Green's Endeavour Dubbel Dark Ale - Green's Gluten Free Beers

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2007

to view more.
Ratings: 109 | Reviews: 68
3.34/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: The beer is dark brown when viewed from afar, but upon closer inspection when held up to a bright light it is clear dark red in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down, leaving a large patch of bubbles in the center and a thick collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of dark fruits—black cherries seem to stand out in particular—are present in the nose along with hints of candi sugar and hints of vegetables.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste is dominated by flavors of black cherries and has a little bit of sweetness from the candi sugars. Slight hints of sorghum are noticeable towards the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This is pretty good for a gluten-free beer and doesn't have much in the way of "off" flavors from the sorghum as these are mostly masked by the cherries and candi sugars. It's also one of the heavier-bodied gluten-free beers that I've had.

3.11/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a bottle into a schooner, the beer is a deep, dark, vibrant, ruby-brown coloring with a thin, low profile, off-white head. Aromas of sugary sweetness, roasted nut, tangy caramel, and some old world fruit sweetness. Very heavy and cloying sweetness. Flavors are very sweet forward, with a blast of date, fig, cherry, and berry notes that border on sugary/syrupy. Candi sugar in there, too, making this a real sweet tooth brew. Wow. The body is light, but a bit chewy from all the sweetness. The aftertaste is all the berry and cherry again, and that lingers through the slick, slightly oily finish. This one leans far too sweet and sugary for me, for the style.

3.09/5  rDev +8.4%

I wish that I could remember where I scored this, but it and other G-F beers have been sitting on my kitchen counter awaiting the right time to drink them. I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "Ale made from Millet, Buckwheat, Rice & Sorghum"; "Green's Ales are brewed and bottled by DeProef Brouwerij, Lochristi, Gent, Belgium."

I Pop!ped the cap and began the pour which resulted in a LOT of rocky, light-tan head coming up as if I were pouring a bottle of pop! It fell as quickly as it rose, but it left a bunch of sticky lacing in its wake. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with NE-quality clarity and beautiful garnet highlights. Once again, the nose held the sharp cheesiness that I am sure what is causing people to give these beers such low ratings. I am also sure that it is borne of the buckwheat that is used in brewing G-F beers. The people rating (and reviewing) G-F beers should bear in mind that we are (probably) not their intended audience and give such beers a break with an eye towards what life would be like if we were gluten intolerant. Mouthfeel was thin, but highly carbonated. The taste was, well, I am not going to sugarcoat it - it was really sharp, initially and I almost spit it out since it was so unexpected! Once I overcame my initial gag reflex, I began to get flavors of dried, dark fruits and it was quite enjoyable, actually. Finish had a burnt sugar sweetness, rendering it semi-sweet overall. I can honestly say that this has been an eye-opening weekend for me and I look forward to a continued exploration of G-F beers.

1.31/5  rDev -54%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I picked this up for my wife who has a gluten allergy. Relative to other gluten free beers, this is not bad. Relative to everything else...

4.27/5  rDev +49.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tried this on a whim at my favorite sushi place. From the bottle straight to wine glass.

L: Dark (hard to see in the restaurant) with thin head.
S: Smells dubbel-y, but different. Going out on a limb and saying it's from the different malt source.
T: Very surprised at the dubbel flavor in a gluten free beer. Some alcohol taste coming through. The other "grains" providing different, unfamiliar tastes, but nothing so offensive. Again very surprised at the quality of taste. Greatest dubbel ever? Not close, but I wouldn't confuse it for something else.
F: Light for a dubbel - due to the lack of gluten?
O: Not bad at all! Rather surprised/delighted that alternatives exist for those that can't have gluten. I wouldn't swap it for Chimay or Ommegang, but it'll do in a pinch.

1.59/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Aroma of sherry, wine, vegetal, dirt. Taste dry vinous, faint cherry coke, prunes. Not a Dubbel! Another undrinkable Gluten!

Sampling right now on 9/26/14. Comes in a single 600ml (16.9 ounce) bottle for around $6.00 from Hy-vee. Best before '22/10/18'on the label so I am safe. LOL! From the DeProef Brouweril, Lochristi, Gent, Belgium. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a handled glass stein.

Pours a pretty dark brown with some ruby highlights, almost black with a good 3-finger thick foamy beige head that last a good while before settling down to a good 2-3mm head. LOTS of lacing is seen when sipped and sticks to the sides of the glass. The aroma is of yeast, rice, and sweet dark molasses. The label says:"Water, millet,buckwheat, rice, sorghum, hops and yeast'. Lots going on with the taste as you can taste the ingredients listed including the water. LOL! Goes down easy with a very slight dry bitter finish that doesn't last. Also a slight different aftertaste is noted. Not bad but different. Overall a different BUT decent brew.

4.5/5  rDev +57.9%

WONDERFUL gluten free ale but EXPENSIVE. I cannot believe that anyone rated this gluten free delight poorly.

3.27/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had this a few weeks back at the Bonefish Grill in Pine Brook - not having a gluten-free beer before and never had anything from Green's as well. While this didn't live up to expectations, it was decent for being without gluten, even though it wasn't anywhere as good as the Dubbel's the define the style. Overall, this was worth a go once but without strong body and appealing mouthfeel, this beer faded as quickly from memory as it did once I finished off the bottle at my table.

Of course, this poured quite dark and thin with a head that was moderately present and faded n due time. Not a strong aroma to this but there was the typical candied sugar and dark fruit to be round here. The mouthfeel was thin and was an indication of how easy this would go down with my meal. There was apple and pear here but not a lot of yeast, body, or darker fruits to be found and the carbonation was present enough to keep this light. It felt like a dark cider and went down as easily as one too, as the sugar gave this a feeling of a fall "orchard" beverage.

Even though it wasn't easy to discern, the alcohol was spot-on and the somewhat creamy aspect of the mouthfeel led this to go down easy. Would gluten have added more body to this beer? Probably, but even with that, it would have still been light. I wouldn't trash this like others have on here but at the same time, this wasn't anything special. A good beer should enhance a meal and with the bread and seafood that I enjoyed, this paired just fine. worth a try once for anyone who wants a light Belgian-style beer with dinner without being overwhelmed.

3.2/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 500ml bottle. Pours a dark chestnut brown colour. Very fruity nose with scents of pear/pear skin, port and dried plum. Flavours of cherry and cola on the palate, with a tart dry finish. It’s not as heavy as an Abbey ale, but has nice similarities flavour wise.

1.67/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Pours a dark brown color with a small off white head, with fair retention and spotty lacing. the aroma is both sweet and tart with apples, grains, and a sweet malt which is hard to describe. Not inviting.

Has a weird combination of sweet and tart flavors which has an apple and vinegar type of tartness and sweetness, along with an artificial type of malt flavor. That's the best way I can describe it.

Light bodied with a lot of carbonation. Just as nasty as the other two Green's beers I picked up. Thankfully I am done with these putrid beers now, and can get on to something better. I should have know better than to buy all 3 of these Green's beers without checking any ratings first.

1.94/5  rDev -31.9%

Appearance - dark brown, can't see through it. Nice bubbly 1/2 finger head.

Smell - sweet & sour. Very interesting smell...can't quite place it.

Taste - decent flavor, however not strong how I like most of my beers. The best gluten offering I have ever had.

Mouthfeel - so-so

Overall - an ok beer for being gluten free.

2.69/5  rDev -5.6%

Oh my God. I bought this because I had a friend who had allergic issues. It taste like a dark Corona. It's barely drinkable, and franky, for the calories, I might just drain pour and open something decent to get this aweful taste out of my mouth. ICk.

3.76/5  rDev +31.9%

A: Poured a dark brown, looks almost like cola. Quite carbonated out of the bottle, with a large dark tan head that quickly dissipated leaving behind significant lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: A caramel sweetness with a hint of acetic acid underneath.

T: Strong sweet malt flavors up front with hints of caramel/toffee that leads into a slight acidity and finishes with an earthy mineral character.

M: Initially the carbonation is silky, and fades to a lingering effervescence. While the flavor is sweet, the mouthfeel isn't sticky.

O: One of the better gluten-free offererings I've had. The flavors almost remind me of Lindeman's Faro at the beginning. While not strictly adhering to the flavors you would find in a traditional dubbel, it is still quite good for what it is.

3.53/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - dark brown amber; thin lacing of brown head; decent retention

S - baked apples, bread, faint spice

T - baked apples, caramel, faint yeast, mild spice

M - very crisp, smooth, medium bodied

As far as gluten free beers go this is decent. The apple presence is strong and off putting, but overall this is decent.

My wife who has been searching for a decent gluten free beer for a while says that this is her absolute favorite.

3.38/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Not much head or lacing after the initial hard pour. Just a few wisps of foam remain.

S: Sour cherry candy, soft milk chocolate.

T: Tart dark fruits, toffee, cola, cherries.

M: Very fizzy while taking sips.

O: As a dubbel it's really off the mark, as a Dubbel/Flanders Red hybrid, this is very good.

3.06/5  rDev +7.4%

The appearance is very dark black with a red hue at the bottom of the glass. Has a frothy foamy head which take a while to settle
down but stays at some level all the way down. The foam even sticks to glass all the way down.

Smells of faint cherries and sorghum.

Tastes very fruity strong on cherries almost like cherry coke. After taste of sorghum not too bad.

Feels very carbonated at first like a soda but them calms down and feels much thicker in the mouth.

Overall doesn't really taste like a dubbel but as a gluten free beer it's the best I've had and I've tried most of them.

1.45/5  rDev -49.1%

Blind beer #2 of 12

This beer is a bomber that was gift wrapped no sign of glass ware suggestions so I will give it a sniff test. Off comes the cap a lactic honey aroma rises out. So into a snifter I sent this beer.

A-2.5 The body of the beer is mahogany. The head was a short lasting white coloration. No lacing noted on my glass.

S- 2.5 This is a bit odd. The aroma of honey sweetened lactic and vinous apple cider rise out my glass. At first I was intrigued but this quickly turned into a train wreck as the beer quickly warms.

T- 1.0 This beer taste like an apple cyser / honey mead gone horribly wrong. Lactic vinegar notes combine with MD 20/20 vinous notes. In short not good.

M- 1.0 This beer would have been very limp in character if not for its astringency. Light bodied almost no carbonation.

O- 1.0 I can truthfully state this beer was unappealing.

Thanks for a unique beer experience that will haunt my memory for some time. Is this beer as intended, infected or just off?

The Reveal. Greens Endeavor All Natural Double Dark.

A beer brewed with Millet, Rice, Buckwheat and Sorghum. I would also like to add no redeeming value for a beer drinker.

2.37/5  rDev -16.8%

Cellared for two years above 45 degrees.

A - A head just like a Coca~Cola Classic. It started out at 3 inches and quickly faded to less than a quarter inch. The body is deep brown with hints of purple when held to light. I want to say this beer looks good but the head is so much like a soda that I just can't do it even though at an eighth of an inch it offers some very nice stamina.

Also, I've never seen nutrition facts on a beer label before... that I remember anyway.

S - It smells slightly sweet, with plum, cranberry, molasses, and brown sugar.

T - The flavors here consist of dark sugars, like those found in soda. It tastes less like a malty Belgian style dubbel and more like a cola.

M - The feel is light and airy with a lot of carbonation.

~ If I had Siliac's Disease I would do my best to make this beer work. That being said, I do not, so I won't, and I recommend you do the same. To me this seems more like an alcoholic cola rather than a dubbel.

2.68/5  rDev -6%

500 ML poured into a Chimay Chalice.

A - Pours very dark with garnet highlights. Cola brown head that sinks into an active ceiling.

S - Cherries, some tartness, apples, berries, sweet candy, perfume wine.

T - Cherries, vinous oxidation, tart dark fruit, subtle Christmas-like spice, dried orchard apples, dry vinous alcohol thins out the flavors on the finish.

M - Aggressive carbonation fills the mouth with bubbles and thins out the flavors, hindering them from developing.

It's like a sparkling red wine with some yeast thrown in. Not as good as Quest and not a great Dubbel but it has a huge disadvantage being gluten free. For some reason it reminds me of Christmas. I could drink this while decorating the Christmas tree.

3.5/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a clear pint glass. Best before 20/12/15 (international dating). Paid 6.35 at Life Source Natural Foods in Salem, Oregon.

A-Pours a very dark chestnut (more like Scottish ale) with a very frothy and loose 3 finger head that dissipates quickly.

S-Fruity and sweet. Decent aroma.

T-Slightly sour, and fruity. Surprising, and encouraging given it is brewed from millet, buckwheat, rice, and sorghum for grains. Gives a homebrewing gluten intolerant (just recently discovered) beer advocate hope.

M-Very smooth for 7.0% ABV. Mouthfeel is a bit thin mostly due to under carbonation.

O-Not a great Dubbel when compared to barley based gluten beers. But, as a gluten free beer this is very good. Green's has produced the best bottled gluten free beers on the market. I wish more brewers would enter the game.

3.61/5  rDev +26.7%

500ml bottle, newer label, served in a chalice. Exceptional amount of information on the label, including details of "Gluten Free" claim,

A - Pours a very dark and opaque brown; hazy rather than cloudy. Fine tan head has excellent retention.

Aroma: Light grain and yeast aromas with an about equally floral and fruity bent. A bit more alcohol presence than there should be in a 7% beer, but these aromas meld exceptionally well with the others. Wait ... as the beer warms these become more pronounced (typical) and a little less attractive.

T - Sweet, particularly up front, but remaining so even into the finish -- brown sugar with a bit of toffee and fruit (hints of cherries). Not so sweet, however, as to earn demerits. It does lack some of the toasted malt flavor normally expected. Raisins and other dark fruits linger into the finish which is quite fine but not quite as lasting as I'd like. This brew also lacks the richness, complexity and depth of the best Belgian dubbels (some of the world's finest IMO). Still, this beer has some nice complexity such that different flavors seem to come to the fore across the course of consumption/warming. Rating approaches 4.5.

M - lively yet very smooth. A little less full than preferred.

O - a fine and distinct Belgian dubbel, little hampered by the gluten free goal. While this makes a fine sipper, it is exceptionally drinkable and can disappear quickly. Less than world class but not actually disappointing.

2.61/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

500ml bottle, an apparent Belgian-style dubbel, brewed with millet, buckwheat, rice, and sorghum, the current quartet selected to play the part of barley malt in this production, it would seem.

This beer pours a murky, dark iced-tea brownish colour, with pervasive amber highlights, and three fingers of puffy, densely foamy, and rocky beige head, which leaves a high pressure system of cloudy hanging lace around the glass as it duly recedes.

It smells like aged, oxidized, and vinegary red wine, sweet orchard fruit (plum and overripe apple and pear), middling yeast, and a musty, earthy leafiness. The taste is mildly sweet, and more sour red fruit - stale grapes, red apple skins, cherry lozenges, and plum wine - something endemic in the nature of the input grains, I suspect, a nondescript earthy, somewhat musty graininess, diet root beer, my mom's well-aged cooking vinegar, and soft, slightly funky Belgian yeast.

The carbonation is average in its workaday frothiness, the body medium-light in weight, a tad watery for the purported style, but generally smooth. It finishes off-dry, the various sweet 'n sour fruitiness persisting, and getting boozier in concert with the associated rise in ambient temperature.

Well, like many of the other gluten-free beers I've had, this just seems to be sorely missing the right grain backbone. Conversely, however, it does a decent job of providing some of the other flavour characteristics inherent in the proclaimed style, and hides its elevated alcohol well enough. Overall, though, one out of two and a half just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid. Drinkable, I suppose, but this is not the dubbel you're looking for.

3.88/5  rDev +36.1%

Same color and fizz as a "classic" soda pop. Very appealing.

Wine grapes and alcohol in the nose. A hot warmth.

The taste is a bit complex for a dubbel. Seems more like a Quad. Spiced hot like cider with that characteristic burn. A bunch of flavors. Caramel on the back of the tongue. Berries on the middle of the tongue. Taste like wine on the front of the tongue.

Sparkly. Light and slightly creamy.

Dang fine beer. If I hadn't known already it was Gluten free I would never guessed it in a thousand years had you told me this beer was missing an ingredient so common to beer.

Ahhh...The Belgians...

2.69/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance is dark brown with a very tall light brown fluffy head not bad lace. Smell reminds me of rum and coke and dark fruits, with the sweetness of the coke and a light bite of rum in the aroma. It also Tastes a little like rum and coke with a bit earthiness put into it. Mouthfeel is light with good carbonation. I'd like to have seen my face in the mirror after having that 1st sip, interesting, different, not necessarily bad, but probably not again.

to view more.