2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kick-Ass Brown - C.H. Evans Brewing Company

Kick-Ass Brown
No picture uploaded.

C.H. Evans Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-19-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 79 | Reviews: 41 | Show All Ratings:
waughbrew

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A chocolate color, darker than mahogany. Small off-white head, tight lacing. Smells of floral hops, sweet candy malt, and chocolate. The flavor is a grand balance of malt and hops. Strong toasty munich malt flavor, chico-ish neutral yeast, and high alpha American hops. Lingering earthy toasty grain. Clean yet present bitterness. Very medium body = good drinkability and good feel.

Definitely one of the best brown ales that I have had. The only thing lacking in this one is some yeast character. Great beer!

08-06-2006 22:45:30 | More by waughbrew
Gtreid

3.5/5  rDev -14%

64 oz growler poured into my bruery tulip. Thanks to naproxen for the hook up.

A: Deep brown color. Not much head comes from the pour, but it does leave a thin collar. No lacing to speak of.

A: Very hop forward nose for a brown ale. I get notes of chocolate, slight roast, and citrus hops.

T: Again, surprisingly hoppy. Chocolate malt notes and citrus. I get a bit of a metallic taste toward the back end. It finishes dry and somewhat sweet with no hint of the abv.

M: good levels of carbonation, medium body.

O: A different take on the style and one I am glad I got to try. I think I prefer the more malty browns, but this is a nice departure from what I'm used to.

12-29-2011 21:44:30 | More by Gtreid
UDbeernut

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

from my notes, tasted at the Pump Station in Albany, poureinto a pint

a: nice tan color, nice off white head with good retention

s: nut and citrus hop, mild caramel

t: nut and caramel on the tip pierced by citrus hoppyness. Deffinatly a nice take on the brown ale

m: medium bodied, slightly drying and sticky

o: excellent beer!

07-29-2011 18:57:49 | More by UDbeernut
sponberg

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The appearance gets average marks only because the cask was still settling. The brewer was warning us all about hop chunks, but none found their way into my glass - what did find its way was an astoundingly quaffable American brown ale just loaded with hop character. The distinct smell of fresh hops dominated the aroma. The flavor started out with a full frontal spicy, citric, bitter hop assault, with a creamy (gotta love cask!) slightly roasty malt backbone that balanced things out beautifully. The finish was bitter but not astringently so. I've had it on tap and enjoyed it, but the cask version floored me.

Cask conditioning absolutely shows off this two-time GABF winner in its best light. They usually put a cask on on Friday evenings - definitely worth a trip. Many thanks to brewer George DePiro for hauling this one out on Saturday afternoon to slake the thirst of a couple of BAs.

Edit, 5/5 - No cask for a while. Yet on tap this beer just keeps getting better.

Serving type: cask

01-21-2003 12:21:41 | More by sponberg
iceball585

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

A- Dark brown/black color, non-transparent, thin head that lowered quickly to a thin ring

S- Caramel malts, sweet, citrus, light flowery hops auroma

T- Earthy, citrus hops, grassy, dark malts, brown sugar, fairly sweet

M- Medium body, medium carbonation, smooth, clean, oily finish

D- Worth getting again

More hoppy than your average American Brown ale but still worth trying if you get the chance.

03-11-2009 01:26:33 | More by iceball585
BeerForMuscle

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

A - Deep brown body with a sticky creamy head. Big head with great retention.

S - The nose holds all you would want from a brown ale. A robust nose with scents of bitter, toasted, roasted, a nutty components.

T - A big deep flavor profile with tons of roasted nut. Bitter yeasty brown bread. Toasted nuts again with a faint mocha addition.

M - Robust, deep and drying. Finishes like an Irish dry stout.

O - This beer has depth and complexity and is very well rounded. Closer to a solid porter in my opnion.

09-04-2011 22:43:44 | More by BeerForMuscle
Shiredave

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

On tap at The Country Inn. A goodly brown color with a sparse off white head and steady carbonation. Aroma of caramel and some citrus is light and doesnt instantly indicate a brown ale.
Body is light to medium as it warms with a very different kind of toffee sweetness that blends excellently with sharp hop flavors.Smooth and creamy mouth feel.
Finish is also a mix of earthy hop and tasty toffee. Highly drinkable and a fine beer with Big flavor w/out being heavy or highly alcoholic. Next to other ales named for thier brown color, this one stands out.

11-03-2003 04:17:18 | More by Shiredave
PBoegel

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

A clear favorite of mine from the core line of ales on tap at the Pump Station. Big malt flavors mingle with an intense American hop profile, with notes of grapefruit, light pine, pineapple and hints of lemon zest.

Mix it up with the nachos w/jalapeños or some chili and then a pump station burger.

Then finish up with a second pint and let those zesty American hops clean the palate.

01-12-2008 13:46:37 | More by PBoegel
bultrey

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

Amended on 11-17-06: I'm not changing the scores for this, because it's still a great beer. But I can no longer claim it is the best brown ale I've ever had. See: Brownstone, Sixpoint.

Original review 8-22-05: The best brown ale I've ever had, though almost not really a brown ale -- more like an IPA brewed with dark malts.

OK, so the color is a gorgeous deep mahogany, as a brown ale should be, with an attractive light tan head. But when you smell this, you start to understand that this will be no ordinary brown ale. Leafy, herbaceous hops leap out at you, along with the slightest caramel-tinged malt aroma.

This is a hop-lover's wet dream, as I'm sure any hophead that bothers to drink a brown ale would want it to be like this. I have to believe it is dry-hopped. Leafy, marijuana-like herbaceousness smacks you upside the head, along with sharp cheddar cheese. Then the slightly burned toffee and caramel notes leap in, trying to subdue the hops, but the hops won't be outdone. But instead of attacking again and crushing the malt, the two peacefully co-exist and make a perfectly balanced beer. Long snappy hop finish with enough roastiness to pair up with the caramalized sugars that might be on a nice grilled steak. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. I could sit here and drink this all night in spite of their several other tremendous offerings. That's how good it is.
Kick-ass indeed. Please God let me try this on cask someday...

08-22-2005 15:50:37 | More by bultrey
stercomm

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

In Albany on a business trip and stumbled upon The Albany Pump Station. Obviously had on tap

A-Dark brown with a slight tan finger head, slight lacing

S-Getting lots of roasted malts, some spice and caramel

T-Nice taste, get lots of roasted malt along with a nice hoppiness that gives this beer a nice bitterness on the finish.

M-Medium bodied, slight carbonation.

O-A very well balanced beer brewed locally. Very subtle but good

06-17-2012 01:35:23 | More by stercomm
johnniemarg

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

I picked up a growler of this on my way through town on the wasy to Saratoga Springs. I had it earlier in the year when I was in Albany and it was awesome. Made the stopover this time just for this beer.

Pours a murky reddish brown with an inch of head. Leaves sheets of blotchy lacing all over the glass.

The smell is piny hops and sweet, malty molasses. The hops smell great and caught me off guard the first time I had this because you don't expect that from a brown ale.

The taste is malty brown sugar, piny hops, there is some kind of a woody quality and it leaves me with a maple aftertaste. The sweeter typical bown ale flavors are great and all, but it's the huge helping (relatively) of hops that make this beer. This is friggin' tasty.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy. The hops give it a prickly quality in the mouth.

This is far and away the best brown ale I've ever had. Awesome session beer. Perfect balance.

08-05-2006 19:50:59 | More by johnniemarg
renegadeburger

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

first beer i get to try while visiting the albany pump station heard great things about this place decided to take a slight detour while spending time upstate

poured out deep red almost like a chestnut brown into my sample glass i asked for a small sampler glass so i could inspect the beer better

aroma was really awesome i smelt lots of burnt or roasted malts in there also some coffee smell and even almonds and cherries too

same in the taste the beer has wonderful balance but you could not get any hops in the nose but now you get the hops in force in the taste this is a really great brown ale

great creamy mouthfeel this beer is really good i think i need to get a growler of it to go for the weekend

07-05-2011 00:10:18 | More by renegadeburger
soultrain

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

Sampled on-tap in a very, very dimly lit beer bar in the middle of nowhere (Krumville, NY.) Pint glass. Notes would have been better but I feel funny writing when people are lookin' at me as I do so...

A-I can barely see this beer, but it's a reddish dark amber? Excellent looking 1/2" beige head, lace is excellent...all down my pint glass.
S-This is a brown ale? Most IPA-ish scents leap into my nostrils. Maybe they brought me the wrong beer. Nope, it's correct; and it's CORRECT. Hop extravaganza for a brown ale, damn, I feel lucky to have stumbled into this beer...Hops are either tons of cascade or amarillo....maybe both.
T-MMM...lip smackingly delicious. Kick-ass brown is right. Tons of hops here, and I picked this beer by blind luck. Real nice bitterness cut through my burger with gorgonzola like a ginsu knife. I really like this beer.
Good malts flavor as well, though I keep lovin' the hops. I can't say it's balanced for most people, but for me it's perfect.
M-Perfect for the style. Light medium mouthfeel. In a beer bar with 500 choices, I had 3 of these....I couldn't help it!
D-Supreme drinkability. After one of these there is only one option: more, please! I'd love to have this beer in bottled form chilled in the DBF right now; it'd be a definate go-to beer for all occasions for me, the IPA lover!

CRUX: BEST BROWN ALE I EVER HAD. KICK-ASS INDEED! Highly recommended. Please bottle this soon! !

06-23-2006 00:54:02 | More by soultrain
MTMugs

2.53/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Another Albany Pump Station that looks great, tastes...tastes like water. But this time there were some flavors - a little ester-y. Pass on this one.

06-19-2002 11:45:10 | More by MTMugs
oldpinecone

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Served on tap..

: Poured into pint glass it was a nice brown accorn color with subpar head. It smelled a bit nutty with mild undertone of a citrus for some reason. The taste was great it a nutty, earthy and delicious. It was a bit too carbonated, not what i expected. A drinkable beer to throw back with your buddies.

07-07-2009 17:28:21 | More by oldpinecone
JTBacon

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%

This is a really satisfying Brown ale. Hold on, let me start over. This is a fantastic and excellent Brown ale. Having never been to the Albany Pump Station, I happened to be there a week ago for a pre-wedding something. While the wedding stuff was happening, I was able to sit at the bar and enjoy a handful of these vessels of delicious. Goes well with an hearty meal, with its own abudance of hearty. I no little about the Brewing Company, but I have had my share of beers and this one ranks competitively with the best. Very enjoyable and I am very impressed with this American Brown.

Enjoy!