Swamp Ape IPA - Florida Beer Company

poor

Florida Beer Company visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: CampusCrew on 09-05-2010

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Swamp Ape IPA Alström Bros
3.79/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

The color is a somewhat accurate depiction of what I've come to expect from a DIPA. Light copper and amber hue. The head is almost non-existent, though I wouldn't expect much from the 10%. Minimal lacing. The body is spot-on for me. Great mouthfeel.

Plenty of hops are present in this one. Quite a bit going on there that I can quite put my finger on. Reminds me of a homebrew I made when I went a bit crazy with different kinds of hops. The Amarillo and Centennial are noticeable, and there are some fruity, slightly boozy effects on the finish. Not overly bitter though, as there's enough sweetness to smooth things over.

I was eager to try this local brew, as I've sampled other from the Florida Beer Company in the past, and I'm a fan of the style (DIPA). I've since kept my garage fridge stocked with a 4-pack of this stuff most of the time. Overall, very drinkable. I thoroughly enjoy it. Not sure why it doesn't score higher. Different strokes, I suppose...

Update 10/25/2013:
After purchasing by the case and by the 4-pack here and there and sampling further, I can offer some additional info on this. I can now say that there is indeed some inconsistency in the profiles of this beer between batches. It's strange, but I can go from one batch to the next and it tastes different. I actually ended up with one case I can only describe as slightly "brackish", which has been rather unpleasant. I have also lowered my overall impression of this beer, as consistency is key to the production of any brew, and have been somewhat disappointed on occasion. Strange.

4.25/5  rDev +43.1%

1.75/5  rDev -41.1%

4.75/5  rDev +59.9%

2.78/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

I poured this bottle of Swamp Ape into a tulip style glass. I received about two fingers of foam from the initial pour that didn't take long to die down. The lacing is decent from the halo of foam remaining. The coloring on this one is a vibrant orange.

The nose on this one has some flowery hops. I also pick up some minimal citrus hopping.

The flavoring on this one is really metallic. The feel on this one is pretty unpleasant. I have to make this one a "sink-pour."

3.25/5  rDev +9.4%

2.29/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours amber, semi hazy, with a tightly knit slightly off white head that has fair retention and left a few spots of lace.

S-Earthy, grassy hops are there, but somewhat tame. Hints of bready malt are there along with an off putting astringency that is very distracting.

T-Hmm, there is something wrong here. A sour, medicinal flavor overwhelms everything here and the longer I drink this the worse it gets. I can pick up the earthy, grassy hops from the nose along with the bready malt back but they are both overwhelmed by the unpleasant medicinal flavor. Not good.

M-Medium body and carbonation, slightly slick but finishes dry.

O-This one was tough to finish. And I love DIPAs. I soldiered through to the end in an attempt to give this beer a fair shot, but it never got better. If anything it got worse as I went along.
There is no way I would buy this again.

3.75/5  rDev +26.3%

2.71/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

First had: bottle at Riverside Market Cafe, Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Copper colored pour, clear, with a thin white cap that mostly dissipated, leaving a bit of lacing on the glass. Aroma was pretty strange, sweet malts, caramel apple, overripe melons, not much in the way of fresh hops. The taste reflected the nose. There was something off here. There was a bit of piney hop bitterness, but it hovered in the background, never really coming out as it should (considering it's supposed to be an IPA), caramel malts and more overripe fruit sweetness, with a bit of booze, though no real heat was felt from the higher ABV level. About medium in body, awkward and sticky, not undrinkable, but not really what I'm looking for in any kind of IPA.

2.5/5  rDev -15.8%

2.5/5  rDev -15.8%

3.26/5  rDev +9.8%

Lightly chilled bottle into a stemless tulip pint. No decipherable bottling date.

Look- Medium amber with three fingers of pillowy head the color of ripe banana flesh. Good retention, well-developed lace despite the ABV.

Smell- Lemon-mango, floral and bready malt in the background. Sweet. Vaguely pear-like.

Taste- Hrm. Sweet, light toffee, mango and mandarin orange appear but fade quickly. Spike of booziness followed by a mild coconut and roasted marshmallow flavor that lingers for a while before rolling into honeyed tea. Aftertaste is herbal, minty. Not particularly bitter, medium to low perceived bitterness for the style. Nutty flavor comes and goes.

Mouthfeel- Chewy, low carbonation. Surprisingly clean finish, mild alcohol warming. A big beer, but easy drinking for 10% ABV.

Overall- Not bad, but not as flavorful as I'd expect from an DIPA. It doesn't appear to be marketed as such, however.... passable as standard IPA, if on the heavy side and boozy. Either way, it's fine but I probably wouldn't seek it out again.

2.75/5  rDev -7.4%