Green's Discovery - Green's Gluten Free Beers

poor

Green's Gluten Free Beers visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Strong Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: wl0307 on 12-19-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green's Discovery Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -47.5%

I previously thought Caoina light was the worst beer in the world. I was way off. This "beer" tastes like a bad lambic blended with dish water. This is a total dumper. It was a gift and I didn't even have the stomach to finish it in front of him. At least it was free.

1.27/5  rDev -46.6%

($5.99 - 500ml bottle at Total Wine in Kennesaw, GA)

Appearance: Pours a hazy, dark amber body slim, off-white head.

Smell: A cutting, highly off-putting industrial chemical aroma.

Taste: Good gracious, me. What have I gotten myself into? Sharp herbal, almost medicinal flavor with a hint of sweetness before it plunges into a sour, harsh finish. Afterwards, there's a lingering, mentholyptus-like sting on the tongue and in the throat.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Those poor, poor celiacs...

1.33/5  rDev -44.1%

Color: Mild amber color with a very thin head that almost isn't much of a head.

Aroma: Bubblegum/fruit aroma that is also somewhat mediciny.

Taste: Fruity and cloying. Sour. Not much taste to be had here. Carbonation resembles that of a soda. Mediciny.

Mouthfeel: Undesirable. Mediciny. Just not drinkable.

Verdict: While the premise of this ale is noble (to give folks allergic to gluten a beer of their own), the taste and quality of it is not noble.

1.35/5  rDev -43.3%

Contract-brewed for a UK brand, "Green's" (Charles Cooper Ltd.), which offers a range of 5 beers, all gluten free and wheat free... The website (http://www.glutenfreebeers.co.uk) stresses that: "it DOES NOT contain any of the following allergens or products thereof: Glutens, Crustaceans, Eggs, Fish, Peanuts, Soya beans, Milk, Lactose, Nuts, Celery, Mustard, Sesame seeds, Sulphur dioxide and sulphites"... Well it does sound like a considerate move to meet the demands of a specific group of people and quite respectfully so. I can take everything but don't mind trying a special beer of this sort.

A: copperish-hued, with an off-white frothy beer head with o.k. retention
S: lightly dusty upfront, sour caramel maltiness and sweet calcium pills, plus a tinge of sour fruitiness a bit like unripe kiwi-fruit+apple juice(?)... I can't quite make of it, as the aroma is so timid and strange...
T&M: strong chemical taste of maltiness, thin-bodied sourly-sweetness all over the place, like juice-drink with a touch of bitterness in the end. The body is not just thin but dispersed... The mouthfeel is soda-fizzy and very thin-bodied.
D: I repect the idea behind production of this beer, but I fail to appreciate its taste and aroma AT ALL. Since I'm not allergic to gluten and stuffs, I'll be sure to keep away from it for the rest of my life. Yet I've got a question here: surely gluten/wheat-allergic people deserve better beers than this?!

1.35/5  rDev -43.3%

Cloudy dark amber with a one finger off white head, with decent retention and lacing. The aroma has sour, borderline spoiled fruit, with an odd artificial smell. Not much of a description, but it's the best I can do with this aroma.

the taste is as bad as the aroma. Sour, maybe spoiled fruit, with an artificial chemical or medicinal type of flavor. This is just awful.

Light bodied with average carbonation, and a medicinal aftertaste. Just terrible. I think I made a big mistake by buying more than one beer from this brewery. Not looking forward to the rest, if they are this bad.

1.5/5  rDev -37%

Appearance - Body is a dark, fairly clear amber with ruby highlights. Head is a large, light tan affair that settles semi-quickly and leaves some lacing.

Smell - Somewhat medicinal in aroma. Some maltiness. Lots of esters.

Taste - Strong medicinal taste/ Bleh. Barely tastes like beer. Taste like cooking sherry with a bacterial infection. I'm dumping it.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body. Good level of carbonation. No objections here.

D - Ughghgh. Unless you are gluten intolerant, I do not recommend trying this beer.

1.65/5  rDev -30.7%

Poured into a tulip glass, it developed four fingers of foamy tan head on top of a dark brownish red body. Head starts to collapse relatively soon, but leaves some sticky lacing.

Smell has a certain candy sweetness to it, like a grape flavoured hard candy. The smell is not especially strong and doesn't have a lot of depth to it, but it doesn't smell bad.

Oh my goodness, the taste is certainly not what I expected. I think this is the worst beer taste I've had. There is a harsh, medicinal, artificially sweetened cinnamon on sour grapes taste. The description doesn't exactly match the real thing, but that is the best I could do.

Mouthfeels is thin but sticky with average carbonation. By this point I don't want to have anymore, I'm just finishing the review.

Awful, shouldn't even be called beer.

1.68/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Purchased this while working a bad shift at a bad place. And drank it for lunch. Because I'm classy like that. Out of the bottle this beer was a chestnut brown color with an off-white head. The aroma astringent, yeast and sour fruit. Very odd. The flavors were no better, bitter and sour at the same time. Hints of generic fruit sweetness at first quickly followed by a strong herbal/medicinal note and then a bitter grainy finish. The mouthfeel was thin, the carbonation medium. Had trouble sucking this one down and would never recommend it even to a Gluten-free dieter.

1.75/5  rDev -26.5%

An odd beer selected mostly just because it is odd.

A clear cola brown colored beer with a decent rocky head.

Persimmon wine is the first thing I smell here. Yeast and fruit scents persimmon and a little apple, REALYY smells more like fruit wine than beer.

The taste begins sweet and a little astringent and stingy, like a slightly green persimmon. Beery aftertaste with a fruit flavor. Carbonation really attacks your tongue here like a soda machine WAY out of adjustment. This is pretty piss poor beer and tastes closer to watered down BAD cider.

Mouthfeel is light and pretty much seltzer water.

SUCKS that sums this beer up in on easy to use five letter word. It doesn't taste like beer and frankly it is worse than that damn Babycham cider I drank. I would like to cut this some slack and grade it on a curve but... 1+1 doesn't equal 3 period.

1.75/5  rDev -26.5%

Into a NB chalice glass, this beer forms a nice head which lasts a bit longer than the Dubbel. The color is dark reddish-brown. Nose is faint, very lightly fruity, but otherwise not much there. Bleagh. In the mouth, it's a thin, sourish beer, with no trace of hoppiness. I couldn't finish it.

There's nothing to recommend this beer.

1.78/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a nice brown color with a short but kind of thick tan head that laces the glass a bit on the way down. The aroma is very strange, mainly of sour berries. The taste was not that unlike the aroma. It was very lambicy and very sour berry flavored. The mouthfeel was very sharp which made for not a very drinkable beer. If this beer tastes like what all gluten free beers taste like, then bring me the gluten.

1.8/5  rDev -24.4%

A - poured brown with way too much head
S - smells almost like wine. A lot of dark, sweet fruit
T - this was very unlike any other beer I have tried. It started with a little sweetness, which was soon followed by an awful blend of spices and odd tastes. It left a very bad aftertaste as well.
MF - went down quickly without much carbonation
D - I am very open minded and try to give beers and styles a benefit of the doubt if I don't like it at first, but this one I couldn't even finish. If I could only drink gluten-free beers, I might consider it again.

1.93/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Very dark caramel with a lot of cloudiness. Lots of lacing on a big head.

S-Lots of Sorghum with a little hops. Can smell the rice on this.

T-Unpleasant bitterness and malt that does nothing for me.

M-Unwanted bitterness lingers and continues to stay with me.

D-I could continue to drink but there are other things that I would much rather drink.

Got this 500mL bottle for $5.98... I think it came from Johnstown Beverage in Johnstown NY. Best Before date 05JAU2012. Nutrition info on the label as well... not sure I've seen that before, very interesting (I wish more brewers would do that, maybe it'll catch on). Served cold in a chilled pint glass. The label assures me that this contains no eggs or crustaceans (among other things) and that is a relief.

This semi-hazy umber brew gives a fizzy white head of large airy bubbles that settles fairly quickly to a minimal layer. Smell is very unique, tannins, ginger?, juniper berries?, semi-sweet, herby, earthy... reminds me a lot of the Lammin Kataja Olut Sahti I had a few weeks ago. Mouthfeel is thin with a sugary viscosity and bubbly rolling carbonation. Taste is bitter dry tannins balanced by an unidentified sweetness, flavors same as the smell. Like a fizzy Sahti. Holy crap there's a ton of flaky sludge at the bottom of the glass.

Appearance, mouthfeel, sweetness are clearly more like soda pop than beer. This is a strange brew. Not bad if you're looking for something weird, but no good at all if you're a no-glut person jonesin' for a real beer. More like a root beer than an English Strong Ale.

For all you high school kids studying SAT questions at home, here's an analogy for you: This stuff is to beer as tofu is to steak. I will avoid it in the future.

2.15/5  rDev -9.7%

poured from a one pint nine oz bottle. freshness date to march 2009. poured decent with good head and carbonation. smells of fruits like green apple. taste was not good. more like a over carbonated cider to me. i did not care for the mouthfeel or taste. $5.69 for this bottle. i will steer away from Greens. not sure why my bottle says product of Belgium and on here it says UK.

giblet

2.25/5  rDev -5.5%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 500ml bottle into Imperial glass.

Appearance: The body has a deep brownish or prune like color with dark reddish highlights coming through a very murky haze. On top I got a tall quick fading off white head. It fades out completely leaving just a little light lacing at the top of the glass.

Smell: There is a light roasted sweetness with some odd fruity wine like notes. This is backed up with some mild herbal and somewhat musty hop character. Overall it’s just odd.

Taste/Palate: From the odd aroma to the odd flavor it brings some light roasted and dark grain sweets to the forefront. From there a dry and slightly tart grape or wine like character moves in with a light herbal tea like hop presence. The palate feels about medium with light carbonation.

Notes: For me this beer just does not blend together well in my opinion and I would defiantly not recommend it.

2.25/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Pours medium dark brown into the glass with a small lingering head, pretty hard to see through and you can almost "see" the acid.

S: Pretty interesting smell with loads of yeast and dried grapes that almost gives you a sense that it's champagne in the glass in front of you.

T: Can't really live up to the smell, or perhaps it lives up to it a bit too well? Very bitter with heavy tastes of yeast, dried fruits, peach and prunes. In my opinion this tastes more like a cider than a beer?

Not to impressed with this really, I was hoping for more as I have heard good things of it, but it really tasted and felt like a cider to me. Sorry, not for me.

2.25/5  rDev -5.5%

It looks like regular beer, except for the thin soda-like head. Light amber, smells faintly sweet. Tastes thin and watery with little backbone or body. A brief crisp grain character of some sort flashes across the tongue, and then it's gone. Thankfully this was a free sample, because if I paid the 5.99 per half liter bottle they were asking, I would have returned it.

2.3/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours out a deep cloudy walnut hue. The head retention is amazing, it will probably outlast you if given the opportunity. Dense light nutmeg coloured head, chunky as it settles, forming shapes like hoodoos.

The aroma is almost completely nondescript, except for some faint musky spice emanating from it in intermittent clusters.

I'm not quite sure what to make of my first sip. The subsequent ones remind me of another ale I'd tried years ago made of millet and buckwheat. Yeasty, with tart acidic grains that more than make up for any bitterness whatever hops were involved could provide. The hops in this ale don't really settle in until well into the aftertaste, leafy and herbal. The initial taste is clean, then picks up a grainy sourness, which rounds out somewhat on the finish. Wow, my gut is not accepting this flavour profile very well, very acidic, almost lends a caustic, corossive feeling. If you were gluten-intolerent I'm not sure you'd want this biting into your stomach lining either...

The mouthfeel is thin yet rounded, most of the texture comes from the flavour.

Well then, it's been a while since I've encountered a beer that has come across so hostile. Perhaps it is a lack of familiarity with these particular ingredients, both regarding the palate and digestion, however I am not feeling the love. In fact I'm only halfway through the bottle and I'm still on my guard, and ready to toss it overboard at the slightest sign of trouble. An expensive niche market ale, and I am not in that particular demographic.

2.3/5  rDev -3.4%

pours a cloudy dark amber with a small light biege head, good lacing.

smell is alcohol, malt, touch of caramel, and some hops.

taste is thick, funky, and malt, with a strange aftertaste.

overall i would stay away from this one. i am not impressed at all.

2.33/5  rDev -2.1%

Burnt orange and brick red. So far, there's no hint of the haziness that is supposed to be the result of natural clearing methods (tannins rather than isinglass or other gelatins). The beige crown is impressively attractive. It has a wonderful texture and is gracing the glass with quite a bit of lace. Since subsequent pours absolutely plaster the glass with chunks of foam, consider the score bumped.

Steely caramel dominates the nose. Also present are a musky, earthy, overripe fruitiness and something that can only be described as lacquer-like. It doesn't make me want to dive right in, but I'm not disgusted either. This might be decent beer, especially given the circumstances.

Discovery almost pulls it off. The start of each mouthful is acceptable... and then things head downhill in a hurry. It's the height of irony that a brewery whose modus operandi is 100% natural ingredients can create an ale that tastes so artificial. It's good to know that no celery, peanuts, crustaceans, eggs or sesame seeds have been used during brewing.

How about... spicy rye bread soaked in turpentine, mushy apples covered in caramel, bitter orange marmalade and a handful of roasted peanuts (sorry... this is peanut-free beer). It's hard to get the description exactly right when the flavor profile is so bizarre. This is one case where a less aggressive beer would have been a better beer.

What limited ingredients Green's GFB allow themselves to use aren't conducive to a good mouthfeel. Not only is it thin for the style and the ABV, it isn't expansive or creamy in the least. A few more bubbles probably would have helped.

It's too bad that those who are intolerant of gluten are unable to enjoy beer like the rest of us. Some of them might enjoy Green's Discovery, but I'd think that most would make an attempt to discover other, more drinkable options.

2.35/5  rDev -1.3%

Aroma is weak but does have a tasty malt component and a hint of brandy. It pours a dark brownish amber with a thick but not persistent head. Flavor is more like cider than beer, mainly apply and rather on the thin side. Texture is fairly smooth and a little jazzy.

I guess ya gotsta have barley or wheat to make a truly flavorsome beer. Still, they get an A for effort.

2.38/5  rDev 0%

A- Pours a dark reddish brown, with a foamy, fast dissolving head.

S-Has a burnt woody smell, with the presence of cidery alcohol underneath.

T&M- There's a hint of cider in the back of the taste. I also detected some other fruit,maybe cherry in there as well. A little on the harsh tasting side as the alcohol is a bit too prominent for my liking. Is sort of thin and harsh going down. There is a bad sour finish to it.

D- This is not something I can say I overly enjoyed drinking. I would not recommend this one. I'd rather have the Green's Quest if I had to go gluten free.

Green's Discovery from Green's Gluten Free Beers