Green's Endeavour - Green's Gluten Free Beers

poor

Green's Gluten Free Beers visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2007)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Brad007

Vermont

1.3/5  rDev -53.4%

Pours a dark brown color with a brown two-finger head into my pint glass that fades.

Aroma is sweet and a bit gummy with the smell of alcohol and light raisin in the nose.

Taste is sour and gummy/sweet. Very watery. Very little, if any resemblance to a dubbel here.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery and sweet. Again, very little resemblance to a dubbel.

Just not something I'd ever want to drink. I think that folks with a gluten intolerance can do much better than this. Avoid it.

03-15-2009 17:54:16 | More by Brad007
nlmartin

1.38/5  rDev -50.5%

Blind beer #2 of 12

This beer is a bomber that was gift wrapped no sign of glass ware suggestions so I will give it a sniff test. Off comes the cap a lactic honey aroma rises out. So into a snifter I sent this beer.

A-2.5 The body of the beer is mahogany. The head was a short lasting white coloration. No lacing noted on my glass.

S- 2.5 This is a bit odd. The aroma of honey sweetened lactic and vinous apple cider rise out my glass. At first I was intrigued but this quickly turned into a train wreck as the beer quickly warms.

T- 1.0 This beer taste like an apple cyser / honey mead gone horribly wrong. Lactic vinegar notes combine with MD 20/20 vinous notes. In short not good.

M- 1.0 This beer would have been very limp in character if not for its astringency. Light bodied almost no carbonation.

O- 1.0 I can truthfully state this beer was unappealing.

Thanks for a unique beer experience that will haunt my memory for some time. Is this beer as intended, infected or just off?

The Reveal. Greens Endeavor All Natural Double Dark.

A beer brewed with Millet, Rice, Buckwheat and Sorghum. I would also like to add no redeeming value for a beer drinker.

01-07-2012 15:54:08 | More by nlmartin
thekevlarkid

Maryland

1.4/5  rDev -49.8%

Gigantic brown head towered over the brew even after I tried to pour it carefully. Settled down to a chunky head that laced my glass intermittently. The color is a deep brown like the bottle. Aromas are strange, candy sugar and packing plastic. Flavors are equally unpleasant. For an all natural beer it tastes awfully unnatural and astringent, plastic again, alcohol, vinegar. The mouthfeel is also off, thin for a Dubbel. The color I really the only thing right about this beer, I expected much, much more from a Belgian.

08-20-2008 17:05:59 | More by thekevlarkid
jophish17

Georgia

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%

12-26-2011 18:03:09 | More by jophish17
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

1.63/5  rDev -41.6%

Bottle: Poured a deep pitch-brown ale with a light foamy head with good retention and no lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with some distinguishable alcohol. Taste is also dominated by some overly sweet malt which are kind of gross with some hot alcohol ester. Light body with average carbonation. No subtlety or complexity and not something I am looking for ever drinking again.

01-19-2009 03:43:29 | More by Phyl21ca
hardy008

1.65/5  rDev -40.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Pours a dark brown color with a small off white head, with fair retention and spotty lacing. the aroma is both sweet and tart with apples, grains, and a sweet malt which is hard to describe. Not inviting.

Has a weird combination of sweet and tart flavors which has an apple and vinegar type of tartness and sweetness, along with an artificial type of malt flavor. That's the best way I can describe it.

Light bodied with a lot of carbonation. Just as nasty as the other two Green's beers I picked up. Thankfully I am done with these putrid beers now, and can get on to something better. I should have know better than to buy all 3 of these Green's beers without checking any ratings first.

10-31-2013 00:09:06 | More by hardy008
jrallen34

1.7/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a very dark brown with a 1 finger head with good retention and lacing.

The aroma is really bad and strong. It just smells like bad alcohol mixed with bananas.

The taste is even worse. There is light banana and lots of alcohol with a spit out bittereness.
Mouthfeel is poor and this is not drinkable.

11-17-2009 02:39:36 | More by jrallen34
theopholis

1.75/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - Body is a dark, fairly clear amber with ruby highlights. Head is a large, light tan affair that settles slowly and leaves some lacing.

Smell - Very medicinal in aroma. Some maltiness. Lots of esters. Some spies like cinnamon and clove. Not looking forward to this.

Taste - Strong medicinal taste/ Bleh. Barely tastes like beer. Taste like cooking sherry. I'm dumping it.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body. Good level of carbonation. No objections here.

D - Ughghgh. Unless you are gluten intolerant, I do not recommend trying this beer.

01-23-2008 22:50:59 | More by theopholis
Mamerong

Alberta (Canada)

1.8/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

pours dark translucent brown with a one finger tan head. the head is frothy almost like dish soap and water. leaves some lacing.

It has a strong fruity and alcohol aroma. very sweet and ends bitter and not quite right almost like red wine thats been left out over night.

taste started out sweet, very carbonated, and a strong alcohol taste ended bitter and fruity. not the best tasting, again something tasted off. mouth feal was a little watery with lots of carbonation.

Not easiest to drink and the combination of the off taste, the high alcohol content, and the over carbonation it does not sit right.

i would not recomend this as an alternative for those who can't enjoy regular beer types.

02-14-2010 19:44:37 | More by Mamerong
dholway

1.83/5  rDev -34.4%

In the glass, this 'All Natural Dubbel Dark Beer' looked like a champ. A rich-looking, cloudy brown, it produced an off-white head of foam that lasted until the last drop, leaving plenty of lacing to coat the inside of my Tripel Karmeliet glass. Unfortunately, those are the last good things I can say about Green's Endeavor. The smell is reminiscent of Asian grass jelly drinks. As far as smells go, this one isn't particularly foul. In fact it is reasonably pleasant, but it is quite off-putting when the drinker knows that it is supposed to be a Belgian dubbel. The taste and mouthfeel are both mediocre at best, watery and tasting like an unsweetened herbal soda more than a beer. The aftertaste is fleeting, but what there is of it is unpleasantly medicinal. The abv is listed at 7%, and I'll give them credit for hiding it well, but that's just lipstick on a pig. And at $6 for a 500 ml bottle, I will not be getting a second one, nor will I accept a freebie. Okay, maybe there is one more good thing I can say about this beer: according to the label, it does NOT contain crustaceans, celery, or sesame seeds. That's a good thing, right?

09-16-2007 01:07:09 | More by dholway
Bitterbill

Wyoming

1.83/5  rDev -34.4%

I saw 3 of these gluten free beers on the shelf so I thought I'd pick the one that sounds like it had the most potential..

It pours a very dark brown with hues of red and a small quickly dissipating head of foam.

The smell is of caramel sweetness, dark fruit, and alcohol.

The taste is..umm...sweet to the max mixed in with a lime soda like tartness. Wow. So this is what gluten free does for a beer. Umm...no thanks. It's thin bodied with light carbonation and for me, is almost totally undrinkable. No way I'm going to finish the bottle.

06-04-2009 23:02:36 | More by Bitterbill
Bills453

1.9/5  rDev -31.9%

Appearance - dark brown, can't see through it. Nice bubbly 1/2 finger head.

Smell - sweet & sour. Very interesting smell...can't quite place it.

Taste - decent flavor, however not strong how I like most of my beers. The best gluten offering I have ever had.

Mouthfeel - so-so

Overall - an ok beer for being gluten free.

11-22-2012 12:10:34 | More by Bills453
roblowther

1.95/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours brown-black with a fizzy, soda-like head that leaves a thin, patchy film. It smells of sulphur (molases, maybe), with a bit of raisins in the background. Taste is metallic, bitter, sour, and not...good. It goes through a phase where it almost has a fruity sweetness, then it descends into a medicinal esters finish that devolves into burnt metal finish. I'm not sure if you can burn metal, but I think this is what it would taste like. The mouthfeel is thin but ok on carbonation but I really can't focus on anything past the taste. Not drinkable, sorry. I admire their creation of a beer for the gluten-allergic and I admire their effort to do it in a Belgian style. I'm just glad I'm gluten-ok.

02-14-2009 00:20:34 | More by roblowther
surfer4life

1.98/5  rDev -29%

Poured into a gobblet from a 500ml glass.

A - Pours very dark with no transparency. Huge head at first, but itsn't made of much, quickly disappates to a thin film with thick blotches here and there. No lacing.

S - Smells like wine, grapes and raisins are potent, cherries also detected, but none of the spices one usually get with a double.

T - Way to much like wine, might as well be. Not a dubbel in the least. No spices, berry flavor but more of a sparkling cider fruit taste. A bit sour too.

M - Has a drying effect but the carbonation doesn't match the body type, this is a bit all over the place.

D - Not so much I'm afraid, will steer clear of this one.

04-09-2009 03:09:15 | More by surfer4life
kegger22

2.03/5  rDev -27.2%

Green's Endeavour Dubbel Dark Beer was dark brown in color with a generous beige head that dissipated to a collar. It has that fruity wine aroma, almost a vinegary smell. The taste is also wine-like fruits, but there is also a chemical-metal tang to it. Unfortunately, the taste says it all. I wanted a beer, not wine, and I wanted a flavor to match. This was thin and barely drinkable.

The only other gluten free beer I have tasted was an AB product and it wasn't bad; this was.

03-14-2010 06:11:42 | More by kegger22
budgood1

2.05/5  rDev -26.5%

pours out of the half litre bottle a mahogany colour, rather dark with an ample tan foamy head reducing quickly to some spotty lace and dish soap like bubbles. fruity, solvent like aroma...ripe red fruits, almost like cough syrup. some root beer and sasparilla notes also. unique taste...seemingly devoid of any real dubbel character...some fruity notes...a bit of cola like flavours with some other watered down sugary notes. some yeasty notes, too. really it just seems bland and not very good. wrong mouthfeel and weak and watery body...blech. drinkability suffers because, frankly, this sucks.

this is my first foray into gluten free beers. not impressed. my scores actually might be too high.

03-22-2010 21:36:13 | More by budgood1
largadeer

2.17/5  rDev -22.2%

Appearance - Muddy brown, barely opaque, with a thick tan froth.

Smell - Sour, boozy, grainy - pretty unusual, and not in a good way.

Taste - Very medicinal/alcoholic. Vinegar, green apple and unripe berries. Very thin, dry and astringent with a harsh sour/boozy finish. Not a beer I'd recommend to anyone.

03-22-2008 00:53:29 | More by largadeer
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.17/5  rDev -22.2%

"Let us endeavor to live so that when we die even the undertaker will be sorry."

--Mark Twain

Dark ruby red with bonfire orange edges. The golden beige colored crown was large and loudly crackly to start. It's still softly crackly and is even a little rocky and melted creamy. This isn't a bad looking beer, especially since the glass is becoming coated with lace that looks like khaki colored spray-on snow.

There's something about gluten-free grains that gives beer an odd, offputting aroma. This one smells like mushy apples soaking in turpentine, which is similar, I think, to my olfactory description of Green's Discovery. On the good side, the beer smells like dark malt. On the bad side, it doesn't smell anything like a dubbel.

It doesn't taste like one either. Actually, Endeavor isn't quite as bad as I'd feared. It isn't good, mind you, but I should be able to get through all 500 ml with grimacing too severely. How's that for a recommendation?

The solvent-like character isn't as prominent on the palate as in the nose (or in my flavor memory of Discovery). Steely caramel and tangy dark fruit lead the way. The grains that were used (millet, rice, buckwheat and sorghum) must not surrender their sugars easily because this brew could use a little sweetness to offset the sour. Some hop bitterness wouldn't be bad either. Unfortunately, warming hurts rather than helps.

The mouthfeel is on the thin side. Interestingly, it seems to gain viscosity over the course of the mouthful, finishing with a weird sort of slickness. The bubbles are finely buzzy and are short-lived after contact.

It's hard to believe that gluten-free beer has to be this bad. I sure do feel for anyone who has to drink this stuff. Truthfully, if left no other choice, I'd do without. Bottom line: (less than) one and done for me.

02-15-2009 13:43:53 | More by BuckeyeNation
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

2.25/5  rDev -19.4%

Cellared for two years above 45 degrees.

A - A head just like a Coca~Cola Classic. It started out at 3 inches and quickly faded to less than a quarter inch. The body is deep brown with hints of purple when held to light. I want to say this beer looks good but the head is so much like a soda that I just can't do it even though at an eighth of an inch it offers some very nice stamina.

Also, I've never seen nutrition facts on a beer label before... that I remember anyway.

S - It smells slightly sweet, with plum, cranberry, molasses, and brown sugar.

T - The flavors here consist of dark sugars, like those found in soda. It tastes less like a malty Belgian style dubbel and more like a cola.

M - The feel is light and airy with a lot of carbonation.

~ If I had Siliac's Disease I would do my best to make this beer work. That being said, I do not, so I won't, and I recommend you do the same. To me this seems more like an alcoholic cola rather than a dubbel.

12-06-2011 02:13:53 | More by cdkrenz
dstc

2.28/5  rDev -18.3%

Pours a dark, cloudy brown with a very nice tan head that falls slow leaving a decent lace behind.

Has a sort of clean medicine aroma but does not smell bad.

Okay, what is that taste? Sweet, buckwheat, different. Kind of off-putting. Ends very sweet.

Thin to medium mouthfeel.

Wanted to like this one but I can't. It's just not good at all.

07-10-2009 15:42:02 | More by dstc
allengarvin

2.28/5  rDev -18.3%

An English beer made in Belgium. Bottle lists things this beer does not contain: wheat, barley, crustaceans, eggs, fish, peanuts, soy beans, milk, lactose, nuts, celery, mustard, sesame seeds, sulphur dioxide or sulfites. I could go for a shrimp beer, but unfortunately, this isn't one. I poured it into a New Belgium glass.

It's a very dark beer with a reddish-purple tint when held to the light. It featured a rather airy head at first, nearly an inch high, but it faded very quickly. Rather fruity aroma, but with a... maybe a butterscotch tinge to it. Flavor is weird. Doesn't taste like a dubbel at all. It's more like a fizzy glass of grapefruit juice, sweet and fruity (prunes, red grapes). If there's any hoppy bitterness, I don't detect it. Points deducted for the thin body as well.

I have 2 more Green's beers in the fridge. I hope they're not this bad.

06-14-2008 02:41:48 | More by allengarvin
smcolw

2.3/5  rDev -17.6%

Starts well with a mammoth head. Ruby brown color and clear. Mild lace on the side of the glass.

The smell is sweet like penny candy. Seems plasticky to me. Not inviting.

Very thin body for a Dubbel. This is quite distracting. The flavor is simple--lots of sugar, mild carbonation. Reminds me of Malta, the Latin American soda made from malt.

A clear miss if trying to imitate a Belgian Dubbel. Unless your allergic to the real stuff, I'd avoid this.

04-20-2008 23:38:48 | More by smcolw
vickersspitfire

2.4/5  rDev -14%

Poured into a chalice with an aggressive pour, got a one finger thick ,tan head that was very fluffy but it quickly thinned out and with little lacing. This is a dark brown beer with hints of red hues and some very active carbonation. It has a sweet fruity aroma to it, some cranberries and lemon zest... soy sauce? Too...Just a weird, sour and complex aroma. It has a medium body leaning on the light, mildly sweet and dry throughout, it tastes very much like Green's Discovery... not really a Dubbel taste at all, it is semi-smooth and fairly easy to drink and leaves a slightly Smokey aftertaste in your mouth. This is not a bad beer but I will not be buying it again...

06-24-2008 13:09:14 | More by vickersspitfire
deanhead

Vermont

2.42/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance -Deep dark mahogany color, poured a voluminous head that dissipated to just a few bubbles lacing the glass.

Smell- Sweet raisins and currants, with some hints of honey.

Taste- This beer tastes sweet. Once it warmed up it became cloyingly sweet. It was not the taste I was looking for at all. In fact I don't think the taste even grazes the style of a dubbel.

Mouthfeel- very thin and light in body with slight warming alcoholic taste.

Drinkability- I wouldn't sample this beer again. as far as GF beers go, I would probably steer clear of it. While I really enjoy all Belgian styles, I felt that this beer missed the mark.

11-19-2007 16:17:58 | More by deanhead
spithrash

2.48/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a very dark brown/almost black color. Very fizzy head that dissipates very quickly into nothing. No lacing at all.

Smell of some alcohol and hints of cherry. Interesting.

Tase is somewhat sour and cherry is the most distinct flavor I pick up. Finishes up rather dry.

Has a thin and "tingly" mouthfeel. Also has a "drying" effect on the palate.

Not a very drinkable brew. I will finish this bottle but will not seek it out again.

02-05-2009 04:40:54 | More by spithrash