Key West Sunset Ale - Florida Beer Company

Florida Beer Company visit their website
Florida, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: zerk on 12-23-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Key West Sunset Ale Alström Bros

After reading the ingredients, and being a homebrewer, hops such as chinook, golden etc.

we found this today in publix super market,
picked up a sixer to try.

with all the fancy packaging this one leaves you going HUH??? read on please

poured into a Guinness pint glass light amber color with a 1.5 finger tall head,with no lacing.
I tried ..i mean i really tried to find any telltale of hops..there isn't any !!!
Much like the Budweiser Amrican ale this stuff is for dead parrots and budweiser fans it's just bad.

A bad aftertaste of rice corn corporate brewer swill,from the bottom of a food trough in some feed lot. It's to bad as it doesn't cost much more to use good Malt, this is not barley malt of any account it'll be sure to give one a headache if not poured down the drain.

Ale it isn',t swill it is.

3.08/5  rDev +2%

A: half finger head on a amber and golden body.

S: very light on the nose mostly a little caramel malt and grain.

T: this one is a little strange. Malts make up the majority of the flavor with little hop character to speak of and sweetness on the front end.

M: medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: plain but drinkable. not at all memorable.

2.81/5  rDev -7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

It's a decent looking beer, pours out a red-brown color with a finger of head that stays afloat fairly well. The aroma is weak, but what I can get is sweet grains and malts. The taste is perfectly quaffable, it's got a well-rounded, solid "beer" taste and not too much more. It's maybe a hair sweeter and just a hair hoppier than the generic-labeled "BEER" can archetype. The mouthfeel is light and well-carbonated, and the drinkability is good. This isn't a bad beer, it's just thoroughly mediocre in every way. That said, it wouldn't be a bad beer to pour the unadventurous without supporting Big Beer.

2.58/5  rDev -14.6%

We were visiting Florida and my mother in law picked up a 6 pack of this beer for me, because she knew I like to sample local beers. At least her heart was in the right place.

The beer was an amber color with just a film of head.

Not much aroma. Mostly grain, maybe a little caramel.

Not much taste either. A hint of caramel and a hint of hops.

Light-bodied. It did quench my thirst, but then again, so does water.

2.85/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Orange amber, sudsy topping

SMELL: Grainy, toasted, faint caramel, herbal, buttery, peppery

TASTE: Dry, grainy, slightly acrid, husk, herbal, yeast, light broth, absent aftertaste, bone dry finish

This beer probably has potential but seems to be stripped down, cleansed too much or just not brewed well. Lacks any real character and mimics industrial-like mass produced beers. This sunset has no soul.

2.37/5  rDev -21.5%

On tap at Bonnet Creek resort Disney World.

A – Poured out a light brown to shades of orange. Maybe a half finger of stark white head. No lacing to speak of at all.

S – Almost no smell at all. Maybe a touch of fruit?

T – Very heavy sweet in my opinion with a lot of fruit and a good deal of honey. Caramel malt as well. Not much else.

M – Medium, bit on creamy side with ample carbonation.

O – Just not for me. This came across as very sweet. It was hard to finish but honestly after a all day Disney trip with the kids I would have poured anything down.

2.85/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from the bottle into a 500mL glass

Appearance: Pours a light bolden brown color with a small white head and very little lacing.

Smell: A slight berry smell is noticable, the smell is nothing more than adequate.

Taste: The initial taste was rather pleasant with a slight fruitiness and hint of berries. the middle taste of it isnt quite as pleasant as the begging but better than the end. there is little after taste that I observed with this Ale, it is also relatively dry and light.

Mouthfeel: Light Medium bodied with a more than sufficient amount of carbonation, smooth but not very crisp.

Drinkability: Not the best beer I have had but not the worst either

Overall: Not a terrible beer one that may suit the occasion more so than ordering or trading for. This beer would probably be acceptable to have when in Key West.

2.4/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Review from notes at World of Beer - Fort Myers on 10/8/11.

Poured on draft into a shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a medium golden caramel with a 1 finger snow white head. Minimal lacing. Doesn't look like an amber/red ale.

Smell: Sweet berries and apricot. Not a lot going on here.

Taste: Tart fruitiness and sweet berries with a touch of a flavor I would compare to the aroma of a urinal cake up front followed by a little sweet malt in the middle before ending with a light touch of hops at the finish. Aftertaste is dry and light.

Mouthfeel: Light-to-medium-bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

Drinkability: Low drinkability. I wouldn't want another.

Overall: Poor beer overall. This has nothing in common with any amber/red ales I'm familiar with. It's like a poorly made version of Magic Hat #9. Avoid.

2.81/5  rDev -7%

Poured into a regular pint glass.

A - Poured clear amber color with minimal head and almost no lacing around the glass.

S - Slight scent of malts with floral hints and lightly hoppy.

T - Grains to start with slight sweetness followed. Slightly bitter hoppy finish but other than that not much there.

M - Light bodied with medium carbonation.

O - Just below average, not overly impressive red ale. Don't go out of the way to get it or try it.

2.31/5  rDev -23.5%

A -This beer pours a deep orange and almost completely clear. The medium head dissipates quickly leaving no head and little lacing.

S- The malty aroma is pleasant enough with bready notes on the side. Weirdly it has a green tea smell as well.

T- The taste is bizarre. I don't what they are trying to do here, but it tastes like a soapy lemonade with no sugar. There is a tanic acid bite in the finish. There is very little malt in this beer.

M- This beer has a light crisp mouthfeel with a tight fizzy finish.

O - I tried to like this beer. But with each sip I liked it less and less. Now I have to admit, I won this beer as part of a tasting contest at the local ABC. The prize was a basket of beers. This may be an old single. I will try another one some other day, and revise this rating if necessary. But for now I don't find much to recommend it.

3.13/5  rDev +3.6%

L: Pours a nice copper color with a medium sized and medium bodied off white colored head that laces the glass a little bit on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted and toasted malts, hints of caramel and honey and slight hops at the end.
T: Tastes of sweet malts, caramel, honey, and a touch of some hops at the end.
M: Crisp, refreshing, perfect amount of carbonation, light bodied.
D: Pretty drinkable, it went down easy, not a lot of flavors going on but then again it doesn't necessarily need it. It's a decent beach beer for sure.

3.21/5  rDev +6.3%

My first review...and it couldn't be better timed. Just got finished with a great day at the beach, and this beer is waiting for me to quench my thirst. A perfect way to mark the occasion.

A- beautiful color...yes, it really does look like like a sunset. It invites me to take a long pull for sure.

S- not too much to report here. You can bet it has a strong malt taste waiting though...that much definitely comes through.

T- I would say I am usually a hop-oriented guy, so beers with large malt profiles usually keep me away. However, there is something special with this beer. It is definitely interesting enough to keep me wanting more. Yes the malt is definitely forward and I do not get much in the way of hops, but in my opinion it has a nice balance. It is satisfying, thirst quenching and sweet in a good way.

M- pretty much what you would expect by looking at it.

O- maybe I open these beers with a bit of a biased opinion (I've spent many a night in and around the Keys sipping this brew and taking in all of that Key West flavor). But my heart and my taste buds really like this brew. That is one of the main reasons that I chose this a my first review! So crack one open, take a look at that lovely amber hue, close your eyes and pretend that you are on Mallory Square watching another epic sunset. At least that's what I plan on doing.

3.08/5  rDev +2%

Golden/orange in color, this beer has an average level of foaminess and a nose that isn’t very pronounced, emphasizing sweet malt. The body of the beer has a slight amount of haze, giving it the appearance of a sunset.

This beer has a medium body and a mouthfeel that is creamy and a tad oily. The taste is mostly malty and sweet up- front, like a beer usually is, with just a touch of smokiness and caramel. Some biscuit- like notes could also be detected, and the beer finishes with a nice dosage of hops. The hops cannot mask the overall sweetness, but they make for a nice balance and an aftertaste that is a little bit citrus- like and a little bit bitter.

2.48/5  rDev -17.9%

A - deep amber, white head that has some retention and minimal lacing.

S/T - Similar and simple with caramelly sweet malts, a bit of grain husk, and a touch of hop bitterness in the finish. Turns a bit sweet by the end.

M - Medium body, very high carbonation, finishes messy, with a load of sweet stickiness still coating the mouth.

O - Had it once, and didn't get get it again, even in the craft beer wasteland that is Key West.

Whoa!!!! Maybe I got a bad bottle or something....but Key West Sunset Ale is not very good....at least in my opinion. The color is a cloudy amber with no head and no lacing. There may be a hint of honey in the nose....but really nothing. The taste is very metallic and acidic. I really dont know how to describe this beer. The poor taste ruins the mouthfeel of this beer and I would chose Miller Lite over this one.

3.95/5  rDev +30.8%

Having this in a bar on the docks at key west. A nice flavorful amber.this one is better than most. on top of that it's half the price of the less interesting brews on the ship I got off of.

Being an amber I wouldn't normally go our of my way for something like this. Today it tastes great. It's a well created brew.

3.37/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Lightly hazy copper color with orange in there. It actually does look like the sunset.

S: Earthy and nutty with floral hops and nice biscuit malt notes. Light corn can be detected as well. Some traces of cheap grains.

T: Front is tangy and spicy with a grainy, bready middle. Slightly bitter on the finish, but with a lingering sweetness that makes everything ok. A citrus presence. Significantly hoppy and dry overall.

D: Why not, it's not a bad beer for a summer day.

Value: Not bad. I can get this for around 7 bucks a sixer.

2.63/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear stemmed glass wine goblet. Freshness date 10299 for Oct 28 2010. 6-pack purchased at Publix (Orlando, FL) for $7.19.

A: Clear amber with thin cap of ivory head with no lacing.

S: Grainy, honey-like malt sweetness with nothing else

T: Flavor is the same -- honeyish grain with a bit of biscuit and minimal grassy hops flavors in the finish

M: Smooth with some biting carbonation, light-medium body

D: Way to sugary sweet with almost no hops presence. Skip it, even at that price.

1.3/5  rDev -57%

Not sure how people gave this beer any credibility at all and some really good beers got rated a lot lower than this. Maybe I got some old bottles but I got a lot of them because my grocery store ran a Buy one 6 pack get one free deal (7.99) on this and the key lime version and both were very hard to drink and actually after about 3, it just made my whole body feel like crap like I was drinking Budweiser or cheap swag like that. The beer felt real heavy on the stomach and the taste left very much to be desired. One of the few times I have poured beer down the sink since I bought a case of each. Usually even with average beer the more you drink the easier it is to get down but the more I put down of this beer the more I was ready to quit drinking for the day.

Had a 24oz version with lunch at The Island. Showed up a deep amber with some carb and no head. Smelled mostly of malts but not much else. Tasted pretty good, somewhat standard. Had a bit of a spicey subtle hop with mostly malt flavor. Touch of brown sugar and a subtle flavoring of amber ale. Pretty easy drinkung and mostly beerish water. Not my favorite, bit far more pleasamt than most standard offerings, and I am more than happy to drink one after the other after the other when available.

1.75/5  rDev -42.1%

I really can't say I didn't like this beer because it tasted like water and everyone drinks water. However, being that it was suppose to be a beer, an Amber beer at that, I found it disappointing... I wonder if they even used hops at all. The scent was very faint, not the malty nostril filled bliss you get from say Bell's Amber. While lacking in taste and smell this beer, like its sibling the Beachside Porter, seems over-carbonation. About the only thing this beer had going for it was the color. The color was a beautiful gold which did remind me of sunset behind Florida's ocean coast, which is exactly where I drank it.

Unless you enjoy gold colored seltzer water I would not recommend this beer. Beers I don't like usually get 0 points for taste but I'll give the Key West Sunset Ale a little credit for not being nasty and a little more credit for its color.

2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

Had this beer at Chili's in the Ft. Lauderdale airport. This beer was quite average, nothing spectacular. The taste was crisp with a hint of citrus, with little to no aftertaste.

It's better than a Bud or other common beers but not by much. Next time I'll go with hard liquor.

3.38/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a- nice golden amber color with a small head if poured aggressively, minimal lacing
s- not much of a smell, reminds me a little of yuengling but milder
t- a hint of caramel malt and a touch of hops, just barely enough to make this an amber,not much going on really but not bad
m- medium mouthfeel, a tad creamy
d- overall this is a drinkable beer but i see it as more of an upgrade from corona and the likes for party purposes

3.3/5  rDev +9.3%

A - Reddish amber in color, Key West Sunset Ale is easy to see through, as it lacks any type of cloudiness. A small white head and ring form upon pour but dissipate rather quickly and leave no trace.

S - Upon first smell you get a good whiff of citrus and caramel malts. After deciphering the scent more there's a slight presence of grainy malt hidden.

T - The taste actually follows the scent pretty well. The first response to the taste is grapefruit which gives way quickly to what seem like out of place caramel malts. The finish is full of floral hops and grain. In my opinion it's a truly odd pairing of tastes, but it's not bad. (I didn't say it was great either.) It's just unique.

M - Low to medium bodied with low to medium carbonation. It's got a smooth texture to it. Easy on the palate.

D - It's a drinkable beer, definitely. Seems like a good beer to be out on a hot day, which is when I was able to taste this. It's not something I'd want very often. Heck, it's not a bad beer but I'll probably never have it again. It's not extremely appealing to me.

2.61/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a clean orange-ish to copper color with a small off white head. In the aroma, sweet malt and hints of gingerbread. In the taste, sweet malt, a small hop and a small grassiness. A small bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry to clean aftertaste. The name sells this beer, ok but nothing to exciting.

Key West Sunset Ale from Florida Beer Company