Swamp Ape IPA - Florida Beer Company

Swamp Ape IPASwamp Ape IPA

Florida Beer Company visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: CampusCrew on 09-05-2010

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Swamp Ape IPA Alström Bros

God awful, tried it as an entrance to craft beer and almost turned me off completely. Now that I have tried other IPA's I know that it's just that this beer in particular is terrible and I shouldn't judge all IPA's off of it. Just a terrible beer, try for yourself if you wish but I would not recommend it.

1.26/5  rDev -56.4%

Brought some of this back from Florida after visiting the 'rents a week ago.

I've had two out of the four bottles I brought home with me and have been trying to put my finger on the taste...

It pours a light amber, very clear. The smell is sickeningly sweet like a cheap High Gravity Ale with a big malt wiff on the tail end... I smell no hops.

It tastes like it smells... it tastes almost exactly like Hurricane HGA. It's honestly gross.

It will howecer get you buzzed after 1 bottle. But there are cheaper ways of doing that, honestly. Steer clear. Blech

Edit: I should add that Papa Lutter says its much better on draft... for what its worth.

1.36/5  rDev -52.9%

This beer is not borderline un-drinkable, it is un-drinkable. Hoppy-ness is lacking and the alcohol dominates. One of the few times I've actually poured a beer out.

1.39/5  rDev -51.9%

A - Pours a murky orange, copper color with a white one finger head. (By far the best thing about this beer)

S - Vegetable aroma with a slight hint of caramel.

T - Very sweet for a DIPA. The best way to describe the taste is a combination of alcohol, carrots and vomit.

M - Mouthfeel has a certain creaminess. Sweetness is big and has a sticky feeling.

O - I am not a fan. I will not be asking my brother to send this from Florida again nor will I recommend anyone drink this. I ended up drain pouring the remaining 3/4 of the glass. What a disappointment for my first review.

1.54/5  rDev -46.7%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium globe.

A- Dark, yet shining orange. Barely off white head, but not much.

S- Tons of hops. Very sweet. Some alcohol clearly present. The combination of these reminds me of over ripe oranges that have fallen off the tree and began to ferment. I'm from Florida, what can I say. The hops you'd expect are certainly present, just overpowered by the sweetness.

T- Holy shit. I've only known one person who has had this beer, and they told me it was a little sweet. It's a little sweet like Liberace was a little gay, or Sofia Vergara is a little hot. That's to say it's very, very sweet. This is a very hoppy beer, but the sugary sweetness pushes it all back.

M- On the heavy side of medium, but honestly, the sweetness makes it impossible to appreciate.

O- I hate to pile on with the bad reviews, but this beer is a wreck. I hate to drain pour beers, and probably won't the last half of this, but I am considering it.

1.56/5  rDev -46%

Grabbed a 4 pack of this while in Tampa on a hot day full of packing a u haul. I needed a refreshing hit from an ipa and figured this was worth a try. I was wrong.

This poured like any other ipa, a dark gold with egg shell lacing and didn't smell too bad, just a little malty. All signs point toward at least an average experience but the taste was far less than acceptable. I imagined an actual swamp ape locked in a cage somewhere running on a treadmill and some dudes in lab coats siphoning off its sweat only to bottle and sell it to unsuspecting victims at the liquor store, me being one of them.

If you come across this run away like its the plague! It's nothing short of vile and disturbingly yucky. The taste is so bad I can't with good conscience rate this any higher than a 1 overall.

1.56/5  rDev -46%

Rec'd this for trade.
I always keep an open mind with new beers and regions.
Unfortunately, this one disappointed.
Smell was not recognizable, with taste being hot and full of sugar and alcohol.
Maybe 20 years ago, this would have been extreme, but now its disappointing.

Ended up pouring out 3/4 of the glass, since there is no way I can go on after first two tastes.

This beer should be labeled barleywine without the barley.

1.58/5  rDev -45.3%

more like ape piss than something worth drinking. i couldn't finish the bottle. as awful as a miller high life light i need to find someone i hate and give them a bottle of this. as good as jai alai is for florida's beer rep, this one sets it back. this must be florida's way of saying "stay away, tourist!".

1.71/5  rDev -40.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my trusty "Crab House" pint glass. Bought a 4 pack of this shit for $11 thinking it was something special.

I'm gonna skip the usual discussing each aspect and just give you my rant on this beer. I heard something about this brew and had made some sort of mental note that I may want to try it. Bought it and then when I got home realized it was from a brewer that makes some serious BS swill that they pass off as beer down here. They always come up with great names like "key west" this and "Ybor Gold" that. Then I remembered that I saw it as a guest tap at Cigar City of all places which is why I thought that it must be good to stand up next to their Jai Alai IPA.

Decided to try and be fair and judge this rationally, color looks good and clean, smells okay. Doesn't taste too good though. Slightly hoppy but there is some sort of syrup like shit overpowering the flavor.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through and it's starting to piss me off about the combo of shitty flavors, kind of like hoppy with apricot, grapefruit and some shitty maltodextrin syrup thrown in. Honestly, for anyone reading this (if anyone ever does) that is a member of BA, this brew is far beneath anything that should be served to someone who likes beer. I could serve this to my dad, who actually likes Busch Light, and no I'm not kidding, and he may like it or even turn his nose up at it.

I'm pouring the rest out. RUN RUN RUN from this beer and any other offering from this BS "brewer". Maybe they'll go out of business and some decent brewer can use their cool brew names to bring something drinkable to the market.

1.75/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Tastes fine on the front end, but the hops accumulate in your throat. By the time you finish the bottle, it's awful. Extra points for the cool label. 50 cent single from ABC.

1.83/5  rDev -36.7%

ugg, what is this liquid I just poured into my pint glass, supposedly a double ipa? Looks decent enough, the head fades fast though, and the smell is foreboding of the off taste as well as the abv. I don't even know quite how to make sense of it, starts with malty sweetness then delves into a lavender or herb like taste. This comes close to describing it but its some sort of spice that just doesn't belong, a bit of bitterness at the finish reminds you its beer your drinking. I've never had such an aversion to an ipa, it just tastes astoundingly bad. I don't think I can finish this glass by myself.... stay far away from this concoction....

1.84/5  rDev -36.3%

This beer was given to me by a friend who knew I was a beer geek and thought I would love it. I had seen it on the shelves but never got around to trying it myself.

It pours a nice orange color with a nice cream colored head. After that it's all down hill. The aromas are sweet and cloying. The flavor is overly sweet without being balanced by the hops. I also got a mineral aftertaste.

Being from Florida I had high hopes for this beer, but there is not much to love here.

1.86/5  rDev -35.6%

A - Pours a deep gold with about two inches of foam. Head retains well.

S - light and slightly smoky.

T - Tastes awful. Finishes like a wet sock. I will absolutely never try this again. It actually tastes like an ape in a swamp.

M - light and watery, with a horrible coating.

O - Undrinkable. Probably the worst beer I have ever had in my life.

1.94/5  rDev -32.9%

A: Copper in color, with a frothy head, Swamp Ape shows no lacing, and has a touch of haze.

S: I was expecting a burst of hops from this brew, but received bubblegum, creamed corn, and malty cacophony.

T: What should be a dry onslaught of hops, Swamp Ape is a sticky mess of the aforementioned creamed corn and bubblegum.

M: Body is full, carbonation is low, and the finish is quite sticky.

O: Absolutely terrible... avoid.

1.95/5  rDev -32.5%

Saw this one in the grocery store. The packaging got me as I was born and raised in Florida and I'm usually pretty optimistic about beers sold in 4-packs so I picked it up. Wish I could return it after one sip.

A - Pours a brilliant medium gold color with about an inch of head that dissipates at a fairly moderate pace and never seems to completely go away.

S - The malt definitely dominates the hops in the aroma as is usually characteristic of a double IPA. Unfortunately, that malt smell is masked by a strong scent of alcohol. The smell has me afraid to take my first sip.

T - The bitterness comes through first although it's not as much as you'd expect from a double IPA. Seeing as it comes in at a whopping 10% ABV should prove that this beer has some serious balance issues between the malt and the hops. The taste is not characteristic of the aroma as the hops seem to dominate the malt although slight notes of malt are lingering. Unfortunately, once again, this is all overwhelmed by a nagging alcohol flavor that makes this beer almost undrinkable.

M - Light to medium bodied with low to medium carbonation.

O - The alcohol aroma hints at the idea that this one should be aged. The alcohol flavor hints at the idea that this one should be aged. The 10% ABV hints at the idea that this one should be aged. Yet, I would not waste three square inches of cellar space to fit a bottle of Swamp Ape. This beer has some serious balance issues and if you're looking for a good IPA, avoid this one at all costs. Unless, of course, you enjoy the taste of alcohol with some added bitterness.

1.96/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I had this on tap at the Yard House in Palm Beach.

A: Poured a clear, fairly translucent golden color (a tinge of haze), with very little visible carbonation. It had about a 1/3 finger sticky white head.

S: Muted citrus, candy sugar +++. That's about it.

T: OMG! This tasted like formaldehyde! Additionally, the aftertaste was very boozy, sugar-infused (+++!), and with a tinge of skunky sourness. Not good...

M: Swirly lacing, but I honestly didn't give a shit since the taste was so bad. Low carbonation. Sugar bomz r' us in spades!

O: This was by far the worst beer I've tried so far in 2012.

Tried a sample of this last night. Glad that I didn't get a whole one as I didn't enjoy it very much. You can see what the brewery was going for here, but this one needs a lot of work. The aroma was decent, but the taste, IMO, left a lot to be desired. The hoppiness and crispness weren't all that present and the aftertaste and mouthfeel were disappointing.

This has a lot of potential, but currently falls short of the higher-level double/imperial IPAs. I can see the brewery improving this beer eventually, but it also is entirely possible that this will remain below-average.

A-Orange golden with minimal head
S-Floral with Citrus and Tropical fruits, Oranges
T-Brooze hit me right away followed by the sweetness, very off balanced. Does not taste like it smells. The hops were the last thing to hit me.
M-Medium bodied med carbonation smooth swallow
O-Glad I only bought a single. Can't remember the last time I poured a beer out but I had to drain pour this Ape back to the swamp it came from

2.03/5  rDev -29.8%

Thanks for the tick, Dan.

A: Pours a super light clear straw color with basically no head or lace.
S: I’m not getting very much hop aroma on the nose, and what hops do come through are pretty rotten smelling. I get what smells like burnt malt as well.
T: Watery booze. There is almost no flavor at all except some bitterness in the aftertaste, a touch of sweetness, and harsh booze. Hops are rank.
M: Body is on the thin side of medium, and the alcohol isn’t masked at all. Thin carbonation.
O: An atrocious dipa and an awful beer. Avoid the swamp-ass.

2.08/5  rDev -28%

Grabbed a 4-pk one day at Total Wine by mistake -- thought I had grabbed a 4-pk from Swamp *Head* to send in a locals mix. Still sent off 1 or 2 of these as a gag.

A - deep honey colored, with bubbles...past experience makes me think it's possibly beer.

S - smells like hooch, as in, Turner and...

T - burnt-sugary failure, with a hint of "citrus" air freshener

M - Not entirely unpleasant, with mild carbonation

D - Slash the price, package it a loud-colored can, and re-brand it as _Extreme Ape Sweat_; sell by the palette to freshmen.

2.1/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

For some reason. my wife brought me one of these home from Tampa. I would have preferred something from Cigar City, but so be it. This is a throw away beer for me. Why would I bother to drink this- at 10% yet- with so many good beers out there. It's overly sweet and grainy and with a chemical aftertaste, and raw alcohol comes through quite strongly. No thanks,

2.16/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured into a great divide yeti sniftrr glass

A - transparent copper color, small amount of white head that leaves some decent lacing, reminds me of a Brooklyn monster ale

S - smells a bit like it looks, a barleywine, booze, some vanilla, where are the hops, maybe catching some light earthy, grassy hops but the sweet caramel and alcohol are masking them

T - oh hey English barleywine, loads of malt that is pretty one dimensional, booze is riding high again, bitter and astringent aftertaste that has an element of hops to it

M - semi-thick, low carbonation

O - not an Imperial IPA, dont mind a boozy beer if there is flavor behind it like jw lees harvest, hops are lacking completely, had higher hopes but with so many other options in thus style I won't be buying this again

2.17/5  rDev -24.9%

Very bitter taste. Definitely has a bite to it. Very bitter after taste which lingers in the palet for a long time. Sounds crazy, but the after taste almost taste like something off the grill. As a Florida resident, had to give it a try. Not one of my faves.

2.22/5  rDev -23.2%

A: This poured a clear dark gold with moderate off white head.
S: It smelled like bready malt and some faint citrus hops.
T: It tasted like sugary sweet honey and bready malt, with a little apricot and copper hops. It had a cloying sweet aftertaste.
M: It was watery with some carbonation. Decent body.
D: This was a poor IPA. Maybe super fresh it was different, but this had no clean hop bitterness. The scent and taste were bad, and the body wasn't much better. The finish was harsh, so it wasn't that easy to drink. Not recommended.

2.23/5  rDev -22.8%

Number 2 on the 2013 spring break tour.

Tarnished gold body, a rapidly disappearing white head that turned into an oil slick immediately. Good clarity. No lace.

Strong pine aroma. Leans a little too much to cleanser than fresh forest.

Big front load of malt, sweet like a dopplebock. Very low key fruit. Abrasive, abusive bitterness. Not in a good way.

Too thick mouthfeel. Needs more carbonation. Again more bock than IPA.

A major disappointment of an IPA. Great name though.

Swamp Ape IPA from Florida Beer Company