Green's Amber Ale - Green's Gluten Free Beers

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews by gleemonger:
4.5/5  rDev +38.9%

3.34/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Thick reddish color with a very light brown head that's almost lumpy, I loved the fact that in no way did this beer resemble a light American lager. Very drinkable but almost to the point of being bland with the light tastes of fruits and graininess being almost lost. Kind of reminded me of a washed out Trappist's beer.

3.4/5  rDev +4.9%

4.95/5  rDev +52.8%

My comparison is only with other gluten-free beers as that is all I can drink. In that regard, this beer is outstanding. It is without exception, the best G.F. beer I've ever had. It has a real head on it when poured and it tastes like regular beer. Wonderful stuff!

It's made in Belgium.

3.26/5  rDev +0.6%

A - dark amber, thin off white head, great retention

S- baked apples, faint caramel

T - granny smith apples, caramel, faint yeast

M - medium bodied, smooth, crisp

For a sorghum based beer, this isn't all that bad. It's not as sweet as others that I've had. The apple flavor isn't very enjoyable to me, but overall it's not that bad.

4.02/5  rDev +24.1%

Green's Amber Ale - one of the many beers I randomly grabbed for New Year's Eve. I never had a gluten free beer before so it is worth a shot!

Appearance - A sparkling amber color that is right with its name! Nothing special but a good looking beer

Smell - a crisp smell a semi sweet hops. I can't detect much else but it doesn't need much more.

Taste - Great taste! I never have would expected this amber ale would have a simple yet clean taste. A good medium hoppy flavor hits and then fades into carbonation.

Mouthfeel - A love a good carbonation to match a great flavor and this one is right. The clean tastes ends with a clean carbonation.

Overall - this surprise beer will be bought again. I still need to find out what gluten is and why I am glad that this beer has none.

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

My first of many reviews to come, now that I believe I have a gluten allergy.
Being a beer lover for many years, I am rating this only in a gluten beer category as I would likely buy none of them if I had no allergy.
I was hopeful on initial appearance, pour, and head. Looked too good to be true. It was.
Had a strange aftertaste I don't know that I experienced before. My main issue was its sweet taste.
I was optimistic also it being from Belgium and bottle conditioned.
Not a repeater.

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

3.21/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.44/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

500 ML bottle
Served in an imperial nonic glass

A - It is tea colored with some amber highlights. It is capped with three inches of tan head that actually leaves some nice lacing. The head settles down to less than an inch of dense foam.

S - The first thing that comes to mind is cider. I get a definite apple smell.

T - The taste also is of apple cider. but not as defined as the smell. There is a sharp hop bitterness that cuts the apple taste off.

M - Medium leaning towards full.

O - I have not had many gluten free beers, so I am not familiar with their characteristics. That being said, I thought this was an interesting beer. I actually liked it. If I go gluten free I will revisit. Until then I'm good.

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is relatively clear reddish amber in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high off white head that died down, leaving lacing on the surface and the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of black cherries and sorghum are present in the nose.
T: The taste is similar to the smell, except that the flavors of black cherries and sorghum are a bit stronger, the latter of which lingers through the finish.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Compared to many of the other gluten-free beers that I've had, this isn't overly difficult to drink because the sorghum flavors are somewhat balanced off by the fruity notes of cherries.

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

4.25/5  rDev +31.2%

3.34/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

2.08/5  rDev -35.8%

Color- woody amber. Full head.

Aroma- brown sugar and hint of hops. T

aste- a lackluster brew. Starts malty and yeasty, moving to a lightly sugared middle, finishing poorly on an acidic tinny and hoppy note. I shouldn't have bought a gluten free beer.

Poured from 500 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Purchased at Whole Foods in North Austin. Tasted June 2014.

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

3.76/5  rDev +16%

Not sure if this is already listed. The label indicates "Product of Belgium." Here is a video that shows the label I am looking at in the first 20 seconds - posted just so you can see what I am enjoying:

A- From a 500ml bottle poured into a clear pint glass. Best by 13/12/15 (international dating). Paid $5.95 at Life Source Natural Foods in Salem, OR.

This is the best gluten free beer I have tried. Current estimates indicate 5 to 10% of the American population has some sort of intolerance to gluten. I may be among them. If so, my quest for gluten free beer is earnest. My next homebrew recipe (16th batch) may be an attempt at gluten free. So far I have had Estrella Damm Daura - good for a lager, and would be preferred to wine or distilled liquor if I confirm I am gluten intolerant; I have also had New Grist - no thank you; and Bard's Original Sorghum Malt Beer - didn't review since may have been old.

A-Pours a dark amber with a full two finger head with great retention and copious lacing. Could even go 4.5 on appearance.

S-More hoppy than malty which is atypical. There is an apparent Belgian yeast presence which is pleasant. I may be imagining this from the "Product of Belgium" label. Smell is lacking for the amber style since the grain bill, being gluten free, includes no barley. I wonder what malting companies could do with these other, non-gluten grains if there was more demand.

T-Is surprisingly good and in accordance to style. I regret I only bought one bottle, but the price is a bit more than I want to pay. But it gives me hope I can brew something similar. From the taste I couldn't tell this was brewed without barley. Very malty and appropriately rich with a nice hop balance.

M-Good to very good. Not like the thin mouthfeels of the other gluten free beers.

O-The best gluten free beer I have enjoyed. Actually quite surprising given the lack of malting of non-barley gluten free grains. In fact, this is the best gluten free ale I have had and read about.

Editorial comment: I would like a separate category for gluten free beers. GABF has had a separate category for about 5 years now but still very limited entries in competition (under 20). I think it is commendable for the breweries trying to simulate beer styles and compete with barley based beers, but presently the playing field is uneven due to the barley based predisposition.

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%

1.8/5  rDev -44.4%

2.95/5  rDev -9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I wish that I could remember where I scored this, but it and other G-F beers have been sitting on my kitchen counter awaiting the right time to drink them. I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "Ale made from Millet, Buckwheat, Rice & Sorghum"; "Green's Ales are brewed and bottled by DeProef Brouwerij, Lochristi, Gent, Belgium."

I Pop!ped the cap and commenced a fairly heavy-handed pour which created three fingers of dense, puffy, deep-tan head that slowly fell, leaving great lacing in its wake. Color was a slightly hazy Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17). Nose had a now-familiar sour sweetness, what I have been likening to molasses, but which I now believe to have come from the buckwheat. Buckwheat pancakes are definitely an acquired taste and I can understand why an average of 53 raters have given it a score of "Poor", but I have a different mindset. Mouthfeel was medium with a lot of carbonation. Taste was sharp and cheesy and for a second, I thought of Cheddar Cheese! It is definitely an oddball, but if you like Gueuzes, then this may be of interest to you. I am not sure that I would recommend it to a G-F drinker, but it was not downright poor. The finish left a bittersweet taste in my mouth and I was back to thinking about molasses. What a strange beer! Poor? No way, but definitely not for everyone.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast