Green's Endeavour Dubbel Dark Ale - Green's Gluten Free Beers

United Kingdom (England)

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2007

3.34/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: The beer is dark brown when viewed from afar, but upon closer inspection when held up to a bright light it is clear dark red in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down, leaving a large patch of bubbles in the center and a thick collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of dark fruits—black cherries seem to stand out in particular—are present in the nose along with hints of candi sugar and hints of vegetables.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste is dominated by flavors of black cherries and has a little bit of sweetness from the candi sugars. Slight hints of sorghum are noticeable towards the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This is pretty good for a gluten-free beer and doesn't have much in the way of "off" flavors from the sorghum as these are mostly masked by the cherries and candi sugars. It's also one of the heavier-bodied gluten-free beers that I've had.

Serving type: bottle (1,056 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +20.7%

A new brew-line offered to Central Kentucky BA's who prefer gluten-free beers. In fact, this beer fares much better than any other gluten-free beers that I have tried thus far. Starts wit a stable Dubbel look -- Solidly brown with some mohogany, purple colors mixed in, a loosely knit, typical Belgian head and retention, and highly carbonated. Scents deliver a heavy plumb, grape, apple estery quality, along with a sugar / syrup sweetness, and a lot of ferment-type spices. The tastes also deliver heavy, candied fruits found in the aromas. Pile on a deep booze-like flavor, and the brew takes on serious port wine-like flavors, mixed with Mr. Pibb soft drink. Quite nice and flavorful, but lacks depth and complexity. However, as with most gluten-free beers, the body suffers. The beer has a light airiness, that leaves the beer void of texture and depth, yet with a whisp of pepperiness. Finishes with a cola-like flavor (924 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -40.6%

Bottle: Poured a deep pitch-brown ale with a light foamy head with good retention and no lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with some distinguishable alcohol. Taste is also dominated by some overly sweet malt which are kind of gross with some hot alcohol ester. Light body with average carbonation. No subtlety or complexity and not something I am looking for ever drinking again. (373 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -20.7%

Appearance - Muddy brown, barely opaque, with a thick tan froth.

Smell - Sour, boozy, grainy - pretty unusual, and not in a good way.

Taste - Very medicinal/alcoholic. Vinegar, green apple and unripe berries. Very thin, dry and astringent with a harsh sour/boozy finish. Not a beer I'd recommend to anyone. (308 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -19.9%

"Let us endeavor to live so that when we die even the undertaker will be sorry."

--Mark Twain

Dark ruby red with bonfire orange edges. The golden beige colored crown was large and loudly crackly to start. It's still softly crackly and is even a little rocky and melted creamy. This isn't a bad looking beer, especially since the glass is becoming coated with lace that looks like khaki colored spray-on snow.

There's something about gluten-free grains that gives beer an odd, offputting aroma. This one smells like mushy apples soaking in turpentine, which is similar, I think, to my olfactory description of Green's Discovery. On the good side, the beer smells like dark malt. On the bad side, it doesn't smell anything like a dubbel.

It doesn't taste like one either. Actually, Endeavor isn't quite as bad as I'd feared. It isn't good, mind you, but I should be able to get through all 500 ml with grimacing too severely. How's that for a recommendation?

The solvent-like character isn't as prominent on the palate as in the nose (or in my flavor memory of Discovery). Steely caramel and tangy dark fruit lead the way. The grains that were used (millet, rice, buckwheat and sorghum) must not surrender their sugars easily because this brew could use a little sweetness to offset the sour. Some hop bitterness wouldn't be bad either. Unfortunately, warming hurts rather than helps.

The mouthfeel is on the thin side. Interestingly, it seems to gain viscosity over the course of the mouthful, finishing with a weird sort of slickness. The bubbles are finely buzzy and are short-lived after contact.

It's hard to believe that gluten-free beer has to be this bad. I sure do feel for anyone who has to drink this stuff. Truthfully, if left no other choice, I'd do without. Bottom line: (less than) one and done for me. (1,822 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

500ml bottle, an apparent Belgian-style dubbel, brewed with millet, buckwheat, rice, and sorghum, the current quartet selected to play the part of barley malt in this production, it would seem.

This beer pours a murky, dark iced-tea brownish colour, with pervasive amber highlights, and three fingers of puffy, densely foamy, and rocky beige head, which leaves a high pressure system of cloudy hanging lace around the glass as it duly recedes.

It smells like aged, oxidized, and vinegary red wine, sweet orchard fruit (plum and overripe apple and pear), middling yeast, and a musty, earthy leafiness. The taste is mildly sweet, and more sour red fruit - stale grapes, red apple skins, cherry lozenges, and plum wine - something endemic in the nature of the input grains, I suspect, a nondescript earthy, somewhat musty graininess, diet root beer, my mom's well-aged cooking vinegar, and soft, slightly funky Belgian yeast.

The carbonation is average in its workaday frothiness, the body medium-light in weight, a tad watery for the purported style, but generally smooth. It finishes off-dry, the various sweet 'n sour fruitiness persisting, and getting boozier in concert with the associated rise in ambient temperature.

Well, like many of the other gluten-free beers I've had, this just seems to be sorely missing the right grain backbone. Conversely, however, it does a decent job of providing some of the other flavour characteristics inherent in the proclaimed style, and hides its elevated alcohol well enough. Overall, though, one out of two and a half just doesn't cut it, I'm afraid. Drinkable, I suppose, but this is not the dubbel you're looking for. (1,666 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +32.2%

A - Three fingers of light tan head, collapses quickly and leaves thin, sticky lace. Amber brown body with good clarity.

S - Malty (odd, for a beer with no barley), caramel, and raisins. Yeast spice notes of cinnamon and clove.

T - Light caramel, nutty, roasty notes. Some hop flavor and bitterness in the middle as well as grainy sourness. The finish is mostly roasted grain bitterness with some burnt caramel character.

M - As you might expect, the mouthful suffers from the lack of barley. High carbonation, medium body and a fairly sweet finish; I hate to say it, but the mouthful is similar to that of Diet Coke.

D - This is my first gluten free beer, and I am quite impressed. I came into it expecting something pretty bad, based on reviews of other GF beers, but I was pleasantly surprised. If you can get past the somewhat unfortunate body, the flavor is a good imitation of a barley based dubbel, and the smell is so good that it gives no clues that the beer is GF. The best compliment I have for this is that I had no problem drinking the whole bottle and I even enjoyed it! (1,089 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +32.2%

For any of my celiac brethren out there, at least the looks is appealing. Forms a large thicket of light tan head that dwindles at a decently quick pace. Body is ruddy with deep amber highlights, lacing is apparent although not evenly strung. Aroma is very vinous in nature and label says this one is good until 05/05/09 that's awesome I know it's 7% but that doesn't scream that the beer should last. Smells deep like a red wine mild peppery feel with grape peels after being aged on barrels, spicy Belgian yeast strain touch of raisin and apple tartness as well. Flavor is strikingly vinous in nature, grape seeds red wine dry finish with yeast cake dough flavors. A decent amount of acidity can be noted here as well, I'm not getting much hop flavor. Definitely a hybrid Belgian styled dubbel I admire the creativity and I will confess this is not bad at all. Definitely drinkable I will have to compare it to the Red Bridge brew tomorrow, the last gluten free beer I had was utter shit. Yep that brew was the Passover honey beer from Ramapoo Valley. You would have thought they could have pulled of some wine like flavors in their version of a gluten free beer, but sadly that wasn't the case. Mouthfeel does sit a bit heavy some shades of cloying sweetness and acidic dryness with grape tartness and yeast cake powder notes. I will definitely pass this one on to Celiac patient's, as a nurse I run into this disease pretty frequently this brew will have to get my approval as reccomendations for alternative brews that these poor folks can go for. (1,552 characters)

2.29/5  rDev -17%

Starts well with a mammoth head. Ruby brown color and clear. Mild lace on the side of the glass.

The smell is sweet like penny candy. Seems plasticky to me. Not inviting.

Very thin body for a Dubbel. This is quite distracting. The flavor is simple--lots of sugar, mild carbonation. Reminds me of Malta, the Latin American soda made from malt.

A clear miss if trying to imitate a Belgian Dubbel. Unless your allergic to the real stuff, I'd avoid this. (453 characters)

3.61/5  rDev +30.8%

500ml bottle, newer label, served in a chalice. Exceptional amount of information on the label, including details of "Gluten Free" claim,

A - Pours a very dark and opaque brown; hazy rather than cloudy. Fine tan head has excellent retention.

Aroma: Light grain and yeast aromas with an about equally floral and fruity bent. A bit more alcohol presence than there should be in a 7% beer, but these aromas meld exceptionally well with the others. Wait ... as the beer warms these become more pronounced (typical) and a little less attractive.

T - Sweet, particularly up front, but remaining so even into the finish -- brown sugar with a bit of toffee and fruit (hints of cherries). Not so sweet, however, as to earn demerits. It does lack some of the toasted malt flavor normally expected. Raisins and other dark fruits linger into the finish which is quite fine but not quite as lasting as I'd like. This brew also lacks the richness, complexity and depth of the best Belgian dubbels (some of the world's finest IMO). Still, this beer has some nice complexity such that different flavors seem to come to the fore across the course of consumption/warming. Rating approaches 4.5.

M - lively yet very smooth. A little less full than preferred.

O - a fine and distinct Belgian dubbel, little hampered by the gluten free goal. While this makes a fine sipper, it is exceptionally drinkable and can disappear quickly. Less than world class but not actually disappointing. (1,468 characters)

3.09/5  rDev +12%

I wish that I could remember where I scored this, but it and other G-F beers have been sitting on my kitchen counter awaiting the right time to drink them. I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "Ale made from Millet, Buckwheat, Rice & Sorghum"; "Green's Ales are brewed and bottled by DeProef Brouwerij, Lochristi, Gent, Belgium."

I Pop!ped the cap and began the pour which resulted in a LOT of rocky, light-tan head coming up as if I were pouring a bottle of pop! It fell as quickly as it rose, but it left a bunch of sticky lacing in its wake. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with NE-quality clarity and beautiful garnet highlights. Once again, the nose held the sharp cheesiness that I am sure what is causing people to give these beers such low ratings. I am also sure that it is borne of the buckwheat that is used in brewing G-F beers. The people rating (and reviewing) G-F beers should bear in mind that we are (probably) not their intended audience and give such beers a break with an eye towards what life would be like if we were gluten intolerant. Mouthfeel was thin, but highly carbonated. The taste was, well, I am not going to sugarcoat it - it was really sharp, initially and I almost spit it out since it was so unexpected! Once I overcame my initial gag reflex, I began to get flavors of dried, dark fruits and it was quite enjoyable, actually. Finish had a burnt sugar sweetness, rendering it semi-sweet overall. I can honestly say that this has been an eye-opening weekend for me and I look forward to a continued exploration of G-F beers. (1,905 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +27.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - dark brown amber; thin lacing of brown head; decent retention

S - baked apples, bread, faint spice

T - baked apples, caramel, faint yeast, mild spice

M - very crisp, smooth, medium bodied

As far as gluten free beers go this is decent. The apple presence is strong and off putting, but overall this is decent.

My wife who has been searching for a decent gluten free beer for a while says that this is her absolute favorite. (431 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +62%

This review had been previously on the 'De Proefbrouwerij' pages, cos they brew it.

Brown 33cl bottle, drank three days after its best before date. This is gluten free, wheat free 'double dark beer'.

Dark it is, very dark indeed, a really deep ruby red colour to be truthful, with a tan collar and wisps.

The smells given off where complex and different, chocolate malts and liquorice, then more chocolate, dark chocolate actually.

The flavours were deep and rich, again a mix of chocolate and liquorice.

Good feel to this beer, rich, creamy and full of flavour.

Didn't expect anything as good as this when I bought it, very impressed.

Reviewed on: 01-21-2010 21:40:45 (702 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a bottle into a schooner, the beer is a deep, dark, vibrant, ruby-brown coloring with a thin, low profile, off-white head. Aromas of sugary sweetness, roasted nut, tangy caramel, and some old world fruit sweetness. Very heavy and cloying sweetness. Flavors are very sweet forward, with a blast of date, fig, cherry, and berry notes that border on sugary/syrupy. Candi sugar in there, too, making this a real sweet tooth brew. Wow. The body is light, but a bit chewy from all the sweetness. The aftertaste is all the berry and cherry again, and that lingers through the slick, slightly oily finish. This one leans far too sweet and sugary for me, for the style. (672 characters)

2.83/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a three finger rocky light tan head that goes slowly to a thin layer leaving a little lace. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Opaque black color. Nose is very slight spice. Flavor is sweet and sour orange and dark chocolate. Very smooth but something is missing here - hops?? More like a fruit drink. $5.95 for a 500ml bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA. (368 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -31.2%

I saw 3 of these gluten free beers on the shelf so I thought I'd pick the one that sounds like it had the most potential..

It pours a very dark brown with hues of red and a small quickly dissipating head of foam.

The smell is of caramel sweetness, dark fruit, and alcohol.

The taste is..umm...sweet to the max mixed in with a lime soda like tartness. Wow. So this is what gluten free does for a beer. Umm...no thanks. It's thin bodied with light carbonation and for me, is almost totally undrinkable. No way I'm going to finish the bottle. (542 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +12.3%

From the 50 ml. bottle with an expiration date of 16-09-09. Sampled on July 13, 2009.

It pours a mahogany brown with glistening ruby red highlights when held to the light. The head is about two fingers thick and quite puffy. The aroma is a powerful blast of darker malts and sorghum syrup. Medium mouthfeel. After the impressive first glance and whiff, the taste is a bit of a syrupy letdown with chocolate hops and wheat and the obvious stench of alcohol. It leaves a bit of an unpleasant aftertaste. (503 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -50.7%

Pours a dark brown color with a brown two-finger head into my pint glass that fades.

Aroma is sweet and a bit gummy with the smell of alcohol and light raisin in the nose.

Taste is sour and gummy/sweet. Very watery. Very little, if any resemblance to a dubbel here.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery and sweet. Again, very little resemblance to a dubbel.

Just not something I'd ever want to drink. I think that folks with a gluten intolerance can do much better than this. Avoid it. (478 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice.

It pours a very dark brown with a 1 finger head with good retention and lacing.

The aroma is really bad and strong. It just smells like bad alcohol mixed with bananas.

The taste is even worse. There is light banana and lots of alcohol with a spit out bittereness.
Mouthfeel is poor and this is not drinkable. (356 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +17.8%

Thought it would be appropriate to review this beer on Earth Day.

Aroma is fruity and more like a brandy than a beer. Pours a nice dark translucent brown with a beige head that is thick but does not stick around for long. Flavor is rather like brandy or cider, very apply, not like a beer at all but still tasty. Texture is exceptionally smooth. This hardly seems like a beer at all, but that is not necessarily a bad thing! (425 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -2.5%

Oh my God. I bought this because I had a friend who had allergic issues. It taste like a dark Corona. It's barely drinkable, and franky, for the calories, I might just drain pour and open something decent to get this aweful taste out of my mouth. ICk. (251 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -14.9%

An English beer made in Belgium. Bottle lists things this beer does not contain: wheat, barley, crustaceans, eggs, fish, peanuts, soy beans, milk, lactose, nuts, celery, mustard, sesame seeds, sulphur dioxide or sulfites. I could go for a shrimp beer, but unfortunately, this isn't one. I poured it into a New Belgium glass.

It's a very dark beer with a reddish-purple tint when held to the light. It featured a rather airy head at first, nearly an inch high, but it faded very quickly. Rather fruity aroma, but with a... maybe a butterscotch tinge to it. Flavor is weird. Doesn't taste like a dubbel at all. It's more like a fizzy glass of grapefruit juice, sweet and fruity (prunes, red grapes). If there's any hoppy bitterness, I don't detect it. Points deducted for the thin body as well.

I have 2 more Green's beers in the fridge. I hope they're not this bad. (867 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -47.1%

Gigantic brown head towered over the brew even after I tried to pour it carefully. Settled down to a chunky head that laced my glass intermittently. The color is a deep brown like the bottle. Aromas are strange, candy sugar and packing plastic. Flavors are equally unpleasant. For an all natural beer it tastes awfully unnatural and astringent, plastic again, alcohol, vinegar. The mouthfeel is also off, thin for a Dubbel. The color I really the only thing right about this beer, I expected much, much more from a Belgian. (523 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Pours a dark brown color with a small off white head, with fair retention and spotty lacing. the aroma is both sweet and tart with apples, grains, and a sweet malt which is hard to describe. Not inviting.

Has a weird combination of sweet and tart flavors which has an apple and vinegar type of tartness and sweetness, along with an artificial type of malt flavor. That's the best way I can describe it.

Light bodied with a lot of carbonation. Just as nasty as the other two Green's beers I picked up. Thankfully I am done with these putrid beers now, and can get on to something better. I should have know better than to buy all 3 of these Green's beers without checking any ratings first. (692 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -25.4%

pours out of the half litre bottle a mahogany colour, rather dark with an ample tan foamy head reducing quickly to some spotty lace and dish soap like bubbles. fruity, solvent like aroma...ripe red fruits, almost like cough syrup. some root beer and sasparilla notes also. unique taste...seemingly devoid of any real dubbel character...some fruity notes...a bit of cola like flavours with some other watered down sugary notes. some yeasty notes, too. really it just seems bland and not very good. wrong mouthfeel and weak and watery body...blech. drinkability suffers because, frankly, this sucks.

this is my first foray into gluten free beers. not impressed. my scores actually might be too high. (699 characters)

Green's Endeavour Dubbel Dark Ale from Green's Gluten Free Beers