot taste too many hops if any at all. Some malt hides behind the adjuncts but does poke through in the finish. Refreshing

M: Like a light beer, with a little more viscosity

D: A little better than average

The main turn off on this is price around here...its almost as expensive as Corona, and I like to play on the beach and I have not been able to find this in cans (no glass allowed on the beach). Still, not bad however, and if presented the chance I would perhaps buy this again

01-25-2009 10:12:57 | More by 1099
berserker256

2.5/5  rDev -4.9%

2.5s all around... Because this is a below average beer. It's not horrible, it's just not very good. Yellowy-gold color with a thick soapbubble white head. Smells like earthy sweet corn with a touch of bitterness. Tastes as it smells. There's a a slight sweet malty essence to it. No hop presence to speak of. Thicker than a light beer and about the right consistancy for a lager, I suppose. It's really just like any Bud type mass produced beer anywhere. I put it in that grouping. Nothing special for a few dollars more.

01-23-2009 17:14:14 | More by berserker256
treehugger02010

2.9/5  rDev +10.3%

I got this from a friend and poured it into a pint glass.
Appearance: The body is a clear golden color with a rather large sized white head on top. The retention was better than expected and left a surprising amount of lacing.
Smell: I received absolutely nothing in terms of aroma.
Taste: The flavor was there with bitter hops (pine) and sweet pale malt.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is pretty crisp.
Drinkability: This is not as bad a beer as everyone says it is.
Don't drink and review.

01-20-2009 00:53:07 | More by treehugger02010
Buggies

2.4/5  rDev -8.7%

The only thing this beer has going for it is the cool name. The beer doesn't suck. It is what it is. On a very hot summer day when all you want is a beer, this is a pick. Very little aroma with very little flavor.

It is refreshing for a summer beer thirst. It is kind of a novelty beer to have at a back yard barbecue. Nothing more, nothing less. I would pick up a sixer of these again just for the hell of it.

01-07-2009 03:29:55 | More by Buggies
Beejay

2.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Even though this type of beer is not really my "cup of tea" It has it's place in the world. Every now and then you have a rare craving for a beer like this. It fits in on summer days, with a slice of lime and something made of beef grilling near by. Other than that, keep it in your fridge and serve it to friends who don't know much about beer.

01-04-2009 00:54:08 | More by Beejay
Dodo2step

2.55/5  rDev -3%

P- underdog Bar and Grill in Harrisburg.

A- a dull and pale yellow color. A nice white foam head though is the bright spot.

S- a sweet citrus malt. Nothing else in the nose though. Very bland.

T- it is a very bland flavor and i cant make anything except some grain and some pilsner malts. A bit of a sour note as well. I get some rice and corn hints as well.

M- watery, weak in flavor and not as smooth as i would like.

D- If you like cheap beer this is for you! I wont have another again. No flavor and and all water.

01-03-2009 19:27:24 | More by Dodo2step
Mistofminn

2.45/5  rDev -6.8%

What can I say. I asked my friend to pick up a 12 pack of "something he had never heard of" on the way over. I suppose I should have seen it coming, and he (nor I) had ever heard of Landshark Lager, but I was disappointed. I should have specified "no adjunct lagers!" but he wouldn't have known what I was talking about.

12 oz clear bottle. Color is piss yellow. There was an unexpected white head that lingered longer than I anticipated. It has no smell, so the rating I gave it was an overstatement. There is not much taste going on, maybe some corn. The only good quality is the mouthfeel (lively carbonation) and the drinkability (easy going down).

12-27-2008 22:02:17 | More by Mistofminn
yesyouam

LandShark Lager is a pale straw-colored lager (maybe 3 SRM) with a fuzzy white head that leaves ample lacing on the glass. It is very clear and very, very carbonated. The aroma is of cardboard and adjuncts. There is something lemony about it. Light malt is present in the nose. It is light bodied and pretty watery. It's a little foamy and very carbonated, but nothing really harsh about it. The finish is a little papery. Flavor? There really isn't any. I think you're supposed to put a lime in this. There is a touch of corn and something grainy... corn chips, maybe. This is supposed to be a Corona, but it's more like a Bud. Use this to make a michelada. I feel like a chump, drinking this out of a pint glass.
(rated Mar 17, 2008)

12-14-2008 16:29:45 | More by yesyouam
Goliath

2.3/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a clear golden color with a one inch foamy bright white head. Poor retention and some spotty lace.

The aroma is ok. Actually a bit of citrus in here, with some sweet pale malt. Not a great aroma, but not as bad as plenty of other adjunct lagers.

The taste is pretty bad. Pale malt, a bit of booze, which is funny since it's not even 5%, and an annoyingly bad sweetness. I think this is the base beer for Crazy Eds.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and highly carbonated.

Drinkability is low. Flavor is terrible, and I won't be finishing.

12-10-2008 23:48:08 | More by Goliath
WakeandBake

2.25/5  rDev -14.4%

Notes Aug/2008
A pee yellow pour with a soapy white head,no lacing. Aroma of corn,straw,and barn yard.Flavor is like corn and cardboard,thin body,funky mouthfeel,leaves an odd aftertaste,cant pinpoint it but we'll call it unpleasent.A little fruit/lemon/lime would help this out,but I will never buy again

12-07-2008 14:24:27 | More by WakeandBake
Vendetta

1.53/5  rDev -41.8%

Original Rating Date:
June 7, 2008

My father brought some of these home this afternoon. Clear bottle is an immediate turn off, I'm preparing myself for massive skunkitude. Skunky smell, weak watery taste. Most light beers look watery, but this looks especially watery in a way that I can't quite put my finger on. The only thing I can really say about this beer is that it's like Corona but not quite as terrible. Which isn't much to say at all. Bad beer, pass on it unless it's free. I was actually mad that I dirtied a glass with this beer.

12-07-2008 00:28:07 | More by Vendetta
mynie

Indiana

1.27/5  rDev -51.7%

Now we're in the digs. I'm not going to go off on a rant about how much I hate Jimmy Buffet (suffice it to say that I hate him very deeply). Nor am I going to talk about how infuriating it is that Jimmy shares my political views and general outlook on life but does so in a way that's so braindead and homogenic that his fame actually angers me. Not gonna do that, either. What I will do is say I tried very hard to avoid this beer. Even after it got ridiculous amounts of PoP support, even after all my friends told me how totally amazing it was.

What I will say is that I honest-to-god approached this beer with an open mind. I tried very hard to judge it on its merits, to not let it be tainted by my prejudice. That was much, much more effort than it was worth.

Pours piss limp, less impressive even than Bud Light. Smells equally limp, like water with some mild beer sweetness. But where it really fails, where it nearly joins the ranks of Hamm's and Fat Cat, is in the flavor. It tastes like cardboard and wood. Lick a dirty coffee table and you'll get an approximation of the flavor.

Avoid.

11-24-2008 04:15:20 | More by mynie
Overlord

1.68/5  rDev -36.1%

I love Jimmy Buffett's music. His brews/liquor ... not so much.

Pours a watery yellow. Surprisingly mild white foam head. Smells like ... oh no, corn skunk. Taste is almost more like a bready malt liquor than a macro lager. Just bad. Why Jimmy? Why?

Thin and watery.

11-23-2008 05:24:46 | More by Overlord
ocelot2500

Arizona

2.23/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours a clear yellow with a big head that dies down quickly.

Smells like corn.

Tastes like corn with some malt sweetness much like corona.

Mouthfeel is very thin and watery with some harsh carbonation.

Is another macro that is meant to be "drinkable" by the standard of you can drink a lot and not be filled.

11-16-2008 20:46:52 | More by ocelot2500
Landshark Lager from Margaritaville Brewing Co.