1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Mayflower Thanksgiving Ale - Mayflower Brewing Company

Mayflower Thanksgiving AleMayflower Thanksgiving Ale

Mayflower Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English Strong Ale |  8.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

The first and only perennial offering in our Cooper’s Series of limited batch beers. Mayflower Thanksgiving Ale is an inspired blend of two brewing styles: American Strong Ale and English Old Ale. Aged on American white oak, this full-bodied brew warms the soul with hints of caramel, vanilla and spicy nuts. The perfect beverage for our favorite holiday.

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2008)

nmann08, Nov 28, 2011

EricCioe, Nov 27, 2011

Mikecap, Nov 21, 2012

kaelingirl, Dec 12, 2011

Archemedies, Nov 22, 2012

bakeith, Dec 22, 2011

Thanks goes out to ybnorml for this brew.

Pours a nice clean/clear golden brown color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy light tan head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, slight hop note, with some spice notes. The taste is sweet, malty, some hops, bitter, slight smoke note. Medium body. Drinkable, a very tasty brew, glad to have gotten a chance to try it. I've not been dissappointed from this brewery yet.

Wasatch, Dec 23, 2009

Dizzy242, Jan 01, 2014

Deeps, Nov 04, 2013

tpauer, Nov 25, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

It pours a dark amber with good clarity and bubbly carbonation. It almost looks like a soda. The aroma is subtle and mellow with a fine mix of barley and rye malts, sweet sugar, and a downplayed hoppy character. The body is medium. It has a nice taste that doesn't make you think too hard, which you don't want to do on Thanksgiving. It is bitter but mildly hopped. Overall I found it to be nice and drinkable. I wish I had another one available.

puboflyons, Nov 24, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Presentation: Bomber bottle bought for $6 at a local store. 2012 vintage I'm pretty sure. Served chilled and poured into my Cigar City tulip glass. Allowed to warm up over half an hour or so.

Appearance: Amber to medium brown in color. Nice and clear throughout. Not much in terms of a head upon first pour and recedes pretty quickly into nothing.

Aroma: Toasted bread and caramel notes really stand out. The alcohol is really well hidden.

Taste: Toasted malt and caramel malt notes really create a nice base flavor. Some bitter coffee notes and a slight bittering hop character. Really nicely balanced and tasty.

Mouthfeel: Pretty full bodied and creamy throughout. The carbonation level is pretty low.

Overall, a really nice english style old ale. The balance and toasted character of the malt really seperate this from other beers. Works perfectly for the season too and priced nicely.

Gosox8787, Nov 11, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Picked this up on a recent trip to Boston. Drank it the Tuesday before thanksgiving/thingstaken as the beer warmed I contemplated history, colonization, and the nature of the holiday itself.

This pours the color of burnt sienna, a ruddy amber, with a solid layer of foam that holds up as it warms. It has a pleasing malt profile that reminds me of an English mild. It has a malty, mild flavor with a lingering mouthfeel. Some sweetness? Not chocolate-flavored but there’s an interesting, intriguing flavor that reminds me of hot cocoa in its sweetness and finish. Fennel? Fenugreek? Maple? Can’t quite place it but I like it. This is a good beer, one I’m enjoying enough to wish I had saved it long enough to share.

elNopalero, Dec 06, 2011
3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

A-Very dark amber. Head is smaller. It laces with long drapes.

S-Aged on oak huh? Yeah, my first big sniff offered some very raw wooden aromas. This also smells right around 8%. Definitely noticing that rye piquancy. I also get a soapiness from the hops. Darker fruits and buzzing yeast.

T-Maple syrup with spiced Autumn garnish. Oak subtly sets in as the beer sits and warms. Yeast is forceful. Over-steeped tea. Very malty, very complex. Bitterness sneaks up on you, but there aren't fleshed-out hop flavors. That's okay, because this is all about the malt.

M-Fuller bodied with soft bubbles.Actually, it goes down good. Booze creeps around my senses.

O/D-God, I can just picture this next to a cut of dark meat and some voluptuous stuffing. I have avoided this for about four years. After trying this, I really regret the wait. I like how this is one of the only beers I have ever come across that has been aged on oak and such a proclamation hasnt been stamped onto the front of the label. Overall, I will definitely purchase one of these every year.

VelvetExtract, Nov 14, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours dark orange with an off-white bubbly head that turns to a skim/ring around the glass. No lace.

Toasted grain in the nose, some boiled grain maltiness. Some fruit sweetness, and even a hint of smoke.

Toasty is the word here. What I like is that this element does not go overboard. I'm getting a little bit of apple skin, a touch of fruit, but it immediately vanishes for bitter. A little spice, a little wood, some wet paper, and in the very end you get a touch of alcohol, but just as a palate-cleaner.

Medium to medium full. Ok carbonation. I want this to be a bit richer and thicker.

This is a grown-up beer. Bitter from toasty edges, and not to be consumed in gulps, a sipper for the flavor and not the booze (wow, a real change). I'm glad this is in a bomber. I'm going to grab couple to hold for the holidays. One to share with those who appreciate all styles. Marketed as Old Ale, and I can see it as such.

OtherShoe2, Nov 06, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

I believe this is my 100th beer review so it's fitting we're talking about something pretty good and local. I've never had a bad beer from Mayflower, and considering their low pricing they're really good deals.

This sample poured a 1" head which dissipated to 1/4". Clear burnt umber in color with very active effervescence in tiny bubbles. Pleasant mild and sweet wih malt and rye. Lot's of mouth presence and a long finish.

Although not my favorite of theirs this Thanksgiving Ale is exactly what you need with your Turkey - it's mild enough to taste everything else but looks and feels like a treat.

MoreThanWine, Nov 17, 2010