Key West Sunset Ale - Florida Beer Company

poor

Florida Beer Company visit their website
Florida, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: zerk on 12-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Key West Sunset Ale Alström Bros

psykad, Dec 01, 2012

Marissaellen, Sep 25, 2014

After reading the ingredients, and being a homebrewer, hops such as chinook, golden etc.

we found this today in publix super market,
picked up a sixer to try.

with all the fancy packaging this one leaves you going HUH??? read on please

poured into a Guinness pint glass light amber color with a 1.5 finger tall head,with no lacing.
I tried ..i mean i really tried to find any telltale of hops..there isn't any !!!
Much like the Budweiser Amrican ale this stuff is for dead parrots and budweiser fans it's just bad.

A bad aftertaste of rice corn corporate brewer swill,from the bottom of a food trough in some feed lot. It's to bad as it doesn't cost much more to use good Malt, this is not barley malt of any account it'll be sure to give one a headache if not poured down the drain.

Ale it isn',t swill it is.

ale1, May 11, 2012
1.25/5  rDev -58.6%

Not sure how people gave this beer any credibility at all and some really good beers got rated a lot lower than this. Maybe I got some old bottles but I got a lot of them because my grocery store ran a Buy one 6 pack get one free deal (7.99) on this and the key lime version and both were very hard to drink and actually after about 3, it just made my whole body feel like crap like I was drinking Budweiser or cheap swag like that. The beer felt real heavy on the stomach and the taste left very much to be desired. One of the few times I have poured beer down the sink since I bought a case of each. Usually even with average beer the more you drink the easier it is to get down but the more I put down of this beer the more I was ready to quit drinking for the day.

vnylbean, Feb 04, 2011
1.6/5  rDev -47%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Thanks Mark and Joan for bringing this beer back from Florida!

A: Clear, golden-amber coloration. Initial head quickly fades . . . lingers slightly. Good amount of carbonation visible rising to the top of glass.

S: Grassy, mowed-lawn, slightly biscuity with a small amount of roast.

T: Watery with a grassy finish. A touch of grapefruit and caramel in the middle. Lingering bread and grass.

M: Very light body for an amber. Overly carbonated. Lingering grassy resins.

O: Not good at all. I normally do not seek out ambers, but I have had some good ones. This is not one of them. Way too light for an amber. Hopped terribly. Week old lawn clippings and stale bread soaked in water and carbonated.

(This beer did travel to me and was under some stress and high temperatures . . . still, the Jai Alai I received, traveling under the same conditions, was very good)

bluetravlr, Jul 23, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -42.1%

I really can't say I didn't like this beer because it tasted like water and everyone drinks water. However, being that it was suppose to be a beer, an Amber beer at that, I found it disappointing... I wonder if they even used hops at all. The scent was very faint, not the malty nostril filled bliss you get from say Bell's Amber. While lacking in taste and smell this beer, like its sibling the Beachside Porter, seems over-carbonation. About the only thing this beer had going for it was the color. The color was a beautiful gold which did remind me of sunset behind Florida's ocean coast, which is exactly where I drank it.

Unless you enjoy gold colored seltzer water I would not recommend this beer. Beers I don't like usually get 0 points for taste but I'll give the Key West Sunset Ale a little credit for not being nasty and a little more credit for its color.

LuthersLager, Jan 09, 2011
1.93/5  rDev -36.1%

Consumed at Sloppy Joe's in Key West. This is a pretty poor offering.

Smell is very bland with some mild malts. Taste is just as bland. Malts do show up but so does a buttery slickness which becomes rather sickening making me unable to finish my glass. Mouthfeel is nothing special. Just get a mixed drink instead.

PatYoda, Jan 10, 2006
1.98/5  rDev -34.4%

The beer presents nicely enough, with a lovely copper color and appropriate carbonation. The head dissipates rather quickly without much lace.

The nose doesn't offer much--a slight hint of citrusy hops, and a tiny suggestion of biscuit and malt.

Upon first drinking it, you expect quite a bit more than what is delivered. The extremely thin primary beer taste is a minuscule toastiness and scratch of hops in the finish. However, the primary overall taste might be compared more closely to seltzer water or club soda, with a more beer-like mouthfeel. Weird.

It's disappointing when a beer initially looks this nice, and then lets you down.

I should also say that I've had this beer on draught at the brewery tap room, and it was considerably better, but still not great. I might be willing to accept that I got a bad 6-pack, and that the bottle version could be better, but even at the source it was marginal. Maybe in the heat of the Florida summer, in the brewery with the pasteurizer running on high, an ice cold, super-light beer like this is just what they're looking for.

schubrews, Apr 16, 2008

acurtis, Mar 21, 2013

Whoa!!!! Maybe I got a bad bottle or something....but Key West Sunset Ale is not very good....at least in my opinion. The color is a cloudy amber with no head and no lacing. There may be a hint of honey in the nose....but really nothing. The taste is very metallic and acidic. I really dont know how to describe this beer. The poor taste ruins the mouthfeel of this beer and I would chose Miller Lite over this one.

WoodBrew, May 05, 2011

MemphisANiD, Feb 09, 2013

kmckinnon87, Jan 21, 2012

bcsbeer, Dec 06, 2012
2.17/5  rDev -28.1%

I can't even give this a full review. The look and smell seems okay and malty like it would be light and tasty (although a little too fruity), but in actuality it's harsh and one note. Starts malty, but in a slimy cloying way. Ends with the harsh and tangy after taste that sticks with you in a bad way. The finish is almost like commercial swill, but somehow worse because it follows the malty sweetness. I have to admit though, this is the best Florida Brewing Co brew I have tasted.

HiGravShawn, Oct 02, 2009
2.2/5  rDev -27.2%

A -This beer pours a deep orange and almost completely clear. The medium head dissipates quickly leaving no head and little lacing.

S- The malty aroma is pleasant enough with bready notes on the side. Weirdly it has a green tea smell as well.

T- The taste is bizarre. I don't what they are trying to do here, but it tastes like a soapy lemonade with no sugar. There is a tanic acid bite in the finish. There is very little malt in this beer.

M- This beer has a light crisp mouthfeel with a tight fizzy finish.

O - I tried to like this beer. But with each sip I liked it less and less. Now I have to admit, I won this beer as part of a tasting contest at the local ABC. The prize was a basket of beers. This may be an old single. I will try another one some other day, and revise this rating if necessary. But for now I don't find much to recommend it.

chickenflea, Sep 09, 2011