Kick-Ass Brown - C.H. Evans Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

C.H. Evans Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-19-2002)

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to Sponberg for the growler!

A: Lightly hazing (maybe from the chill) mahagony brown body. Tight oatmeal colored head stayed at 1/4 for quite a while. Its reduced to a quality thick ring around the glass and foamy patches across the top.

S: Immediately the amarillo hops jumped out at me. Nutty and slightly roasted.

T: Acorny sweetness begins but doesnt get the limelight for long. A solid bitter burst wash crosses the tongue immediately with flavors of tangerine and grapefruit. Slight tastes of powdered hot chocolate and syruped pancake with strawberries flirt with the palate. Ends with a slight rosemary sour twang.

M: Quality mouthfeel. Medium body with good carbonation. Not prickly yet not flat. Leaves a bit of a coat on the tongue.

D: Remarkable how well it held up in the growler. I was definately stoked when I popped the top. Bit bitter to be a true session beer but as it warms the sweetness begins to prevail.

2.25/5  rDev -43.6%

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from tap into a pint glass at the pump station

A- a dark as midnight look with an off white head. Head was good but quickly dissolves

S- coffee and toffee. And lots of nuts. Some earthy hop scents

T- wow! An unexpected citrus hops hit! The coffee theme still dominates. This is a real unexpected blend of good themes. The flavor is still sweet

M- medium bodied and creamy

D- this is a delicious combiination of flavors in a brew. This is so yummy! Why won't they bottle this?!? A great beer to try when out here

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

A dark brown ale with amber highlights. Has a creamy tan head. There is a deliciously inviting floral hop aroma. The taste starts with a nice hop sharpness. The following interplay between the hops and malt back and forth ends in a well balanced finish. One of the best brown ales you can try.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Sampled 06/30/06. Review from notes.

Rated best American Brown Ale at the Great American Beer Fest 2002, 2002.

A: Pours a reddish dark brown color with a half finger off white head. Decent lace.
S: Huge floral hop presence, which I was not expecting, but definitely liked. Slight maltyness behind the hops. This is one odd Brown Ale.
T/M: Huge grapefruit and pine hop notes up front. Only huge because this is a brown ale and I wasn’t expecting it. Good caramel malt backbone to compliment the hops—As I wrote that I though, shouldn’t this be the other way around? Smooth mouthfeel that bites a tad as its going down. Good bitterness. Well balanced and medium bodied. A tad more hops than malts--who am I kidding, a lot more hops than malts..
D: Highly drinkable beer, but beware if you’re looking for your ordinary brown ale. This is not your ordinary brown ale. I was very pleased that I ordered this as I don’t usually like browns, but it surpassed it’s billing as one “Kick Ass Brown.”

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This is probably my favorite brews at the Pump Station, The brew pours to a nice dark brown color with not much of a head. The aromas from it are very hoppy with some roasted malt tones. The taste is superb; I could drink a afternoon away with this brew! Have always been surprised at the hop it has but seems to be balanced perfectly with the roasted malt flavors. One wish is that it would be a bit heavier/thicker. Can’t wait for my next experience, would love to try it on cask sometime!

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Appearance: Deep ruby brown, I can barely see my hand through it without holding the glass up the the light.

Smell: Earthy hop aroma with hints of darker malts.

Taste: Amazing, this is my kind of brown ale. Nice and hoppy, with a strong malt backbone. I can taste the Amarillo hops for sure, and they accent the malts surprisingly well.

Mouthfeel: This sat in the growler for five days after my most recent trip to Albany, but the carbonation has held up perfectly.

Drinkability: I could drink this all the time, I wish I could get it local. My girlfriend bought me the first growler for my birthday and I will definatly be filling it up whenever I'm in Albany.

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

The appearance is ruby brown with a mocha brown head. Through head shrinks, the lace is magnified. Thick and murky.

The smell is heavy resiny pine of a thick IPA. Some earthy malts but the brown is overwhelmed. Dynamite. Evolves as it warms up, with more nutty malts emerging.

The taste is a major pine and oak. As it warms, that nutty brown malts peeks its head out, sweetening the pot a bit. It's really fantastic.

The feel is thick, milky and creamy, like chocolate milk. This is a rich, deep beer. When it warms up to room temp, it is world class.

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

64 oz growler poured into my bruery tulip. Thanks to naproxen for the hook up.

A: Deep brown color. Not much head comes from the pour, but it does leave a thin collar. No lacing to speak of.

A: Very hop forward nose for a brown ale. I get notes of chocolate, slight roast, and citrus hops.

T: Again, surprisingly hoppy. Chocolate malt notes and citrus. I get a bit of a metallic taste toward the back end. It finishes dry and somewhat sweet with no hint of the abv.

M: good levels of carbonation, medium body.

O: A different take on the style and one I am glad I got to try. I think I prefer the more malty browns, but this is a nice departure from what I'm used to.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

On tap at the Pump Station in Albany. This is apparently their flagship brew, and has numerous awards from various beer festivals. Was definitely quite good, and went well with my ribs! Very hoppy for a brown -- Americans seem to like making brown ales this way (tangy, hoppy, light bodied) instead of the more traditional English style (malty, nutty, oily). Tasted more like a slightly toasted pale ale than a brown, but I still really enjoyed it. Definitely sessionable.

Kick-Ass Brown from C.H. Evans Brewing Company