Green's Amber Ale - Green's Gluten Free Beers

Green's Gluten Free Beers visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: velosuds on 10-01-2011

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 38 | Reviews: 12
2.95/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I wish that I could remember where I scored this, but it and other G-F beers have been sitting on my kitchen counter awaiting the right time to drink them. I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "Ale made from Millet, Buckwheat, Rice & Sorghum"; "Green's Ales are brewed and bottled by DeProef Brouwerij, Lochristi, Gent, Belgium."

I Pop!ped the cap and commenced a fairly heavy-handed pour which created three fingers of dense, puffy, deep-tan head that slowly fell, leaving great lacing in its wake. Color was a slightly hazy Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17). Nose had a now-familiar sour sweetness, what I have been likening to molasses, but which I now believe to have come from the buckwheat. Buckwheat pancakes are definitely an acquired taste and I can understand why an average of 53 raters have given it a score of "Poor", but I have a different mindset. Mouthfeel was medium with a lot of carbonation. Taste was sharp and cheesy and for a second, I thought of Cheddar Cheese! It is definitely an oddball, but if you like Gueuzes, then this may be of interest to you. I am not sure that I would recommend it to a G-F drinker, but it was not downright poor. The finish left a bittersweet taste in my mouth and I was back to thinking about molasses. What a strange beer! Poor? No way, but definitely not for everyone.

3.06/5  rDev -7%

3.01/5  rDev -8.5%

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

1.8/5  rDev -45.3%

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%

3.44/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

500 ML bottle
Served in an imperial nonic glass

A - It is tea colored with some amber highlights. It is capped with three inches of tan head that actually leaves some nice lacing. The head settles down to less than an inch of dense foam.

S - The first thing that comes to mind is cider. I get a definite apple smell.

T - The taste also is of apple cider. but not as defined as the smell. There is a sharp hop bitterness that cuts the apple taste off.

M - Medium leaning towards full.

O - I have not had many gluten free beers, so I am not familiar with their characteristics. That being said, I thought this was an interesting beer. I actually liked it. If I go gluten free I will revisit. Until then I'm good.

2.08/5  rDev -36.8%

Color- woody amber. Full head.

Aroma- brown sugar and hint of hops. T

aste- a lackluster brew. Starts malty and yeasty, moving to a lightly sugared middle, finishing poorly on an acidic tinny and hoppy note. I shouldn't have bought a gluten free beer.

Poured from 500 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Purchased at Whole Foods in North Austin. Tasted June 2014.

3.5/5  rDev +6.4%

3.75/5  rDev +14%

2.5/5  rDev -24%

2.5/5  rDev -24%

4.25/5  rDev +29.2%

2.23/5  rDev -32.2%

The beer smelled nutty with some hints of caramel. The beer poured well with nice head and an amber color. The mouth feel is very light, and I thought there would be more flavor. This beer also had a strange aftertaste that was not pleasant. I find that gluten-free beers lack a lot of flavor due the restriction of certain grains that can be used.

3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

My first of many reviews to come, now that I believe I have a gluten allergy.
Being a beer lover for many years, I am rating this only in a gluten beer category as I would likely buy none of them if I had no allergy.
I was hopeful on initial appearance, pour, and head. Looked too good to be true. It was.
Had a strange aftertaste I don't know that I experienced before. My main issue was its sweet taste.
I was optimistic also it being from Belgium and bottle conditioned.
Not a repeater.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Green's Amber Ale from Green's Gluten Free Beers