2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Green's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale - Green's Gluten Free Beers

Green's Quest Tripel Blonde AleGreen's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale

good

Green's Gluten Free Beers visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Tripel |  8.50% ABV

Brewed and bottled in Lochristi, Gent, Belgium.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2007)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 78 | Reviews: 61 | Show All Ratings:
CookstLiquor

British Columbia (Canada)

3.36/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 500ml bottle. Pours a bright, slightly hazy orangish-yellow colour. Plentiful aromas of fruit cocktail. Taste offers sweet notes of fruit candy and fruit cocktail. Light bodied, but bold flavours and a pronounced booziness. Mimics the style fairly well for a gluten-free beer.

01-06-2014 23:01:47 | More by CookstLiquor
emsroth

3.3/5  rDev +12.2%

Tried this on a whim after reading about on the Merchant du Vin website. Why not try a gluten-free beer brewed in a classic belgian style?

App: Frothy white head. Nice deep golden color with perfect clarity, for some reason it seems darker than I expect in tripels. Solid amount of lace.

Great fruity nose. Sour apples, white grapes, and lemon that come from the zesty yeast. A touch of sweet alcohol and grain with just enough hoppiness to round the flavor out. Smells a bit more like a saison, but I'm staying open minded.

Taste and mouthefeel: Wow! Pretty darn good here. All the things I look for in my tripels. A strong fruitiness with a hint of funk. Ends dry with a moderate does of hopes that truly round out this flavor.

I've definitely learned that barley malt is what gives beer the body we love. while the flavors of this beer are great, it's definitely missing some meat, both in body and in flavor. The beer seems to be highly carbonated to make up for the body, but I cannot fault them for that.

Definitely a pretty good tripel! Better than some malt versions I have had. Good for those with gluten intolerance and the occasional change of pace. I will be trying the others, but there definitely is a lot of psychology involved in having a gluten-free beer.

11-08-2010 03:32:49 | More by emsroth
mjryan

2.03/5  rDev -31%

I saw this beer and thought it would be fun to try, what with all the non tradintional ingredents in it. I was wrong. The apperance isn't all that bad. It has a nice big head and a hazy orange hue that may get your hopes up. The rest is down hill. This beer is more akin to sparkling wine or cider than anything else. Not even good cider or sparkling wine. I suppose if I had an intolerance to gluten I may have a different opinion. But if I did and this beer was my only choice I would rather drink cider or sparkling wine. Maybe my bottle was contaminated. Yuck!

12-29-2007 21:14:24 | More by mjryan
WillieMoe

3.03/5  rDev +3.1%

A- Light orange, fairly heady, with mild haziness. Seems fizzy with high carbonation.

S- The alcohol is very present in the smell,mixed with a pilsner or light lager scent. Actually, if you close your eyes you'd think you were sniffing a pinot grigio. There's also a hint of cider as it warms. Quite a unique and complex aroma.

T&M- The taste is a shock and a half after smelling. It is very sweet, and has a definite cidery feel to it. Gives off an almost sour apple feel to the tongue. Doesn't feel very fizzy or carbonated on the tongue. It is dry, but not very bitter.

D- This is a very complex beer, that seems kind of all over the place. It was not that terrible, but it's not something I would go out of my way to drink or drink on a regular basis.

08-17-2008 17:35:24 | More by WillieMoe
WissBrauSean

4.1/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It pours a clear golden straw, light amber color with a nice two finger sized off-white head of various sized bubbles that leaves a strange Klingon Bird of Prey pattern on the glass! COOL! Nerd Points! the head remains a full beautiful cap throughout the drink as well! Full points on appearance!

The aroma is kind of like like a malty sweet base that meets sour honey and bitter apple in a steel cage match. I was surprised by that but instantly thought that they were going with a sour on this one. There may be a hint of grass-like hops in there, but it's very faint and might be bordering on my imagination.

The taste is quite like cider, but there is a caramel malt type sweetness lurking at it's base. Above it on the surface is like a smooth sour apple with a little bitter on the back of the tounge and a champagne yeast type of ride along the way. It's kind of weird as it starts off sweet and as it moves across the tongue there is a little sour and at the back of the tongue you get bitter (apple) just as how the tongue is set up with sweet at the tip, sour near the back and bitter at the very back. In the middle of the sip there is a creamy caramel-ness that I can't describe. All in all, it's really well balanced and at the very end there is a sense of black pepper and finally, hops!

Unlike other gluten free beers that I have had, this one has just a hint more than a medium mouthfeel, and considering it's peers, it's really full comparatively. It's sweet, but the sour and the bitter do a fair bit of balancing that out, but it tips in the favor of sweet. The carbonation is lively and I am going to go out on a limb and pontificate that the yeast is most likely a champagne yeast. The head remains until the end. If this were a zombie, you would lose because the head must be removed for them to die.

I'm going to go out on another yoga limb and stretch it and say that this is world class. If it is not world class then it is VERY close, but I think it's getting a full score from me. I can't find anything that I don't like about this beer! It's 9% and yet sessionable!

03-06-2013 02:15:33 | More by WissBrauSean
CamuMahubah

Nebraska

4.33/5  rDev +47.3%

Like ginger ale...nice carbonation...champagne anyone...

Crisp apples...

Dry...the deserts do miss the rain...so easy...so easy...very good...this beer is not spot on for a Tripel...it is missing the barley kiss...it's just that the dry apple cider grape punch is so enjoyable...

Ummm mouthfeel is perfecto! Five stars if the right yeast twang was there....

To bad yeast needs barley to eat to have the characteristic pack-a-punch most tripels have...Despite all that I will buy this beer again over and over again!

01-06-2011 07:45:04 | More by CamuMahubah
lancecenter

2.3/5  rDev -21.8%

A - Transparent orange color. Not much head or lacing.

S - Smells just like apple juice/cider.

T/M - Well, tastes much more like an apple cider than a triple. Crisp mouthfeel.

O - These guys make some good gluten free beer, but this isn't one of them. It just doesn't work. I wouldn't even recommend this to somebody with a gluten tolerance. I mean, it's okay, but why would you choose this over an apple cider? Oh yeah, the alcohol. Yeah it hides that well.

10-06-2013 02:21:35 | More by lancecenter
Blindpigbiz

2.54/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Smell: faint herbs, cloves, citrus, and pears

Taste: subtle clementines, herbs (I'm not a cook so I could only tell you this beer tastes like the 'green' ones), and hints of apple cider pervade throughout; heavy rice, bitter oats, and slightly sour gains prevail during each sip

I'm sorry if you have a gluten allergy; this beer doesn't do it for me and it probably won't for you either. Some people may like the taste of sour yeast, oats, and rice but as for yours truly, it's very overbearing and kills the potential it has with some of its other flavors. Maybe if you pair it with a veggie pizza that includes heavy Alfredo sauce it may work

Sorry greens

05-23-2013 06:39:17 | More by Blindpigbiz
cgmees

2.13/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured from 16.9 oz bottle dated best before 11/06/14

Appearance is yellowish with a touch of haze

Smelled a little like cider, slightly gone bad

Taste is not good, could be good for a gluten free beer, but this is the first example I have had and it does not impress me.

Mouth feel is semi fruity with a medium body.

Not a repeatable beer for me

10-16-2010 19:22:01 | More by cgmees
txbrewer

Reading other reviews of cloudy pours, I wonder what is up with the brewery. Mine was quite clear (almost looked and smelled like cider) and very much on the sweet citrus smelling side.

The initial taste is a reminder of apple or pear cider, not what I expected when the label read Tripel Blonde Ale. That being said, it is still quite drinkable. One person commented about the after taste as it warmed - this is true and I would not suggest this be served ice cold as it covers any flavor this brew contains.

A bit over carbonated (maybe they could cut back on the sorghum or rice???) as all that bubbly was covering the flavor.

Drinkable yes, would I normally, no. For those who are gluten intolerant, it is something nice to have around. I have noticed that most sorghum beers seem to have a certain sweet twang that is just not expected in beers - DeProef Brouwerij is close but they need to get more of the hop flavor going and possibly a bit less on the sugars (this bottle is labled at 8.5% ABV).

02-21-2010 16:45:28 | More by txbrewer
Soybomb

3.75/5  rDev +27.6%

First my disclaimer. I'm a beer lover who had to give up beer because of allergies. Finding a gluten free beer thats good seems impossible. My review judges this beer based off that restriction because I don't think you'll ever find a gluten free dogfish head.

First up this beer is expensive. $6-7 for 500ml of beer puts it on the higher end of the gluten free beer scale. I'd like it a lot more if it didn't have that problem.

This beer says its made from millet, rice, buckwheat and sorghum. Its not bad either. I think its pretty generous to call it a tripel. It does fallin at 8.5% abv and is highly carbonated but it ends there.

It looks nice in the glass with a bit of lacing. It can do an ok head. The aroma and taste I have a real hard time pin pointing. It does have some cider characteristics. There's a taste thats best described as tangy in there.... I don't know if my tasting ability is gone since I haven't had real beer in so long or if I just can't describe this..

Overall I like it for a gluten free beer. I think I'd even go so far as to say its the best gluten free beer I've had. It can't hold a candle to fantome's saison, two hearted ale, or rasputin stout but if you have the same cruddy dietary restrictions I do, I think you could do a lot worse. It would probably be my staple gluten free beer if it weren't so expensive.

11-13-2008 01:01:16 | More by Soybomb