Mayflower Summer Rye - Mayflower Brewing Company

Mayflower Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Rye Beer |  3.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Patrick on 06-25-2009)

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours an extremely pale straw color. I was actually shocked by how almost-white this beer is. It has nice, lively carbonation that maintains a thin head and leaves better-than-expected lacing on the glass.

S - The dominant smell in this beer is fresh hops (the beer is just over a month old). There is also some spiciness backing up the hops.

T - Nice citrusy hop profile with a subtle malt sweetness. The finish produces a building rye flavor that rushes in like the tide.

M - On the light side of medium, but more than I would expect given the alcohol content. It's definitely another element that I like about this beer.

O - I bought a 6-pack as an impulse buy and I'm glad I did. I've now had three of these beers with the third coming straight from the bottle. This third was my favorite thus far, as I honestly am not a big fan of the color of the beer, and somehow the hop character shines through better directly from the bottle. It's relatively expensive, so I wouldn't buy it for myself, but I might bring it to the next BBQ I attend. It really is a nice summer beer.

2.58/5  rDev -26.9%

Green yellow color. Looks like a hard candy. Good head with a steady stream of replenishing bubbles. Leaves good ring lace.

This has an unusual smell which I can only describe as resembling the smell of drainage pipes disassembled. It's sour and earthy and unappealing.

Thin body and overly carbonated. It feels like a macro, but the taste is anything but. That's sour and reminds me of adding a lemon to a wit. Short aftertaste so his falls short of being refreshing.

Definitely not my style.

---

Tried it as a cask conditioned offering. Definitely improved the flavor. The scores reflect a blending of the two tastes.

3.25/5  rDev -7.9%

2.56/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Dont know what to say
I was looking forward to a new rye ale.
The pour was very very pale yellow, almost too difficult to describe. There was no immediate aroma to this one.
The taste is ok , nothing fantastic, but clean
Strange spice at the end.

Nothing bad about this beer, but also nothing I could get excited about.

2.25/5  rDev -36.3%