Green's Amber Ale - Green's Gluten Free Beers

Green's Amber AleGreen's Amber Ale

Green's Gluten Free Beers visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

American Amber / Red Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: velosuds on 10-01-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by jayfolly:
jayfolly

Georgia

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%

01-30-2013 22:33:33 | More by jayfolly
Shoreman

4.95/5  rDev +46.4%

My comparison is only with other gluten-free beers as that is all I can drink. In that regard, this beer is outstanding. It is without exception, the best G.F. beer I've ever had. It has a real head on it when poured and it tastes like regular beer. Wonderful stuff!

It's made in Belgium.

07-17-2012 16:21:06 | More by Shoreman
tdm168

3.23/5  rDev -4.4%

A - dark amber, thin off white head, great retention

S- baked apples, faint caramel

T - granny smith apples, caramel, faint yeast

M - medium bodied, smooth, crisp

For a sorghum based beer, this isn't all that bad. It's not as sweet as others that I've had. The apple flavor isn't very enjoyable to me, but overall it's not that bad.

05-26-2012 17:36:32 | More by tdm168
TownDunkel

4.03/5  rDev +19.2%

Green's Amber Ale - one of the many beers I randomly grabbed for New Year's Eve. I never had a gluten free beer before so it is worth a shot!

Appearance - A sparkling amber color that is right with its name! Nothing special but a good looking beer

Smell - a crisp smell a semi sweet hops. I can't detect much else but it doesn't need much more.

Taste - Great taste! I never have would expected this amber ale would have a simple yet clean taste. A good medium hoppy flavor hits and then fades into carbonation.

Mouthfeel - A love a good carbonation to match a great flavor and this one is right. The clean tastes ends with a clean carbonation.

Overall - this surprise beer will be bought again. I still need to find out what gluten is and why I am glad that this beer has none.

01-01-2012 04:56:34 | More by TownDunkel
rewible

3.08/5  rDev -8.9%

My first of many reviews to come, now that I believe I have a gluten allergy.
Being a beer lover for many years, I am rating this only in a gluten beer category as I would likely buy none of them if I had no allergy.
I was hopeful on initial appearance, pour, and head. Looked too good to be true. It was.
Had a strange aftertaste I don't know that I experienced before. My main issue was its sweet taste.
I was optimistic also it being from Belgium and bottle conditioned.
Not a repeater.

08-06-2013 05:34:11 | More by I_heart_beer
buschbeer

3.43/5  rDev +1.5%

500 ML bottle
Served in an imperial nonic glass

A - It is tea colored with some amber highlights. It is capped with three inches of tan head that actually leaves some nice lacing. The head settles down to less than an inch of dense foam.

S - The first thing that comes to mind is cider. I get a definite apple smell.

T - The taste also is of apple cider. but not as defined as the smell. There is a sharp hop bitterness that cuts the apple taste off.

M - Medium leaning towards full.

O - I have not had many gluten free beers, so I am not familiar with their characteristics. That being said, I thought this was an interesting beer. I actually liked it. If I go gluten free I will revisit. Until then I'm good.

08-07-2014 23:19:05 | More by buschbeer

2.75/5  rDev -18.6%

07-27-2014 03:30:52 | More by stumac
utfiero

2.06/5  rDev -39.1%

Color- woody amber. Full head.

Aroma- brown sugar and hint of hops. T

aste- a lackluster brew. Starts malty and yeasty, moving to a lightly sugared middle, finishing poorly on an acidic tinny and hoppy note. I shouldn't have bought a gluten free beer.

Poured from 500 ml bottle into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Purchased at Whole Foods in North Austin. Tasted June 2014.

06-28-2014 22:32:43 | More by utfiero
JohnK17

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

08-11-2014 21:53:23 | More by JohnK17
velosuds

Oregon

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Not sure if this is already listed. The label indicates "Product of Belgium." Here is a video that shows the label I am looking at in the first 20 seconds - posted just so you can see what I am enjoying:

A- From a 500ml bottle poured into a clear pint glass. Best by 13/12/15 (international dating). Paid $5.95 at Life Source Natural Foods in Salem, OR.

This is the best gluten free beer I have tried. Current estimates indicate 5 to 10% of the American population has some sort of intolerance to gluten. I may be among them. If so, my quest for gluten free beer is earnest. My next homebrew recipe (16th batch) may be an attempt at gluten free. So far I have had Estrella Damm Daura - good for a lager, and would be preferred to wine or distilled liquor if I confirm I am gluten intolerant; I have also had New Grist - no thank you; and Bard's Original Sorghum Malt Beer - didn't review since may have been old.

A-Pours a dark amber with a full two finger head with great retention and copious lacing. Could even go 4.5 on appearance.

S-More hoppy than malty which is atypical. There is an apparent Belgian yeast presence which is pleasant. I may be imagining this from the "Product of Belgium" label. Smell is lacking for the amber style since the grain bill, being gluten free, includes no barley. I wonder what malting companies could do with these other, non-gluten grains if there was more demand.

T-Is surprisingly good and in accordance to style. I regret I only bought one bottle, but the price is a bit more than I want to pay. But it gives me hope I can brew something similar. From the taste I couldn't tell this was brewed without barley. Very malty and appropriately rich with a nice hop balance.

M-Good to very good. Not like the thin mouthfeels of the other gluten free beers.

O-The best gluten free beer I have enjoyed. Actually quite surprising given the lack of malting of non-barley gluten free grains. In fact, this is the best gluten free ale I have had and read about.

Editorial comment: I would like a separate category for gluten free beers. GABF has had a separate category for about 5 years now but still very limited entries in competition (under 20). I think it is commendable for the breweries trying to simulate beer styles and compete with barley based beers, but presently the playing field is uneven due to the barley based predisposition.

10-01-2011 04:17:44 | More by velosuds

2.75/5  rDev -18.6%

07-12-2014 19:35:57 | More by NappyB
bluemoose3

3.3/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance- brownish-amber with lots of frothy head, which leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell- very mild. Some maltiness. I keep going back to try to pick up more scents, but there's not much here.

Taste- sweet and fruity, but not overpowering. Some bitterness and almost artificial sweetness in the aftertaste. Reminiscent of dates or dried figs.

Mouthfeel- not too thin, with some carbonation. Clean and drinkable.

Overall- This was my first gluten-free beer, and while I may not buy it for myself again, I think I will recommend it both the people who have issues with gluten, and to my vegan friends (the label clearly states the ingredients and promises no crustaceans, eggs, fish, or lactose). This beer is easy to drink and refreshing. Something in the aftertaste is offputting to me, but I can see this beer having wide appeal as a gluten-free option.

01-25-2012 02:52:46 | More by bluemoose3
srandycarter

3.1/5  rDev -8.3%

An interesting beer from Belgium. I bought it at Costco, hoping for something incredible. Instead, I got mediocre. Nice clear dark amber, plenty of white head and tons of cling lace. Head dries up to ring eventually.

Smell is a bit antiseptic. Sharp, acrid. A little musky too.

Taste is average. A little overly malty, but not a bad beer, per se.

Mouthfeel is good carb, fair balance, medium body.

Not one I would ever buy again, but if I was in the market for a gluten free...

01-11-2013 04:18:23 | More by srandycarter
UstickM

2.19/5  rDev -35.2%

The beer smelled nutty with some hints of caramel. The beer poured well with nice head and an amber color. The mouth feel is very light, and I thought there would be more flavor. This beer also had a strange aftertaste that was not pleasant. I find that gluten-free beers lack a lot of flavor due the restriction of certain grains that can be used.

04-20-2013 18:40:43 | More by UstickM