Green's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale - Green's Gluten Free Beers

good

Green's Gluten Free Beers visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Tripel |  8.50% ABV

Brewed and bottled in Lochristi, Gent, Belgium.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-20-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Green's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale Alström Bros
2.13/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured from 16.9 oz bottle dated best before 11/06/14

Appearance is yellowish with a touch of haze

Smelled a little like cider, slightly gone bad

Taste is not good, could be good for a gluten free beer, but this is the first example I have had and it does not impress me.

Mouth feel is semi fruity with a medium body.

Not a repeatable beer for me

3.83/5  rDev +29%

Poured from 500mL bottle into a tulip. Bottle says best before 1/2/13, so we're well in the clear.

Appearance: rich orange hue with just a touch of haze and lots of apparent effervescence. Three fingers of pillowy ivory head caps the experience. Not too bad at all.

Smell: rich pear and green apple aroma with a bit of an alcohol bite. Actually, quite a nice tripel aroma; thus far, I would not have guessed gluten-free.

Taste: bright green apple with a bit of pear and a little bit of a chalky taste, which I rather like. Now for the bad stuff: there's a bit of diacetyl in the aftertaste which I don't love, and the green apple is a bit too bright and tart right at the front. Still, it's not bad, and I will have to go with the brewers on this: to me, this is definitely more of a tripel than a BSPA.

Mouthfeel: medium-thick body with plenty of viscosity and a well-integrated carbonation. Tripelriffic, in my opinion.

Drinkability: despite a few flaws with the flavor, I rather quite enjoy Green's Quest. It is far and away the best gluten-free beer I've ever had. I'm not sure why it get such a slamming here, because this beer deserves to be given a chance.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: This one has been aged 1 year in a cellar. Semi hazy, golden in appearance, some lace.

Smell: Cider, mint possibly from the hops.

Taste: Apple cider, belgian yeast. Sweet. Somewhat tart. Alcohol hidden well. For a blonde/tripel this tastes more like a dry cider.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, semi dry finish.

Drinkability: Not a typical tripel, but a good beverage. If I had a gluten allergy, this could be a staple.

3.63/5  rDev +22.2%

Beer review from BA Mag Sep 2007.

We never thought we would ever see a gluten-free Tripel--talk about a niche within a niche.

Very quick to foam up with a white-colored head, a slow crackle shows the head dissipating into a patchy lace that sticks to the glass. Crystal-clear dull golden color--a trained eye can see a hue unlike what malted barley yields. Big pungent grainy lemony aroma that is clean and fresh. Crispness rides over the top as in any true Tripel, and moderate body is a little slick up front. There's a thick kernel of grain to start off, a bit sweet and slightly coarse. Mineral notes, exotic fruit and a faint woodiness show levels of complexity. Minimal hops, suggestions of white wine from a mild tartness and more graininess form an interesting but uncommon flavor profile. Fruity esters and warm alcohol come in the finish with more grain.

Beer geeks, be warned. Gluten-free beer is a new frontier; to compare a beer like this to other Belgian Tripels is wrong. That said, it's certainly complex and worth a try--an absolute must if you have gluten issues.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Brilliant gold, with nice clarity and a bit of carbonation. A foamy bone white head has nice staying power and leaves bits of lace.

S: Quite sweet in the nose. Apple cider, pear and white grape aromas do the bulk of the work. A light whiff of alcohol keeps the sweetness in check.

T: The sweetness from the nose carries straight to the flavor. Sweet apple cider is what really stands out. Bitterness is very mild, but does add a touch of coriander spice. Alcohol adds warmth to the finish.

M: The medium body is syrupy and has about the right dose of fizz.

D: The is the best of the gluten free beers that I've had. It doesn't have much of a beer taste to it, but does show that you can do good work with sorghum when you try.

3.13/5  rDev +5.4%

500 mL bottle

This gluten free beer poured a clear, golden color with fizzy carbonation and good, white foam that persisted, clung to the glass, and left lacing. The smell was like sour cherries (not sure if this is the way it is intended to smell?). Not an offensive smell, just surprising. The taste was tart cherries and green apples with very low hop presence and a light sweetness. Very unusual flavors. The mouthfeel was fruity and tart with medium body and strong carbonation. The flavors of grain and fruit linger. This is an odd beer, but I did not pour it out.

1.93/5  rDev -35%

label says this is a tripel. let's hope it doesn't suck as much as the dubbel.

pours out of the half litre bottle a hazy apple juice colour with a weak, thin, quickly dissapating head. very sparse lace. white grapes, pears and apples in the aroma. quite subdued. taste is a wince inducing conspiracy of champagne, apple juice and sour pears. yikes. it tastes like a bad bottle of champagne...with some dirt thrown in. a bit boozy, too. yikes. it does get a bit closer to style with a semi carbonated, crispy mouthfeel but the body is totally lacky any depth which proves to make is seem watery and lifeless. drinkability is terrible. ugh this is bad.

ok so this sucks worse than the dubbel. it has some wretched taste in the grain profile that totally ruins any slight positives in the brewing of this beer. again, my scores are on the nice side.

3.4/5  rDev +14.5%

It is not a bad beer perse, but it isn't one that I see myself being excited about. For such a strong beer it has a watery finish. Taste is like a watery cider, smell is very fruity. The beer pour orangeish brown with a thick white head slow to fade away. Overall this beer is pretty strong though not very satisfying, not sure I would want to drink many of these.

Reading other reviews of cloudy pours, I wonder what is up with the brewery. Mine was quite clear (almost looked and smelled like cider) and very much on the sweet citrus smelling side.

The initial taste is a reminder of apple or pear cider, not what I expected when the label read Tripel Blonde Ale. That being said, it is still quite drinkable. One person commented about the after taste as it warmed - this is true and I would not suggest this be served ice cold as it covers any flavor this brew contains.

A bit over carbonated (maybe they could cut back on the sorghum or rice???) as all that bubbly was covering the flavor.

Drinkable yes, would I normally, no. For those who are gluten intolerant, it is something nice to have around. I have noticed that most sorghum beers seem to have a certain sweet twang that is just not expected in beers - DeProef Brouwerij is close but they need to get more of the hop flavor going and possibly a bit less on the sugars (this bottle is labled at 8.5% ABV).

1.63/5  rDev -45.1%

Ok, so lets acknowledge that there is a place for gluten free beers - for those who can't digest it, I imagine a product like this is a treat.

Reviewing against a "gluten full" beer though, this is just awful.

Pours very cloudy like amber with virtually no foam. Ok so far. Smells of light citrus - not bad, surely not great. Hints of apples.

The taste is absolutely horrible. Like sour, rotten apples, blended with a lemon. Some kind of bad hop backbone.

Lingering sour bittr aftertaste. Truly bad. This went down the drain.

3.53/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a three finger cream head that fades very slowly, leaving some lace. Nearly clear pale golden amber color. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Sweet apple nose. Flavor is sweet apple and cider. Does not taste like a triple. Higher ABV is hidden. Best by Sep 13, 2009. $5.99 for a 500ml bottle from Manchester Wine and Liquors Manchester, CT.

Reviewed 6/11/2009 (Bottle):

Pours a clear very light golden colored body. Small pure white colored head. Almost looks like apple juice. Very sweet aroma. Sour apples, and grain. Sugar aroma. Grainy taste, some pear. Light taste, hides the alcohol pretty good. Similar to lambic, and also to a Belgian triple.

2.85/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A light golden brown brew, with a white millet-y head. A fair amount, but I'll note that the subdued head belies the amount of carbonation. Not the best retention, but I will note that the lacing - spiderweb - is better than I expected.

Grapey, not without some hints of doughy yeast. Those notes, being much like champagne, combine with an apple juice aroma. Umm... a nicely dry champagne, at least.

Made to resemble champagne by virtue of being carbonated, the taste reminds me of a very dry white wine. Light, white bread malts. Green apple. Finish is tart, dry, with hints of yeast.

Prickly, becoming a wee bit creamy. Overly carbonated - it occasionally seems to run roughshod over the taste - and I wonder if this is actually intentional, to cover what might be considered off flavors. Medium bodied.

2.2/5  rDev -25.9%

"Life begins as a quest of the child for the man and ends as a journey by the man to rediscover the child."

--Laurens Van der Post

Honey amber with a small splash of orange juice. The head looks better than the beer. It's three full fingers of alabaster colored foam that has more than enough tackiness to plaster the glass with lace. This is the best looking of the Green's beer so far. Trouble is, I know from experience what comes next.

The aroma is kinda... sorta... reminiscent of a tripel. Like the other offerings from these guys, it has a solvent-like quality that is offputting. Think golden orchard fruit soaked in paint thinner, with a whiff of phenolic clove. In the end: barely acceptable.

Quest is probably my favorite (make that 'least unfavorite') Green's Gluten Free Beer to date. That doesn't mean that it's any damn good. Maybe the fact that tripels are one of my favorite styles has something to do with it, who knows?

There's quite a bit of apple fruitiness goin' on. Trouble is, the beer tastes like a mixture of bottom shelf green apple schnapps mixed with turpentine. On second thought, this one is no better than the others. Each sip still makes me grimace and wonder why the hell I spent good money on beer that I knew would be lousy.

Maybe it's my nearly empty stomach, but the acidity and the alcohol is giving me a serious case of gut ache and heart burn. Sorry, but this bottle will be emptied in the end, just not into my glass. On a badly needed positive note, Quest still looks good after multiple pours.

The mouthfeel, although not horrible, is a bit thin for the style. It's also oddly slick, which the others were as well. Truthfully, when beer tastes this bad, the mouthfeel gets lost in the shuffle.

It's hard to believe that gluten-free beer has to taste this foul. I'm sure that barley is far and away the best grain to brew with, but someone somewhere should be able to come up with something decent for those poor souls unfortunate enough to be unable to appreciate the wonders of craft beer.

1.23/5  rDev -58.6%

Hazy peach blonde with a foamy white cap that leaves very little lace behind. The smell is more hard cider and mustier that any Belgian triple I have encountered before. The flavor is very much like cheap Italian sparkling wine, fruit forward with an almost cloying sweetness. Sticky and filmy in the mouth with a lot of carbonation gassiness. I'm glad I don't have celiac disease because this "beer" is truly a wretched concoction.

1.23/5  rDev -58.6%

Have not had a decent organic brew to-date, and this one again doesn't cut it. AND this freakin' 500ml bottle was $7 - wow, did I get it stuck up my waazoo.

Pours a root beer / amber, with a fast dying tan head. But the aroma - wow, what a nasty mess of turpentine and boozy malt. Most foul smell imaginable. Quaff if not much better, funky overripe fruit and cider. Fizzy with a stinging finish of medicine booze.

I've never drain-poured this will be a challenge. And I've made it though, some how. I really feel for those that gluten free is the only option.

Holy crap, BA lists this as a triple - what a beer abomination.

1.68/5  rDev -43.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A: Dark Golden body with a large fluffy white head and good retention.

S: Sour apple

T: Green apple, sour apple, apple cider vinegar. Slight tartness.

M: High Carb.

D: Tastes like a mix between hard cider and mead, not a tripel.
If this is the best gluten free can be, then I feel sorry for those suffering from Celiac Disease. Wouldn't want to finish a whole bottle.

3.53/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this one at O'Brien's Pub tonight, bought by a friend...thanks Dave. It poured a shade of yellow gold with a white fizzy foam cap. The head resedes leaving no lace or trace behind. The carbonation looks fine however.

Aromas of Chardonnay, crisp green apple and just plain sweetness fill the nostrils.

The taste is of green apple that turns to Chardonnay, not too sweet and just tart till it warms a bit. In the mid I get a flat out whiskey punch (actual whiskey taste), with the alcohol stepping up as such. It then tapers to a dry and somewhat warming finish.

Light bodied with almost aggressive carbonation, the alcohol seeming bigger than 8.5% in taste and in feel, ending with dryness in the mouthfeel. I do recommend this beer for the experience alone...interesting stuff.

2.48/5  rDev -16.5%

Color is right but the head is like soap suds. Golden color & no head retention. The smell has some of the right notes, a bit of apricots up front. But then, that sulphur-molases smell hits me. I'm afraid a little. Taste starts ok, again, some fruit. But then it finishes metallic, sour, bitter, and desert (not dessert) dry. Mouthfeel is about right, with more substance than it looks. Drinkability just isn't there. Again, like the other gluten-free offering I've tried from Green's. I applaud their effort & aspirations. Now I'm going to go have a beer.

3.48/5  rDev +17.2%

I thought this was a great looking beer. It is blonde orange/brass with a lot of carbonation amber. Beautiful head with great lacing with good retain ability. This beer has a fruity sweet alcohol aroma. It has more of a wine taste to it than a beer taste. It is very dry and somewhat sweet. It is not as bad as I thought it would be. I have not really cared for gluten free beers in the past.

3.28/5  rDev +10.4%

Though I have been disappointed by other Green's offerings, I decided to give this one a try, and I am glad I did.

Color is a clear orangy-amber, nothing special but not off-putting. Aroma is crisp and fruity, more on a cider than a beer, a little sweet but not cloying. Flavor is perky, fruity and a little sour, with a nice alcohol zing; it tastes like a mixture of cider and sake - different, and not in a bad way. Texture is smooth and pleasing, a teensy bit watery but not too shabby.

3.75/5  rDev +26.3%

First my disclaimer. I'm a beer lover who had to give up beer because of allergies. Finding a gluten free beer thats good seems impossible. My review judges this beer based off that restriction because I don't think you'll ever find a gluten free dogfish head.

First up this beer is expensive. $6-7 for 500ml of beer puts it on the higher end of the gluten free beer scale. I'd like it a lot more if it didn't have that problem.

This beer says its made from millet, rice, buckwheat and sorghum. Its not bad either. I think its pretty generous to call it a tripel. It does fallin at 8.5% abv and is highly carbonated but it ends there.

It looks nice in the glass with a bit of lacing. It can do an ok head. The aroma and taste I have a real hard time pin pointing. It does have some cider characteristics. There's a taste thats best described as tangy in there.... I don't know if my tasting ability is gone since I haven't had real beer in so long or if I just can't describe this..

Overall I like it for a gluten free beer. I think I'd even go so far as to say its the best gluten free beer I've had. It can't hold a candle to fantome's saison, two hearted ale, or rasputin stout but if you have the same cruddy dietary restrictions I do, I think you could do a lot worse. It would probably be my staple gluten free beer if it weren't so expensive.

pours a clear orange-yellow with a large egg-shell head, lively carbonation, good lacing.

smell is sour, berry, some malt, alcohol.

taste is sour and tart, alcohol, pear, malt, bubble gum, end is very sour and somewhat dry, aftertaste is strange and leaves a weird coating in the mouth.

overall looks are deceiving, stay away from this one unless you are just trying to increase your rating numbers.

1.68/5  rDev -43.4%

Hahahahahahaha. The bottle description is a trip! No crustaceans indeed. Poured with almost no head and no lace. My friend Paul said just wait till you try it. Sweet/sour. Definitely not a tripel. Think it might have the beginning of an infection. Thankfully short, mild finish. There was a dark residue of some intergalactic sort under the bottle cap.

1.7/5  rDev -42.8%

This beers starts good, but rapidly declines. It looked quite good, a nice copper/amber color with a good deal of carbonation. It had a small, fizzy, white head. It smelled of some light caramel malt and a berry-like fruit. The taste was very fruity and reminded me of champagne - but not good champagne. Mouthfeel was too fizzy. This really isn't worth a try unless you truly need gluten-free beer.

Green's Quest Tripel Blonde Ale from Green's Gluten Free Beers