Swamp Ape IPA - Florida Beer Company

Swamp Ape IPASwamp Ape IPA

poor

Florida Beer Company visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: CampusCrew on 09-05-2010)
Reviews by sirdrinkwell:

3.81/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I like this beer a lot. I don't really understand the low rating. I didn't expect much when coming here but I expected it to be higher than 70.

The only thing about this beer that isn't 'great' about it is the color. It looks more like a weak pale ale than a 10% big IPA.

The smells coming out of this beer are great. Lots of amazing hops with a tad of malt. I like to compare this to Dogfish Head 90 minute because it has a similar mouth feel but the hop aroma and taste are much different. A tad more bitter than the 90 minute.

The taste doesn't match the smell exactly, but still has a very nice unique hop taste. Unlike other Double IPAs I've had. It is not a hop bomb, to me it seems like they are more going for balance.

Overall, it's very good, but being priced higher than DFH 90 minute is a problem. This is a local beer where I'm from as well, so hard to understand why it's $0.50 - $1.00 more than a 4 pack of 90 minute.

3.23/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance – This is a nice, murky, orange in color with a modest head.

Smell – The malts are sickly sweet at the nose with some rich caramel mixed with stiff orange rind and light pine. The hops are actually pretty substantial here but they are dwarfed by the sweetish malts and easy to overlook.

Taste – The monster sugary malt hits hard at the taste. I get some cane sugar now with enough sweetness to cause a “sour face.” The “three Cs” are out in force here as well.

Mouthfeel – This is huge, almost full-bodied, with some bittering that would be harsh but again with the sugars it’s all evened out. Carbonation is wanting, however.

Drinkability – I didn’t care much for this beer but for different reasons than most of the other reviews. Everyone is complaining about the sweetness, but this is a local preference so I wasn’t bothered much by the huge sugars. The lack of bitterness and carbonation was the problem for me. Obviously you don’t want your DIPA bubbling like Alka-Seltzer, but this was almost flat and for all the hops lacked that bitter aftertaste characteristic of more sophisticated efforts at the style.

3.25/5  rDev +9.4%

2.95/5  rDev -0.7%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #46 (Nov 2010):

The head reaches high off a moderate pour; retention is great as well, as is the pale amber clarity of the brew. Pungent, hoppy nose meets a big twang of estery alcohol. Smooth, creamy and a little bitty. The alcohol and hop pro- files are a one-two punch to the palate. Some toasted grain comes through, but the sweet fruity and peppery alcohol esters push it aside. Hop bitterness is a little pungent with a thick, leafy, herbal tone that casts some citric and mint on the taste buds. Esters and a veggie-like hop cling on and make the beer a bit of a chore to drink. Not half bad.

4.03/5  rDev +35.7%

I'm not sure about the negative reviews here. I thought this beer was very good. Very nice balance of taste and smell. It leaves a nice hoppy smooth aftertaste. I like a little bit of alcohol bite and this has that. Of course it doesn't compare to a Dogfish Head 120, but what does? Definitely worth a try. I would buy again and again.

My review is a nice smooth IPA which is easy to drink and would match well with any meal or any occasion.

3.25/5  rDev +9.4%

2.5/5  rDev -15.8%

3.75/5  rDev +26.3%

3.7/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance - This beer is average in carbonation and somewhat light for a typical IPA. It is clear with minimal to no head.

Smell - It has an overall sweet smell with minimal hop aroma. The degree of hops is less than I was expecting.

Taste - This is a sweet IPA that has a little hops flavor. It seems to be more pale ale and less india to me, however I do like it. It is good for being 10% alcohol.

Mouthfeel - This is a light IPA with a smooth consistency.

Overall - This is a good beer overall, but I have had better. I would rank it as an average IPA, and it is quite strong. A feature that I like! I am from Florida and will support this beer. However I have heard that the Florida bigfoot is know as a skunk ape, not swamp ape. Bottoms up!

4.25/5  rDev +43.1%

2.5/5  rDev -15.8%

1.27/5  rDev -57.2%

Brought some of this back from Florida after visiting the 'rents a week ago.

I've had two out of the four bottles I brought home with me and have been trying to put my finger on the taste...

It pours a light amber, very clear. The smell is sickeningly sweet like a cheap High Gravity Ale with a big malt wiff on the tail end... I smell no hops.

It tastes like it smells... it tastes almost exactly like Hurricane HGA. It's honestly gross.

It will howecer get you buzzed after 1 bottle. But there are cheaper ways of doing that, honestly. Steer clear. Blech

Edit: I should add that Papa Lutter says its much better on draft... for what its worth.

3.75/5  rDev +26.3%