Green's Endeavour Dubbel Dark Ale - Green's Gluten Free Beers

poor

Green's Gluten Free Beers visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Dubbel |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2007)
1.3/5  rDev -54.2%

Pours a dark brown color with a brown two-finger head into my pint glass that fades.

Aroma is sweet and a bit gummy with the smell of alcohol and light raisin in the nose.

Taste is sour and gummy/sweet. Very watery. Very little, if any resemblance to a dubbel here.

Mouthfeel is thin, watery and sweet. Again, very little resemblance to a dubbel.

Just not something I'd ever want to drink. I think that folks with a gluten intolerance can do much better than this. Avoid it.

2.17/5  rDev -23.6%

"Let us endeavor to live so that when we die even the undertaker will be sorry."

--Mark Twain

Dark ruby red with bonfire orange edges. The golden beige colored crown was large and loudly crackly to start. It's still softly crackly and is even a little rocky and melted creamy. This isn't a bad looking beer, especially since the glass is becoming coated with lace that looks like khaki colored spray-on snow.

There's something about gluten-free grains that gives beer an odd, offputting aroma. This one smells like mushy apples soaking in turpentine, which is similar, I think, to my olfactory description of Green's Discovery. On the good side, the beer smells like dark malt. On the bad side, it doesn't smell anything like a dubbel.

It doesn't taste like one either. Actually, Endeavor isn't quite as bad as I'd feared. It isn't good, mind you, but I should be able to get through all 500 ml with grimacing too severely. How's that for a recommendation?

The solvent-like character isn't as prominent on the palate as in the nose (or in my flavor memory of Discovery). Steely caramel and tangy dark fruit lead the way. The grains that were used (millet, rice, buckwheat and sorghum) must not surrender their sugars easily because this brew could use a little sweetness to offset the sour. Some hop bitterness wouldn't be bad either. Unfortunately, warming hurts rather than helps.

The mouthfeel is on the thin side. Interestingly, it seems to gain viscosity over the course of the mouthful, finishing with a weird sort of slickness. The bubbles are finely buzzy and are short-lived after contact.

It's hard to believe that gluten-free beer has to be this bad. I sure do feel for anyone who has to drink this stuff. Truthfully, if left no other choice, I'd do without. Bottom line: (less than) one and done for me.

1.95/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours brown-black with a fizzy, soda-like head that leaves a thin, patchy film. It smells of sulphur (molases, maybe), with a bit of raisins in the background. Taste is metallic, bitter, sour, and not...good. It goes through a phase where it almost has a fruity sweetness, then it descends into a medicinal esters finish that devolves into burnt metal finish. I'm not sure if you can burn metal, but I think this is what it would taste like. The mouthfeel is thin but ok on carbonation but I really can't focus on anything past the taste. Not drinkable, sorry. I admire their creation of a beer for the gluten-allergic and I admire their effort to do it in a Belgian style. I'm just glad I'm gluten-ok.

2.48/5  rDev -12.7%

Pours a very dark brown/almost black color. Very fizzy head that dissipates very quickly into nothing. No lacing at all.

Smell of some alcohol and hints of cherry. Interesting.

Tase is somewhat sour and cherry is the most distinct flavor I pick up. Finishes up rather dry.

Has a thin and "tingly" mouthfeel. Also has a "drying" effect on the palate.

Not a very drinkable brew. I will finish this bottle but will not seek it out again.

2.73/5  rDev -3.9%

Served from bottle into wine glass

A- Dark brown, no head, little carbonation

S- Aroma reminiscent of red wine, but slightly sour

T- Sweet, but not cloying. Some flavors of root beer, perhaps from the buckwheat?

M- Thin, watery, little carbonation

D- Easy to drink due to the low alcohol, but not very exciting in flavor profile.

1.63/5  rDev -42.6%

Bottle: Poured a deep pitch-brown ale with a light foamy head with good retention and no lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with some distinguishable alcohol. Taste is also dominated by some overly sweet malt which are kind of gross with some hot alcohol ester. Light body with average carbonation. No subtlety or complexity and not something I am looking for ever drinking again.

2.63/5  rDev -7.4%

Forgive the brief review, this is my first review after finding out I have celiac.

First the 500ml bottle was like $7 so my standards for it are pretty high. Sadly it doesn't meet them. The beer has an overall nice appearance. Dark, nice head, ok lace, yeast stayed in the bottle well.

Past that though I found it be a pretty carbonated and watery tasting beery. Very little mouth feel or body and not much that reminded me of the beligians I miss so badly.

Is it better than your other gluten free options? Probably. Is it better to the tune of probably 3-4x the cost of your other options? I don't think so. Give it a shot if you're missing belgians but their blonde tripel is better.

2.73/5  rDev -3.9%

This is a bit strange in my opinion, because the label of this beer says it's a product of Belgium, and brewed by DeProef Brouwerij in Gent, Belgium, and yet the BA website refers to it as an English beer. Everything else, though, matches up exactly. A tad bit confusing if you ask me.

Poured into a Belgian snifter, the Endeavour is a pretty beer. Dark brown at first sight, with colorful oranges and a deep ruby red hue mixed in for good measure. A thin tan head rests on top. Not much lace worth mentioning. The nose is reminiscent of a boozy red wine, or a thin port. Big on cherries, there are bound to be some other fruit scents in there that are overwhelmed at first. Maybe some faint citrus notes that eventually rise to the forefront, but it's hard to tell. Still, not a bad smell. Just not what I would have expected from a Dubbel. The taste is, again, more wine than Dubbel ale. Red wine grapes with a strong berry flavor. Cherries. Tart and somewhat acidic, with a funky tin-flavored aftertaste. Not really my cup of tea, this one. Mouthfeel is thin and tinny.

Man, am I glad I'm not forced to drink gluten free beers all the time. This just doesn't do it for me. It's not terrible, but it doesn't exactly meet the usual Belgian dubbel ale standards. Average drinkability here because, in my opinion, I've had worse. But I wouldn't recommend this to anyone except those of you who are seeking something totally different that what you're used to. This beer will satisfy that craving, if nothing else.

3.23/5  rDev +13.7%

pours a dark brown with a ruby tint, large bubbly tan head, some lacing.

smell is strange, hard to put my finger on, grapes, dark fruit, touch of vanilla, malt, some licorice, and some caramel.

taste is very sour and tart, sour grape, fruits and berries, some cocoa, licorice, malt, slightly bitter.

3.63/5  rDev +27.8%

For any of my celiac brethren out there, at least the looks is appealing. Forms a large thicket of light tan head that dwindles at a decently quick pace. Body is ruddy with deep amber highlights, lacing is apparent although not evenly strung. Aroma is very vinous in nature and label says this one is good until 05/05/09 that's awesome I know it's 7% but that doesn't scream that the beer should last. Smells deep like a red wine mild peppery feel with grape peels after being aged on barrels, spicy Belgian yeast strain touch of raisin and apple tartness as well. Flavor is strikingly vinous in nature, grape seeds red wine dry finish with yeast cake dough flavors. A decent amount of acidity can be noted here as well, I'm not getting much hop flavor. Definitely a hybrid Belgian styled dubbel I admire the creativity and I will confess this is not bad at all. Definitely drinkable I will have to compare it to the Red Bridge brew tomorrow, the last gluten free beer I had was utter shit. Yep that brew was the Passover honey beer from Ramapoo Valley. You would have thought they could have pulled of some wine like flavors in their version of a gluten free beer, but sadly that wasn't the case. Mouthfeel does sit a bit heavy some shades of cloying sweetness and acidic dryness with grape tartness and yeast cake powder notes. I will definitely pass this one on to Celiac patient's, as a nurse I run into this disease pretty frequently this brew will have to get my approval as reccomendations for alternative brews that these poor folks can go for.

1.4/5  rDev -50.7%

Gigantic brown head towered over the brew even after I tried to pour it carefully. Settled down to a chunky head that laced my glass intermittently. The color is a deep brown like the bottle. Aromas are strange, candy sugar and packing plastic. Flavors are equally unpleasant. For an all natural beer it tastes awfully unnatural and astringent, plastic again, alcohol, vinegar. The mouthfeel is also off, thin for a Dubbel. The color I really the only thing right about this beer, I expected much, much more from a Belgian.

3.7/5  rDev +30.3%

Poured a dark red with a substantial head that lingered for some time. The first smell makes me think that I've made a mistake, but that's only because the bottle said Dubbel. A second smell gives the sharp vinegar note I associate with a Vichtenar. The taste confirms it, this tastes like a Flanders Red, but a bit softer. Mouthfeel turns out to be pretty smooth, dry, with a pleasant crispness. I paired it with a Butterfinger candy bar, the combination seemed to work well. Okay drinkability, I would advise to try it a little colder than is customary and pour it into a pilsner or wiezen glass instead of a goblet. The tall glass tamed the sharpness of this beer a little better, I think.

While I liked this beer, I must issue a warning. It is not like any Dubbel I've ever had before, and I doubt it really fits under that style. What it really is, and not a bad one, is a decent cross between a Flanders Red, and an unblended lambic. If you like naturally fermented beers, with a strong wine-like quality, give it a try. I don't know what the brewers intended with this beer, but that's what they achieved. If you're not fond of those styles, avoid it.

2.4/5  rDev -15.5%

Poured into a chalice with an aggressive pour, got a one finger thick ,tan head that was very fluffy but it quickly thinned out and with little lacing. This is a dark brown beer with hints of red hues and some very active carbonation. It has a sweet fruity aroma to it, some cranberries and lemon zest... soy sauce? Too...Just a weird, sour and complex aroma. It has a medium body leaning on the light, mildly sweet and dry throughout, it tastes very much like Green's Discovery... not really a Dubbel taste at all, it is semi-smooth and fairly easy to drink and leaves a slightly Smokey aftertaste in your mouth. This is not a bad beer but I will not be buying it again...

2.28/5  rDev -19.7%

An English beer made in Belgium. Bottle lists things this beer does not contain: wheat, barley, crustaceans, eggs, fish, peanuts, soy beans, milk, lactose, nuts, celery, mustard, sesame seeds, sulphur dioxide or sulfites. I could go for a shrimp beer, but unfortunately, this isn't one. I poured it into a New Belgium glass.

It's a very dark beer with a reddish-purple tint when held to the light. It featured a rather airy head at first, nearly an inch high, but it faded very quickly. Rather fruity aroma, but with a... maybe a butterscotch tinge to it. Flavor is weird. Doesn't taste like a dubbel at all. It's more like a fizzy glass of grapefruit juice, sweet and fruity (prunes, red grapes). If there's any hoppy bitterness, I don't detect it. Points deducted for the thin body as well.

I have 2 more Green's beers in the fridge. I hope they're not this bad.

3.23/5  rDev +13.7%

Thought it would be appropriate to review this beer on Earth Day.

Aroma is fruity and more like a brandy than a beer. Pours a nice dark translucent brown with a beige head that is thick but does not stick around for long. Flavor is rather like brandy or cider, very apply, not like a beer at all but still tasty. Texture is exceptionally smooth. This hardly seems like a beer at all, but that is not necessarily a bad thing!

2.3/5  rDev -19%

Starts well with a mammoth head. Ruby brown color and clear. Mild lace on the side of the glass.

The smell is sweet like penny candy. Seems plasticky to me. Not inviting.

Very thin body for a Dubbel. This is quite distracting. The flavor is simple--lots of sugar, mild carbonation. Reminds me of Malta, the Latin American soda made from malt.

A clear miss if trying to imitate a Belgian Dubbel. Unless your allergic to the real stuff, I'd avoid this.

2.7/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I did a bit of research and this is brewed by Andelot DeProef Browerij in Belgium for distribution in the UK (and handled by Merchan du Vin in the US/Canada).

This is not a dubbel, as in it does not taste like one. So I can't give it a high review even though I like it and think it has a unique taste.

Looks good - dark with a foamy tan white head, but the similarities to a dubble end there.

Slightly sweet, but strongly mettalic scent. Not off putting, but it lacks any of the brown sugar-spicy tones of a real dubbel.

Flavour is also radically different. No raisin or plum notes, no candi sugar, nothing to make this taste like a real Belgian dubbel. Its not "bad;" it has a unique, cereal-like flavour that I find pleasant. But its just not a dubble...flavour is wrong, scent is wrong, too much carbonation. I'd have it again, but...not if I want a dubble.

2.17/5  rDev -23.6%

Appearance - Muddy brown, barely opaque, with a thick tan froth.

Smell - Sour, boozy, grainy - pretty unusual, and not in a good way.

Taste - Very medicinal/alcoholic. Vinegar, green apple and unripe berries. Very thin, dry and astringent with a harsh sour/boozy finish. Not a beer I'd recommend to anyone.

1.75/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - Body is a dark, fairly clear amber with ruby highlights. Head is a large, light tan affair that settles slowly and leaves some lacing.

Smell - Very medicinal in aroma. Some maltiness. Lots of esters. Some spies like cinnamon and clove. Not looking forward to this.

Taste - Strong medicinal taste/ Bleh. Barely tastes like beer. Taste like cooking sherry. I'm dumping it.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body. Good level of carbonation. No objections here.

D - Ughghgh. Unless you are gluten intolerant, I do not recommend trying this beer.

3.63/5  rDev +27.8%

A - Three fingers of light tan head, collapses quickly and leaves thin, sticky lace. Amber brown body with good clarity.

S - Malty (odd, for a beer with no barley), caramel, and raisins. Yeast spice notes of cinnamon and clove.

T - Light caramel, nutty, roasty notes. Some hop flavor and bitterness in the middle as well as grainy sourness. The finish is mostly roasted grain bitterness with some burnt caramel character.

M - As you might expect, the mouthful suffers from the lack of barley. High carbonation, medium body and a fairly sweet finish; I hate to say it, but the mouthful is similar to that of Diet Coke.

D - This is my first gluten free beer, and I am quite impressed. I came into it expecting something pretty bad, based on reviews of other GF beers, but I was pleasantly surprised. If you can get past the somewhat unfortunate body, the flavor is a good imitation of a barley based dubbel, and the smell is so good that it gives no clues that the beer is GF. The best compliment I have for this is that I had no problem drinking the whole bottle and I even enjoyed it!

2.9/5  rDev +2.1%

Presentation: 500 ml label, imported by Merchant Du Vin - best by date of 11/6/09.

Appearance: Pours reddish brown with a very soda like head - large bubbles fades quickly. Some lacing.

Smell: Fruity - tart apple and a bit of belgian yeast aroma.

Taste: Similar to the aroma - tastes very fruity, with just a hint of belgian yeast funk to it. A bit over carbonated.

Overall impression: Interesting - definitely different than other gluten free beers I've tried. Not the best, but its nice to see some variety.

2.8/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a three finger rocky light tan head that goes slowly to a thin layer leaving a little lace. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Opaque black color. Nose is very slight spice. Flavor is sweet and sour orange and dark chocolate. Very smooth but something is missing here - hops?? More like a fruit drink. $5.95 for a 500ml bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA.

2.42/5  rDev -14.8%

Appearance -Deep dark mahogany color, poured a voluminous head that dissipated to just a few bubbles lacing the glass.

Smell- Sweet raisins and currants, with some hints of honey.

Taste- This beer tastes sweet. Once it warmed up it became cloyingly sweet. It was not the taste I was looking for at all. In fact I don't think the taste even grazes the style of a dubbel.

Mouthfeel- very thin and light in body with slight warming alcoholic taste.

Drinkability- I wouldn't sample this beer again. as far as GF beers go, I would probably steer clear of it. While I really enjoy all Belgian styles, I felt that this beer missed the mark.

2.53/5  rDev -10.9%

This one was the biggest hope of the bunch. A Merchant Du Vin rep told me that it was the best of the three, and that it relied heavily on caramelized sugar for its dubbel character. The color was encouraging, and the aroma was not unlike some standard dubbles with the fruity estery yeasty sweet nose, but then --- CRASH! --- it all went to hell in my mouth. Too much thin phenolic sweetness, the sugar was almost all that revealed itself aside from lightning flashes of fruit and malt flavor that appeared and disappeared so fast that my repeated sips to catch this elusive flavor only amplified my disillusionment. Imagine that, the only somewhat satisfying gluten-free beer most people tell me they like is made by A-B. What an ironic fate. 5.99 per half-liter bottle of this stuff - are you kidding me? It's time for those with gluten intolerances that love beer to quit waiting for the market to find a solution, and start brewing up their salvation at home.

3.33/5  rDev +17.3%

A new brew-line offered to Central Kentucky BA's who prefer gluten-free beers. In fact, this beer fares much better than any other gluten-free beers that I have tried thus far. Starts wit a stable Dubbel look -- Solidly brown with some mohogany, purple colors mixed in, a loosely knit, typical Belgian head and retention, and highly carbonated. Scents deliver a heavy plumb, grape, apple estery quality, along with a sugar / syrup sweetness, and a lot of ferment-type spices. The tastes also deliver heavy, candied fruits found in the aromas. Pile on a deep booze-like flavor, and the brew takes on serious port wine-like flavors, mixed with Mr. Pibb soft drink. Quite nice and flavorful, but lacks depth and complexity. However, as with most gluten-free beers, the body suffers. The beer has a light airiness, that leaves the beer void of texture and depth, yet with a whisp of pepperiness. Finishes with a cola-like flavor

Green's Endeavour Dubbel Dark Ale from Green's Gluten Free Beers