Mayflower Summer Rye - Mayflower Brewing Company

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Patrick on 06-25-2009

Ratings: 181 | Reviews: 65
3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

A: Very cloudy straw color. Looks a lot like lemonade. Looks just like a witbier actually. Fizzy white head fades fast. Almost no retention but a bit of lacing.

S: Not only does it look like a witbier, it smells like one. Distinctive coriander and orange smell. A little bit of spice which I assume is the rye. I had to check the bottle at this point to ensure I hadn't poured a Blue Moon by accident.

T: Almost tastes like a witbier too - some orange and some spice but you can tell the rye is there now. A little bit of citrus hop too.

M: Very light and tons of carbonation. A little bit of tingly spice from the rye but otherwise very clean. Almost no aftertaste to speak of.

O: Definitely not what I was expecting. I swear this is a witbier with some rye in it. Regardless of what it is, it's very light and refreshing with just an extra kick from the rye. Honestly I think it would garner better ratings in the witbier category. A good summer beer as the name would imply.

3.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Came with no head. Dull cloudy starw/hay color.

Banana aroma with a little creamy vanilla

Interesting flavor. Up front wheat type notes with a distinctly crisp dry snappy finish. Banana and yeast notes are present.

A bit astringent and gritty. Very light body.

Pretty refreshing. I am a huge rye fan, but I'm not exactly sure how well it works here.

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Super fresh bottle - bottled on 6-8-11, poured on 6-11-11 - poured into a goblet glass.

A - Pale, cloudy yellow with very little head. It looks a lot like a lemonade type drink or some kind of summer cocktail. Pretty different than what I'm used to, even for summer beers.

S - Malt, which I assume is the Rye (I honestly don't know), with coriander spice notes and some citrus/hops.

T - Very refreshing. Malty and lightly spicy, again very reminiscent of a summer cocktail. Hops jump out in the back but aren't strong or overpowering - they're just being nice and letting you know that they're there (very polite). The citrus is more apparent than the hops (but then, the citrus might be from the hops). Obviously no alcohol taste because it's so light.

M - Fizzes up in the mouth - really playful.

D - I can see this being a really great summer beer for just hanging out and taking it easy.

This is a fun beer, but one that takes its fun very seriously. It was really well crafted to be exactly what I think the brewers wanted it to be. I like it.

3.82/5  rDev +8.2%

On-tap 6/7/2011 at Doherty’s East Ave Irish Pub in Pawtucket, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very pale cloudy yellow color with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains citrus, light rye malts, some spice and a good amount of hops.

T: The taste starts out bready with flavors of wheat and a hearty but not too heavy rye malt character. Then some mild sweetness comes in from flavors of citrus and spices. The hops presence is mild for the style but is complementary enough to bring a good balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, light-to-medium body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish is clean.

O: Tasty, goes down very easily, not filling at all, very mild kick, good lighter representation of style, this is a very nice flavorful beer to pound down for a long time.

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

crisp, full of hops and a touch of rye grain. Very summer like aroma and very quick to take it. Did not linger and had that fresh cut off to it. Very pleasing. Huge almost pine like bite and dry finish left you thirsty at the end of it. Some nice malts mixed in as well as a decent amount of sugar. Lots of carbonation rippled through nicely and a somewhat slick, but not that bad of a feeling.

I could pound through this all night long

3.6/5  rDev +2%

Poured into a pint glass a hazy lemon color. Several fingers of fluffy egg white slowly settles to a thin film.

The nose has the distinct rye tinge, also some bready citrus.

A sip is surprisingly creamy, with a light rye spice blended with pale malt, some wheat and subtle hop fruitiness.

Drinkable, that's for sure. Between this and Spring Hop, Mayflower has made two very solid hot weather beers. Not overly complicated, but still leaps and bounds over a BMC.

3.33/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a strange hazy yellow that is very watery looking. Almost reminds me of lemonade. Not a good looking beer at all. Aroma is mostly spicy rye, wheat, citrus and grainy malts. Flavor follows the nose with a pale, sweet pilsner malt backbone, spicy rye again, and finishes with a slightly sour citrus/grapefruity bite. There is also a yeasty/musty character throughout. Very light, watery mouthfeel. No alcohol presence detected. This is what BMC drinkers should be drinking. I could drink an entire six-pack sitting by the pool.

3.18/5  rDev -9.9%

Forgot about this one. Jotted down some easy notes as I bought a single before the end of summer.

A-Hazy yellow with a light head. It retains pretty well. Laces better than I would expect it to.

S-Not what I was initially expecting. Light and malty with some rye spice. A little bit of floral aroma hits me as well.

T-Spicy. Not sure how much I like it. More flavor than I expected, especially at only 3.8%. More pronounced than the nose here. Some hops kick in as well.

M-Light bubbly.

D-Don't absolutely love the taste so the drinkability get pegged down a bit. However, at such a low ABV, this can be imbibed quite quickly and easily.

3.53/5  rDev 0%

Graciously received as an extra from Drez77.

Bottle to pint glass. Bottle indicates that it was packaged on 05/04/10. No ABV listed. Reviewed mid July.

A: Pours with a large 3 1/2 finger head of pure white soapy bubbles. The head deflates slowly and inconsistently leaving behind a lopsided mass as chunks of foam cling to the glass. Fair lacing overall. The body is lightly murky and has a very pale, very light yellow hue. The second pour deposits lots of yeasty sediment, completely clouding the body.

S: Lightly toasted grainy malts. The pilsner and wheat malts are more noticeable to me than the rye. Light citrusy hops aromas of lemon and grapefruit.

T: Very low flavor level. It's obvious the ABV is well below 5%. Hint of spiciness and, again, a noticeable wheat component. The lemon and grapefruit comes through.

M: The mouthfeel is the biggest, strongest aspect of the brew. Medium-full body, minerally texture influenced by a high level of lively and fizzy carbonation. The finish is dry and almost void of flavor but it is lightly acidic and rather refreshing.

D: Drinkability is good but not great. There are equally light and refreshing quaffs available that provide more substantial nose and flavor.

2.94/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a four finger white head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving some lace. Medium carbonation and light bodied. Cloudy very pale golden color. Nose is yeast and rye. Flavor is rye, grass and some yeast. $1.95 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA. Bottled Jun 3, 2010.

4.13/5  rDev +17%

Bottle via trade with BogleHill - thanks!

Pours an almost opaque light yellow-gold color with a 1.5-finger bright white head. The head slowly recedes into a thin layer on top leaving thick lacing.

Smells of light malts with hints of wheat twang and spicy rye. Also present are light citrus aromas with hints of floral hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Robust light malt flavors with good amounts of light and spicy rye flavors kick things off. Joining in shortly thereafter are solid amounts of light citrus hop flavors, a combination of grapefruit and sweet lemon. Midway through the sip the hop flavors darken a bit with the addition of heavier, earthy flavors. The two distinct hop flavors carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall I was impressed with this beer despite it's relatively old age (bottled in early May if I remember correctly). A nice, complex, and most importantly easy-to-drink beer that's well worth a shot.

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

Mayflower Summer Rye has a bright golden body and a bright white head that settles quickly without leaving a substantial lacing.

The aroma is a little bit strange. A ton of spiciness from the rye, a good amount of hops, and what smells a little bit like a wheat twang.

Summer Rye just doesn't really work for me. It reminds me of a bad American Saison mixed with a decent hoppy-wheat beer. The hop profile is big and fairly bitter, but it mixes with what seems to be a good bit of wheat. The rye adds a ton of spiciness to that mix, which is what reminds me of a saison. The flavor profile presents itself as an American Saison that relied heavy-handedly on spices instead of letting the yeast do its job. This is a strange beer.

Mouthfeel was OK, nothing remarkable. A little dry in the finish from the hops.

After my first sip of this beer I actually had to ask the bartender if I got the right beer because I wasn't sure what the hell I was drinking. I'm a mayflower fan, but this one just didn't work for me, although I do appreciate the low ABV for a summer beer.

3.92/5  rDev +11%

This seems to be the beer of my Summer 2010. It's at the beach, weddings, campfires, I've literally seen a case ravaged in an hour. It seems to be one of those beers that the BMC crowd likes and will refer to as "that yuppie beer I like." I like it too.

Cloudy pale yellow. Thin white head that disappears way too fast. Not much to look at.

When I first had this beer (a few actually) at Mohegan Sun I thought that it tasted exactly like eggs and corn beef hash. Aroma is wheaty sour, a little farmy, some grassy hops and not completely like eggs and corn beef hash. Taste is dry with a very minor rye spice and an acidic twang. Grassy hops.

One of those I like it better than I rate it beers. More flavor and complexity than I would anticipate 3.8% ABV.

3.91/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Interesting looking color.Cloudy yellow color. Quite vibrant. Poured with a thin cover of white head. Some spotty lacing.

S: Almost smells like a wit. A little bit spicy. You do get a little bit of rye which is nice. Quite a bit of wheat as well.

T: Very light flavor. Not that complex but nice for the ABV. Little bit of citrus in there as well.

M: Super light body. Well carbonated.

D: I love this as a summer session beer. Quite a bit of flavor and a true session beer's ABV. Well done.

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

On tap at People's Republik in Cambridge. Served in a standard pint glass. Beautiful golden colored body. Thin white head floated on top. Smell was a lemon and pine aroma. Taste was very pleasant. Flavorful with a bit of citrus fruit, but the rye gave it a hay-like flavor also. Brewing with rye also lent a crispness to the mouthfeel that I really enjoyed. Mouthfeel was bright but approachable. I would drink this beer every season, not just summer. One of the better summer seasonal releases that I have tried this year.

2.45/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Very carbonated bottle, not a gusher, but loud noise and very frothy head. As soon as I opened the bottle I could smell sweet malt and hops.

A- Kind of an ugly beer. Odd looking light yellow colored brew. Hazy as well, almost lemon juice looking. It looks like when you go to wash your glass, and the residue of the previous beer mixes with the water and makes a hazy unappetizing color.

S- smells lemonie and sweet. Also the rye seems to come through in the smell more than the taste.

T- 2.5 This beer is really watery. ughck, I never say that about beer. I've had some funky beer, but this is not very good, and extremely unbalanced. There is a sour note that just doesn't go with the beer at all. Very lemonie, I wouldn't be surprised if they used real lemons. I truly appreciate sour beers by the way. It does taste better served warm. And the aftertaste is just awful.

Maybe if they condensed the beer, using less water is would taste better and have a better mouthfeel.

This was one of my lowest review. I like Mayflower brewing company. I honestly feel bad when I don't like a beer. But reviews are based upon personal opinion. And I think this beer kind'a sucks.

4.09/5  rDev +15.9%

Bottle came to me as an extra in a trade care of BA user bring, thanks!

Standard 12oz brown bottle has a packaged date inked on the back of the label that reads 6/16/10. Poured into a pint it appears a very cloudy light yellow color with 2 fingers of white head composed of rather large bubbles. As the head receeds patchy lace clings to the glassware. Wow this is the lightest colored rye beer I have ever had. With a passing glimpse this could easily be mistaken for a hefewiezen or wit.

The aroma of this brew is fairly well dominated by citrusy and herbal hops with a backing of the expected yet light rye spiciness. Slightly sweet faint aroma of grains almost wheat-like become known as this brew warms.

The flavor of this brew is as expected (after taking in the aroma) bitter upfront from the herbal and almost minty flavor of the hops coupled with the unmistakeable flavor of rye. Some dry graininess lingers in the mouth with the spicy taste of rye coupled with a more mellow grain like wheat but not really.

This is a light bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. Carbed enough to be prickly and light on the tongue I could easily kick a few of these back during the summer and would choose this beer over the usual lawnmower brews like american wheat.

A. Poured a cloudy light straw with a one finger white head. Not much lacing on the glass.

S. Hops, cloves bananas, smells like summer.

T. Stars off sweet, banans, and cloves, next the rye takes over, followed by a nice hoppy bitterness.

M. Light bodied, but full flavored. Small bubbles, slightly thin.

D. A great session brew, I could have a few of these while hanging with my friends at the bbq. A great summer brew.

3.97/5  rDev +12.5%

I bought just a single of this beer, and I wish it was a whole six pack.This was a great summer beer. Very light in texture and alcohol which makes it quite sessionable. The rye flavor is evident, but it is not overpowering enough that would make one sick of it. Another great beer from a great New England brewer.

2.98/5  rDev -15.6%

An interesting Thing from the brewery of one of my favorite porters. Foggy and hazy in the glass, the color of watered-down Pine-Sol with plenty of the lemons found in that cleaner but none of the ammonia or whatever the solvent is that they use. Oddly, I detected a distinct aroma of vinyl or... rubber? Something plasticky. The head lasted but an instant. Some bitterness in the nose as well. The vinyl carries into the taste, somewhat covered by lemons and cloves but still prominent. A bit fruit-punchy overall, with a denser body and nice fizz to cut into the summer heat. Still, this is no Great Beer but rather a ho-hummer that you can drink easily. The rye adds some spice and a new tang that isn't present in other lighter fare, and the low ABV makes this a slammer after you finish painting the bathroom on a stagnant and stuffy July afternoon. I ought to be able to choke back the remaining five bottles, but I probably won't be repeating this beer.

4.22/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a 20oz imperial pint. Special thanks to axeman9182 for this extra from our recent trade!

PKG 06/16/10

A: Pours an extremely pale straw color (sort of the color of the Cream Soda flavored Dum-Dum sucker) with the hazed clarity of a Hefe and/or Wit. 1 1/2 fingers of creamy, bright-white head stuck arount for quite awhile but left barely a trace of lace.

S: As soon as I started to pour this, I was struck with a super fresh green hop aroma. Quickly after that, I picked up some banana bread, clove, spicy rye, bread crust, lemongrass, white pepper, and a multitude of various herb garden scents.

T: Close to above with way more emphasis on the rye (it IS called Summer Rye Ale, after all). All of the smells I mentioned above are present in the taste with dry, peppery rye in the beginning, middle, and finish. I think I also detected some thyme and basil in there, as well.

M: Given the low abv, I was fully expecting this to be on the thin and watery side of things. Not so. Suprisingly full and slick on the tongue with a refreshingly dry spiciness.

D: An excellent summer session beer. Very, very refreshing.

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Gold haziness--no head- smells pretty fresh. Matt is a master of rye beers. Even though he doesnt work for these guys anymore, he has clearly left his imprint.

They have maintained a good quality since and this is what a bottled summer craft beer should be--solid across the board but rye beers arent too sessionable.

How bout some inkwell stout to folow this ?

A: Very grainy/hazy pale yellow blond with a white loosely formed head that doesn't last very long.

S: Like walking through an herb garden. Rosemary and lemon thyme, citrus zest, pepper notes from the rye and bready notes from the wheat.

T: A nice earthy and complex lemon pepper kick up front It finishes bone dry with hop bitterness and nothing else.

M: Thin-bodied.

D: 3.8% ABV and an extremely dry finish make this beer perfect for a hot summer day. It's complex, herbal and earthy.

3.94/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle purchased as part of a 6-pack from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into Mayflower nonic, formed a 1/2" bright white head above the very cloudy blonde brew. Head falls rather quickly, with average lacing. Aroma is wheat and spicy rye. Taste starts with a glimmer of wheat, then rye spices, and closes with a peek of citrus and some clean bitterness. Mouthfeel is thin, and drinkability is very easy. As a thirst-quenching summer beer, win. As a rye beer, not quite all I would look for. I think I'll think of this as one of the more flavorful summer brews and be happy with it.

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

12oz. bottle served in my SA Perfect Pint. PKG on 05/04/10 indicated on the back label. Poured a semi-hazy pale yellow with a bubbly, two inch bright white head - this beer looks a lot like a Berliner-Weisse. Head eventually settles into a fairly solid, quarter inch cap, with some delicate strands of lacing revealed during the session. Nose reveals some citrus, earthy/herbal aromatics and a nice mix of rye and wheat. Taste falls somewhat short of the expectations that the appearance and smell suggest. Many of the qualities in the nose come out in the flavor profile, but everything is a little bland and watery with the lightly lingering herbal/earthy quality that was expressed in the nose manifesting itself, before culminating in a light, lingering bitterness - not really hops bittering per se, so it must be coming from the rye. Mouthfeel is light in consistency, with a lively carbonation and crisp finish. This beer has a lot of good qualities to it and proves that a low abv beer can be pleasant and refreshing. Unfortunately, the flavor falls a little short for me. Still this is a pretty refreshing beer for a hot day and a nice alternative to a Hefe because it has some different qualities.

Mayflower Summer Rye from Mayflower Brewing Company