Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Landshark Lager | Margaritaville Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2007

Reviews: 461 | Ratings: 1,744
3.38/5  rDev +31%

I really like this beer. What makes it even better is my package store has it $0.99 for a 16oz can. Nice to be able to get a couple of these for a Friday night and only spend a $2,

1.68/5  rDev -34.9%

Very ugly shade of yellow in a clear bottle. Only reason I tried this is that my hotel has it for $0.25 during happy hour on Wednesdays. The second sip was only to confirm that the first sip really happened. Used the rest of the bottle as drain cleaner.

3.82/5  rDev +48.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

If you like Corona on the beach, then you'll like this beer. It's the microbrew version of a light, beachy beer. I don't love it, but it's a beer you can have a lot of on a hot summer day.

2.73/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

On draft at one of my favorite haunts. Never seen it and asked ahead of time if it was any good....should have steered clear based on the barmaids response. Maybe it will get better with this big plate of nachos that I'm about to eat but I doubt it. I'll be switching up after this one.

4.51/5  rDev +74.8%

One of my favorite beers. What sucks is winter time, no one buys it so it just sits on shelves. But summertime, one of the best beers. People waste money in Corona or expensive terrible Mexican beers. This "island style lager" is very smooth and light so goes great with any food also. 12 pack is 12$. Not too bad.

1.7/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Landshark incorporates a plethora of flavor, ensuring an infusion of fruity scents and tastes. The only problem is that it tastes like a fruity version of a mainstream American light lager.

2.45/5  rDev -5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I was drinking a ton of this stuff when it was in cans in my area. Used to be my lawnmower beer. Cooler on the mower full of ice cold Landshark cans wasn't the worst thing in the world, by far! Can't see myself picking them up in bottles for no real reason though.

2.99/5  rDev +15.9%

when this first came out, i kind of liked it, being a juvenile in my beer palate, and definitely preferring it to a corona (still do). it has less of the chemical off flavors of the other large scale island lagers, and is really pretty easy drinking. so yellow and bright and clear it almost looks to have a green tint in some lights, and while its real well carbonated, and cant hold much head. its smell is its worst feature to me, adjuncty and sweet, but the flavor is better, it drinks clean, and there is no residual weirdness or metallic tang to it at all. the carbonation is outstanding, and the refreshment value is high when its cold, but the clear bottles lend to skunking quickly, and if yours isnt real fresh, its probably terrible. i like the marketing, i like having an alternative to corona for that purpose, but for some reason this beer gives me brutal hangovers. i can drink imperial ipa all night, but three of these and im in trouble in the morning. not sure what does that...

3.42/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pale gold with two fingers of white head. Leaves a fair amount of lace as the liquid level drops. Skim coat of head lasted all the way to the bottom of the glass. Smell is very mild grain husk with a tiny amount of grassy hops.
Taste is mild cracker malt with a slowly building herbal or grassy hop bitterness in the finish.
Mouthfeel is light to medium with good carbonation level. Very smooth going down.
Overall I like this better than Corona. It might be closer to Sol lager than Corona. I enjoyed it and the price was $6.47 a sixer at Walmart. It is finally at a reasonable price point for this type of beer. My bottle says brewery is located in St. Louis, MO. not Jacksonville, FL.

1.84/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Extremely disappointed in this beer. Weak in flavor and consistency. I'll stick to Corona! I expected better from anything associated with Jimmy Buffett.

1.9/5  rDev -26.4%

Found a single Aluminum can of this to try, but was it worth a try? Lets see.

Pale yellow as expected with a decent head on it.

Smells sweet and corny with a little noble hop scent.

Starts out near flavorless. A little sweet and a little corn but besides that this is damn close to seltzer water. Deep tasting I detect a little bit of oxidized malt. I give it a 2 just because it isn't offensive but you would get the same effect with vodka and seltzer water.

Mouthfeel is a little better than club soda.

Overall this could almost pass for water. It is only useful for fighting off dehydration.

2.75/5  rDev +6.6%

A: poured into a fizzy yellow beer is for wussies pint glass to a clear and pale yellow with a finger of dense white head that fades quickly but leaves good lacing
S: smells of cooked veggies, slight graininess and a hint of hop bitterness
T: taste is slightly bitter with some cereal malt flavors, slight fruitiness, cooked corn, hint of grain. swallow is a forced hop extract bitterness with a lingering bite and some slight lemon flavors
M: light on the palate with slightly prickly carbonation and a refreshing finish
O: I shouldn't complain much about free beer but I wish I didn't have two more of these... It's decent and it's passable but there's much better lagers out there.

3.83/5  rDev +48.4%

So popular. The t-shirts. The banners. The bottle openers. Everyone's sporting landshark but does anyone really know what it is? Or what it tastes like?

Appearance (3.75) : I'm having a good time with heads tonight. This one pours a super creamy, tightly knit two fingered head that doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. The body color is what I would call a mellow gold. It's pretty, actually. Transparent and excellent clarity. It's rare to have a good appearance in an adjunct lager, so I'm throwing the 3.75 out there.

Aroma (3.5) : Wait. Is this impressive...? There's no skunk or rotten corn like I expected. Instead it has a fresh melon-light fresh corn aroma with a hint of hop in the background. It's surprisingly fresh and respectable. It's not amazing, but it's way better than I expected.

Taste (4) : Damn. It's actually decent. There's not much there but what it has is spot on. Lightly hopped corn and barley malts quickly morph into effervescence and a dry (comparatively) finish. This brew is actually decent! I'd grab this in a cooler of macros - NO DOUBT. Easy drinking, nice subtle flavor, and doesn't taste like a rusted vat of corn mash nightmares.

Mouthfeel (3.25) : Light bodied, as to be expected. Carbonated, also to be expected. Ends dry at the back of the throat. The hop dryness is a great addition.

Overall (3.83) : I desperately wanted to trash this beer because I hate how much publicity Landshark gets. I thought it was going to be horrible. A drain pour, even. But honestly, it's better than most of the macros out there by a nose, and it seems to be readily available and cheap to purchase. It's not amazing, but heck, it does the trick. You owe it to yourself to try this with a burger, a dog, or by itself on a hot afternoon.

2.1/5  rDev -18.6%

Had this at a backyard wedding this weekend. This beer is marketed as if it were some craft version of Corona. It tastes better than Corona but that’s not saying much. The best thing that I can say about this offering is that it is union-made.

Tastes good. Nice and refreshing. Its light. I like light beer, because i like how refreshing it is Ice Cold. I don't like drinking something heavy in the sun. This is perfect for fishing or bbq or a hot day.

Believe it or not i like the adjunct style. I may not like the BMC adjunct lagers anymore, but i like high quality adjuncts. This is light. and sometimes, thats just what is needed. Pours a nice golden color. I like looking at this beer in a pilsner glass. bought one today and this looks nice in it. Its kind of low in complexity, but lagers for the most part are, or at least, so i've noticed. This is good. It beats bud light anyday.

2.98/5  rDev +15.5%

Served from 16oz can into pint glass.

Appearance: pours a thick, sudsy 3" head that falls quickly with mild lacing. Color is pale straw with abundant streaming carbonation.

Aroma: mild aroma of corn, white bread. No detectable hops.

Mouthfeel: light and crisp with a pleasant dry finish.

Flavor: lightly toasted barley, corn sweetness, a hint of vanilla, maybe a slight hop bite in the finish.

Overall: pleasant beer for a hot summer day. It's ordinary, but contains nothing foul or off-putting.

1.98/5  rDev -23.3%

Well, saw this at the store and thought, "Why not?" Here goes:

A: Not good. Beer pours and adequate head with good lacing, but that's about it. It's piss-yellow in color, very clear, etc.

S: Some pilsner hops, but mostly fermented corn starch. I mean lots of corn. That's pretty much it. Terrible.

T: Just corn. No hops or malted barley; just corn. Not worth the 1.50 I paid.

M: Watery - also leaves a corny (no pun intended) taste in your mouth.

O: One of the poorer adjunct lagers. To be avoided.

This beer is good in one way and one way only. It has to be 90+ out, super sunny day, sitting near water (beach, pool, river, lake, etc.), the beer must be ice cold, and you have to have a lime wedge shoved into the bottle. No glass. Must be from the bottle. In a moment such as this one though, it is a very refreshing beverage to have.

Would purchase again, but ONLY in this scenario.
Would Purchase Again: No

4.04/5  rDev +56.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is a nice golden yellow color sorta like a corona color, it smells great and taste similar to a light beer mixed with corona. its really easy drinking beer and i could drink this easily on a hot summer day or with a nice meal. Its not a heavy beer so its perfect for me.

1.84/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Landshark Lager was a light-bodied disappointment and, yes, I actually had some solid expectations. Ostensibly, I was expecting something of a lighter lager with tones of flavorful lime and refreshing hops, something I could easily down on one of these summer nights. Unfortunately, this is one of the most unremarkable beers I've tried in a while. The flavor is indicative of extreme amounts of corn and cheap grains, so much so that the "Margarittaville Brewing Company" label couldn't be further from an idea of what the final product actually tastes like. It is beyond and bland and almost entirely tasteless outside of overpowering corn. To make matters worse, my bottle wasn't as chilled as it could've been, which proved bad for about the first nine or ten ounces but detrimental and nearly undrinkable for the remaining two or so. For the brewing company's bestselling, most mainstream beer, it's surely a miserably tasteless and needless offering.

3.05/5  rDev +18.2%

From the clear 12 oz. bottle. Sampled on June 24, 2014.

Pale yellow pour leading up to a big white head the fizzes down fast. Good clarity.

The aroma is pretty average with some toasted pale malts, grain, and clean, crisp hops trickling in.

The body is a bit heavier than I imagined and more in the medium range.

The taste is unspectacular with its grainy malts and modest sweetness. Ends clean. Reasonably refreshing but overall pretty basic and boring. Hot weather lawn mower beer.

3.73/5  rDev +44.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

The Land Shark was a really good beer. I had it on vacation once and I liked it a lot. You can tell that it is a lager by the taste of the beer. I liked the taste of it and how smooth it was when you drank it. This is one of my favorite beers. It smells really good as well. It is not too strong or too weak.

3.66/5  rDev +41.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Landshark is essentially all American lagers on steroids. Pours a light tan color with a 1/2-3/4 inch that sticks around. Smells malty. Tastes malty, with mild hoppiness. Moderate lacing. Bitter aftertaste. I will be buying this beer again because it is clearly the best American lager I've ever had.

2.28/5  rDev -11.6%

There were 2 bottles of this sitting in the fridge at the condo my dad and I are staying at in Osprey, FL so I decided to crack one open and try it being that I have never had this beer before. Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This beer pours a clear light, pale golden color with a white head about an inch thick when first poured. Head quickly settles to a medium sized ring lining the inside of the glass along with some clusters of foam on the beer's surface. Fairly faint aromas of malt and probably some corn. Has a somewhat sweet, grassy taste of malt and again what is likely corn and or rice. Not hop presence whatsoever, not even a trace of a suggestion or any hops. While it still has just a bit of that bitter metallic after taste that I find to be so unpleasant in so many macro lagers, it is much less prevalent than in many other beers of this style that I have had. I suppose the flavor profile is likely spot on for this style, but that certainly does not mean it is good by any means. Has a very crisp, yet still somehow smooth, light bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. I suppose this beer does have a refreshing quality to it when enjoyed in the humid heat of Florida, but I wouldn't drink this in any other setting. I had pretty low expectations to begin with when I cracked open this bottle.

Eric

Landshark Lager from Margaritaville Brewing Co.