Green's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale - Green's Gluten Free Beers

good

Green's Gluten Free Beers visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Tripel |  8.50% ABV

Brewed and bottled in Lochristi, Gent, Belgium.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2007)
View: Beers (12) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale Alström Bros
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.53/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a three finger cream head that fades very slowly, leaving some lace. Nearly clear pale golden amber color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Sweet apple nose. Flavor is sweet apple and cider. Does not taste like a triple. Higher ABV is hidden. Best by Sep 13, 2009. $5.99 for a 500ml bottle from Manchester Wine and Liquors Manchester, CT.

11-16-2009 23:59:39 | More by jdhilt
jujubeast6000

Reviewed 6/11/2009 (Bottle):

Pours a clear very light golden colored body. Small pure white colored head. Almost looks like apple juice. Very sweet aroma. Sour apples, and grain. Sugar aroma. Grainy taste, some pear. Light taste, hides the alcohol pretty good. Similar to lambic, and also to a Belgian triple.

07-11-2009 23:03:00 | More by jujubeast6000
TheMistler

District of Columbia

2.85/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A light golden brown brew, with a white millet-y head. A fair amount, but I'll note that the subdued head belies the amount of carbonation. Not the best retention, but I will note that the lacing - spiderweb - is better than I expected.

Grapey, not without some hints of doughy yeast. Those notes, being much like champagne, combine with an apple juice aroma. Umm... a nicely dry champagne, at least.

Made to resemble champagne by virtue of being carbonated, the taste reminds me of a very dry white wine. Light, white bread malts. Green apple. Finish is tart, dry, with hints of yeast.

Prickly, becoming a wee bit creamy. Overly carbonated - it occasionally seems to run roughshod over the taste - and I wonder if this is actually intentional, to cover what might be considered off flavors. Medium bodied.

07-11-2009 00:24:57 | More by TheMistler
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.2/5  rDev -25.7%

"Life begins as a quest of the child for the man and ends as a journey by the man to rediscover the child."

--Laurens Van der Post

Honey amber with a small splash of orange juice. The head looks better than the beer. It's three full fingers of alabaster colored foam that has more than enough tackiness to plaster the glass with lace. This is the best looking of the Green's beer so far. Trouble is, I know from experience what comes next.

The aroma is kinda... sorta... reminiscent of a tripel. Like the other offerings from these guys, it has a solvent-like quality that is offputting. Think golden orchard fruit soaked in paint thinner, with a whiff of phenolic clove. In the end: barely acceptable.

Quest is probably my favorite (make that 'least unfavorite') Green's Gluten Free Beer to date. That doesn't mean that it's any damn good. Maybe the fact that tripels are one of my favorite styles has something to do with it, who knows?

There's quite a bit of apple fruitiness goin' on. Trouble is, the beer tastes like a mixture of bottom shelf green apple schnapps mixed with turpentine. On second thought, this one is no better than the others. Each sip still makes me grimace and wonder why the hell I spent good money on beer that I knew would be lousy.

Maybe it's my nearly empty stomach, but the acidity and the alcohol is giving me a serious case of gut ache and heart burn. Sorry, but this bottle will be emptied in the end, just not into my glass. On a badly needed positive note, Quest still looks good after multiple pours.

The mouthfeel, although not horrible, is a bit thin for the style. It's also oddly slick, which the others were as well. Truthfully, when beer tastes this bad, the mouthfeel gets lost in the shuffle.

It's hard to believe that gluten-free beer has to taste this foul. I'm sure that barley is far and away the best grain to brew with, but someone somewhere should be able to come up with something decent for those poor souls unfortunate enough to be unable to appreciate the wonders of craft beer.

05-13-2009 12:46:37 | More by BuckeyeNation
biggred1

Indiana

1.23/5  rDev -58.4%

Hazy peach blonde with a foamy white cap that leaves very little lace behind. The smell is more hard cider and mustier that any Belgian triple I have encountered before. The flavor is very much like cheap Italian sparkling wine, fruit forward with an almost cloying sweetness. Sticky and filmy in the mouth with a lot of carbonation gassiness. I'm glad I don't have celiac disease because this "beer" is truly a wretched concoction.

05-08-2009 00:56:05 | More by biggred1
Vancer

1.23/5  rDev -58.4%

Have not had a decent organic brew to-date, and this one again doesn't cut it. AND this freakin' 500ml bottle was $7 - wow, did I get it stuck up my waazoo.

Pours a root beer / amber, with a fast dying tan head. But the aroma - wow, what a nasty mess of turpentine and boozy malt. Most foul smell imaginable. Quaff if not much better, funky overripe fruit and cider. Fizzy with a stinging finish of medicine booze.

I've never drain-poured this will be a challenge. And I've made it though, some how. I really feel for those that gluten free is the only option.

Holy crap, BA lists this as a triple - what a beer abomination.

04-12-2009 18:17:48 | More by Vancer
BradLikesBrew

Missouri

1.68/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Dark Golden body with a large fluffy white head and good retention.

S: Sour apple

T: Green apple, sour apple, apple cider vinegar. Slight tartness.

M: High Carb.

D: Tastes like a mix between hard cider and mead, not a tripel.
If this is the best gluten free can be, then I feel sorry for those suffering from Celiac Disease. Wouldn't want to finish a whole bottle.

03-26-2009 05:21:18 | More by BradLikesBrew
scottoale

3.53/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this one at O'Brien's Pub tonight, bought by a friend...thanks Dave. It poured a shade of yellow gold with a white fizzy foam cap. The head resedes leaving no lace or trace behind. The carbonation looks fine however.

Aromas of Chardonnay, crisp green apple and just plain sweetness fill the nostrils.

The taste is of green apple that turns to Chardonnay, not too sweet and just tart till it warms a bit. In the mid I get a flat out whiskey punch (actual whiskey taste), with the alcohol stepping up as such. It then tapers to a dry and somewhat warming finish.

Light bodied with almost aggressive carbonation, the alcohol seeming bigger than 8.5% in taste and in feel, ending with dryness in the mouthfeel. I do recommend this beer for the experience alone...interesting stuff.

02-22-2009 03:40:16 | More by scottoale
roblowther

2.48/5  rDev -16.2%

Color is right but the head is like soap suds. Golden color & no head retention. The smell has some of the right notes, a bit of apricots up front. But then, that sulphur-molases smell hits me. I'm afraid a little. Taste starts ok, again, some fruit. But then it finishes metallic, sour, bitter, and desert (not dessert) dry. Mouthfeel is about right, with more substance than it looks. Drinkability just isn't there. Again, like the other gluten-free offering I've tried from Green's. I applaud their effort & aspirations. Now I'm going to go have a beer.

02-14-2009 01:06:28 | More by roblowther
MTNboy

Germany

3.48/5  rDev +17.6%

I thought this was a great looking beer. It is blonde orange/brass with a lot of carbonation amber. Beautiful head with great lacing with good retain ability. This beer has a fruity sweet alcohol aroma. It has more of a wine taste to it than a beer taste. It is very dry and somewhat sweet. It is not as bad as I thought it would be. I have not really cared for gluten free beers in the past.

11-21-2008 17:01:04 | More by MTNboy
Cyberkedi

Georgia

3.28/5  rDev +10.8%

Though I have been disappointed by other Green's offerings, I decided to give this one a try, and I am glad I did.

Color is a clear orangy-amber, nothing special but not off-putting. Aroma is crisp and fruity, more on a cider than a beer, a little sweet but not cloying. Flavor is perky, fruity and a little sour, with a nice alcohol zing; it tastes like a mixture of cider and sake - different, and not in a bad way. Texture is smooth and pleasing, a teensy bit watery but not too shabby.

11-17-2008 03:33:39 | More by Cyberkedi
Soybomb

3.75/5  rDev +26.7%

First my disclaimer. I'm a beer lover who had to give up beer because of allergies. Finding a gluten free beer thats good seems impossible. My review judges this beer based off that restriction because I don't think you'll ever find a gluten free dogfish head.

First up this beer is expensive. $6-7 for 500ml of beer puts it on the higher end of the gluten free beer scale. I'd like it a lot more if it didn't have that problem.

This beer says its made from millet, rice, buckwheat and sorghum. Its not bad either. I think its pretty generous to call it a tripel. It does fallin at 8.5% abv and is highly carbonated but it ends there.

It looks nice in the glass with a bit of lacing. It can do an ok head. The aroma and taste I have a real hard time pin pointing. It does have some cider characteristics. There's a taste thats best described as tangy in there.... I don't know if my tasting ability is gone since I haven't had real beer in so long or if I just can't describe this..

Overall I like it for a gluten free beer. I think I'd even go so far as to say its the best gluten free beer I've had. It can't hold a candle to fantome's saison, two hearted ale, or rasputin stout but if you have the same cruddy dietary restrictions I do, I think you could do a lot worse. It would probably be my staple gluten free beer if it weren't so expensive.

11-13-2008 01:01:16 | More by Soybomb
froghop

Washington

pours a clear orange-yellow with a large egg-shell head, lively carbonation, good lacing.

smell is sour, berry, some malt, alcohol.

taste is sour and tart, alcohol, pear, malt, bubble gum, end is very sour and somewhat dry, aftertaste is strange and leaves a weird coating in the mouth.

overall looks are deceiving, stay away from this one unless you are just trying to increase your rating numbers.

09-16-2008 04:06:26 | More by froghop
drpimento

Wisconsin

1.68/5  rDev -43.2%

Hahahahahahaha. The bottle description is a trip! No crustaceans indeed. Poured with almost no head and no lace. My friend Paul said just wait till you try it. Sweet/sour. Definitely not a tripel. Think it might have the beginning of an infection. Thankfully short, mild finish. There was a dark residue of some intergalactic sort under the bottle cap.

09-05-2008 01:38:47 | More by drpimento
zeff80

Missouri

1.7/5  rDev -42.6%

This beers starts good, but rapidly declines. It looked quite good, a nice copper/amber color with a good deal of carbonation. It had a small, fizzy, white head. It smelled of some light caramel malt and a berry-like fruit. The taste was very fruity and reminded me of champagne - but not good champagne. Mouthfeel was too fizzy. This really isn't worth a try unless you truly need gluten-free beer.

08-24-2008 01:43:51 | More by zeff80
WillieMoe

3.03/5  rDev +2.4%

A- Light orange, fairly heady, with mild haziness. Seems fizzy with high carbonation.

S- The alcohol is very present in the smell,mixed with a pilsner or light lager scent. Actually, if you close your eyes you'd think you were sniffing a pinot grigio. There's also a hint of cider as it warms. Quite a unique and complex aroma.

T&M- The taste is a shock and a half after smelling. It is very sweet, and has a definite cidery feel to it. Gives off an almost sour apple feel to the tongue. Doesn't feel very fizzy or carbonated on the tongue. It is dry, but not very bitter.

D- This is a very complex beer, that seems kind of all over the place. It was not that terrible, but it's not something I would go out of my way to drink or drink on a regular basis.

08-17-2008 17:35:24 | More by WillieMoe
DIM

2.15/5  rDev -27.4%

My bottle says this was brewed and bottled in Belgium.

a: This was a pale golden yellow, somewhat hazy. It poured with a big frothy white head that quickly faded.

s: I liked the sour apple smell. Unfortunately there is a strong aroma of artificial sweetener here as well.

t: I've been curious about gluten free beers, so here we go. Big flavors of artificial sweetner and some mild floral hops. Tastes a bit like a wine cooler. You poor glutenless bastards.

m: Decent body and fizzy carbonation.

d: I have a new found respect for gluten. This was about as bad as I've tried.

07-22-2008 10:38:48 | More by DIM
Onslow

1.45/5  rDev -51%

smells of a high octane wheat sake with honey ...first sip..WTF!! .. very sickly sweet and alco driven.. fuckin crazy beer, not what i was expecting, like a ball getting caught in a zipper kind of shock! ... for having 8.5% and really having nothing in it, its OK but shit, it needs a lot of work.. "ladies and gentleman, Mr. Conway Twitty"

07-12-2008 14:49:12 | More by Onslow
twiggamortis420

2.2/5  rDev -25.7%

It's nice to know there are no crustaceans or fish parts in this beer, as the label indicates.

Looks good, good head retention and nice color, if a little light for a tripel. Nose is where this beer heads in the wrong direction. You can smell the rice and sorghum(?).

The taste is pretty much the same, not good but not horrible...at first. As this beer warms the flaws become more apparent and gets downright fruity.

I might have had to pour this one out if I didn't have someone to share this with.

I think I am cutting the beer some slack due to the whole "gluten" free thing...as I kinda feel sorry for people who can't drink regular beer. But if I am not mistaken, isn't Asahi gluten free? I would take an Asahi super dry over this beer any day.

06-30-2008 19:14:56 | More by twiggamortis420
vickersspitfire

2.13/5  rDev -28%

Poured into a goblet, it's a clear medium yellow color and gets darker towards the center and has lots of carbonation, the head was about one finger thick and quickly disappeared, not thinned out but disappeared, but there is a little bit of lacing. This one really smells like soy sauce and granny apples, it's just a weird sour, sweet and salty smell. Its crisp smooth and refreshing- its really bitter over all with just hints of sweetness in it-it has a really thin mouth feel to it... I guess Green's Ales aren't too bad if you don't like wheat, barley, eggs, fish, peanuts, celery, sulphur dioxide, lactose, crustaceans, and sulfites but if all this and more makes the beer taste better than this then please put it all back in.

06-27-2008 06:37:22 | More by vickersspitfire
allengarvin

3.2/5  rDev +8.1%

My third Green's beer. Not holding much hope it will be good, but it does at least make a pretty pour, with a hazy gold color with a nice thick head on top. Fruity nose, with a touch of citrus tartness. Wow, much better tasting than the other two Green's I've had. It's not good, per se, but it's drinkable. There's a tart, bordering on sour, fruitiness, but there's also noticeable citrus hoppiness which does a good job offsetting the terrible off-flavors.

Probably the best gluten-free beer I've had. Which isn't saying much.

06-15-2008 18:51:19 | More by allengarvin
Metalmonk

2.8/5  rDev -5.4%

Contract-brewed in Belgium (by the very capable De Proef) for a UK company. Interesting...especially interesting considering the approach: "Green's Ales DO NOT contain any of the following: Wheat and/or Barley, Crustaceans, Eggs, Fish, Peanuts, Soya beans, Milk, Lactose, Nuts, Celery, Mustard, Sesame Seeds, Sulphur Dioxide and Sulfites". Obviously they're going for beer lovers who suffer allergies. But boy, how could they possibly make a decent beer without eggs or fish?!? Let's see...

Pours a glowing orange-tinted yellow, with legions of bubbles feeding the soapy, sea-foam head. Lace stickage already occurs with the slightest drop of the head.

Smells just like champagne. Tons of green apple and white grape in the nose, plus a little alcohol. Not much else detected. Certainly a novel aroma for any beer. But again: smells just like champagne.

Tastes like champagne too. Crisp Granny Smith apples...lightly tart white grape...bubbly texture. A little spiciness comes into play, a kiss of honey, and some alcohol warming...these are its strongest comparisons to a tripel. There's an odd aftertaste, which is probably just the unusual grain bill (millet, rice, buckwheat, sorghum). It's quite a bit different and much less complex than most tripels I've had...even the bad tripels.

Pretty heavily carbonated, though soft, not at all soda-like. Here again it draws more comparisons to champagne.

There's something interesting here, but it just feels alien. It's a beer made with some unusual stuff, and maybe that's why it doesn't feel "right". Certainly not the kind of sweet, bold, malty, spicy, boozy tripel we know and love. It is absolutely admirable in intent. If I had some allergy that prevented me from drinking beer made of traditional ingredients, there are worse alternatives out there. But unless you're allergic to some or all the above stated ingredients that this is brewed without, you could live without it.

06-11-2008 21:52:43 | More by Metalmonk
geexploitation

Indiana

2.2/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours with a slightly dirty gold color, with a large-bubbled head that shows admirable staying power and some nice lacing. The nose is straightforward and sweet, showing little more than a vaguely fruity, aspartame-sweet smell mixed with some prune jucie. Not too inviting. On the palate, more sweetness, this time of a fruit-juice-with-corn-syrup variety, and a slight astringency toward the end. Mouthfeel is uninspiring -- thin, alcoholic, and harsh. Is this beer the reason you use barley to make beer? Maybe a bit harsh, but there's really not much to recommend here. Pass.

05-23-2008 03:30:39 | More by geexploitation
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

3.65/5  rDev +23.3%

I have no medical reason to drink a gluten-free beer, but what the heck, let's try one anyway.

GLASS: Tripel Karmeliet Goblet
TEMP: Cellared at approx. 50 degrees

This beer looks nice in a glass. It has the color of golden honey. It should be noted that it looks just slightly darker than expected for a Tripel. It pours with a nice thick head that, unfortunately, dissipates all too quickly.

It gives off a nice citrus and yeast smell that leads me back to positive anticipation.

The taste is not quite what was expected from a Tripel, but it is very close. It tastes predominately of peaches and nectarines. It has a slight taste of honeyed apples on the back end of it. In between lays an unknown tanginess and something that almost tastes too sweet for this glass.

It does feel good in the mouth, as a good beer should. There is nothing to make you think that you're missing some ingredient.

I would say, as someone who is not concerned about gluten content, that this would be a good beer to enjoy every now and then (like once or twice a year). Just to be used as something to throw into the mix to break up the regular routine.

If you are someone who must maintain a gluten-free diet, you would be hard pressed to find a beer with better flavor than this, at this point in time, anyway. In the realm of Tripels, this is in the middle of the pack. I've definitely had better, but i've certainly had worse.

05-14-2008 22:32:31 | More by coldmeat23
PEBKAC

3.68/5  rDev +24.3%

This might have been on sale. I can't remember where it came from or if someone brought it over. Hiding in the fridge behind many things that should have been thrown out by now, it's time to start playing the guessing game & get down to some overdue spring cleaning. ... Well damn, the bottle says best by 2009. There goes my will to clean anything soon. Still feel like a drink though. :)

Pours out a hazy straw color with a very strong soda-like fizz coming off as the head develops.

Fumes of ethanol, lemon-honey, & something a lot like hard cider.

Flavors are just macerated in alcohol & honey. The 8.5% content feels more like 12%. Light clove, white bread, apple & lemon peels, apricot, & a dry woody/grainy finish closing things out.

The alcohol is big distraction, but the mouthfeel is very mellow, & helps distract just slightly from the harshness. The carbonation is low, but I feel it suits the taste just fine.

After researching the price, I don't think this one is coming back too soon. Though regardless if it's a gluten-free beer or not, just as a beer, it's pretty good. :)

04-20-2008 22:57:53 | More by PEBKAC