Green's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale - Green's Gluten Free Beers

good

Green's Gluten Free Beers visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Tripel |  8.50% ABV

Brewed and bottled in Lochristi, Gent, Belgium.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale Alström Bros

jmathis, Jun 22, 2014

NickThePyro, Jul 31, 2014

Reviewed 6/11/2009 (Bottle):

Pours a clear very light golden colored body. Small pure white colored head. Almost looks like apple juice. Very sweet aroma. Sour apples, and grain. Sugar aroma. Grainy taste, some pear. Light taste, hides the alcohol pretty good. Similar to lambic, and also to a Belgian triple.

jujubeast6000, Jul 12, 2009

Light yellow to orange with a few bubbles and a very foamy head.

The smell wasn't too strong. sweet malts and a little bit of hops.

Its tastes malty with no real bitterness a very mellow flavour with some spices and a bit of sweetness.

Feels pretty thin in the mouth with a small amount of carbonation.

If I had to drink gluten free beer I wouldn't mind drinking this although I prefer the Greens Dubbel to this.

Dave1999, Feb 01, 2012

AmitC, Dec 15, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: Clear, pale blond with a big frothy white head, very good head retention.

Smell: Sweet and sour; lemon, sugar, husky grains, herbs. A little rough, but not bad.

Taste & mouthfeel: Fairly sour initially. Flavors of lemon and green apple with a bit of astringent herbal bitterness. Sweetens up a bit before the finish, with the green apple flavor really coming forward in the aftertaste. Very light-bodied for the style.

Drinkability: I probably couldn't drink more than 7-8 oz.

Notes: Not impressive as a tripel, but good for a gluten free beer.

largadeer, Apr 02, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -0.3%

dbrauneis, Friday at 12:01 AM
2.85/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A light golden brown brew, with a white millet-y head. A fair amount, but I'll note that the subdued head belies the amount of carbonation. Not the best retention, but I will note that the lacing - spiderweb - is better than I expected.

Grapey, not without some hints of doughy yeast. Those notes, being much like champagne, combine with an apple juice aroma. Umm... a nicely dry champagne, at least.

Made to resemble champagne by virtue of being carbonated, the taste reminds me of a very dry white wine. Light, white bread malts. Green apple. Finish is tart, dry, with hints of yeast.

Prickly, becoming a wee bit creamy. Overly carbonated - it occasionally seems to run roughshod over the taste - and I wonder if this is actually intentional, to cover what might be considered off flavors. Medium bodied.

TheMistler, Jul 11, 2009
2.8/5  rDev -5.4%

Contract-brewed in Belgium (by the very capable De Proef) for a UK company. Interesting...especially interesting considering the approach: "Green's Ales DO NOT contain any of the following: Wheat and/or Barley, Crustaceans, Eggs, Fish, Peanuts, Soya beans, Milk, Lactose, Nuts, Celery, Mustard, Sesame Seeds, Sulphur Dioxide and Sulfites". Obviously they're going for beer lovers who suffer allergies. But boy, how could they possibly make a decent beer without eggs or fish?!? Let's see...

Pours a glowing orange-tinted yellow, with legions of bubbles feeding the soapy, sea-foam head. Lace stickage already occurs with the slightest drop of the head.

Smells just like champagne. Tons of green apple and white grape in the nose, plus a little alcohol. Not much else detected. Certainly a novel aroma for any beer. But again: smells just like champagne.

Tastes like champagne too. Crisp Granny Smith apples...lightly tart white grape...bubbly texture. A little spiciness comes into play, a kiss of honey, and some alcohol warming...these are its strongest comparisons to a tripel. There's an odd aftertaste, which is probably just the unusual grain bill (millet, rice, buckwheat, sorghum). It's quite a bit different and much less complex than most tripels I've had...even the bad tripels.

Pretty heavily carbonated, though soft, not at all soda-like. Here again it draws more comparisons to champagne.

There's something interesting here, but it just feels alien. It's a beer made with some unusual stuff, and maybe that's why it doesn't feel "right". Certainly not the kind of sweet, bold, malty, spicy, boozy tripel we know and love. It is absolutely admirable in intent. If I had some allergy that prevented me from drinking beer made of traditional ingredients, there are worse alternatives out there. But unless you're allergic to some or all the above stated ingredients that this is brewed without, you could live without it.

Metalmonk, Jun 11, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -5.4%

Brewed and bottled by DeProef in Belgium. I have no clue as to why it's under a brewer from the UK.

It pours a slightly hazy pale orange with a good 1 finger head of foam with some lacing.

The smell is pretty sweet...candy sugar mostly, some green apple tartness, umm..that's about it. Nothing wrong with that aroma.

Green apple tartness in the taste, some sweet candy sugar in the flavour as well. and some definite spiciness though I'm hard pressed to define it. Be forewarned, my bottle's label says best before Jan 15, 2010 so I must be drinking it not as intended by the brewer. Very much a cider like brew at this stage but not a drain pour.

Very bubbly, thin bodied, again, very cider like.

Drinkabilty is not bad. Despite it being very unbeer like, it goes down easy and the alcohol is not noticeable. Would I buy it again? Not likely. The resemblance to beer has been lost...ymmv.

Bitterbill, Mar 06, 2011

cbcrunch, Aug 15, 2014

Danobold, Oct 27, 2012

bzach, Oct 16, 2012
2.63/5  rDev -11.1%

I have no health reason to consume gluten-free beers. However, I work in a store that carries several varieties, and I've found my advice to be helpful to many customers. So, when a local vendor handed a bottle of Greene's Quest to me for sampling, I couldn't disappoint my customers and not try it myself!

The color is very much in the vein of tripels: it's a hazy (nearly opaque,) dark amber with light, golden highlights. The snow-white head didn't disappoint. It began a half-inch thick and slowly dissolved into a lean, foamy lacing around the perimeter of the liquid. It's with the aroma that things start getting weird. A lot of unusual scents emerge, including lemon and grape, and an odd essence I can only best describe as soap. It's not an offensive smell, but certainly not what one is used to with this style.

Much of the aroma is reflected in the flavor. The same sort of fruit characteristics are present, as well as a cola-like element that reminds me of ginger ale only not as sweet. As the beer begins to warm, a pleasing aftertaste can be noticed: a mild (and I do mean mild) bit of dark, ripe fruit can be extracted, as well as a bit of honey-style sweetness. Unfortunately, the carbonation hinders the overall taste experience–at least for me.

I don't find this beer particularly offensive; in fact, I found it somewhat pleasing, especially as it warmed. Don't get me wrong, it really cannot be compared to grain beers of this style. But, if I were gluten intolerant I wouldn't mind having this around.

CWiggins, Jan 11, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -13.9%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 500ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: It has an orange/golden color with a hazy body and a tall head from the pour. This head slowly fades out leaving no covering or lacing.

Smell: The aroma has a light wine like character with apple skins and just a touch of citrus and yeast spice.

Taste/Palate: Up front there is a light grain and an odd apple skin like fruity sweetness with a touch of bready/spicy yeast. The finish has a dry and tart white wine like character that smacks the palate. The body has a light medium feel with balanced carbonation.

Notes: As a Belgian Tripel it’s an epic fail!!! As a gluten free beer it has more character than most. Still I don’t think I would recommend this beer to anyone.

generallee, May 10, 2011
2.54/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Smell: faint herbs, cloves, citrus, and pears

Taste: subtle clementines, herbs (I'm not a cook so I could only tell you this beer tastes like the 'green' ones), and hints of apple cider pervade throughout; heavy rice, bitter oats, and slightly sour gains prevail during each sip

I'm sorry if you have a gluten allergy; this beer doesn't do it for me and it probably won't for you either. Some people may like the taste of sour yeast, oats, and rice but as for yours truly, it's very overbearing and kills the potential it has with some of its other flavors. Maybe if you pair it with a veggie pizza that includes heavy Alfredo sauce it may work

Sorry greens

Blindpigbiz, May 23, 2013
2.48/5  rDev -16.2%

Color is right but the head is like soap suds. Golden color & no head retention. The smell has some of the right notes, a bit of apricots up front. But then, that sulphur-molases smell hits me. I'm afraid a little. Taste starts ok, again, some fruit. But then it finishes metallic, sour, bitter, and desert (not dessert) dry. Mouthfeel is about right, with more substance than it looks. Drinkability just isn't there. Again, like the other gluten-free offering I've tried from Green's. I applaud their effort & aspirations. Now I'm going to go have a beer.

roblowther, Feb 14, 2009
2.43/5  rDev -17.9%

500ml bottle, a Belgian-style (well, it should be, given that this is brewed in Belgium) Tripel, made with a who's who of alterna-grains: millet, buckwheat, rice and sorghum.

This beer pours a clear, medium golden copper colour, with two fingers of rather puffy, and yet thinly foamy off-white head, which leaves some table top cloud lace around the glass as it gently settles.

It smells of sweet white grape juice concentrate, candy sugar, gritty honey, more than a bit of green apple tartness, and a weak herbal/leafy bitterness. The taste is medicinal, and mildly gag-inducing, sweet non-wheat and/or barley graininess, boozy apple cider, edgy yeast (oh, hello Belgian Tripel characteristics!), and hops that are indeed there, but hard to discern beyond their general drying nature, as they are pretty much obfuscated by that cough syrup broadside.

On to the carbonation - it's fairly average, and generally unobtrusive in comparison, the body more akin to watered down apple juice than beer, yet the gods of smoothness appear to throw this one a bone. It finishes off-dry, the musty apple character becoming more prevalent, and begrudgingly welcome in its supplanting of that earlier medicinal astringency.

Urgh. I'm taken back to defending my position on tofu 'burgers': it may sort of look like the real deal, but if it isn't made with the same ingredients, how can you truly expect it to taste like it? Oh, right. You can't. While this is not as egregiously awful as some of its G-F compadres, my heart still goes out to the celiac beer lovers out there. C'est trop mal.

biboergosum, Apr 16, 2011
2.42/5  rDev -18.2%

It looks like a weak ginger ale, and smelled remotely tripel-like. The flavor was more like a very clean, crisp cider made in somebody's basement. To be most objective, the beer wasn't bad, but it didn't taste like beer. If I was gluten intolerant, I would just switch to cider rather than pay the high price for this one if only to say I can still drink "beer."

dedrinker, Oct 27, 2007
2.3/5  rDev -22.3%

This gluten-free Belgian tripel pours out a transluscent apricot hue, a massive amount of carbonation action at first. Tall chunky off white head that settles to a merrengue-textured cap. A thick wall of spongy, coral-like lacing coats the inside of the glass.

Tart, acidic grains on the nose, along with a mildly astringent herbal character. Some soft fruity floral notes, along with a slick soapy presence.

Honestly, it tastes like young homebrew out of the secondary carboy right before you're getting ready to bottle. The "malt" flavour is clean yet tart and acidic (from the rice I would imagine), some citrus notes like that of small young tangerines, with a rolling alcohol presence on the finish. Bitter leafy hops linger on in the aftertaste, as well as the malt tartness. Some spices show up as it warms to near room temperature. Yeah, it's taking me that long to finish...

The mouthfeel is thin and smooth, almost velvety. The carbonation is full yet rounded out.

Well then, I've had some challenging tripels, but this one has to top that list, and that includes palatability. Perhaps an alternative for the seriously gluten-intolerant, but I can't fathom much appeal for any mass-marketing beyond that demographic, except for maybe the hard-core vegan crowd as well (after reading the side of the bottle of what it *does not* contain).

IronDjinn, Mar 07, 2008
2.3/5  rDev -22.3%

A - Transparent orange color. Not much head or lacing.

S - Smells just like apple juice/cider.

T/M - Well, tastes much more like an apple cider than a triple. Crisp mouthfeel.

O - These guys make some good gluten free beer, but this isn't one of them. It just doesn't work. I wouldn't even recommend this to somebody with a gluten tolerance. I mean, it's okay, but why would you choose this over an apple cider? Oh yeah, the alcohol. Yeah it hides that well.

lancecenter, Oct 06, 2013
2.2/5  rDev -25.7%

It's nice to know there are no crustaceans or fish parts in this beer, as the label indicates.

Looks good, good head retention and nice color, if a little light for a tripel. Nose is where this beer heads in the wrong direction. You can smell the rice and sorghum(?).

The taste is pretty much the same, not good but not horrible...at first. As this beer warms the flaws become more apparent and gets downright fruity.

I might have had to pour this one out if I didn't have someone to share this with.

I think I am cutting the beer some slack due to the whole "gluten" free thing...as I kinda feel sorry for people who can't drink regular beer. But if I am not mistaken, isn't Asahi gluten free? I would take an Asahi super dry over this beer any day.

twiggamortis420, Jun 30, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours with a slightly dirty gold color, with a large-bubbled head that shows admirable staying power and some nice lacing. The nose is straightforward and sweet, showing little more than a vaguely fruity, aspartame-sweet smell mixed with some prune jucie. Not too inviting. On the palate, more sweetness, this time of a fruit-juice-with-corn-syrup variety, and a slight astringency toward the end. Mouthfeel is uninspiring -- thin, alcoholic, and harsh. Is this beer the reason you use barley to make beer? Maybe a bit harsh, but there's really not much to recommend here. Pass.

geexploitation, May 23, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -25.7%

"Life begins as a quest of the child for the man and ends as a journey by the man to rediscover the child."

--Laurens Van der Post

Honey amber with a small splash of orange juice. The head looks better than the beer. It's three full fingers of alabaster colored foam that has more than enough tackiness to plaster the glass with lace. This is the best looking of the Green's beer so far. Trouble is, I know from experience what comes next.

The aroma is kinda... sorta... reminiscent of a tripel. Like the other offerings from these guys, it has a solvent-like quality that is offputting. Think golden orchard fruit soaked in paint thinner, with a whiff of phenolic clove. In the end: barely acceptable.

Quest is probably my favorite (make that 'least unfavorite') Green's Gluten Free Beer to date. That doesn't mean that it's any damn good. Maybe the fact that tripels are one of my favorite styles has something to do with it, who knows?

There's quite a bit of apple fruitiness goin' on. Trouble is, the beer tastes like a mixture of bottom shelf green apple schnapps mixed with turpentine. On second thought, this one is no better than the others. Each sip still makes me grimace and wonder why the hell I spent good money on beer that I knew would be lousy.

Maybe it's my nearly empty stomach, but the acidity and the alcohol is giving me a serious case of gut ache and heart burn. Sorry, but this bottle will be emptied in the end, just not into my glass. On a badly needed positive note, Quest still looks good after multiple pours.

The mouthfeel, although not horrible, is a bit thin for the style. It's also oddly slick, which the others were as well. Truthfully, when beer tastes this bad, the mouthfeel gets lost in the shuffle.

It's hard to believe that gluten-free beer has to taste this foul. I'm sure that barley is far and away the best grain to brew with, but someone somewhere should be able to come up with something decent for those poor souls unfortunate enough to be unable to appreciate the wonders of craft beer.

BuckeyeNation, May 13, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -27.4%

My bottle says this was brewed and bottled in Belgium.

a: This was a pale golden yellow, somewhat hazy. It poured with a big frothy white head that quickly faded.

s: I liked the sour apple smell. Unfortunately there is a strong aroma of artificial sweetener here as well.

t: I've been curious about gluten free beers, so here we go. Big flavors of artificial sweetner and some mild floral hops. Tastes a bit like a wine cooler. You poor glutenless bastards.

m: Decent body and fizzy carbonation.

d: I have a new found respect for gluten. This was about as bad as I've tried.

DIM, Jul 22, 2008