Key West Southernmost Wheat - Florida Beer Company

Key West Southernmost WheatKey West Southernmost Wheat

Florida Beer Company visit their website
Florida, United States

Witbier |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: Drew966 on 04-24-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Key West Southernmost Wheat Alström Bros

odbjs735, May 08, 2012

dwhitney, Jul 11, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -48.4%

Rhettroactive, Jul 23, 2013

JoannaFL, Nov 05, 2012

Howlader, Jul 20, 2014

kmckinnon87, Jan 21, 2012
2.03/5  rDev -40.1%

From a bron bottle - Pours a whitish/pale with a small almost non existent head. Smells of yeast, spices, and lemon. First sip has some spicy notes but mot much flavor a with a bland finish bitter. Fairly light bodied but carbonated well. Worth avoiding

ATLbeerDog, Sep 13, 2008
2.1/5  rDev -38.1%

I really do love wheat beers, and this one was a Belgian white. But it wasn't what I was hoping for.

The beer poured out a cloudly, yellowish color, more so than other whites I've tried - it didn't look to appealing to me. As far as a scent or odor - I couldn't smell one - nothing, nada, zip - I almost inhaled the beer trying to smell something from it.

Mouthfeel was worse than what I've experienced from other beers and the taste was just marginally better than other Belgian beers I have tried. I did get to taste the orange flavor and the coriander and all that - but it just didn't impress me.

Overall, I think I'm being a bit generous on the rating - maybe I picked up an old bottle or something. I'll give it another try, but not after I partake of others I enjoy.

jjamadorphd, Dec 09, 2012
2.17/5  rDev -36%

Poured a modestly hazy yellow into a pint glass, with zero head, very little carbonation, and little to no lacing. The nose revealed very subtle lemon, grass, and hay; not much else. The taste seemed like a watered-down version of itself, with very subdued notes of the above flavors, and an awkwardly bitter finish. Very thin, unbalanced, and more carbonated than the appearance.

donniecuffs, Jul 23, 2010
2.2/5  rDev -35.1%

Whoa and yikes! I'm glad i only got two bottles of this beer. Pours a clear, golden boringness. Very minimal head thats thin and almost invisible lacing. Smells of sour budweiser. Very light in the mouth for a wheat beer, watery and thin, and to me "airy'

Has a faint citrus-bitter taste, quite flat, no taste of lime whatsoeve, gives me that gut-rot feeling.

sauron681, Apr 04, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -33.6%

Bottle sampled at the brewery. Sour wheat aroma. Cloudy yellow with some foam. Heavy carbonation and demonstrated in the bubbles. Corriander, orange peel, and infused lime taste. Too many weak tastes thrown together. Thin mouthfeel.Redkneck beer for a hot drunk afternoon.

Sammy, Feb 22, 2009
2.33/5  rDev -31.3%

Glassware - Shaker Pint

Appearance - Golden yellow in color with a short fizzy white head that recedes in to a solid cap. Leaves a little bit of lacing on the glass but nothing really spectacular.

Nose - Kind of funky what aroma and not much else. There is a little bit of assorted citrus but it is mostly just funky wheat.

Taste - There is a little more citrus in the taste but any refreshment that would have provided is being over powered by the funky wheat.

Mouthfeel - Thin and watery with a lot of carbonation...

Overall - It is what it is, another thin watery beer for the masses. I would not recommend this to anyone and will not be buying any more of it myself. I wish, as probably the largest craft brewer from Florida, they would make a better beer but instead we have to live with mediocrity.

mullenite, Jan 29, 2010

Jamstone714, Dec 30, 2011

VinsanityDiesel, Aug 06, 2013

klesniew, Sep 04, 2014

gjoker321, Feb 21, 2014

GTB, Apr 12, 2014

nickfl, Jan 15, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -24.8%

This is another of tone77's many bottles to keep me busy when not actively engaged in The CANQuest (TM). I am reminded that it has been over four years since TheChauffeur1 and I visited on our month-long journey. Wow, time flies like an arrow while fruit flies like a banana!

From the bottle: "Beer of the Conch Republic"; "Belgian-style ale brewed with spices & Key Lime"; "Head south. You've made it. The Southernmost Point. The Conch Republic. Home of the Sunset. You're as far South as you can go in the Continental USA. Now the sun, the sand and the ocean waves are calling your name. That slower-paced, sun-drenched lifestyle is patiently standing by. And the distinctive all natural flavors of coriander, orange peel and Key lime that grace this white-wheat ale are waiting for you to pop the top off and dive right in."

I greatly agitated this so as to ensure anything that may have floculated would be in suspension. It also meant waiting for it to settle so that it would not explode on me, but now I (and it) am/are ready to go. The pour produced a finger of foamy, bone-white head that simply could not last in the face of today's humidity. Color was a murky orangish-yellow, reminiscent of freshly squeezed grapefruit juice. Nose had the spice of the coriander and the citrusiness of the orange and lime as expected. Mouthfeel was medium and I got an unexpected tartness on the tongue as though the fruit was not interacting well or they had just used too much of it. Either way, I know that I have had more refreshing examples of the style. Finish was dry, but kind of bland and boring, without any real snap to it. A once and done, sorry.

woodychandler, Jul 17, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -22.4%

Bottle into pint glass
A – I assume my (bad?) pour resulted in zero and I mean zero head, opaque golden yellow with pale edges 2
S – Lime, grapefruit, dried grass, grain, yeast 3.5
T – short version… Lime & orange wheat. Long version… lime, wheat middle, to a tart orange zest finish, slight coriander. Clean & potentially refreshing… but all around I’m not enjoying this brew greatly 2.5
M – Light in body, a watery beer with excessive carbonation 2
O – A Key Lime twist on a light citrus wit that fails to achieve liftoff, lots going on but not well coordinated 2.5

rsdaugherty, Sep 24, 2011

campfirebrew, Nov 27, 2013

ZPB, Mar 07, 2013

Lob, Dec 25, 2012

KVNBGRY, Aug 01, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours a light golden with lots of carbonation bubbles. There's a 2-finger white head that quickly dissipates. Some lacing.

The smell is mainly yeast, wheat, lime, and slight hops. The taste reminds me of Tequiza with its kind of cheap, artificial lime flavor. There are also flavors of yeast, sour hops & a hint of sweet mandarin oranges. Nasty sour aftertaste. The mouthfeel is crisp but too acidic (no doubt from the artificial lime).

This could be refreshing on a really hot day. However, there are too many good Wits out there that don't have the cheap lime additive to choose this.

theghost3, Oct 01, 2009