Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Landshark Lager - Margaritaville Brewing Co.

Landshark LagerLandshark Lager

Margaritaville Brewing Co. visit their website
Florida, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2007

Reviews: 448 | Hads: 1,666
2.55/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Despite the poor pale yellow coloring the appearance was partially redeemed by a frothy head that left some decent lacing.

The scent was basically absent. It was not offensive because it simply was not really present. A stale malt with water like minerals can be detected.

The flavor seems to be reminiscent of a German Pilsner with cereal maltiness and a bready grain. It's very weak in taste and I'm sure it's so an added lime can meld well.

The feel is very crisp, very easy but it has a metallic aftertaste and an actual tinny touch on the tongue.

Created for the beach and a lime this lager is not meant for straight drinking and it should not be.

3.2/5  rDev +24%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3.25

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Sav-Mor Liquors, Medford, MA
Served in a pint glass

A one-inch tall, bright white crown topped the brassy colored liquid. The head slowly faded to a lasting ring. Streaks of lacing clung to the glass.

The nose was decent. Grainy malts dominated. Some light, candy-like sweetness. A crisp, powdery, lager yeast quality was noticeable as well.

The flavor profile was respectable and quite similar to the aroma. Grainy malts were most apparent. Somewhat sweet on the front end. Crisp, slightly lemony and tart in the center. The finish tasted adjunct ridden however. Some skunk came through initially but it dissipated with time.

The mouthfeel was extremely light and airy. I found the overtly bubbly, aggressive carbonation annoying.

I have an intense disdain for Jimmy Buffet and everything that he stands for, and I really wanted to hate this beer as well. Unfortunately for me, it seemed pretty decent for the style. This might not be a bad beer to have at the beach on a hot day. Then again, there are so many better options out there.

2.28/5  rDev -11.6%

I really wanted to enjoy this beer but the first whiff of skunky aroma turned me off right away. Nothing special about it exept for the marketing. Who wouldn't want a landshark advertising surfboard. I will not be buying it again. Add a little lime to it to make it palatable for the summer.

Part of a mixed 6 pack.

A- clear straw colour, large head of foam that quickly shrinks, little lacing to be had.

S- grainy and light struck...thanks to the clear bottle.

T- grainy, semi sweetness of corn, little bitterness but what's there doesn't help.

M- thin and watery mouthfeel.

O- thank goodness for mixed 6ers. I could not drink another 5 bottles; this "1" is more than enough.

2.33/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I got a bottle of Margaritaville's Langshark Lager as a freebie left in my fridge after having some friends over for a bbq last weekend, I have had this beer before and I thought it wasn't that great and it was pretty similar to Corona, but it's been a long time since I have had one and since it was a freebie so I thought I would give it a quick review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a clear 12 bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The bottle looks ok, it's got a nice clean look to it, but I'm never a fan of beer in clear bottles. It poured a very clear yellow color that took on a golden hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing behind. This is a pretty average looking AAL, the head and lacing were better than expected..

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a pretty heavy skunky aroma that seems to stick out the most and is followed by some sweet malts, creamed corn, and a large amount of stale grain aromas. The aroma wasn't good, the skunky aroma was unwanted and along with the stale grains it stuck out the most.

T- The taste seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma, it starts of with a medium amount of sweetness that takes a on a sweet creamed corn flavor and is followed by a lighter skunky flavor. Up next comes some more corn flavors followed by some sweet and stale malt flavors. On the finish I get a little bit of doughy yeast with hardly any bitterness with a sweet, grain, and corn like aftertaste. The taste wasn't that great, but it was better than the aroma and not as skunky,

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, a little creamy, slightly dry, light bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation that was a little a fizzy. The mouthfeel was ok and fairly true to style.

Overall I wasn't a fan of this beer but I thought it was pretty close to being and average example of the style, this isn't a type of beer I would buy, but there's a good chance I would order one at a mediocre Mexican restaurant. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not filling and pretty crisp, but the flavors couldn't hold my attention, one is enough for me and its a little hard to get through the whole bottle without just chugging it to get rid of it. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it wasn't bad and it was fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it was way too skunky, but that's what happens when you put a a beer in a clear glass bottle. I wouldn't buy this beer again unless I was out to eat, but even then I would rather order a Negra Modelo, I would recommend this to die heart Corona drinkers but that's it. All in all, this beer is about the same as I remember it, not horrible for the style, but nothing that I enjoy drinking, I think Jimmy Buffet needs to stick to the music and leave the beer to the pros.

1.61/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

When did Coors Light rename itself Landshark Lager?

I need to fill this up to reach the minimum so I'll just say.

When did Coors Light rename itself Landshark Lager?

Absolutely awful.

It might as well be coors mixed with half club soda. So gross.

2.73/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Transparent lemon color. Soda-like head with minimal retention. Grain and rice aroma. Lots of rice adjuncts in the flavor with hints of malt. Subdued grass and lemon hop. Malt and adjunct flavors dominate. Light bodied and overly carbonated with no texture to enjoy. Overall, subpar but not too far behind other example for the style.

1.56/5  rDev -39.5%

Looks can deceive. Looked good in the bottle. Poured nicely into my regular glass... Foamed up nicely, foam flattened out at a good rate. The color was very agreeable.

Smells and tastes less than good. Almost putrid/skunky but not quite. I can taste peanuts in it... which do not mesh with the standard beer-notes.

It is possible I had a bad bottle so I will review again next time I do an all-sorts pack from the market.

2.63/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Served in a 22oz glass on-tap.

Appearance - Light yellow, little head, weak lacing. Slightly darker than the Miller Lite that was poured and given to the beautiful woman next to me.

Smell - Very weak. Similar to the BMCs but not as offensive.

Taste - A notch above your traditional adjuncts. Again, non offensive.

Mouthfeel - There seems to be a pattern here. Similar to BMCs but better.

Overall - Would not seek out, but would have again if the establishment did not provide a better choice.

4.4/5  rDev +70.5%

This is a better version of a Corona. Add a lemon and it may make it a 5 but we didn't have any. Not sure why it gets such a bad rap on here but I enjoyed it. You can drink a lot of it and not feel heavy and the taste is solid and palatable for many servings.

2.6/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance - The generic golden color of all mass produced beers like Bud and Miller

Smell - Can't really smell anything

Taste - Watery with a hint of beer.

Mouthfeel - Crisp with no aftertaste

This is my go to beer when I head to the beach because it is a better tasting mass produced beer than the likes of Miller lite, coors, and bud, however, not by much. I am not as snobby to say that it shouldn't even be considered a beer, but it is what it is. For me it is a great beer that is refreshing on a hot day and goes great while playing frisbee or volleyball on the beach. I will continue to buy it because it is cheap and it tastes great on a hot day.

2.4/5  rDev -7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I don't think I am going to write a standard review for this beer. I generally have a format I use for reviews, but I don't want to go through the effort for this brew. Although I don't know. Side poured from a bottle into a glass.

Appearance - Almost transparent yellow, no head, no retention, no lacing. Kinda looks like urine in a glass.

Smell - A tiny bit of grain and corn. Nothing much at all there. I really had to work hard to smell anything.

Taste - Honestly, it doesn't taste like anything much. The smell really gives away the flavor, which is nothing.

Mouthfeel - Water

Overall - There is nothing here! At least Corona smells like a skunk run over. In a blind taste test between this and water I may have a hard time differentiating. Not recommended. I wouldn't ever buy it.

2.93/5  rDev +13.6%

It's a nice 'Corona-like' beer. Extremely light in color, almost watery in appearance.

The head - yeah, nothing there to write home about.

On a hot summer day this would make for a nice thirst quencher. It's not heavy at all, in fact it 's not far off from a lighter tasting Pabst Blue Ribbon but without the corn.

I'm not going to say it's a bad beer because it isn't but you know, it's another Corona clone.

2.96/5  rDev +14.7%

Land Shark is a lager that I had high hopes for potential, but fell short of my expectations.

It pours a very appealing shade of yellow out of the bottle with lots of carbonation and a thick head that dissipates quite quickly. It's smell was the normal hops and barley of most lagers - nothing special to mention. Although the beer rolls around my tongue a bit watery (mostly because I have been drinking stronger ales) it has the right amount of carbonation with the distant hint of citrus (lemon?). The taste was thankfully better than I even hoped and so much so, you can end up downing a few of these before you end up realizing you are a bit toasted.

Overall, it's an average lager. I've had better and I've had worse.

1.53/5  rDev -40.7%

Poured from a 12 oz into a standard pint. This one could be a little old, the old folks were gifted it, and then regifted it to the bottom of their fridge for some one who dared...

Appearance: Surprising nice. Crystal clear, of course, but the head lasted atleast 3 minutes on an aggressive pour. Looks great for the style, though it kind of looks like it's trying too hard to be a Mexican adjunct lager.

Smell: Some of the worst that adjunct lager smell has to offer. Malt, Keystone light, sugar.

Taste: There was "corn" and crap malt up front, which wasn't offensive. That bled into sugar. Lots of sugar. Is this beer soda? I actually gagged on first sip. I don't want to pour this, but I might. This is one of the most offensive adjunct lagers I've ever had. Second gulp let the sugar settle with me a little more. Do people drink this though? Third gulp felt more like a gluten free beer i had earlier with lunch, but that was better. Fourth gulp made me realize how bad this is on the tongue, and how much sucks to smell as it comes to your mouth. This is really unsettling beer.

Mouthfeel: Really light with good moderate carbonation, actually. I'm surprised at how well they had the adjunct mouthfeel down. If this had a taste I could keep in my mouth besides forcing myself to analyze how they did with mouthfeel I may actually recommend it to people who drink the style regularly.

This is like if junk local adjunct tried to make a weird Mexican lager crossover. Mexican lager is already not usually good, this is bad. I think they could save this by investing in better ingredients, but that would probably cut into the profit margin. Also, killing the bottle cost and using a "plain" bottle and label may help cut costs to increase actual quality. While the appearance and mouthfeel are actually not bad, the funk smell and awful taste are bad enough to cut into my overall. This shouldn't be bought. Buy Tecate, Dos Equis or even Corona before this.

3.05/5  rDev +18.2%

LandShark Lager

Poured from 12 ounce bottle into pilsener style glass. Served Wisconsin in the garage during winter cold.

A) Light golden, pretty clear, I can watch the game through this. Two fingers of foam settled quickly to a dusting. A little bit of lacing as well.

S) Very very light malt a little bit of whole-grain cereal aroma. A bit of grass as well.

T) A nice grassy bitterness actually, and then it kind of finishes little bit sweet. Not really too sweet, and not artificial. While this lager doesn't have an immense amount of flavor, what it does have is not offensive.

M) This is light bodied, and certainly has a good jolt of carbonation. Really it's crisp and pretty easy drinking. The finish is nice and clean.

O) What can I say, I wasn't disappointed with this one. It's a pretty good lawnmower beer. It is what it is. I would rather drink this, than most other Macro swill.

3.47/5  rDev +34.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this beer in several different locations in Myrtle Beach this summer and have bought it several times at the store since.

Overall this was a surprising beer. It is not an overwhelming complex full bodied beer that will make you sip on for hours trying to figure out its deeper meaning.

It is however the perfect beach and tailgating beer. It is light with a good taste, and will not fill you up. It tastes better with lime but have had it without.

Overall I like this beer and it has become one of my regular store purchases and will be my go to beach beer.

2.31/5  rDev -10.5%

A: Pours a crystal clear medium golden yellow in color with minimal amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall sudsy bright white head that almost immediately reduces to the faintest of rings at the edges of the glass. Minimal amounts of lacing are observed.

S: The only real smell that I get from this beer is a somewhat artificial sweet corn like you would get in Corn Pops cereal. Possibly the slightest hint of lime.

T: Very little flavor to this beer, just the faintest amount of Corn Pops corn with light sweetness.

M: Light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: This beer is easy to drink and not offensive but this is not a good beer and I will not be getting another one of these - part of my project to balance out all of the good craft beers I have been drinking with some below average brews.

3.2/5  rDev +24%

I don't understand why this beer has scored so low on the site and there are other mainstream BMC lagers which score so much higher. Seems unfair. I was pleasantly surprised in fact. Poured a 1.5" white head of average lifespan. The body is the standard clear straw yellow. It smells mildly of grass but also some citrus. Taste doesn't have the citrus but it has the grass and some mild malt. And there's actually a slight bitter aftertaste nicer than you get in most BMC lagers. This actually isn't bad for a cheap lager. Mine was brewed in Missouri instead of Florida so I don't know but maybe the brewery and freshness made a difference.

1.59/5  rDev -38.4%

Finger and half of head that was short lived. Clear, light straw colored body.
Smells slightly metallic and grainy. Barely any smell at all though.
It tastes a little metallic and mostly like water. Air has more taste.
Light body, too carbonated.
A solidly not good beer. A lot of nothingness.

No freshness dating.

A= Pours a fizzy yellow color. Actually a little darker yellow than your typical macro lager. A sort of dark piss color.

S= Smells a like beer. A typcial slightly sweet corny beer with a little bit of a salt touch.

T= Tastes like typical beer. Extremely light though. It actually may be among the most flaverless of beers I've ever had. A very light salt tinge to it.

M= Overly fizzy.

O= This is a crappy beer. I got it because my roommate broke my washing machine and wanted to pay someone with it. I drank it instead. Sometimes you feel like drinking crappy beer.

2.25/5  rDev -12.8%

i owe jimmy buffett my mental health. let's get that clear before going any further.
A- uh, gold, no head to speak of.
S- corn, sh*tty-smelling beer.
T- corn, sh*tty-tasting beer. swill. okay cold; okay at large parties and functions where you pretend to drink and socialize, but can also leave on the toilet or behind the stairwell....
M- huh?
O- when this first came out, i was embarrassed to know this was associated with Mr Jimmy Buffett. but, after coming to know that he promotes garbage tequila, swill beer, and basically everything generic, i can accept it. heck, the man (according to John Bon Jovi) has "more money than god". maybe. but what an entertainer. he got me through (his music, of course) some of the most difficult times of my life. his "escapism" music transported me to a land which my ex-wife simply could not find (yet, being an island girl herself). and his music was sheer paradise when, and still, life is incredibly good.
but, back to the beer . . . . it's garbage. i mean, it's great on a hot summer afternoon after mowing the local golf course. and the first 6'er i drank was okay. but let's face the truth- it's below even BUDWEISER. and that's a harsh statement i dont feel comfortable uttering in a back alley. okay. maybe not below bud. but you get my point. it was hard to dislike this beer when the man responsible for it is an utter hero in my eyes. my apologies for the terrible scores . . . . can i remind you that Mr Buffett is also a great AUTHOR....? he is one of SIX authors to have a best seller on the NY TImes list in BOTH fiction and non-fiction. truly talented individual and complete hero in my world. i suppose i cant blame him for selling CRAP- so many others do, also, in this world and so get away with it.

2.93/5  rDev +13.6%

A-pale yellow gold with a decent white head that probably won't last

S-crisp honey grains. Actually smells quite fresh and not too bad at all. Decent strength

T-comes in with an extremely weak and watery taste of adjunct grains. Not much going on. Typical. No off flavors.

M-high carbonation. Reminds me of tonic.

O-it's not a terrible beer. It's just very forgettable. It has nothing going for it unless you're dehydrated and can only find this instead of water.

2.55/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. The presentation of this telegraphs the experience of drinking this beer; clear glass bottle and screw cap. Nice graphics though. Pours a light, clear orange-yellow, thin white head dissipates quickly to a ring around the glass. Unsurprising adjunct and malt aroma with a hint of skunk at first. Flavor starts out pleasantly enough with light, sweet malt and faint hops but the adjunct components soon dominate and then abruptly, all flavor is gone. A very watery, bland finish that took me by surprise. Fortunately no skunking to the flavor, although that may have added a little interest to the finish. Mouth feel thin with light carbonation, but appropriate for the style. Gets extra half point for being pretty much what its packaging promises. No off flavors and would do on a desert island. Glad I got this beer and brewer ticked off; my first reviewed American adjunct lager! Moving on…..

3.8/5  rDev +47.3%

I am a little biased towards this beer because I get it free from my father regularly as it is his favorite. It certaily lacks the complexity of some of the better beers on the top 100 list, however it does serve its purpose as a light refreshing summery beer. There are not any beers that spring to mind as preferential for on the beach, though Jimmy Buffet's songs help make it more enjoyable as well!

Landshark Lager from Margaritaville Brewing Co.