Hurricane Reef Raspberry Wheat - Florida Beer Company

Hurricane Reef Raspberry WheatHurricane Reef Raspberry Wheat

Florida Beer Company visit their website
Florida, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Guinness4me

It poured a golden honey color with a slight, soapy head and left spotty lace on my glass. A bit cloudy as I would have expected for a wheat.

The smell was definitely raspberry and wheat with nutty undertones. I noticed little hops or malt in the smell as the raspberry overpowered everything in its path.

The taste was, you guessed it, raspberry and a bit metallic if not even a hint of tomato? Odd. Not as wheaty tasting as I had expected.

The carbonation had a slight zing but the flavor ended a bit sooner than I would have liked.

Light and fruity, I found it easy to drink in the right environment. Not complex, but it does stand true to its style. Since I've been drinking Oktoberfest and Winter brews for the last few months, this was a nice change.

12-12-2004 21:01:37 | More by Guinness4me
Imbiber

3.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Golden-amber, low carbonation and hardly any head. Aroma is overwhelmingly raspberry, it smells more like a milk shake than a beer - though not an unpleasant aroma by any means. Quite thin on the palate, the aroma is far bigger than the flavour. Not bitter, but dry-tasting; little aftertaste, little malt character, and slightly nondescript. This beer doesn't reach out and smack me in the tastebuds by any means, but is pleasant enough.

02-17-2004 03:56:04 | More by Imbiber
dpend

3.73/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have yet to find a truly inspirational Raspberry Wheat beer, but I'm somewhat surprised by the low ratings on this one. It poured nice and clear with an amber color as opposed to the sometimes artifical looking pink. Head was good and rentention and lacing were also good. Aroma of raspberry right away, but hard to detect any wheat aroma. No hops smell as well. Taste was fair and balanced, but still not a presence of wheat nd very minor hops.Not overly friuty though, which is good, more raspberry in the nose than anywhere else. A light,fresh and crisp beer as well.

12-21-2003 16:00:06 | More by dpend
UnionMade

Colorado

2.3/5  rDev -19.6%

Pours a clear filtered amber color with a thin lacing of head. I handwash all my beerware, so I guess there's just no head. A couple little floaties meandering through the beer. Hmmm.
Aroma is immediately raspberry sweet, with a decent malt background. I think they used more barley in this than wheat. No hops at all.
Flavor is mostly raspberry and some malt, with the wheat more apparent. Sugary sweet up front, with a slightly sour dry finish. Effervescent. A touch of clove and light white grape flavors. Not much, though. I think the beer may have been a little old, but it's tough to tell over the raspberry flavor.

07-22-2003 10:33:04 | More by UnionMade
oberon

3.3/5  rDev +15.4%

I had this back in Feb. while visiting my mom in Lakeland,pours a kight amber color with almost no head,rasberry puree aroma is pretty strong.Taste is of rasberry puree and very sweet probably too sweet, there is a subtle dryeness in the finish but not much.Not that great of a beer but I wasnt expecting much either.

07-10-2003 16:56:35 | More by oberon
Dogbrick

2.55/5  rDev -10.8%

Found at King's Supermarket in Kissimmee, FL. Pours an amber-rose color with a thin off-white head. Very thin lacing. Aroma is all raspberry. Flavor is very dry and the raspberry is almost overwhelming, along with the fizzyness. This needs malt or something to calm it down, as it tasted to me like a raspberry seltzer water. Finish was actually pretty smooth but I could do without having this again.

04-22-2003 11:56:18 | More by Dogbrick
Brent

Kentucky

2.15/5  rDev -24.8%

"Wheat ale brewed and flavored wth natural raspberry flavoring." Made me wonder how the brewery could make "natural raspberry flavoring" taste so unnatural. Aroma was a candy-like raspberry - of the Jolly Rancher variety. Light body without any particular wheat characteristics - the only real flavor was the raspberry, which, again, had an artificial extract aspect. Poorly executed.

03-08-2003 21:12:39 | More by Brent
IrishRedRock

2.53/5  rDev -11.5%

Not good, not completely undrinkable...but by far the worst fruit beer I have had to date. The first few I poured out of the bottle into my glass were nearly undrinkable. The next few, I figured what the hell and just drank them out of the bottle, and they actually tasted better. Go figure. I had to dump 2 bottles just because I couldnt handle it anymore.

The appearance is decent...an amber color with a reddish glow and a thin white head. The nose has some raspberry to it, but it doesn't smell fresh and has an odd acidity to it. Fruity sweetness does not balance well with the malty wheat flavors. Very little hops to be found. Its as if someone mixed a lambic with a poorly done German wheat beer. An oily film was left in my mouth after drinking this. This was pretty unimpressive. I could drink it again, but I don't want to.

03-08-2003 14:50:46 | More by IrishRedRock
StevieW

1.5/5  rDev -47.6%

Looked innocent enough, reddish, yellow golden color. Thin head. Nothing really to note on the nose, some fruit, some hops and florals. Then the taste, ugh. Awful, stale, fruity cool-ad like, then some fuzziness that you can't get off your tongue. I couldn't finish it. Call a grand jury, hand out the indicments, the brewers of this stuff have committed a crime. Maybe I just had a skunked bottle, but I am not going to give it another try.

06-03-2002 15:10:52 | More by StevieW