Green's Endeavour Dubbel Dark Ale - Green's Gluten Free Beers

Green's Gluten Free Beers visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 108 | Reviews: 67
3.11/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a bottle into a schooner, the beer is a deep, dark, vibrant, ruby-brown coloring with a thin, low profile, off-white head. Aromas of sugary sweetness, roasted nut, tangy caramel, and some old world fruit sweetness. Very heavy and cloying sweetness. Flavors are very sweet forward, with a blast of date, fig, cherry, and berry notes that border on sugary/syrupy. Candi sugar in there, too, making this a real sweet tooth brew. Wow. The body is light, but a bit chewy from all the sweetness. The aftertaste is all the berry and cherry again, and that lingers through the slick, slightly oily finish. This one leans far too sweet and sugary for me, for the style.

3.09/5  rDev +8.8%

I wish that I could remember where I scored this, but it and other G-F beers have been sitting on my kitchen counter awaiting the right time to drink them. I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "Ale made from Millet, Buckwheat, Rice & Sorghum"; "Green's Ales are brewed and bottled by DeProef Brouwerij, Lochristi, Gent, Belgium."

I Pop!ped the cap and began the pour which resulted in a LOT of rocky, light-tan head coming up as if I were pouring a bottle of pop! It fell as quickly as it rose, but it left a bunch of sticky lacing in its wake. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with NE-quality clarity and beautiful garnet highlights. Once again, the nose held the sharp cheesiness that I am sure what is causing people to give these beers such low ratings. I am also sure that it is borne of the buckwheat that is used in brewing G-F beers. The people rating (and reviewing) G-F beers should bear in mind that we are (probably) not their intended audience and give such beers a break with an eye towards what life would be like if we were gluten intolerant. Mouthfeel was thin, but highly carbonated. The taste was, well, I am not going to sugarcoat it - it was really sharp, initially and I almost spit it out since it was so unexpected! Once I overcame my initial gag reflex, I began to get flavors of dried, dark fruits and it was quite enjoyable, actually. Finish had a burnt sugar sweetness, rendering it semi-sweet overall. I can honestly say that this has been an eye-opening weekend for me and I look forward to a continued exploration of G-F beers.

1.31/5  rDev -53.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I picked this up for my wife who has a gluten allergy. Relative to other gluten free beers, this is not bad. Relative to everything else...

4.27/5  rDev +50.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tried this on a whim at my favorite sushi place. From the bottle straight to wine glass.

L: Dark (hard to see in the restaurant) with thin head.
S: Smells dubbel-y, but different. Going out on a limb and saying it's from the different malt source.
T: Very surprised at the dubbel flavor in a gluten free beer. Some alcohol taste coming through. The other "grains" providing different, unfamiliar tastes, but nothing so offensive. Again very surprised at the quality of taste. Greatest dubbel ever? Not close, but I wouldn't confuse it for something else.
F: Light for a dubbel - due to the lack of gluten?
O: Not bad at all! Rather surprised/delighted that alternatives exist for those that can't have gluten. I wouldn't swap it for Chimay or Ommegang, but it'll do in a pinch.

3.04/5  rDev +7%

1.59/5  rDev -44%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Aroma of sherry, wine, vegetal, dirt. Taste dry vinous, faint cherry coke, prunes. Not a Dubbel! Another undrinkable Gluten!

1.5/5  rDev -47.2%

Sampling right now on 9/26/14. Comes in a single 600ml (16.9 ounce) bottle for around $6.00 from Hy-vee. Best before '22/10/18'on the label so I am safe. LOL! From the DeProef Brouweril, Lochristi, Gent, Belgium. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a handled glass stein.

Pours a pretty dark brown with some ruby highlights, almost black with a good 3-finger thick foamy beige head that last a good while before settling down to a good 2-3mm head. LOTS of lacing is seen when sipped and sticks to the sides of the glass. The aroma is of yeast, rice, and sweet dark molasses. The label says:"Water, millet,buckwheat, rice, sorghum, hops and yeast'. Lots going on with the taste as you can taste the ingredients listed including the water. LOL! Goes down easy with a very slight dry bitter finish that doesn't last. Also a slight different aftertaste is noted. Not bad but different. Overall a different BUT decent brew.

3.75/5  rDev +32%

4.5/5  rDev +58.5%

WONDERFUL gluten free ale but EXPENSIVE. I cannot believe that anyone rated this gluten free delight poorly.

2.3/5  rDev -19%

1.59/5  rDev -44%

3.27/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had this a few weeks back at the Bonefish Grill in Pine Brook - not having a gluten-free beer before and never had anything from Green's as well. While this didn't live up to expectations, it was decent for being without gluten, even though it wasn't anywhere as good as the Dubbel's the define the style. Overall, this was worth a go once but without strong body and appealing mouthfeel, this beer faded as quickly from memory as it did once I finished off the bottle at my table.

Of course, this poured quite dark and thin with a head that was moderately present and faded n due time. Not a strong aroma to this but there was the typical candied sugar and dark fruit to be round here. The mouthfeel was thin and was an indication of how easy this would go down with my meal. There was apple and pear here but not a lot of yeast, body, or darker fruits to be found and the carbonation was present enough to keep this light. It felt like a dark cider and went down as easily as one too, as the sugar gave this a feeling of a fall "orchard" beverage.

Even though it wasn't easy to discern, the alcohol was spot-on and the somewhat creamy aspect of the mouthfeel led this to go down easy. Would gluten have added more body to this beer? Probably, but even with that, it would have still been light. I wouldn't trash this like others have on here but at the same time, this wasn't anything special. A good beer should enhance a meal and with the bread and seafood that I enjoyed, this paired just fine. worth a try once for anyone who wants a light Belgian-style beer with dinner without being overwhelmed.

3.75/5  rDev +32%

3.25/5  rDev +14.4%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Green's Endeavour Dubbel Dark Ale from Green's Gluten Free Beers