Kick-Ass Brown - C.H. Evans Brewing Company

rAvg: 4
C.H. Evans Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

American Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-19-2002)
sliverX

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

04-07-2012 22:11:58 | More by sliverX
phishbone23

2.25/5  rDev -43.8%

01-23-2013 14:39:50 | More by phishbone23
civicm87

11-22-2013 19:00:54 | More by civicm87
lovindahops

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from tap into a pint glass at the pump station

A- a dark as midnight look with an off white head. Head was good but quickly dissolves

S- coffee and toffee. And lots of nuts. Some earthy hop scents

T- wow! An unexpected citrus hops hit! The coffee theme still dominates. This is a real unexpected blend of good themes. The flavor is still sweet

M- medium bodied and creamy

D- this is a delicious combiination of flavors in a brew. This is so yummy! Why won't they bottle this?!? A great beer to try when out here

05-09-2010 01:31:59 | More by lovindahops
scotv

10-25-2013 12:20:22 | More by scotv
ybnorml

Rhode Island

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

A dark brown ale with amber highlights. Has a creamy tan head. There is a deliciously inviting floral hop aroma. The taste starts with a nice hop sharpness. The following interplay between the hops and malt back and forth ends in a well balanced finish. One of the best brown ales you can try.

09-13-2004 19:47:22 | More by ybnorml
bjohnson

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Sampled 06/30/06. Review from notes.

Rated best American Brown Ale at the Great American Beer Fest 2002, 2002.

A: Pours a reddish dark brown color with a half finger off white head. Decent lace.
S: Huge floral hop presence, which I was not expecting, but definitely liked. Slight maltyness behind the hops. This is one odd Brown Ale.
T/M: Huge grapefruit and pine hop notes up front. Only huge because this is a brown ale and I wasn’t expecting it. Good caramel malt backbone to compliment the hops—As I wrote that I though, shouldn’t this be the other way around? Smooth mouthfeel that bites a tad as its going down. Good bitterness. Well balanced and medium bodied. A tad more hops than malts--who am I kidding, a lot more hops than malts..
D: Highly drinkable beer, but beware if you’re looking for your ordinary brown ale. This is not your ordinary brown ale. I was very pleased that I ordered this as I don’t usually like browns, but it surpassed it’s billing as one “Kick Ass Brown.”

07-05-2006 00:44:09 | More by bjohnson
NightINgale

Russian Federation

04-26-2014 20:53:02 | More by NightINgale
Stimack

4.38/5  rDev +9.5%

This is probably my favorite brews at the Pump Station, The brew pours to a nice dark brown color with not much of a head. The aromas from it are very hoppy with some roasted malt tones. The taste is superb; I could drink a afternoon away with this brew! Have always been surprised at the hop it has but seems to be balanced perfectly with the roasted malt flavors. One wish is that it would be a bit heavier/thicker. Can’t wait for my next experience, would love to try it on cask sometime!

03-31-2004 02:44:18 | More by Stimack
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

Appearance: Deep ruby brown, I can barely see my hand through it without holding the glass up the the light.

Smell: Earthy hop aroma with hints of darker malts.

Taste: Amazing, this is my kind of brown ale. Nice and hoppy, with a strong malt backbone. I can taste the Amarillo hops for sure, and they accent the malts surprisingly well.

Mouthfeel: This sat in the growler for five days after my most recent trip to Albany, but the carbonation has held up perfectly.

Drinkability: I could drink this all the time, I wish I could get it local. My girlfriend bought me the first growler for my birthday and I will definatly be filling it up whenever I'm in Albany.

01-27-2006 01:59:17 | More by ericj551
williamherbert

4.22/5  rDev +5.5%

The appearance is ruby brown with a mocha brown head. Through head shrinks, the lace is magnified. Thick and murky.

The smell is heavy resiny pine of a thick IPA. Some earthy malts but the brown is overwhelmed. Dynamite. Evolves as it warms up, with more nutty malts emerging.

The taste is a major pine and oak. As it warms, that nutty brown malts peeks its head out, sweetening the pot a bit. It's really fantastic.

The feel is thick, milky and creamy, like chocolate milk. This is a rich, deep beer. When it warms up to room temp, it is world class.

06-10-2009 03:59:05 | More by williamherbert

fishguyac

12-26-2013 17:36:46 | More by fishguyac
Gtreid

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

64 oz growler poured into my bruery tulip. Thanks to naproxen for the hook up.

A: Deep brown color. Not much head comes from the pour, but it does leave a thin collar. No lacing to speak of.

A: Very hop forward nose for a brown ale. I get notes of chocolate, slight roast, and citrus hops.

T: Again, surprisingly hoppy. Chocolate malt notes and citrus. I get a bit of a metallic taste toward the back end. It finishes dry and somewhat sweet with no hint of the abv.

M: good levels of carbonation, medium body.

O: A different take on the style and one I am glad I got to try. I think I prefer the more malty browns, but this is a nice departure from what I'm used to.

12-29-2011 21:44:30 | More by Gtreid

02-25-2013 16:52:54 | More by phingdong
crwills

Ontario (Canada)

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

On tap at the Pump Station in Albany. This is apparently their flagship brew, and has numerous awards from various beer festivals. Was definitely quite good, and went well with my ribs! Very hoppy for a brown -- Americans seem to like making brown ales this way (tangy, hoppy, light bodied) instead of the more traditional English style (malty, nutty, oily). Tasted more like a slightly toasted pale ale than a brown, but I still really enjoyed it. Definitely sessionable.

04-25-2007 02:17:18 | More by crwills
waughbrew

4.45/5  rDev +11.3%

A chocolate color, darker than mahogany. Small off-white head, tight lacing. Smells of floral hops, sweet candy malt, and chocolate. The flavor is a grand balance of malt and hops. Strong toasty munich malt flavor, chico-ish neutral yeast, and high alpha American hops. Lingering earthy toasty grain. Clean yet present bitterness. Very medium body = good drinkability and good feel.

Definitely one of the best brown ales that I have had. The only thing lacking in this one is some yeast character. Great beer!

08-06-2006 22:45:30 | More by waughbrew