Landshark Lager - Margaritaville Brewing Co.

Landshark LagerLandshark Lager

poor

Margaritaville Brewing Co. visit their website
Florida, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2007

Reviews: 439 | Hads: 1,630
4.4/5  rDev +69.2%

This is a better version of a Corona. Add a lemon and it may make it a 5 but we didn't have any. Not sure why it gets such a bad rap on here but I enjoyed it. You can drink a lot of it and not feel heavy and the taste is solid and palatable for many servings. (259 characters)

2.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance - The generic golden color of all mass produced beers like Bud and Miller

Smell - Can't really smell anything

Taste - Watery with a hint of beer.

Mouthfeel - Crisp with no aftertaste

This is my go to beer when I head to the beach because it is a better tasting mass produced beer than the likes of Miller lite, coors, and bud, however, not by much. I am not as snobby to say that it shouldn't even be considered a beer, but it is what it is. For me it is a great beer that is refreshing on a hot day and goes great while playing frisbee or volleyball on the beach. I will continue to buy it because it is cheap and it tastes great on a hot day. (660 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't think I am going to write a standard review for this beer. I generally have a format I use for reviews, but I don't want to go through the effort for this brew. Although I don't know. Side poured from a bottle into a glass.

Appearance - Almost transparent yellow, no head, no retention, no lacing. Kinda looks like urine in a glass.

Smell - A tiny bit of grain and corn. Nothing much at all there. I really had to work hard to smell anything.

Taste - Honestly, it doesn't taste like anything much. The smell really gives away the flavor, which is nothing.

Mouthfeel - Water

Overall - There is nothing here! At least Corona smells like a skunk run over. In a blind taste test between this and water I may have a hard time differentiating. Not recommended. I wouldn't ever buy it. (792 characters)

2.93/5  rDev +12.7%

It's a nice 'Corona-like' beer. Extremely light in color, almost watery in appearance.

The head - yeah, nothing there to write home about.

On a hot summer day this would make for a nice thirst quencher. It's not heavy at all, in fact it 's not far off from a lighter tasting Pabst Blue Ribbon but without the corn.

I'm not going to say it's a bad beer because it isn't but you know, it's another Corona clone. (412 characters)

2.96/5  rDev +13.8%

Land Shark is a lager that I had high hopes for potential, but fell short of my expectations.

It pours a very appealing shade of yellow out of the bottle with lots of carbonation and a thick head that dissipates quite quickly. It's smell was the normal hops and barley of most lagers - nothing special to mention. Although the beer rolls around my tongue a bit watery (mostly because I have been drinking stronger ales) it has the right amount of carbonation with the distant hint of citrus (lemon?). The taste was thankfully better than I even hoped and so much so, you can end up downing a few of these before you end up realizing you are a bit toasted.

Overall, it's an average lager. I've had better and I've had worse. (726 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -41.2%

Poured from a 12 oz into a standard pint. This one could be a little old, the old folks were gifted it, and then regifted it to the bottom of their fridge for some one who dared...

Appearance: Surprising nice. Crystal clear, of course, but the head lasted atleast 3 minutes on an aggressive pour. Looks great for the style, though it kind of looks like it's trying too hard to be a Mexican adjunct lager.

Smell: Some of the worst that adjunct lager smell has to offer. Malt, Keystone light, sugar.

Taste: There was "corn" and crap malt up front, which wasn't offensive. That bled into sugar. Lots of sugar. Is this beer soda? I actually gagged on first sip. I don't want to pour this, but I might. This is one of the most offensive adjunct lagers I've ever had. Second gulp let the sugar settle with me a little more. Do people drink this though? Third gulp felt more like a gluten free beer i had earlier with lunch, but that was better. Fourth gulp made me realize how bad this is on the tongue, and how much sucks to smell as it comes to your mouth. This is really unsettling beer.

Mouthfeel: Really light with good moderate carbonation, actually. I'm surprised at how well they had the adjunct mouthfeel down. If this had a taste I could keep in my mouth besides forcing myself to analyze how they did with mouthfeel I may actually recommend it to people who drink the style regularly.

This is like if junk local adjunct tried to make a weird Mexican lager crossover. Mexican lager is already not usually good, this is bad. I think they could save this by investing in better ingredients, but that would probably cut into the profit margin. Also, killing the bottle cost and using a "plain" bottle and label may help cut costs to increase actual quality. While the appearance and mouthfeel are actually not bad, the funk smell and awful taste are bad enough to cut into my overall. This shouldn't be bought. Buy Tecate, Dos Equis or even Corona before this. (1,966 characters)

3.05/5  rDev +17.3%

LandShark Lager

Poured from 12 ounce bottle into pilsener style glass. Served Wisconsin in the garage during winter cold.

A) Light golden, pretty clear, I can watch the game through this. Two fingers of foam settled quickly to a dusting. A little bit of lacing as well.

S) Very very light malt a little bit of whole-grain cereal aroma. A bit of grass as well.

T) A nice grassy bitterness actually, and then it kind of finishes little bit sweet. Not really too sweet, and not artificial. While this lager doesn't have an immense amount of flavor, what it does have is not offensive.

M) This is light bodied, and certainly has a good jolt of carbonation. Really it's crisp and pretty easy drinking. The finish is nice and clean.

O) What can I say, I wasn't disappointed with this one. It's a pretty good lawnmower beer. It is what it is. I would rather drink this, than most other Macro swill. (897 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this beer in several different locations in Myrtle Beach this summer and have bought it several times at the store since.

Overall this was a surprising beer. It is not an overwhelming complex full bodied beer that will make you sip on for hours trying to figure out its deeper meaning.

It is however the perfect beach and tailgating beer. It is light with a good taste, and will not fill you up. It tastes better with lime but have had it without.

Overall I like this beer and it has become one of my regular store purchases and will be my go to beach beer. (567 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -11.2%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium golden yellow in color with minimal amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall sudsy bright white head that almost immediately reduces to the faintest of rings at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: The only real smell that I get from this beer is a somewhat artificial sweet corn like you would get in Corn Pops cereal. Possibly the slightest hint of lime.

T: Very little flavor to this beer, just the faintest amount of Corn Pops corn with light sweetness.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: This beer is easy to drink and not offensive but this is not a good beer and I will not be getting another one of these - part of my project to balance out all of the good craft beers I have been drinking with some below average brews. (864 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +23.1%

I don't understand why this beer has scored so low on the site and there are other mainstream BMC lagers which score so much higher. Seems unfair. I was pleasantly surprised in fact. Poured a 1.5" white head of average lifespan. The body is the standard clear straw yellow. It smells mildly of grass but also some citrus. Taste doesn't have the citrus but it has the grass and some mild malt. And there's actually a slight bitter aftertaste nicer than you get in most BMC lagers. This actually isn't bad for a cheap lager. Mine was brewed in Missouri instead of Florida so I don't know but maybe the brewery and freshness made a difference. (640 characters)

1.59/5  rDev -38.8%

Finger and half of head that was short lived. Clear, light straw colored body.
Smells slightly metallic and grainy. Barely any smell at all though.
It tastes a little metallic and mostly like water. Air has more taste.
Light body, too carbonated.
A solidly not good beer. A lot of nothingness. (294 characters)

No freshness dating.

A= Pours a fizzy yellow color. Actually a little darker yellow than your typical macro lager. A sort of dark piss color.

S= Smells a like beer. A typcial slightly sweet corny beer with a little bit of a salt touch.

T= Tastes like typical beer. Extremely light though. It actually may be among the most flaverless of beers I've ever had. A very light salt tinge to it.

M= Overly fizzy.

O= This is a crappy beer. I got it because my roommate broke my washing machine and wanted to pay someone with it. I drank it instead. Sometimes you feel like drinking crappy beer. (591 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -13.5%

i owe jimmy buffett my mental health. let's get that clear before going any further.
A- uh, gold, no head to speak of.
S- corn, sh*tty-smelling beer.
T- corn, sh*tty-tasting beer. swill. okay cold; okay at large parties and functions where you pretend to drink and socialize, but can also leave on the toilet or behind the stairwell....
M- huh?
O- when this first came out, i was embarrassed to know this was associated with Mr Jimmy Buffett. but, after coming to know that he promotes garbage tequila, swill beer, and basically everything generic, i can accept it. heck, the man (according to John Bon Jovi) has "more money than god". maybe. but what an entertainer. he got me through (his music, of course) some of the most difficult times of my life. his "escapism" music transported me to a land which my ex-wife simply could not find (yet, being an island girl herself). and his music was sheer paradise when, and still, life is incredibly good.
but, back to the beer . . . . it's garbage. i mean, it's great on a hot summer afternoon after mowing the local golf course. and the first 6'er i drank was okay. but let's face the truth- it's below even BUDWEISER. and that's a harsh statement i dont feel comfortable uttering in a back alley. okay. maybe not below bud. but you get my point. it was hard to dislike this beer when the man responsible for it is an utter hero in my eyes. my apologies for the terrible scores . . . . can i remind you that Mr Buffett is also a great AUTHOR....? he is one of SIX authors to have a best seller on the NY TImes list in BOTH fiction and non-fiction. truly talented individual and complete hero in my world. i suppose i cant blame him for selling CRAP- so many others do, also, in this world and so get away with it. (1,760 characters)

2.93/5  rDev +12.7%

A-pale yellow gold with a decent white head that probably won't last

S-crisp honey grains. Actually smells quite fresh and not too bad at all. Decent strength

T-comes in with an extremely weak and watery taste of adjunct grains. Not much going on. Typical. No off flavors.

M-high carbonation. Reminds me of tonic.

O-it's not a terrible beer. It's just very forgettable. It has nothing going for it unless you're dehydrated and can only find this instead of water.  (469 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. The presentation of this telegraphs the experience of drinking this beer; clear glass bottle and screw cap. Nice graphics though. Pours a light, clear orange-yellow, thin white head dissipates quickly to a ring around the glass. Unsurprising adjunct and malt aroma with a hint of skunk at first. Flavor starts out pleasantly enough with light, sweet malt and faint hops but the adjunct components soon dominate and then abruptly, all flavor is gone. A very watery, bland finish that took me by surprise. Fortunately no skunking to the flavor, although that may have added a little interest to the finish. Mouth feel thin with light carbonation, but appropriate for the style. Gets extra half point for being pretty much what its packaging promises. No off flavors and would do on a desert island. Glad I got this beer and brewer ticked off; my first reviewed American adjunct lager! Moving on….. (941 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +46.2%

I am a little biased towards this beer because I get it free from my father regularly as it is his favorite. It certaily lacks the complexity of some of the better beers on the top 100 list, however it does serve its purpose as a light refreshing summery beer. There are not any beers that spring to mind as preferential for on the beach, though Jimmy Buffet's songs help make it more enjoyable as well! (403 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -0.8%

16 ounce can, I picked it up as a single somewhere. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear gold color with about a half inch white head. There's a small amount of lacing. It smells like sweet malt, corn, and that's it. And the taste is the same as the aroma, it's all sweet malt and corn. It doesn't taste bad, but it's not like it's good either. Mouthfeel/body is light, it's certainly not hard to drink at all. For the style of beer it is, it's not bad. It's worth trying if you can get a single can or bottle, but I wouldn't ever buy a 6 pack of this. With that being said, I wouldn't turn it down if someone gave me one. (632 characters)

2.66/5  rDev +2.3%

Landshark Lager was supposedly developed as the in-house beer for Jimmy Buffett's chain of Margaritaville restaurants. It has since taken on a life of its own and can pretty much be found everywhere. Just by looking at the clear bottle and the yellow liquid inside, one can easily guess that this is supposed to be similar to Corona or other "beach beers."

Landshark pours a somewhat goldish yellow color. Slightly more than a finger of foam forms but thins out really quick. The aroma is light, with just some whiffs of grain present along with the familiar musty adjunct smell. No skunk, surprisingly. Not surprisingly, the mouthfeel of the brew was thin and very fizzy. The taste all around is pretty inoffensive. It is a bit light in flavor, with the main flavor notes being the grains and an adjunct flavor that strikes me as a combination of corn, grass, and a tiny bit of wet paper. A light citric hop presence could be detected as well, but the beer lacks any true bitterness. The aftertaste is quite clean, with the grains and the corny/grassy flavor lingering on. No alcoholic warmth to be found here.

This actually turned out better than I expected, as I was going into this thinking it would be quite putrid. Definitely a hot weather beer, and as such it should be consumed very cold. (1,298 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours from the 12 oz can a fairly decent pale yellow with a giant foamy head that quickly settles into a modest collar. We have the usual macrobrew fizziness going on inside the glass. Aroma is of wet grass clippings left overnight in the rain. 1st sip is a bland, some what watery mix of straw, overcooked veggies, and maybe a hint of lemon rind. Palate is light and fizzy. Overall, it's your basic bland fizzy macro beer, the kind of stuff that will be a big hit on $2 draft night at the local dive bar. Glad I didn't pay for this one... (539 characters)

2.39/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance - This is a pretty, light yellow in color, like a yellow highlighter, with a nice, big, easy, puffy head.

Smell - The corn here is slightly creamed and hops are completely absent.

Taste - The corn is horribly big at the taste.

Mouthfeel - This one felt pretty good in between the cheeks. It's light-bodied of course but the carbs felt good, not that cheap fizzy carbonation you get with a lot of offerings in this category.

Sinkability - The nasty corn is just too offense to try to plow through 12 full ounces. (526 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance: Poured from the 12 oz clear bottle into a pilsner glass. I feel this is somewhat unnecessary, I can see what the beer looks like and know what to expect. A clear, golden, yellow beer with my pour producing a white head about 1 inch in height that quickly fades away.

Smell: No malt, no hops, just sweet adjunct. I'm leaning toward corn. Not overly enticing, but it's not made this way to smell nice.

Taste: An overt sweetness to the beer, it did have a little bitterness on the end, but it does not balance out the sweet adjunct flavors, which I am going to go with corn, sweet corn. The advantage to the flavor is there is not a lot of it and it does not linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Light and watery; the beer does have good carbonation which keeps it lively. Crisp, with a clean (read no) aftertaste.

Overall: I would not have bought this if it had not been $20 for a case with a $10 rebate. Still, I ended up giving away 2 of the 6 packs. I just didn't want a case after a couple of these. Interesting enough my bottle looks just like the picture, except instead of Jacksonville, FL it says St. Louis, MO. Found that a bit odd. Not recommended, will not buy again. (1,188 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Appearance: Pale yellow with a white head that receeds too quickly. The lacing is decent though.

Smell: Sweet corn.

Taste: Sweet corn with artificial sweetener.

This beer isn't too offensive but it's way too sweet and there's really nothing good about it. (258 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +39.2%

Landshark is by far the smoothest American Style Lager on the market. It has a fairly light body and mild hop bitterness. There is some good malt sweetness with zero aftertaste. The taste is not complex, and this will cause Landshark to get low scores from craft beer drinkers, but I would recommend this beer for people who normally drink light beer, but want to try a regular beer. (383 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +51.9%

I'm not sure I find it helpful or relevant when folks rate a beer like Land Shark and use a language that clearly shows that they are comparing it to darker or more full bodied beers like reds and browns. I respect your opinions, but in my mind rating a beer does not mean you rate it as to the preference of the beer type you prefer. Would you compare a Riesling to a Cabernet? Of course not. Can you imagine rating a Riesling and then saying you detected no tannins? If you are going to compare or rate Land Shark Lager, then wouldn’t it be better to compare and rate it against other light lagers? I like reds and browns better too, but certainly not on a hot summer day. Sometimes I just want a lighter beer so I can eat my burger and then go out and toss the frisbee around on the beech. So compared to other lagers of similar weight, Land shark is a darned good beer. It has a hint of citrus, grass, and just a tiny hint of grains and corn—just as a light, refreshing, thirst quenching lager should. (1,009 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -26.9%

Dude, don't buy this, unless you like Corona, in which case you shouldn't be on BA. This stuff is pretty gross, it's beer with little taste, high carbonation, and clean feel (like water). You can taste a little maltiness in the background but the day old piss from the rusty toilet bowl taste prevails. Ok, I exaggerate, but, still, this is un worthy. (351 characters)

Landshark Lager from Margaritaville Brewing Co.