Mayflower IPA - Mayflower Brewing Company

good

Mayflower Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Beer added by: Patrick on 04-06-2008

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mayflower IPA Alström Bros
2.2/5  rDev -44%

12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: An initial pour down the far side of the upright tulip explodes with carbonation; the next 10 ounces go in with great trepidation and multiple top-offs, resulting in a towering off-white head with creamy foam sticking nearly an inch above the rim of the already-oversized glass. Now that's a ton of head. The body is a fairly dark reddish-amber, with some spiraling tendrils of sediment and a solid column of vigorous carbonation rising from the etched bottom. The massive head sticks around for quite a while, receding in chunks and leaving lots of lace. It's beautiful, but I'm afraid that the over-the-top effervescence could forebode infection. Still, that fear shouldn't take away credit from a gorgeous beer.

S: Yeah, there's the lactic bacteria. Damn. There's some residual herbal hop aroma, but this is dominated by bacterial tartness. It really doesn't smell all that terrible, but it's not at all what I hoped for from this IPA.

T: Mix of some caramel malt sweetness, generic hops bitterness, and plenty of lactic sourness. Again, not undrinkable, but far from pleasant. At least the aftertaste is more hoppy than sour.

M: Hard to discern much about the body when it disperses instantly into pure foam. Lively and fun, but not ideal.

D: What drinkability? I'm tempted to drainpour this just to move on to something more palatable, but I think I'll stick it out - I've had infected beers that were far worse.

Notes: I have to admit that I've been holding on to this one for a few months now, but that would excuse dull hops moreso than clear infection. I'll have to get my hands on another one and drink it fresh. If it's better, I'll re-review.

Cheers! (1,705 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -37.4%

Thanks to tprokop7 for this 12 oz bottle, poured into my Duvel tulip.

Deep amber/copper body with about a finger of bubbly cream-colored head. Head doesn't stick around long. Minimal lacing.

Sweet aromas of baking bread, caramel, and just a hint of earthiness. Where's the hops???

Tastes good, but rather tame for an America IPA. Lots of caramel malt, with some nice bready/biscuity crisper malt flavor, too. Some earthiness and a hint of citrus. Just enough bitterness to keep the sweetness in check. Really could benefit from a serious hop injection.

Average mouthfeel- medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability's OK, but really sticky sweet for an IPA. Not a lot of hop bite to begin with, and certaily no lingering bitterness.

Overall impression: Is it possible that west coast IPA's have ruined my palate? This was a pleasant brew, but didn't really taste much like an IPA to me. (898 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -35.6%

thanks DrDogbeer...received in the White Whale of Generosity BIF...starting to hear alot about this IPA, so I decided to give it a crack...

12 oz. bottle (no freshness) poured into Sweetwater pint glass...

thick and frothy four finger head, very tannish with great lacing and retention...kind of a ruddy orange body with a slight haze to it...cloudy amber?

very peppery and malty, slight hop presence with ALOT of spice, very distinct to say the least...some sweetness with a tinge of grapefruit...i'm on the fence...

eh...soem pine and muted hops bite you, but not for long...ther's a sweetness, but nothing really sticks...it seems that they might have forgotten the hops...disappointment brewing...

flat and oily...disappointed...

would only try this again if promised it was fresh...drinkability is marginal...

this beer could have used some hops...or am i just too demanding in my usage of hops? either way, i demand bottling dates! (944 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -32.6%

12 oz bottle. No freshness dating, which it desperately needs--more below. Nice classy label, understated and sharp.

About ¼ inch bleach white head develops on the top of a burnt orange beer. That head lingers nicely in the glass and never fully dissipates. This leaves spotty lacing all over the glass. Seems sticky, here goes nothing.

The nose is very pleasing leaning more to the citrus side of things with tons of orange flesh accentuated by rose hips and lemon verbena with a touch of vanilla bean. I like it.

All this nice lead up and it completely under delivers on the palate. Really has almost no hops pulling through at all. The malt has taken over and it has a very burnt edge to it.
This just has seemed to completely fallen apart. I can't help but think I got an old bottle, would be nice to know but alas there is another IPA without any help for the consumer to know if it fresh or not. If any style of beer needs a date on the bottle it is IPA.

The beer is flat, in feel not carbonation, and lifeless on the palate with a very charred feel. Like the crispy burnt parts of a BBQed steak but with out the steaky goodness. Such a let down.

Great to look at and smell, horrible to drink. I had a hard time getting this down, but I needed a beer more than anything at that moment, too bad I picked the wrong one.
This is a big disappointment considering the rave reviews from others I trust. Next time I'll try and get a better bottle. (1,454 characters)

12oz bottle (thanks Josh for sharing a new IPA for me!).

Poured a medium amber color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromsa of eartiness, floral with some citrus. Tastes of the same earthiness with again light citrus in there too.

Notes from and tasted on: 4/3/09 (272 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

Appears a transparent orange with a mild white cap that leaves scattered streaks of lacing everywhere.
Smell is of citrusy hops, with some pine, and herbs...but there is something in the background there...hand soap?
Taste is of the herbal, citrusy, malted sugar notes, and weak soap flavors.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, herbal, and citrus. (340 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours a three finger cream head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Crystal clear amber color. Nose is piney hops. Flavor is mostly hops but some sweet malts try to balance. Fruity, hoppy finish with a lingering bitter aftertaste. $2.15 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA. (328 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -21.1%

I've heard some good things about this MA brewery. This is my first Mayflower beer. No date code.

The pour has a very vibrant copper-gold. Unfortunately, the head in my perfect pint glass starts off with some large bubbles and dies down to a weak lace.

The aroma is nice, but you really need to stick your nose in it and swirl your glass around to pick it up. I've found that a lot of these high abv ipa's/dipa's have a hard time having a vibrant hop aroma. I'm getting a bit of orange peel, along with some spicy hop notes. When I looked up the type of hops used in this beer, they are all west coast, citrusy style hops, but I found that they have been eaten up by the malt character. As it warms, some alcohol comes through.

The taste kind of confuses me. Heavy malt presence is fine by me, and this beer has it, but the beer leaves too much sweetness and bitterness on the finish, making it feel unfocused. The hop bitterness is strong but isn't complimented by any dryness, making me want a sip of water after the beer. A very slight orange, citric character from the hops lasts.

I found that this beer has too much sweetness, but this isn't a problem in the taste, as it's covered by the bitterness. The heaviness of this beer is a bit much for the finish. Everything negative about this beer lingers, while the positive gets hidden. The drinkability is okay, I do give it credit for drinking the way it does for 7% abv. However, it fails to be refreshing or relaxing, which is what I look for in an IPA. (1,514 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours a slightly cloudy orange copper with a finger of head giving way to thick lacing. This was bottled on 2/15/11. Nose has freshly baked bread, pinecones and some simple citrus notes along with caramel candy. Taste is a bit diluted showing just some light malts with really not much else. Pleasant and easy to drink with a slight hop finish and floral notes but almost seems a bit watery. Not sure of the price but would be a sessionable refreshing beer, but no where near what i expect out of a 7% ipa. (506 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured, not very cold, into a tall glass, producing six inches of sticky foam. When it settled, the beer is light yellow, with a honeyed aroma -- heavy on malt, light on hops. Mild flavor, easy to drink, but not much excitement. I didn't finish the bottle. (256 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -19.1%

Thanks to ppoitras for knocking this IPA off my wants list.

Pours a light, mottled orange. Smell is light caramel & bittering hops.

Mayflower IPA is a pretty tame beast. The hops are lending more bitterness to the brew than flavor, which isn't my prefered order. Light, citrusy, but short on taste. There's just not much here for me to talk about.

Decent enough brew to sip, but there are plenty of IPAs out there I'd prefer to have in my glass. (450 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.6%

Another local I'm trying. Probably should have gone w/the porter, but so it goes.

Appearance- Lighter copper. Half inch of creamy head. Minimal lacing.

Smell- Plenty of biscuity, caramel malt. Some citrus hops as well. Pine, grassiness.

Taste- Nice biscuit malt. Gets a little sweet, followed by a real bitterness. The finish is a little tough. Very dry. The bitterness lingers unpleasantly.

Mouthfeel- A little thick. Otherwise fine.

Drinkability- Not the best. That aftertaste is tough.

Not for me, honestly. Not a huge fan of all the malt, and the bitter follow. I'm a west coast hop head, and so this isn't the one for me. (635 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Good copper color with apparent carbonation, although not much of a head on the pour.

S: Soft earthy, floral hops, with some light citrus / tropical notes. Definitely more of a British nose than American, in my opinion.

T: Almost malt-driven on the front of the mouth, with more earthy, spicy hops. It does finish nicely bitter.

M: A little on the heavy side of medium body, just slightly sticky. For the most part there's enough bitterness to scrub it, but it does linger a bit. Good carbonation.

O: I feel like this is much more of an English IPA than an American, and as such it's quite good, but a bit of a disappointment for the hop heads. (651 characters)

3.36/5  rDev -14.5%

Thanks to tprokop7 for this extra. Pours a dark orange with a frothy, beige, one inch head. The head recedes in two minutes and leaves nice lacing on the side of my pint glass.

The aroma is pretty average. The beer isn't cold enough to mute the hope aroma, so I must say the aroma is lacking. I find myself searching for hops, and finding little citrus, no pine, and just a bit of floral character. I smell mostly caramel, bready malt. The flavor does little to redeem the beer. There's a low-medium level of bitterness, but no hop profile. I just taste a touch of citrus and bready malt with a bitter finish.

Medium bodied with good carbonation. There's no bottling date on the bottle so I have no inclination as to the freshness of this IPA. There are just too many outstanding IPAs out there, and this one falls short. (823 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought this at Julios as part of a mix a six pack.

A - Poured into a tulip glass about an inch head that had decent retention. The color is was a golden brown color and lacing is pretty impressive.

S - I don't really smell much here. I wonder if the bottle I have is as fresh as it could be. The smell is not terrible this just lacks a powerful hoppy smell

T - Tastes pretty good. Not overly hoppy I would prefer a bit more. Again I wonder if freshness is an issue here. This is not terrible by any means. Just don't get the blast of hops I'm accustomed to from an IPA.

M - Pretty good. Although I would prefer this a bit hoppier, it is not a bad beer. It tastes sweet.

D - It is very drinkable. Not my favorite IPA; however, I did enjoy this. Pretty good job for a brewery that doesn't have a big name. They should be happy about this I can see a beginner or non-hophead really liking this. (898 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -14%

12oz. bottle served into a tulip glass. Thanks for the extra, OrangeAmps!

Pours a brilliantly clear light copper color. Hardly a hop haze here in this beer. Eh, forget alliteration; there's no hop haze at all. It's crystal-clear, a perfectly amber window into the carbonation jetting up to the top of the glass. A half-finger of buttermilk head yields lovely crests of lacing in spite of the relative lack of foam.

There are aromas coming out of this hop profile that I would never expect from a Northeast IPA. I'm immediately struck by the lemon, and especially by the subtle purple fruit -- like wildberry Skittles or something. Parts of this hop profile are reminiscent of New Zealand hops, only without the abundant grassy notes. The other parts of the hop profile are what you expect: Oranges and pine, slick with hop resin. The malt demonstrates itself as more toasted than caramel, which is a bit different in an IPA. There's also some faint alcohol notes that pop up as the beer warms. You also have to watch out for the catty component that develops with warmth. I would score this a 4.0 if it didn't smell so very, very strongly of a use litter box after seven minutes. Love that purple fruit though.

Only a trace amount of that berryish flavor comes through on the palate, however. Mayflower IPA is quite conventional tasting, on the whole. It's a nearly neutral balance of citrus fruit and resiny flavors. Not to say that this tastes neutral, but that there's equally as much citrus as there is resin. It's like if a flavor corporation were tasked to come up with a flavor syrup for India Pale Ale; they would come up with how this beer tastes, on the whole. My biggest problem with the beer is with the malt profile. I don't prefer balanced IPAs, personally, sure. But looking past that, there is too much toastiness here. This isn't a supposed to be a Nugget Nectar-style hoppy amber is it? The toasted malts don't play well on the finish, which is lousy with really oily resin flavors and a wallop of cat piss.

The mouthfeel is medium-bodied, but on the lighter side of medium, really. It is less viscous than I feared it would be given its prominent malt flavors. It has a lot of oily flavors which are enhanced by the relative slickness of the mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average IPA. It takes some chances and is actually pretty aggressive in the world of Northeast IPAs (from what I've explored of the region's IPAs anyway). It ultimately ends up being too full of cat piss to truly love, and too malty for my palate anyway. But worth a shot, I suppose. Nothing bad about it. (2,609 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -13%

Poured out a amber with a lot of carbonation and a big bubbly head that dissipated to nothing. The nose is a large amount of floral hops leaning towards grassy. There is a background of light malts. The flavor is lemongrass/faintly citrus hops that quickly fades to a semi-sweet body. Drinkable given how fast the hops fade you want more. (338 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -12.5%

12 oz bottle (courtesy of garlicfire - thanks again, Karen!) poured into a DFH shaped pint glass

A - Dark amber, little head, and not much lacing

S - Caramel, malt, and a whiff of hops

T - Very malty for an IPA; a bit unbalanced in the wrong direction. Still, this is enjoyable. It's sweet, but not cloyingly so; a hoppier tail-end helps with that. I wouldn't recommend this as indicative of the style, but it does have a good, if unique, taste.

M - On the heavy side for an American IPA - more syrupy than most. A little less carbonation then expected.

D - One is good for me, but it went down easy. Sweetness limits the drinkability for me, personally.

A good IPA, but not great. It was nice for a change of pace and is worth trying if you have the chance. (764 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -12%

Got this beer from my sister-in-law & brother-in-law as part of a Xmas present. Poured into a pint glass. Nice light copper/bronze color. Darker than I like my IPAs, but good looking with a huge head and tons of lacing.

Aroma was slightly citrusy, a bit sweet, but overall a bit subdued, though this isn't the freshest example, I suspect.

Flavor was nicely balanced for an IPA. Still very hop focussed but not over the top. Plenty of hop flavor & bitterness balanced with malt richness. Nice mouthfeel, not too thin, not too full with lots of carbonation. A good, solid IPA. (576 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

Received from a great east coast BA'er! Packaged 12/20/11.

Poured a medium amber that was virtually non-translucent and appeared to be totally filtered. A small, bone white, energized head faded to a mere lace around the glass. The smells are of a slight piney hop scent (not sensing citrus) and a bit more of a heavier malt aroma. The tastes are in accord with that. There is no strong hop front and the malts take precedence in this one. The hoppy bitterness I look forward to in this awesome style was only barely present at best. A decent beer and worth a try.

Cheers! (575 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle purchased at Yankee Spirits in Attleboro, MA. No date on the bottle.

A - Golden with good clarity and a small white head. Great rings of lacing as the glass empties.

S - Earthy and piney hops with a touch of toasted malt.

T - A piney bitterness with an earthy, biscuity malt flavor that approaches a roasted, smoky taste. It's a bit on the dry side and leaves a nice tang in your mouth.

M - A moderate consistency with a slightly high carbonation of very fine bubbles (maybe a bit too high).

D - A flavorful beer with some nice aspects but there was something in the earthiness that just wasn't quite right and made me hold back a bit on the scores. (681 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -11.5%

had on 10/20, from notes.

Pours orangey-amber, small white-ish head fades leaving big bubbles and spotty lacing.

Smells of piney hops and some grapefruit. Toasted crackers and caramel malt. Moderate bitterness with a nice hop flavor, but it's lacking in the crispness and punch I desire in my IPAs.

This doesn't really have too much to keep me wanting to take another sip. It doesn't have any off flavors, but it doesn't have that 'pop' that would really wake it up. It's properly carbonated and sold for a reasonable price, but I wouldn't really want to buy it again or session it, I need something else to break the monotony. (633 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -11.2%

A: Dark golden color, clear, good head and lacing.

S: Some light pine/floral/grass hop smell with some caramel malt aroma underneath.

T: Clean malty flavor, smooth taste. Definitely balanced more towards malt than hops. Light hop bite at end.

M: Velvety mouth feel, low carbonation, which is nice.

O: Straightforward, good drinking beer, hop wise, seems more like a pale ale than IPA, but still a decent beer overall. (423 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

Thanks to corey0212 for sending this one along
The bottle poured into a Sam Adams glass produced a finger worth of white head that trailed of quickly to a thin lace, the body was amber in color.

Aromas' of piney hops filled my nose as I sipped this one then some maltiness followed it right up

Well a typical east coast IPA well balanced leaning ever slightly to the bitter. although I like a little more hop presence in my IPA's a light mouth feel with some carbonation on the tongue.

It is drinkable but I think I have had a few better east cost IPA's. A solid try none the less (586 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a six pack while camping on the cape. A pretty straight forward IPA nothing really comes to mind to make it outstanding. It has a mild hop finish and not a strong malt profile either. I'd probably wouldn't pick it up again but it is a drinkable IPA. (261 characters)

Mayflower IPA from Mayflower Brewing Company