Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Ybor Gold Gaspars Porter - Florida Beer Company

Ybor Gold Gaspars PorterYbor Gold Gaspars Porter

good

poor

Florida Beer Company visit their website
Florida, United States

English Porter |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: StevieW on 02-11-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ybor Gold Gaspars Porter Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.28/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Surprise! I thought this was Ybor Gold as in the “All-Malt Lager.” I didn’t know it said “Gaspar’s Porter,” I was just looking at the neck label. Rookie. I poured this into a Pilsner glass…

Brown-ruby in hue, clear, so this is supposed to be a Porter. Interesting. The liquid lacks color depth. Beige foam, at the apex the head was two fingers tall. Head retention was very good, the bubbles slowly faded to a half finger cap which hung around a bit. The subsequent lacing was organized but not very widespread. Overall, this is a decent looking beer.

I’m smelling this a tickle colder than I’d like. My bad. Still, I can clearly distinguish notes of chocolate, caramel candy, and kisses of earthy nuts. It is powdery and bitter at the back. Not very chatty, low potency, IMO, this beer has a weak nose for a Porter. I like what I smell but I want more of it. Inviting, nevertheless.

The palate offers some bitter chocolate, hints of dried candy caramel, some coffee essence way in the distance. I found sweet chocolate and “brown ale-like” maltiness in the middle with some earthy hops too; similar finish but a tad thinner. Low hop bitterness. Malty, sweetish aftertaste with a tickle of fruitiness. This sure seems like a Brown Ale to me. For a Porter this is not a very impressive beer. It does taste good if I ignore style. Decent.

Medium-light in body, watery mouthfeel, low carbonation, the body is too weak for me. The mouthfeel is not awful but it’s not very good either.

Well, this is easy to drink. I could drink a couple with cold cuts, rye bread, and spice mustard. The more I think about this beer the more bored I get. So I guess I should shut up and drink. Anyway, thank you Daniel for this bottle. I can finally cross FL from my beer state list. (1,792 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -31.4%

12oz single, from BIF across america and BRoss42

appearance: pours into a sweetwater pint glass...definitely on the lighter side, amber-mahogany, foamy tan head with thin lacing

smell: odd, slightly watery, lightly toasted malt, peppery, raisin?, im not sure exactly what is going on here

taste: more of the same, taste is really watered down, there has to be something to be said about the florida water situation, raisin, lightly chocolatey...wierd

mouthfeel: thin-medium

drinkability: not very (511 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -13%

Very light brown. Surprising. Aggressive pour yields large fluffy rocky head. Good retention and thick lacing.

Weak smell. There’s a slight toasted smell but not enough to please.

This beer tastes watered down. Very thin and watery feeling. Another disappointing Florida brew. Thanks to JRedner for a chance to try this one. (331 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -4.6%

Very little aroma what i could detect was like alcohol covered mildewed hay. Poured a rich dark brown that fell short of being black. Choclate and coffe taste is abundant. Actually tastes real good. Thin, but no thinner than Bert Grant’s in fact it is somewhat similar and that suprised me cause I really like Bert Grant’s even though it too is on the thin side.

Pretty nice flavorwise, but the mouthfeel is more like the "ale" it used to be named. (453 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. amber bottle courtesy of AKSmokedPorter.

Poured a lovely deep amber in color with a fluffy tan head that lasts. Nice lacing. Aromas are very sweet, with some chocolate thrown in for good measure. Flavor is mostly malty sweetness, tempered by some cocoa powder. I agree with AKSP's possibility of some cherry in the flavor. Decent mouthfeel and drinkability. A respectable porter. (388 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +13.3%

This brew is now accurately labeled "Gaspar's Porter" (after Jose Gaspar the pirate) instead of "Gaspar's Ale" (originally named an ale so as not to scare the kiddies) as the brewery has realigned the labeling to put all the old Ybor City beers under the "Ybor Gold" label when they changed the name to Florida Brewing Company, which was caused by buying out Key West & Hurricane Reef breweries. Thus endeth the history lesson.

Pours a deep, dark reddish-brown with a decent head that dissipates within a couple of minutes.
Smells a bit hoppier than it actually is, but not an overly hoppy nose, a bit woody/earthy, malty, with hints of coffee & chocolate.
Noticeable coffee and chocolate flavors, a good maltiness. The alcohol is somewhat noticeable, especially in the aftertaste, a good point in my estimation. Very well balanced flavor.
The mouthfeel is very good, not excessively heavy, maybe even a litlle lighter than most porters, but very smooth and enjoyable. It drinks almost like a good English brown ale with the flavor of a porter, if that makes sense to you.
I am lucky enough to get this straight from the brewery, one of the better tasting porters I've had, if not the best in mouthfeel, and I find it an extremely drinkable beer. (1,254 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Solid brown with a full creamy tan to light brown head, good carbonation, and sporadic sheets of lace. Malty dark caramel aroma. Dark caramel malt flavor with a light roastiness. Medium-full bodied with a drying finish.

Nice to see a porter from Florida and decent but no real outstanding qualities.

Best before: Feb '04 (notches seemed off (?))
Tasted: 04/20/04 (369 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +0.3%

Confessional note: Gaspar's Porter was my first porter. It was similar to a stout, but imo was a little weak in the flavor department. I would take it over Guinness if I was in a dark beer mood. The taste is a cross of chocolate and coffee, with a little bit of bitterness to complement the overwhelming malt. Since I have not had other porters I am just comparing it to other dark beers. I would drink it again would buy if the price was right.

--Joey (455 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -2.6%

Dark amber (and I just saw a lot of Amber in Poland). Fluffy light brown head that faded quickly. Notably strong roasted malts on the nose. A nice malty taste with something like bakers chocolate intermixed. Not really sweet except right on the tip of the tongue. The carbonation was a bit week IMO and it was drinkable but nothing special given it's weight and taste. I'll try off tap next I'm in Florida if I stumble across it. (429 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +11%

Pours a deep brown in color with a light brown head. It's not as dark as other porters. Its mild aroma is of roasted malts.

The roasted malt smell carries over quite well to the taste. This porter has much more of a roasted, even coffee, character than other porters, which lean more toward malty. Hops, although not directly noticeable, must have been used skillfully to counteract the sweetness from the malts.

I have yet to drink a bad porter. The requirements of the style must make screwing it up tough. Having brewed a porter myself, you can hide a lot of mistakes in them thanks to their generous use of roasted malts.

Gaspar's Ale is a good porter from my home state. (685 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Pours a reddish-brown color with perfect clarity. A light tan head starts around an inch deep and shrinks to a steady cap.

Smell: Aroma of toasted malt, bitter chocolate, lightly roasted coffee, and hops. Overall, the smell is a bit faint, as I really had to swirl the glass to detect anything.

Taste: Fairly rich and smooth with lots of toasted malt, chocolate, and coffee flavors. There's a nice hop character that balances the brew nicely, but the actual hop flavor is low key and in the background. Finishes with the balance slightly toward the hoppy end of the spectrum.

Mouthfeel: Dry and crisp, with a mouthfeel that is a bit too thin for me. I'd like to see a little more 'oomph' in the body.

Drinkability: Pretty good. I could drink this one on a somewhat regular basis, but I don't think it's quite good enough to become a regular of mine.

A 'thank you' goes to StevieW for including this in our trade! (939 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +11%

Pours with a fine off-white head over deep reddish-brown liquid. The nose has lots of coffee emanating upwards. The taste is dry, with some bittersweet chocolate flavors mixing with some slight coffee notes very nicely. Finishes malty and dryish, rich and mellow. A very well made ale.

Thanks again to Stevie W. for the bottle! (330 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +17.6%

12 oz. bottle. A winter seasonal from Ybor City Brewing in Tampa. It honors the Gasparilla festival in Tampa each February. Gasparilla was a pirate who lived in the area in the early 19th century. A beer named after a pirate, I like it already.
Murky brown pour. Rich foamy beige head. Lots of bubbles. Smell was a nice even combination of subtle chocolate and bitter coffee. You had to concentrate hard to get any noticable smells. Taste made up for it. Again chocolate malt in the background, some roasted coffee notes, not much. Nice sharp bitter bite to the finish. The flavors are there, but not as pronounced as some other porters.The coffee bitterness opens more as the beer sits a few minutes. Still they balance very well, and make for a very smooth porter. Medium to full bodied, nice feel. Stays solid to the end, no watery finish here, unlike the beer's namesake. Gasparilla's legend tells of him wrapping chains around his body and plunging into the Gulf of Mexico when facing arrest by the US Navy. (1,014 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last