Green's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale - Green's Gluten Free Beers

Green's Gluten Free Beers visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Tripel |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2007

Brewed and bottled in Lochristi, Gent, Belgium.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
2.62/5  rDev -10.3%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 500ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: It has an orange/golden color with a hazy body and a tall head from the pour. This head slowly fades out leaving no covering or lacing.

Smell: The aroma has a light wine like character with apple skins and just a touch of citrus and yeast spice.

Taste/Palate: Up front there is a light grain and an odd apple skin like fruity sweetness with a touch of bready/spicy yeast. The finish has a dry and tart white wine like character that smacks the palate. The body has a light medium feel with balanced carbonation.

Notes: As a Belgian Tripel it’s an epic fail!!! As a gluten free beer it has more character than most. Still I don’t think I would recommend this beer to anyone.

2.63/5  rDev -9.9%

I have no health reason to consume gluten-free beers. However, I work in a store that carries several varieties, and I've found my advice to be helpful to many customers. So, when a local vendor handed a bottle of Greene's Quest to me for sampling, I couldn't disappoint my customers and not try it myself!

The color is very much in the vein of tripels: it's a hazy (nearly opaque,) dark amber with light, golden highlights. The snow-white head didn't disappoint. It began a half-inch thick and slowly dissolved into a lean, foamy lacing around the perimeter of the liquid. It's with the aroma that things start getting weird. A lot of unusual scents emerge, including lemon and grape, and an odd essence I can only best describe as soap. It's not an offensive smell, but certainly not what one is used to with this style.

Much of the aroma is reflected in the flavor. The same sort of fruit characteristics are present, as well as a cola-like element that reminds me of ginger ale only not as sweet. As the beer begins to warm, a pleasing aftertaste can be noticed: a mild (and I do mean mild) bit of dark, ripe fruit can be extracted, as well as a bit of honey-style sweetness. Unfortunately, the carbonation hinders the overall taste experience–at least for me.

I don't find this beer particularly offensive; in fact, I found it somewhat pleasing, especially as it warmed. Don't get me wrong, it really cannot be compared to grain beers of this style. But, if I were gluten intolerant I wouldn't mind having this around.

2.83/5  rDev -3.1%

Contract-brewed in Belgium (by the very capable De Proef) for a UK company. Interesting...especially interesting considering the approach: "Green's Ales DO NOT contain any of the following: Wheat and/or Barley, Crustaceans, Eggs, Fish, Peanuts, Soya beans, Milk, Lactose, Nuts, Celery, Mustard, Sesame Seeds, Sulphur Dioxide and Sulfites". Obviously they're going for beer lovers who suffer allergies. But boy, how could they possibly make a decent beer without eggs or fish?!? Let's see...

Pours a glowing orange-tinted yellow, with legions of bubbles feeding the soapy, sea-foam head. Lace stickage already occurs with the slightest drop of the head.

Smells just like champagne. Tons of green apple and white grape in the nose, plus a little alcohol. Not much else detected. Certainly a novel aroma for any beer. But again: smells just like champagne.

Tastes like champagne too. Crisp Granny Smith apples...lightly tart white grape...bubbly texture. A little spiciness comes into play, a kiss of honey, and some alcohol warming...these are its strongest comparisons to a tripel. There's an odd aftertaste, which is probably just the unusual grain bill (millet, rice, buckwheat, sorghum). It's quite a bit different and much less complex than most tripels I've had...even the bad tripels.

Pretty heavily carbonated, though soft, not at all soda-like. Here again it draws more comparisons to champagne.

There's something interesting here, but it just feels alien. It's a beer made with some unusual stuff, and maybe that's why it doesn't feel "right". Certainly not the kind of sweet, bold, malty, spicy, boozy tripel we know and love. It is absolutely admirable in intent. If I had some allergy that prevented me from drinking beer made of traditional ingredients, there are worse alternatives out there. But unless you're allergic to some or all the above stated ingredients that this is brewed without, you could live without it.

2.83/5  rDev -3.1%

Brewed and bottled by DeProef in Belgium. I have no clue as to why it's under a brewer from the UK.

It pours a slightly hazy pale orange with a good 1 finger head of foam with some lacing.

The smell is pretty sweet...candy sugar mostly, some green apple tartness, umm..that's about it. Nothing wrong with that aroma.

Green apple tartness in the taste, some sweet candy sugar in the flavour as well. and some definite spiciness though I'm hard pressed to define it. Be forewarned, my bottle's label says best before Jan 15, 2010 so I must be drinking it not as intended by the brewer. Very much a cider like brew at this stage but not a drain pour.

Very bubbly, thin bodied, again, very cider like.

Drinkabilty is not bad. Despite it being very unbeer like, it goes down easy and the alcohol is not noticeable. Would I buy it again? Not likely. The resemblance to beer has been lost...ymmv.

2.9/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A light golden brown brew, with a white millet-y head. A fair amount, but I'll note that the subdued head belies the amount of carbonation. Not the best retention, but I will note that the lacing - spiderweb - is better than I expected.

Grapey, not without some hints of doughy yeast. Those notes, being much like champagne, combine with an apple juice aroma. Umm... a nicely dry champagne, at least.

Made to resemble champagne by virtue of being carbonated, the taste reminds me of a very dry white wine. Light, white bread malts. Green apple. Finish is tart, dry, with hints of yeast.

Prickly, becoming a wee bit creamy. Overly carbonated - it occasionally seems to run roughshod over the taste - and I wonder if this is actually intentional, to cover what might be considered off flavors. Medium bodied.

2.96/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: Clear, pale blond with a big frothy white head, very good head retention.

Smell: Sweet and sour; lemon, sugar, husky grains, herbs. A little rough, but not bad.

Taste & mouthfeel: Fairly sour initially. Flavors of lemon and green apple with a bit of astringent herbal bitterness. Sweetens up a bit before the finish, with the green apple flavor really coming forward in the aftertaste. Very light-bodied for the style.

Drinkability: I probably couldn't drink more than 7-8 oz.

Notes: Not impressive as a tripel, but good for a gluten free beer.

2.98/5  rDev +2.1%

A: The beer is clear yellow in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high white head that died down, leaving a patch of bubbles in the center of the glass, a thick collar around the edge, and a thin head in between.
S: Light to moderate aromas of apple cider are present in the nose along with some notes of buckwheat.
T: The taste has flavors of sorghum and apples; the sorghum becomes stronger as the beer warms up. A slight amount of bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The smell of this beer isn't that bad because the sorghum is overshadowed by fruity aromas of apples. The sorghum somewhat detracts from the taste and makes it somewhat unpleasant, but if you drink this cold it isn't that bad compared to other gluten-free beers.

2.98/5  rDev +2.1%

A- Light orange, fairly heady, with mild haziness. Seems fizzy with high carbonation.

S- The alcohol is very present in the smell,mixed with a pilsner or light lager scent. Actually, if you close your eyes you'd think you were sniffing a pinot grigio. There's also a hint of cider as it warms. Quite a unique and complex aroma.

T&M- The taste is a shock and a half after smelling. It is very sweet, and has a definite cidery feel to it. Gives off an almost sour apple feel to the tongue. Doesn't feel very fizzy or carbonated on the tongue. It is dry, but not very bitter.

D- This is a very complex beer, that seems kind of all over the place. It was not that terrible, but it's not something I would go out of my way to drink or drink on a regular basis.

Reading other reviews of cloudy pours, I wonder what is up with the brewery. Mine was quite clear (almost looked and smelled like cider) and very much on the sweet citrus smelling side.

The initial taste is a reminder of apple or pear cider, not what I expected when the label read Tripel Blonde Ale. That being said, it is still quite drinkable. One person commented about the after taste as it warmed - this is true and I would not suggest this be served ice cold as it covers any flavor this brew contains.

A bit over carbonated (maybe they could cut back on the sorghum or rice???) as all that bubbly was covering the flavor.

Drinkable yes, would I normally, no. For those who are gluten intolerant, it is something nice to have around. I have noticed that most sorghum beers seem to have a certain sweet twang that is just not expected in beers - DeProef Brouwerij is close but they need to get more of the hop flavor going and possibly a bit less on the sugars (this bottle is labled at 8.5% ABV).

Light yellow to orange with a few bubbles and a very foamy head.

The smell wasn't too strong. sweet malts and a little bit of hops.

Its tastes malty with no real bitterness a very mellow flavour with some spices and a bit of sweetness.

Feels pretty thin in the mouth with a small amount of carbonation.

If I had to drink gluten free beer I wouldn't mind drinking this although I prefer the Greens Dubbel to this.

3.03/5  rDev +3.8%

Reviewed 6/11/2009 (Bottle):

Pours a clear very light golden colored body. Small pure white colored head. Almost looks like apple juice. Very sweet aroma. Sour apples, and grain. Sugar aroma. Grainy taste, some pear. Light taste, hides the alcohol pretty good. Similar to lambic, and also to a Belgian triple.

3.08/5  rDev +5.5%

A - pale copper with a giant thick, dense, white head that has decent retention

S - alcohol, white grapes, grains

T - grains, apples, white grapes, intense boozy alcohol

M - warm, well carbonated, medium bodied

When this beer was cold it was better. As the beer warmed, however, the alcohol became intense and extremely bitey. There was little flavor content or body to stand up to the intense alcohol. I'll avoid this in the future.

3.09/5  rDev +5.8%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into Tulip.

Appearance: Mostly clear but slightly dulled yellow with surprisingly substantial foamy head and lots of lacing.

Smell: Sweet, grainy and adjuncty with some Belgian yeast characteristics of clove and banana.

Taste: Similar to the aroma, it is too sweet and grainy. That said, it has some nice layers of fleshy fruit, banana and clove. Ends with a titch of spicy hops (Styrian?)

Feel: Moderately high carbonation, medium body. Not as dry as a great Tripel, but many American-made Tripels that are not gluten-free are still like this.

Overall: Not bad for gluten-free, but people with gluten issues ultimately would be better served by drinking wine, hard alcohol, cider, etc.

3.1/5  rDev +6.2%

From a bottle at Whole Foods (SC).

Look: Speaking clear body with a weak head.

Unusual aroma and flavor.

Overall: Too sweet and too much like a cider.

3.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a goblet, best before 4/10/15. This pours a light golden color with a fizzy short lived white head. The smells are of belgian yeast esters, sweet malts, banana. The feel is medium to thin with a fizzy carbonation. The taste is okay, pretty sweet almost like an apple juice, a dirty flavor. Its okay, not something I'd get again.

3.13/5  rDev +7.2%

The third in the series of Green's gluten-free beers that are now available in Lexington KY. The Trippel is better than the Amber, but not as flavorful as the Dubbel. Starts off with a crystal clear straw - golden color, with ample carbonation, and a large airy foamstand that shows good staying power. (as with most gluten-free beers, when the head is disturbed, it fades very quickly.) Aromas of pears, apples, and appricots swirl with a syrupy sweetness and an odd fermentation 'twang'. The flavors bring out the same fruits found in the scent, along with an artificial and residual sweetness that is as distracting as benificial. Typical of G.F. (gluten free) beers, the body is void of maltiness, richness, or depth; leaving the beer a bit soul-less and coats the mouth with a cola-like syrup. Finishes clean tasting, but feeling oddly sugary. For gluten-free products, this beer does quite well, it just cannot compete with grain-beer counterparts.

3.14/5  rDev +7.5%

500 mL bottle

This gluten free beer poured a clear, golden color with fizzy carbonation and good, white foam that persisted, clung to the glass, and left lacing. The smell was like sour cherries (not sure if this is the way it is intended to smell?). Not an offensive smell, just surprising. The taste was tart cherries and green apples with very low hop presence and a light sweetness. Very unusual flavors. The mouthfeel was fruity and tart with medium body and strong carbonation. The flavors of grain and fruit linger. This is an odd beer, but I did not pour it out.

3.17/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

I wish that I could remember where I scored this, but it and other G-F beers have been sitting on my kitchen counter awaiting the right time to drink them. I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "Ale made from Millet, Buckwheat, Rice & Sorghum"; "Green's Ales are brewed and bottled by DeProef Brouwerij, Lochristi, Gent, Belgium."

The last (for now, for me) of the Green's G-F beers and I feel much more conversant about them now than I did going in.

I Pop!ped the cap and gave it a heavy pour until it began to foam up and threaten to spill over the sides. It produced two fingers of rocky, tawny head with only moderate retention before it began to fall back into nothingness, leaving nice lacing in its wake. Color was a slightly hazy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose again held the slight sourness of apple vinegar and I have reached the conclusion that if buckwheat is going to be used as a principal ingredient, that scent and flavor will be a by-product. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was like apple jack, that is, home-fermented apple cider. I was inadvertently exposed to this as a child at my maternal grandparent's house and I have never forgotten the flavor. It was tasty and included a slight tartness as from citrus rind. Mmmm. Finish was semi-dry, slightly tart but eminently drinkable. I think that I may have found some recommendations for my former colleague!

3.23/5  rDev +10.6%

My third Green's beer. Not holding much hope it will be good, but it does at least make a pretty pour, with a hazy gold color with a nice thick head on top. Fruity nose, with a touch of citrus tartness. Wow, much better tasting than the other two Green's I've had. It's not good, per se, but it's drinkable. There's a tart, bordering on sour, fruitiness, but there's also noticeable citrus hoppiness which does a good job offsetting the terrible off-flavors.

Probably the best gluten-free beer I've had. Which isn't saying much.

3.25/5  rDev +11.3%

Though I have been disappointed by other Green's offerings, I decided to give this one a try, and I am glad I did.

Color is a clear orangy-amber, nothing special but not off-putting. Aroma is crisp and fruity, more on a cider than a beer, a little sweet but not cloying. Flavor is perky, fruity and a little sour, with a nice alcohol zing; it tastes like a mixture of cider and sake - different, and not in a bad way. Texture is smooth and pleasing, a teensy bit watery but not too shabby.

3.26/5  rDev +11.6%

Tried this on a whim after reading about on the Merchant du Vin website. Why not try a gluten-free beer brewed in a classic belgian style?

App: Frothy white head. Nice deep golden color with perfect clarity, for some reason it seems darker than I expect in tripels. Solid amount of lace.

Great fruity nose. Sour apples, white grapes, and lemon that come from the zesty yeast. A touch of sweet alcohol and grain with just enough hoppiness to round the flavor out. Smells a bit more like a saison, but I'm staying open minded.

Taste and mouthefeel: Wow! Pretty darn good here. All the things I look for in my tripels. A strong fruitiness with a hint of funk. Ends dry with a moderate does of hopes that truly round out this flavor.

I've definitely learned that barley malt is what gives beer the body we love. while the flavors of this beer are great, it's definitely missing some meat, both in body and in flavor. The beer seems to be highly carbonated to make up for the body, but I cannot fault them for that.

Definitely a pretty good tripel! Better than some malt versions I have had. Good for those with gluten intolerance and the occasional change of pace. I will be trying the others, but there definitely is a lot of psychology involved in having a gluten-free beer.

3.3/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: This one has been aged 1 year in a cellar. Semi hazy, golden in appearance, some lace.

Smell: Cider, mint possibly from the hops.

Taste: Apple cider, belgian yeast. Sweet. Somewhat tart. Alcohol hidden well. For a blonde/tripel this tastes more like a dry cider.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, semi dry finish.

Drinkability: Not a typical tripel, but a good beverage. If I had a gluten allergy, this could be a staple.

3.3/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Brilliant gold, with nice clarity and a bit of carbonation. A foamy bone white head has nice staying power and leaves bits of lace.

S: Quite sweet in the nose. Apple cider, pear and white grape aromas do the bulk of the work. A light whiff of alcohol keeps the sweetness in check.

T: The sweetness from the nose carries straight to the flavor. Sweet apple cider is what really stands out. Bitterness is very mild, but does add a touch of coriander spice. Alcohol adds warmth to the finish.

M: The medium body is syrupy and has about the right dose of fizz.

D: The is the best of the gluten free beers that I've had. It doesn't have much of a beer taste to it, but does show that you can do good work with sorghum when you try.

3.35/5  rDev +14.7%

A - Hazy orange/amber with 3 fingers of white sea foam that retain well.

S - Grapes, green apples, candy sugar, hints of bubblegum alcohol, spice, slightly acidic.

T - Tart fruit, green grapes and apples, clean white wine flavors, spicy soft grain on the back of the palate. Sweet middle with some yeast esters mixed in. Dry grassy hops clean up the sweetness on the finish.

M - Smooth and clean body with a fizzy dry finish.

Sweet and clean tartness with a dry fizzy finish. This exceeded my expectation being gluten free. I applaud the brewery for this as it doesn't stack up to a BSPA or a Tripel but has the characteristics without the bready malt. I would drink this if I had an intolerance to gluten.

3.37/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 500ml bottle. Pours a bright, slightly hazy orangish-yellow colour. Plentiful aromas of fruit cocktail. Taste offers sweet notes of fruit candy and fruit cocktail. Light bodied, but bold flavours and a pronounced booziness. Mimics the style fairly well for a gluten-free beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast