Swamp Ape IPA - Florida Beer Company

Swamp Ape IPASwamp Ape IPA

poor

Florida Beer Company visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: CampusCrew on 09-05-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Swamp Ape IPA Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -7.7%

12oz bottle in a pint glass.

A- It poured an orange-copper color with a slightly unfiltered look. A 2-finger head , off-white in color, tapered to a film and left lots of lacing. Lively carbonation.

S- It has it all: clean hop aroma with lots of citrus and pine, some honey for sure and a bit of spice. Just a note of alcohol noticable with the malts.

T-Some pale and sweet malts, honey sweetness also. The citrus and pine hops are there but not prominent.

M- Big, full body and feel. Chewy, oily. There's a lingering hop finish that's not overly bitter.

O- Yummy. This is a flavor-first beer over the abv. Sure, it's sweet due to being 10% abv, but it transcends the sweetness to me. Dare I say that it compares to Hopslam? Yes!

I cannot believe that this beer is rated so low here on BA. It makes me wonder...

2.85/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12oz. bottle poured into a Flying Dog goblet

A: A quite cloudy copper color with a thick head that diminishes quickly and leaves a thin coating of tiny bubbles. The lacing is excellent though.

S: It is a mainly citrus smell that has something I can't quite place my finger on. It smells of overripe fruit. The smell is quite sweet.

T: It tastes of heavy and thick resin that coats your mouth. There are no citrus notes that I can detect. The taste is very straightforward and of a single note that is lacking in complexity. The resinous pine is very overpowering and all consuming.The aftertaste is that of pines and resin though, that clashes with the smell.

M: The mouthfeel is not my favorite, it is quite thick and viscous.

O: I'm not too sure of the date, but I am pretty sure it is quite fresh. It is decent but not too good either. The taste and mouthfeel are too heavy and thick.

2.25/5  rDev -24.5%

2.2/5  rDev -26.2%

Number 2 on the 2013 spring break tour.

Tarnished gold body, a rapidly disappearing white head that turned into an oil slick immediately. Good clarity. No lace.

Strong pine aroma. Leans a little too much to cleanser than fresh forest.

Big front load of malt, sweet like a dopplebock. Very low key fruit. Abrasive, abusive bitterness. Not in a good way.

Too thick mouthfeel. Needs more carbonation. Again more bock than IPA.

A major disappointment of an IPA. Great name though.

2.68/5  rDev -10.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a nice head that leaves several strands of lace

Smell: Smells like a barley lollypop with a bitter edge

Taste: Candy-sweet on the front end with a growing bitterness that builds both before and after the swallow; no citrus or pine - just bitterness; the finish, however, has a lot of residual sweetness; overall, a boozy mess

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation; a bit slick with a lot of warmth in the gullet

Overall: Recent reviews being more encouraging about this beer, I wanted to see what the fuss was about and after two or three sips I have made my determination and am done; no need to ever come back to this again

4.5/5  rDev +51%

Now this is an ass kicking beer! I got a 4 pack on a recent trip to Florida, and was impressed. Goes down easy, great tasting, and packs a wallop without too much of the alcohol burn. I really enjoy this Ape, and was ready to visit the swamp he hailed from after having 3 of these babies!

3.6/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the bottle.

Look: It creates a one finger head that quickly disappears. The lacing is great, and almost spot on. The beer itself is a orange amber. Mine was crystal clear.

Smell: A very powerful aroma. I can't pick up anything specific though. I loved the smell, but I just couldn't identify anything in it. It was a weird experience. Normally I can pick up something, especially with something so powerful, but I just couldn't identify one particular note. I was tempted to see what others thought, but left it "as is" for now.

Taste: It has that signature "imperial" taste, but does a decent job of covering up the ABV. The balance needs a bit of work, I could use a bit more malt on the back end for me personally, but it's almost right. I'm getting something sweet at the end. It makes for an interesting combo, although I'm not sure I personally dig it.

Feel: Pretty well balanced. A bit slick, but the carbonation kicks in and makes it a light drink at the the right moment. I think I'd prefer a slightly lighter drink at the end. But otherwise a good enough IPA.

Overall: I don't seem to dislike it as much as other BAs, but it has a bit of wiggle room for improvement. A decent beer though that I'll revisit just to support the home team. I'm glad a friend and I swapped some beers so I could try this one. A good beer for an awesome style. I'll revisit in the future.

3.5/5  rDev +17.4%

3.83/5  rDev +28.5%

I gotta say I was surprised by the negative reviews when I visited BeerAdvocate because usually my taste buds are spot on with the majority of BeerAdvocate users.

I'm originally from SoCal, so the higher the ABV and the more bitter the better. And I gotta say this is my favorite Florida brew.

The color is a nice cloudy orange, nothing too out of the ordinary.

The nose is lacking somewhat, you expect it too be a flop immediately out of the gate.

The taste though I love. It has a great silky texture that compliments the bitter after taste. Could use a bit more of the roasted malt up front but still a pleasant light front. It is more chewy than the other Florida beers I have had, which is probably why I like it. The back end is a typical ipa with not too complicated flavors, a little citrus, a little pine. But enough to balance with the high ABV.

The finish is not dry at all, leaves your palate coated with a nice array of hop flavors. The flavor stays in your mouth for a while.

I enjoyed this beer very much. I have no idea how long its been in the keg at HopJacks, and the east coast isn't too friendly to DIPAs so it may have had some time to mature. But all and all I thought it was a solid brew.

2.13/5  rDev -28.5%

Very bitter taste. Definitely has a bite to it. Very bitter after taste which lingers in the palet for a long time. Sounds crazy, but the after taste almost taste like something off the grill. As a Florida resident, had to give it a try. Not one of my faves.

2.75/5  rDev -7.7%