Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Hurricane Reef Raspberry Wheat - Florida Beer Company

Hurricane Reef Raspberry WheatHurricane Reef Raspberry Wheat

Florida Beer Company visit their website
Florida, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.16/5  rDev -25%

"Wheat ale brewed and flavored wth natural raspberry flavoring." Made me wonder how the brewery could make "natural raspberry flavoring" taste so unnatural. Aroma was a candy-like raspberry - of the Jolly Rancher variety. Light body without any particular wheat characteristics - the only real flavor was the raspberry, which, again, had an artificial extract aspect. Poorly executed.

2.55/5  rDev -11.5%

Not good, not completely undrinkable...but by far the worst fruit beer I have had to date. The first few I poured out of the bottle into my glass were nearly undrinkable. The next few, I figured what the hell and just drank them out of the bottle, and they actually tasted better. Go figure. I had to dump 2 bottles just because I couldnt handle it anymore.

The appearance is decent...an amber color with a reddish glow and a thin white head. The nose has some raspberry to it, but it doesn't smell fresh and has an odd acidity to it. Fruity sweetness does not balance well with the malty wheat flavors. Very little hops to be found. Its as if someone mixed a lambic with a poorly done German wheat beer. An oily film was left in my mouth after drinking this. This was pretty unimpressive. I could drink it again, but I don't want to.

1.6/5  rDev -44.4%

Looked innocent enough, reddish, yellow golden color. Thin head. Nothing really to note on the nose, some fruit, some hops and florals. Then the taste, ugh. Awful, stale, fruity cool-ad like, then some fuzziness that you can't get off your tongue. I couldn't finish it. Call a grand jury, hand out the indicments, the brewers of this stuff have committed a crime. Maybe I just had a skunked bottle, but I am not going to give it another try.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last