Key West Sunset Ale - Florida Beer Company

poor

Florida Beer Company visit their website
Florida, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: zerk on 12-23-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Key West Sunset Ale Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +40.7%

4.22/5  rDev +39.7%

This beer had a very unusual taste, I want to say almost like dill. It was none the less refreshing. I was with my girlfriend in Key West when I decided to purchase a six-pack of this exotic brew. I pleasantly surprised. It's rare to go to a random convenience store and find a decent beer you've never had before. I say it's worth a try.

4.08/5  rDev +35.1%

I must say I was very skeptical about this beer at first since it was made with key lime. I have had lime beers in the past and I couldn't stand it so I was figuring I would have the same reaction to one made with key lime. Not the case
The beer pours a light amber color and finishes with a nice thick creamy head.
The smell is a nutty sweet with slight hints of citrus
When tasting the key lime is not over powering at all the beer itself does have a bit of hoppiness to it
I would have to say this beer is very much like a killians red with key lime in it

4.08/5  rDev +35.1%

location location location.

I just got back from the keys tonight.. I sampled this beer in every form except on a hookers ass (that fell through).

on tap @ papa joe's this was pure heaven looking out onto the sunset after a hurricane has landed.

in all seriousness this sucked in a bottle but I am basing my scores on the best case scenario I had in the keys on tues night.

papa joe's is a tiki bar perched about 20ft up on the end of islamorada (a collection of islands in the keys, think a town made up of islands).

Down here you get Killians if you are lucky... seriously. but it doesnt matter this time of year, hot as balls, 90+ plus (yes, that reads 2 pluses) every day and bright, burning sun (I have bacon ears now folks). This beer stood out. On tap in a crappy frat type clear plastic cup it even called to a non beer friend of mine "this smells like pine".. Yep, this has a citrus/pine nose (mellow) with a hop kick (mellow)... medium color, light head.

in a bottle this is pretty much suckage but on tap @ papa joe's (and I had it at the lorelei as well) this is one damn tasty beer.

imagine the sunset on the gulf side of the keys blazing, with shark, tarpon, and all sort swimming beneath you into the mangrove trails...

I dont think an extreme beer in this environment is needed at all, when in rome do as romans do. If you dont like margaritas get this on tap from a popular place, sip hardy! Thinking about it brings me right back to the balcony. and this was after Katrina came through.. this isnt something to order out of its element, it wont be appreciated.

side note: the tap is a conch shell on top... I had ample opportunities to take photos of it.. but hell, I didnt care.

Maybe this is skewed because it was the only beer besides bmc or yuengling that was even on tap when I visited my folks in South West Florida. Nice amber color with good head and lacing malty taste up front with a bit of hops just to balance and something I couldn't quite put my finger on. Mouthfeel was great easy going down lager like - this is a good beer - if you see it on tap in Florida - buy it.

3.98/5  rDev +31.8%

At the miami airport, while on a layover between flights to new york....

pour is quite orange-toned, based on the bottle and the pour alone you wouldn't expecto too much from this beer. very thin head (no more than 0.5 cm even though i tried), it's quite opaque , though.

Smell is fruits right off the bat. very citrusy which i found much in sync with it's florida-style, i'm thinking ruby red here and oranges. in spite of the small head. some hops and grassyness hidden in between, but it's mostly tropical.

taste is different, but it's good, it's once again like biting into a fizzy tangerine or something, full of straightforward taste but with a nice soft hoppy finale, not too bitter either, and not watery at all...in fact i think it was full bodied and the carbonation was just right for the sunshine state feel throughout.

Decent beer for the state, not my top pick but a decent one anyway that i would dare drink again.

3.95/5  rDev +30.8%

Having this in a bar on the docks at key west. A nice flavorful amber.this one is better than most. on top of that it's half the price of the less interesting brews on the ship I got off of.

Being an amber I wouldn't normally go our of my way for something like this. Today it tastes great. It's a well created brew.

3.83/5  rDev +26.8%

Pours a deep amber with a white head. Head falls to nothing with thin lacing.

Clean malts in the nose, not bad.

Malts come through in the taste. A bit tangy.

Thin to medium mouthfeel with a lot of carbonation.

This is a beer I can sit and drink on tap, and I do. Not a bad alternative if there is nothing but BMC on draft (which there usually is down here).

3.83/5  rDev +26.8%

Picked up a bottle with a mixed six-pack at the World Market in Pensacola FL. Pours a fairly clear amber color. Slightly malty aroma. Good taste, Mild, smooth somewhat malty to begin with and some very well balanced hops bitterness at the end. Fairly rich mouthfeel for the style. Drinkability ok...nothing unpleasant, bit of variety in the taste and very smooth. This is no SNPL but a beer I would enjoy on a warm day.

3.8/5  rDev +25.8%

Best microbrewed beer I could find in the Tampa-St. Pete area. That ain't saying much, though, as this brewery's products were all there was anywhere near St. Pete Beach. Oh well.

Pours a clear reddish gold under a half finger off white head that fades quickly leaving no lace or other trace on the surface of the liquid. The nose features sweet candy and flowery hops - quite pleasant. The mouth is light and very prickly. The taste opens with smooth citrus and mild malt, followed immediately by a decent hoppy bite, flowery and fresh. A nice malt-hop blend follows through in the finish, with the bitter edge lingering long after the liquid is gone. A good effort.

Key West Sunset Ale from Florida Beer Company