Swamp Ape IPA - Florida Beer Company

poor

poor

Florida Beer Company visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: CampusCrew on 09-05-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Swamp Ape IPA Alström Bros

PaterIovisLII, Feb 21, 2012

edfinn, Feb 07, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +51.5%

Screper, Feb 06, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a golden orange with little foamy white head from the bottle.

Smell is bitter and citrus.

Taste is burnt orange. Yeah, sorta gross. It's bitter and unsmooth. Hops are overpowered by bitters.

Overall, a decent IPA especially considering the region.

devinoconnor, Feb 05, 2012

djtomain, Feb 04, 2012

enginero, Jan 27, 2012

dandmc24, Jan 26, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -4.7%

A: Golden orange with nice head and lacing.

S: Not much to it, but a faint spicy citrus

T: Ashy, malty (very malty for an IPA), biscuit, very slight citrus, fairly heavy alcohol towards the end. Not very desirable and especially not what I would expect from an IPA.

M: I actually liked the mouthfeel very much. Thick, frothy, and silky.

O: This ape needs to evolve a little more before I can even come close to recommending it. As a Florida native, I wanted another beer that I could rep! But it's just not the case....and it was expensive, too! $2.99 for a single bottle at Total Wine. Stick to Cigar City, for now...

nofearbeerishere, Jan 22, 2012
1.9/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I had this on tap at the Yard House in Palm Beach.

A: Poured a clear, fairly translucent golden color (a tinge of haze), with very little visible carbonation. It had about a 1/3 finger sticky white head.

S: Muted citrus, candy sugar +++. That's about it.

T: OMG! This tasted like formaldehyde! Additionally, the aftertaste was very boozy, sugar-infused (+++!), and with a tinge of skunky sourness. Not good...

M: Swirly lacing, but I honestly didn't give a shit since the taste was so bad. Low carbonation. Sugar bomz r' us in spades!

O: This was by far the worst beer I've tried so far in 2012.

Chaney, Jan 20, 2012

whartontallboy, Jan 01, 2012

Jamstone714, Dec 30, 2011

bluetrevian, Dec 25, 2011
2.35/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured a dark amber color witha foamy head. Smell has some hops, but strong sort of rusty overtones. When just out of the fridge, the taste is worse. Like rusty water with some hop sting in tghe back. Not good. When it warms, the hops take over more and the rust sort of recedes, making it at least drinkable. Mouthfeel? who cares when the taste is wrong. I won't make that mistake again.

BeTheBall, Dec 22, 2011

CGMLS3, Dec 21, 2011
3.7/5  rDev +24.6%

Appearance - This beer is average in carbonation and somewhat light for a typical IPA. It is clear with minimal to no head.

Smell - It has an overall sweet smell with minimal hop aroma. The degree of hops is less than I was expecting.

Taste - This is a sweet IPA that has a little hops flavor. It seems to be more pale ale and less india to me, however I do like it. It is good for being 10% alcohol.

Mouthfeel - This is a light IPA with a smooth consistency.

Overall - This is a good beer overall, but I have had better. I would rank it as an average IPA, and it is quite strong. A feature that I like! I am from Florida and will support this beer. However I have heard that the Florida bigfoot is know as a skunk ape, not swamp ape. Bottoms up!

Beer21, Dec 13, 2011

Bogforce, Dec 07, 2011

TrickkyGangsta, Dec 05, 2011
1.8/5  rDev -39.4%

This beer was given to me by a friend who knew I was a beer geek and thought I would love it. I had seen it on the shelves but never got around to trying it myself.

It pours a nice orange color with a nice cream colored head. After that it's all down hill. The aromas are sweet and cloying. The flavor is overly sweet without being balanced by the hops. I also got a mineral aftertaste.

Being from Florida I had high hopes for this beer, but there is not much to love here.

srhoadsy, Dec 04, 2011
3.1/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a 12 ounce mug

Appearance: This pours a nice rich copper amber color with a small yet noticeable head that leave some nice faint lacing down the glass. Decent clarity.

Smell: The smell is not overpowering at all. As the label reads its an IPA and really what i was looking for in an IPA. The aroma is crisp and refreshing with lemony spicy floral notes.

Taste: The taste is very very sweet and not up to my standards. i also did not realize that this was a DIPA and 10% abv! this really hides the alcohol but the sweetness sucks.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel although sticky and overly sweet is not harsh at all in terms of alcohol bite. NIce feel to it, drinks like a lower abv beer but sweet beer.

Overall this is a ok beer. i really didn't expect the flavor off of the aroma but i guess it is what it is. Really misleading label.

Augustiner719, Nov 30, 2011
1.75/5  rDev -41.1%

A - Pours a deep gold with about two inches of foam. Head retains well.

S - light and slightly smoky.

T - Tastes awful. Finishes like a wet sock. I will absolutely never try this again. It actually tastes like an ape in a swamp.

M - light and watery, with a horrible coating.

O - Undrinkable. Probably the worst beer I have ever had in my life.

Jammies, Nov 26, 2011