Mayflower Porter - Mayflower Brewing Company

Mayflower PorterMayflower Porter

Mayflower Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Porter |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: DrDogbeer on 03-28-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mayflower Porter Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

great head with staying power. deep tan

nice roasted nose but subtle with chocolate notes.

taste is spot on. roasty malts, light chocolate dry light astringency in dark malts. nice hops that balance out this beer. as said in many reviews it is not overdone but to me done with perfection. yes, straight forward porter that i could quaff many off.

love this style and love this one.

OatmattStout, Dec 05, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

A- Black with a light mocha cap that has decent retention. A ring leaves legs and some fine lace.

S- Mostly malty lending good roast, cocoa and coffee notes. Some caramel mixed in there in a nose of decent overall strength. A bit of dark fruit in there.

T- Follows the nose but the dark fruit comes a little bit more in the beginning. The finish is nice and roasty with coffee notes and just a bit of hops.

MF- Light body that is just a tiny bit watery. The carbonation is at an appropriate level, moderate-high. A nice roasty bitterness in the finish.

DB- A good porter with a very nice roast malt feel. An example of the style that I think anyone who likes roast characters in beer would enjoy.

cbutova, Nov 24, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -19.7%

Bottle. Pours a dark brown color with a nice light tan head that quickly settles to form a nice collar around the glass. The aroma is light roast coffee, dark chocolate, and leather. Medium mouthfeel. A balanaced taste between the roast coffee flavors and the sweetness from the dark chocolate notes. Slight leather with a hint of smoke as well. Slight bitterness lingers on. To me this is slightly bland upfront. Easy drinking though.

kbutler1, Nov 07, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz bottle poured into a Guinness Imperial pint.

A: Black with some ruby hues. One inch tan head dissipates quickly, but a light swirling of the glass will rejuvenate it. Light, spotty lacing sticks to the glass.

S: Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malt. A bit of plum-like darkfruit. Hints of tobacco and a soft leathery smell.

T: Chocolate and coffee arrive on the tongue first, followed by some plum-like darkfruit with a slight tart edge. Faint notes of vanilla extract come out as the beer warms. Finishes a little dry with some dark chocolate and a robust woody/tobacco-like roastiness that lingers forever.

M: On the lighter side of moderate. Ample carbonation adds crispness. Smooth.

D: Very drinkable.

Notes: This is a very solid porter. I was blown away when I first tried it, and now it has become an old familiar friend. I probably buy more of this than any other beer on the market. That's saying a lot, being that I'm a promiscuous drinker by nature. This is one one of the better porters out there, and very well crafted. It flies off the shelves here, so I always make it a point to grab some when I see it.

ryan1788a5, Nov 05, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -0.5%

A deep brown, opaque with tan hues on the edge. A nice head with good lacing. The nose has brown bread, molasses and a touch of chocolate. A very complex taste follows, brown breads, chocolate, molasses, some slightly roasted nuts, a touch of acrid bitterness and some sweetness. A very smooth and creamy with a good carbonation. A very drinkable beer worth a session.

nas5755, Oct 31, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -9.4%

poured from the bottle to a dogfish head signature glass an espresso roast black with a short lasting 1/2 finger mocha head.

roasty aroma of dark fruits, dark dark chocolate and rich dark espresso.

mildy bittersweet espresso forward, followed by a nice nutty after. a bit of chocolate and sweet dates as the glass warms.

higher carbonation than expected, a little distracting actually, more sweet than bitter.

drinkable - yes.

robwestcott, Oct 26, 2010

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. Black with some light brown tint. Aromas of smoke roasted grains. Hints of of earthy notes as well. Starts of with a burst of burnt almonds. Plum and raisin also dominate the palate. Finishes off quite smooth with lingiring smoke after taste. Well done porter.

emagana, Oct 15, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to Jayli for this one.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost espresso color with 2 full fingers of creamy tan head. Small ring of head stays with small spots of lace.

S: Roasted malts, coffee, and chocolate. Robust and sweet. Roasted oats and malts upfront with coffee tones throughout and finishes with the sweetness of chocolate and maybe some toffee.

T: Bitter coffee and chocolate upfront. Full roast flavor throughout. Sweet and bitter are well balanced here.

M: Above average in body and moderate carbonation. Thick and creamy going down.

D: Excellent beer. This one has got me wanting to revisit this style as the weather cools off.

kirkpjr, Oct 13, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Vol. II Issue X:

We wish the world brewed more straight-up Porters.

Pours a dark, opaque brown topped with a tan lace. Aroma is slightly acrid with fresh toasty brown breads and suggestions of bitter chocolate and molasses. Fairly light bodied, but firm and even. Creamy on the palate. An underlying dryness sets the foundation. Semi-sharp acrid character with a quelling layer of sweetness on top. Notes of molasses, faint caramel, earth, dry chocolate, chicory, dark breads and slightly burnt edges. Pithy and peaty. Light citric hop bite with some grass. Finishes mildly abrasive with a drying linger and hint of smoke.

Quite possibly a perfect Porter, by modern-day standards. What we dig about Mayflower's version is that it leans toward the English style, which tends to be more balanced, well-attenuated and sessionable. Delicious!

BeerAdvocate, Sep 20, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

A 12 oz. bottle, 'PKG 05/27/10'. Into the pint glass ...glug ...glug ...glug. Another one to thank charliedvrs for...

A: Impenetrable ebony at the core, garnet/ruby fringes. An ever-present khaki cream crown builds to a finger or so, fades lumpily. Sticky lace in wavy bands.

S: Robust chocolate nose. Malt, luscious sweetness.

T:Chocolate roast and light coffee. Darkened nuts and a cutting earthiness that leads to a lasting bitterness. The gentlest tang of oxidation augments rather than detracts. Good hop presence, plenty of spice.

M: A prickly greeting chased away by a mellower cream then an ash-dry bitterness. Mild grainy grit coats.

D: Superbly drinkable, as in 'gone too quickly'. Rich and savory, it's a porter I'd absolutely seek out again. Excellent example of the style.

msubulldog25, Sep 04, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

The beer pours a dark brown/black color with a thick frothy tan head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a dry, roasted malt scent along with some excellent crystal/chocolate malt notes. The taste is great! It has a very enjoyable black and chocolate malt flavor. It has a nice roasted feel with a balanced flavor that boasts of crystal and chocolate malts. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is a tremendous porter. It's full of character; a fine session ale.

WesWes, Sep 03, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +16.3%

Served in a Mayflower Nonic at 55 degrees.

Pours a deep ruby brown color with a thick tan head with good retention. Strong smells of roasted malt, smoke, and chocolate notes. Bitter hop taste noticable coupled with dark roasty malts with some coffee notes. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel with limited carbination. An excellent and unique porter on par with Fullers.

MA08, Aug 27, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

Imagine you've come ashore with the Pilgrims. A grinning Myles Standish, decked in glistening armor that seems to give regality to his smaller frame, asks you:

"Do you like roasted malts?"

Surprised by the question, you sheepishly reply 'Why, yes'. Before you finish your next thought, Standish has grabbed you by the back of the head and is holding you down in a barrell of roasted malts, drowning you in them.

"How do you like them now?", he responds to your muffled cries.

First, don't get me wrong - this is a good beer. Almost great, in fact. It's well-made, but after trying many more 'complex' beers recently, the dominance of the roasted malts was not it's most positive trait.

A- This is a deep brown porter - unless I'm drinking this out of a glass straw, I'm not seeing anything but the deepest of browns. No head to speak of.

S- Expresso and chocolate, but this is no Mocha - it smells like invigoration.

T- Welcome to Roasted Malt Mountain! Get through the first few sips, and you'll actually like it (almost a form of Stockholm Syndrome). Let your system adjust; but don't look too hard for hops, their contribution was minimal.

M- On the heavy side of medium-bodied, but drinkable.

This beer finishes well - much more beautifully than it begins. Every fortnight I get the 'malt shakes' - when this happens again, this will probably be the beer I pick up.

rsgcwhite, Aug 20, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +0.2%

Picked up a sixer for $10.99... kinda expensive.

Appearance: nothing special here, looks good for a porter. not a whole lot of head, but good retention.

Smell: smells toasted, some bittersweet cocoa but the toasted malts dominate. Little bit of hop smell comes through as well.

Taste: Good blend of the three smells upfront then the aftertaste is a very pleasant roasted flavor. Satisfying to say the least.

Mouth: Carbonated but not annoyingly so. Does not feel heavy by any means.

Drink: Going off of the mouthfeel, it strikes a great balance between feeling on the light side for porters and being very satisfying. I drank three and was very content. I could have had another and still enjoyed it very much.

Overall a very good beer, probably won't buy it again exclusively because of the high price though.

aquaphiliac, Aug 18, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -2.2%

A - A deep brown with a slight hint of ruby. A very small head that left a very small amount of lacing around the glass.

S - Lots of strong aroma's going on. There is a pretty intense roasted coffee scent up front that does not overpower the chocolate and caramel notes as well. I also thought I detected the hint of dried dark fruits.

T - Strong Roasted malt taste up front. A nice blending of roasted and dark chocolate character. Mildly hoppy and very well balanced.

M - Medium bodied with a little more carbonation that usual. I had no problem throwing back a few of these.

D - An excellent porter. It's right up there with Fuller's as one of my favorites. Mayflower continue to deliver quality stuff.

skullsplitter, Aug 18, 2010

A-Dark dark brown, tan head.

S-Creamy and roasty. Barley. Smokey.

T-Nice chocolate touch. Follows the nose with the roasty coffe. Carbonation adds to the taste. A bit of smoke. Mild hops.

M-Creamy yet carbonated.

D-Not its strongest point but for the style quite drinkable.

Big Mayflower fan. Good brew.

VelvetExtract, Aug 18, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to BA bring for the chance to try this one.

12oz brown bottle with a package date of 5/27/10. Poured into a Sam Adam's sensory glass, this brew appears a dark brown color with some ruby red clarity when held up to the light. More than a finger of darkly tanned head appears and holds on to top of the brew with good retension. A little bit of patchy lace clings to the glassware.

The aroma of this beer is fantastic. A wonderful smell of roasty malt and darkly kilned fresh grain is emitted from this beer coming across a bit like coffee. Slight touch of citrus hops in the back of the nose are evident as well.

Taste is lightly bitter upfront with a flavor of fresh dark roasty grains and a little bit of hoppy bitterness is included as well with a slight taste of citrus throughout the dark roasty character. Long lingering aftertaste of dark roasty malt a bit like coffee and a touch of must. Through the medium to light body is some light sourness that accents the dark malt character of the brew making it seem almost a bit sweet at times. Modestly carbonated with a prickly feel, this is quite drinkable.

I have been avoiding porters with the heat of summer lately and found this offering to be very enjoyable. Very solid example, I would drink this again if given the chance.

stakem, Aug 06, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -22.5%

Fourth in my series of blind beers. Thanks go out to Prufrock! 12 ounce bottle poured into a brandy snifter.

Vision
This one generated the suds much easier than last night. A simple, responsible pour gave me half a finger of head. The color is hard for me to describe. I see deep within its core the browns that i am used to seeing in other beers of this style. However, the predominate shade is white. It reminds me of white undershirts that an individual has used for three years with no bleach treatment. Eventually they are just dingy with brown tones. A slight skin of head remains fizzling away after a few minutes of rest. I am happy to report that it is characteristically jet black. One would think without the ability to shine light into this beverage I wouldn't be able to comment on the carbonation, however that is untrue. The center of this beverage has a layer of head that is constantly frothing up allowing me to see how thick the column of bubbles is within the center. Quite a bit of carbonation, which shocks me.

Bouquet
I'm spoiled. I knew it was going to happen, but last night's beer changed me. I think I'll be looking for as complex a brew for the next few weeks. Alas, this is a one noter. Strong, burnt grains. Not smoky, just charred. It reminds me of aromas I have caused in my own kitchen. It doesn't get any fainter or any stronger. No matter how I try to smell this, its a simple aroma.

Flavor Profile
It eluded me in the nose, but the first cursory sip gives me the smokiness I was smelling for. It rides in the backseat of this sip, leaving the entire front seat for roasted grains and burnt crescendos. The finish on the first sip is metal. I thought at first I bit my tongue and had some blood somewhere in my mouth, but alas it occurs on every follow-up sip.

I try different tasting techniques and methods to try and weasel something else out. Unfortunately its as simple as a Halloween costume. Smoky cape, burnt grain tunic, and iron/copper boots to stomp all over where it has been.

Oral Sensations
Sometimes a beer walks a fine line of having the right body. It just crosses that point where it satisfies you. This beer saw that finish line and tripped a few strides before it got there. Its watery enough that I'm upset with it. However, this watery nature lends it a certain amount of smoothness. It goes down well enough without sticking around too long. Perhaps I shouldn't be too upset. If this smoky flavor never left, I probably would be even more annoyed.

I mentioned carbonation before, and I definitely will mention it now. If all I took were sips that instantly went down the hatch I'd never notice how fizzy this can be. Just letting it sit longer than one second causes me to feel the bubbles tickling my cheeks, tongue, and soft palate. I've never been a fan of carbonation, and with this beer already as is I put this down as a negative point.

Conclusions
I am happy to try this beer. Everything deserves a chance and this beer is miles above some trash I've slurped down in my day. However, I will not be looking for this beer again. I will not order this beer if I find it on draft out and about ( maybe I'll sip it a few times if someone else orders it ). I put it as a suitable craft beer, but not a good craft beer.

Khazadum, Jul 27, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -8.2%

12oz bottle via trade, thanks to BelgianPrincess I think, but can't be sure since I acquired this from the haze that was DLD.

Pours darkest brown in color with a creamy three-finger tan head that lasts.

Aroma is excellent: rich roasted malts, espresso, chocolate, and vanilla.

Doesn't taste quite as good as it smells, but is still fairly tasty. Roasted malt, caramel, chocolate, espresso, peaty earthiness, vanilla, and a little tartness to it even, like porters sometimes have.

Smooth on the mouthfeel with medium body.

A nice, enjoyable porter overall.

nickd717, Jul 11, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +17%

Wow. My new favorite. At first sip can taste the malts which are outstanding, but I am blown away by the body. Mayflower has created a new gem. I expect a porter with this taste and feel to need an 8-9% ABV in order to carry it off, but to manage this with only 5.5% is amazing. The only problem I have with this issue is finding it; is constantly sold out locally.

bjoyce12, Jul 08, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a two finger light tan head that fades slowly to a ring leaving some lace. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Black color no highlights. Nose is roasted chocolate. Flavor is roasted, almost burnt chocolate. $1.85 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA.

jdhilt, Jun 27, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

I didn't have much time, wanted a beer, but didn't have anything in the fridge that I didn't have to review. I decided one had to be drank sans review and this one got the call. Problem is, I enjoyed this beer so much I decided I needed to write about it so I adjusted my schedule to type up some quick notes. 12 oz bottle received as an extra in a recent trade, poured into my trusty Bruery tulip 06/19/10.

Forms a very nice, decently retained, mocha colored head. Leaves some lacing but it goes quickly. Body of this beer is completely black.

Aroma includes a nice roasted malt character, wouldn't necessarily say coffee-like but heading that direction, well balanced with some great, slightly chalky, cocoa notes.

Roasted malt is a little smoother on the palate than on the aroma and pushed just slightly into the background. Chocolate is slightly more dominant but still not candy-bar sweet. Mild hops team up with the roasty flavors for a slightly bitter finish. The roast-chocolate balance (my favorite characteristic of good a English Porter) that was there on the nose is well maintaned here.

Mid bodied and easy drinking. Carbonation seems sightly high on this bottle but it doesn't seem to be a problem. This brew was a surprise gem and I hope to see it again.

berkey, Jun 20, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +15.1%

Thanks go to (I think) LocalIsBetter for hooking me up with this.
Poured into my Delirium tremens tulip.

A: Pours a deep mahogany color with ruby highlights around the edges. About a finger of foam recedes fairly quickly to leave a thin layer floating on top with little to no lacing around the glass.

S: Very robust. Heavy coffee up front. Deep caramel and chocolate tones follow close behind. Not much hops to speak of, but then again, there really shouldn't be. Near perfection.

T: Big roasty flavors bombard the palate immediately upon impact, followed by some coffee and chocolate. Some caramel notes are present, but are mostly covered up by the massive roastiness. Seems to get better with every sip. Impressive.

M: Almost spot on. Could use just slightly less carbonation, but otherwise this is about as good as it gets.

D: Wow. One of, if not the, best porters I've ever had. And at 5.5%, I could drink plenty more. Remarkable.

NewGeneric, May 25, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance - A nice black sits well in the glass with just a caramel colored hat on that settles down just a bit thin

Smell - a very nice aroma that reminds me of that first step in to a coffee shop, a nice strong aroma of chocolate and coffee, subtle hints of vanilla molasses

Taste - An excellent taste, stronger than the accompanying aroma

Mouth / drinkability - A little more crispness here would go a long way I think and would take both the feel and drinkability to the next level

jopper, May 21, 2010
3.6/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown with clear edges. A modest cap of fine, light tan bubbles appeared during the pour and settled to a collar and thin surface coat over a few minutes time. A bit of spotty lace. Malty aroma, caramel, charcoal or perhaps a hint of smoke, nutty, milk chocolate, faint dried fruit, a bit of bread and dry yeast. Balanced towards sweetness with moderate hop bitterness throughout, fruity and malty up front, brown sugar, charcoal, toffee. Lingering bitterness and herbal hop character. Medium bodied with ample carbonation, slightly astringent. Overall, a decent beer that I enjoyed.

DrJay, May 13, 2010