Green's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale - Green's Gluten Free Beers

Green's Gluten Free Beers visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Tripel |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2007

Brewed and bottled in Lochristi, Gent, Belgium.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 99 | Reviews: 66
2.98/5  rDev 0%

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that died down, leaving a patch of bubbles in the center of the glass, a thick collar around the edge, and a thin head in between.
S: Light to moderate aromas of apple cider are present in the nose along with some notes of buckwheat.
T: The taste has flavors of sorghum and apples; the sorghum becomes stronger as the beer warms up. A slight amount of bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The smell of this beer isn't that bad because the sorghum is overshadowed by fruity aromas of apples. The sorghum somewhat detracts from the taste and makes it somewhat unpleasant, but if you drink this cold it isn't that bad compared to other gluten-free beers.

3.17/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I wish that I could remember where I scored this, but it and other G-F beers have been sitting on my kitchen counter awaiting the right time to drink them. I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "Ale made from Millet, Buckwheat, Rice & Sorghum"; "Green's Ales are brewed and bottled by DeProef Brouwerij, Lochristi, Gent, Belgium."

The last (for now, for me) of the Green's G-F beers and I feel much more conversant about them now than I did going in.

I Pop!ped the cap and gave it a heavy pour until it began to foam up and threaten to spill over the sides. It produced two fingers of rocky, tawny head with only moderate retention before it began to fall back into nothingness, leaving nice lacing in its wake. Color was a slightly hazy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose again held the slight sourness of apple vinegar and I have reached the conclusion that if buckwheat is going to be used as a principal ingredient, that scent and flavor will be a by-product. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was like apple jack, that is, home-fermented apple cider. I was inadvertently exposed to this as a child at my maternal grandparent's house and I have never forgotten the flavor. It was tasty and included a slight tartness as from citrus rind. Mmmm. Finish was semi-dry, slightly tart but eminently drinkable. I think that I may have found some recommendations for my former colleague!

2.18/5  rDev -26.8%

Aroma
Slight fruity esters, similar to peach.

Flavor
Slight tart notes, tastes like it could be infected. High fruitiness, low malt notes, no hops. Sorghum is the fruity taste.

Mouthfeel
High carbonation with a low body. No alcohol note, surprising since it is 8.5%

3.54/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.54/5  rDev +18.8%

The taste reminds me of a Sake to the tee! It has aromas of apple and if you drink fermented drinks it has that distinct smell. This was my 1st Gluten Free beer as I've recently got diagnosed with allergies to Gluten recently. Being an Avid beer drinker I researched this and found it was supposed to be one of the best. However it took me about an hour to finish this due to the fact the taste reminded me of Sake and Whole Foods fermented juice drinks.

1.87/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Aroma of souring apples, grass, citrus zest, spicey yeast, faint ABV. Taste apple cider, grains, medicinal/chemical, astringent. Another mediocre Gluten Free brew!

2.95/5  rDev -1%

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

2.75/5  rDev -7.7%

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

3.37/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 500ml bottle. Pours a bright, slightly hazy orangish-yellow colour. Plentiful aromas of fruit cocktail. Taste offers sweet notes of fruit candy and fruit cocktail. Light bodied, but bold flavours and a pronounced booziness. Mimics the style fairly well for a gluten-free beer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Green's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale from Green's Gluten Free Beers