Swamp Ape IPA - Florida Beer Company

Swamp Ape IPASwamp Ape IPA

poor

Florida Beer Company visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: CampusCrew on 09-05-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Swamp Ape IPA Alström Bros

4.95/5  rDev +66.1%

I am from Cleveland and recently just moved to Florida. Although many local Cleveland and midwest brewerys I hold dear to my heart, I have decided to move on and explore other great southern brew. The Swamp Ape IPA is a really tasty Florida IPA that isn't too hoppy with a variety of flavorful hops this malty tasting beer is also very strong so watch out how many you consume. Overall a great craft brew.

4.75/5  rDev +59.4%

4.72/5  rDev +58.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I pretty much drink only IPAs, mostly doubles. My two go-to brews are Dogfish Head 90 Minute and Stoudt's Double IPA. I also like HE'BREW Lenny's Bittersweet, which has some malt balance. All these beers are around the A range on beeradvocate.com.

I don't understand why Swamp Ape gets a C. It's a way groovy drink! Lotsa hops. Some malt, to give it that wonderful bittersweet feel. Maybe some BeerAdvocate people blame Florida for the current state of our nation. Or perhaps the IPA people just like pure hops, to burn their tongue. Whatever. In my opinion, Swamp Ape is a great brew!

BTW, this is my first review. I typically agree with the ratings, so I don't bother to add to them. But this one seems unfair. So it got me to play.

4.56/5  rDev +53%

4.5/5  rDev +51%

Now this is an ass kicking beer! I got a 4 pack on a recent trip to Florida, and was impressed. Goes down easy, great tasting, and packs a wallop without too much of the alcohol burn. I really enjoy this Ape, and was ready to visit the swamp he hailed from after having 3 of these babies!

4.39/5  rDev +47.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Big hippy flavor. Complex, with a bite.

4.35/5  rDev +46%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Single in a mixed fourpack from Knightly's Spirits in Orlando.

This was the favorite out of ten I tried while in Florida over the weekend. Usually I don't care for banana flavor in anything other than a banana, but this had just enough hint of it along with a lot of great caramel malt flavor and alcohol zing to create an exceptional taste with superior sippability.

Puzzled by the many scathing reviews here. I thought it was one of the best DIPAs I have had.

4.3/5  rDev +44.3%

4.28/5  rDev +43.6%

4.2/5  rDev +40.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I discovered this one tonight on a trip to Orlando. What a pleasant surprise in an area where it can be difficult to find great craft ale.

This is a malty, hoppy booze bomb with some fruity tones. It's called a DIPA, but I would classify it as a good barleywine. It was served in a large snifter, and gets more interesting as it warms up.

I think it's comparable to the flagship DIPA's/BW's offered by some of the superior east coast craft brewers. Check it out!

4.2/5  rDev +40.9%