Swamp Ape IPA - Florida Beer Company

Swamp Ape IPASwamp Ape IPA

poor

Florida Beer Company visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: CampusCrew on 09-05-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Swamp Ape IPA Alström Bros

1.27/5  rDev -57.2%

Brought some of this back from Florida after visiting the 'rents a week ago.

I've had two out of the four bottles I brought home with me and have been trying to put my finger on the taste...

It pours a light amber, very clear. The smell is sickeningly sweet like a cheap High Gravity Ale with a big malt wiff on the tail end... I smell no hops.

It tastes like it smells... it tastes almost exactly like Hurricane HGA. It's honestly gross.

It will howecer get you buzzed after 1 bottle. But there are cheaper ways of doing that, honestly. Steer clear. Blech

Edit: I should add that Papa Lutter says its much better on draft... for what its worth.

1.35/5  rDev -54.5%

A - Pours a murky orange, copper color with a white one finger head. (By far the best thing about this beer)

S - Vegetable aroma with a slight hint of caramel.

T - Very sweet for a DIPA. The best way to describe the taste is a combination of alcohol, carrots and vomit.

M - Mouthfeel has a certain creaminess. Sweetness is big and has a sticky feeling.

O - I am not a fan. I will not be asking my brother to send this from Florida again nor will I recommend anyone drink this. I ended up drain pouring the remaining 3/4 of the glass. What a disappointment for my first review.

1.48/5  rDev -50.2%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium globe.

A- Dark, yet shining orange. Barely off white head, but not much.

S- Tons of hops. Very sweet. Some alcohol clearly present. The combination of these reminds me of over ripe oranges that have fallen off the tree and began to ferment. I'm from Florida, what can I say. The hops you'd expect are certainly present, just overpowered by the sweetness.

T- Holy shit. I've only known one person who has had this beer, and they told me it was a little sweet. It's a little sweet like Liberace was a little gay, or Sofia Vergara is a little hot. That's to say it's very, very sweet. This is a very hoppy beer, but the sugary sweetness pushes it all back.

M- On the heavy side of medium, but honestly, the sweetness makes it impossible to appreciate.

O- I hate to pile on with the bad reviews, but this beer is a wreck. I hate to drain pour beers, and probably won't the last half of this, but I am considering it.

1.5/5  rDev -49.5%

Grabbed a 4 pack of this while in Tampa on a hot day full of packing a u haul. I needed a refreshing hit from an ipa and figured this was worth a try. I was wrong.

This poured like any other ipa, a dark gold with egg shell lacing and didn't smell too bad, just a little malty. All signs point toward at least an average experience but the taste was far less than acceptable. I imagined an actual swamp ape locked in a cage somewhere running on a treadmill and some dudes in lab coats siphoning off its sweat only to bottle and sell it to unsuspecting victims at the liquor store, me being one of them.

If you come across this run away like its the plague! It's nothing short of vile and disturbingly yucky. The taste is so bad I can't with good conscience rate this any higher than a 1 overall.

Rec'd this for trade.
I always keep an open mind with new beers and regions.
Unfortunately, this one disappointed.
Smell was not recognizable, with taste being hot and full of sugar and alcohol.
Maybe 20 years ago, this would have been extreme, but now its disappointing.

Ended up pouring out 3/4 of the glass, since there is no way I can go on after first two tastes.

This beer should be labeled barleywine without the barley.

Swamp Ape IPA from Florida Beer Company