Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.) - Ipswich Ale Brewery

Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.)Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.)

Ipswich Ale Brewery visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-07-1998)
View: Beers (34) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.) Alström Bros
DavidHamilton

07-14-2012 01:19:00 | More by DavidHamilton
v161

06-21-2012 22:29:39 | More by v161
brunop

4.95/5  rDev +29.6%

may be my favorite beer of all.

pours dark for an ipa. almost portery in appearance.

big hops aroma and taste. though not a citrussy hops. very bitter (in a good way).

i believe all of ipswich's beers are brewed on location in ipswich. i know the ipa we get here in boston is.

this is my daily beer. a classic new england ipa. makes me glad to live less than a 2 hour bicycle ride from the brewery!

01-05-2009 19:26:32 | More by brunop
JasonCoop

4.93/5  rDev +29.1%

pours an almost opaque amber. very very cloudy, somewhat reddish.

smells like sweet fruity hops mainly. a little bit citrusy.

taste is very hoppy with sweet fruit on the side. very rich flavor for an IPA. smooth and somewhat creamy in body.

goes down very smooth and easily drinkable. one of my favorite american IPAs.

Ipswich growlers are the shit!

01-08-2006 10:07:48 | More by JasonCoop
Wamesit

4.9/5  rDev +28.3%

A- Pours a hazy golden orange. Thick head settles down to a firm finger. Incredible lacing.

S- There is a citrusy hops aroma that mixes with a rich, nutty maltiness.

T- Outstanding. Bitter hops is the dominant flavor but there is a piney richness that balances the very pointed hops strength. The citrus element is specifically grapefruit and adds to the enjoyment from beginning to end.

M- Medium. Very rich. Downright lush.

D- Incredibly drinkable. Despite a heavier mouthfeel and solid IPA bitterness, the balanced flavor and the exquisite citrus element makes this not only one of my favorite IPAs but also one of the most drinkable.

11-21-2010 03:09:38 | More by Wamesit
PJKSR02

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +27%

This is not a beer your girlfriend will like. But if she does, marry her!

A couple times a year, I head to an island in New England, and have to choose which beer to bring. Invariably, it comes down to Ipswich IPA versus Smuttynose IPA, "Finestkind." These are readily available in 12-packs, at reasonable prices.

If anyone has another suggestion, let me know!

07-26-2011 23:22:20 | More by PJKSR02
TonyC

4.85/5  rDev +27%

A nice local offering. Proudly brewed in Ipswich, proudly being consumed in Saugus.

A: A very hazy dark orange-amber color, with a very nice white head that settles into a decent lace after every sip.

S: A definite citrusy hops aroma that dominates.

T: A good upfront hops flavor that though it does dominate, but does have a sweetness to it. Very appealing to the palate, and leave you with a tang on your tongue.

M: Crisp and tangy, and very easy to drink.

O: An excellent beer period. Excellent with seafood, or a top quality steak, or with the simple fare of an Summertime BBQ, or just alone by itself.

This is one of my "Old Faithfuls". Whenever I am standing in front of the beer coolers at my local store, and can't decide on something, I grab an Ipswich.

05-28-2012 03:08:43 | More by TonyC
billybob

4.78/5  rDev +25.1%

i like the labeling on the bottle but it says guaranteed fresh and local but do not see a freshness date? looks good in the glass with a very cloudy orange/amber color and two finger beige head. good head retention and nice sticky lace follows the beer to the botton of the glass. aroma fruity with notes of fresh citrus present. malty, grainy, sweet, bready taste nice hop balance slightly tart and bitter finish. full body mouthfeel, grainy, chewy but smooth going down. ipa not my favorite style but this one was very good.

06-29-2009 16:13:02 | More by billybob

JoeRonan4

07-10-2014 01:13:01 | More by JoeRonan4
jbertsch

4.68/5  rDev +22.5%

Realizing that I've never had Ipswich's IPA, thought I'd give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised.

This pours an attractive and hazy brew, dark orange in color. Quite opaque. The aroma is great, with bright grassy hops, and orange citrus. The aroma comes through on the tongue, plus a little lemon. I love its leafy earthiness. It does have a little something extra on the sweet side that tries to balance the bittnerness, but make no mistake,this is on the bitter hoppy side....pleasantly.

The citrus affects the mouthfeel nicely, and the carbonation is solid. For an IPA (not my favorite style) drink-ability is very high. I had 2 quickly.

I realized once I got to the bottom of my glass that I may have a new favorite IPA on my hands. At the moment I couldn't think of many others I like better, except for maybe Dogfish's 90-minute.

05-07-2010 02:09:14 | More by jbertsch
roan22

4.58/5  rDev +19.9%

This beer is not available in Pennsylvania, and if I happen to be in a New Jersey beer store, I usually pick up a sixer since this beer is a consistently-made quality IPA [and I can get pretty much everything else in my own state].

Appearance: a reddish amber hazy IPA with tiny floaty particles. Excellent appearance..massive off white head poured, and halfway down the pint, the head is still there.

Aroma: I pick out sweet caramel maltiness, strong citrus hops and boozey note.

Taste/mouthfeel: taste starts out with a toasted, crusty pumpernickel bready kind-of-a-malt taste, then melds into delicious, really bitter, puckery bite from the hops [I'd guess centennial..]. Then there is a brief note of smoked wood chips, and finally a rich peppery, yet butterscotchy finish [which is HOT, as in sexy, at least on my tongue!].

Drinkablity gets a 5. Well done Mercury Brewing Company. Jersey beer stores, you'll have a loyal PA customer for life, if you keep stocking this beer..cheers!

PS-I predict this beer might get a cult following..its kind of the "new" Tuppers Hop Pocket Ale. Almost dead on with it in terms of taste.

02-08-2009 08:43:48 | More by roan22
dippy

4.55/5  rDev +19.1%

I love this brew.

Pours a reddish orange copper color with a head of tight-knit bubbles. A little cloudy, which I like.

Reeks of hoppy goodness. Some fruit as well.

This is an IPA all the way, strong on the hops but not overwhelmingly so. The malt is there in the background to keep the brew from being one dimensional.

A medium bodied brew and a perfect IPA.

Great beer for anytime , for anything.

04-20-2004 18:31:51 | More by dippy
Brewzzle

Australia

4.53/5  rDev +18.6%

Most of the IPA's I have had are all about the hops. This is one which is beautifully rounded, all the good stuff is there in the proper proportions.

Poured from the growler it is a little hazy in the glass but with a nice firm head which lasts the whole glass. Apart from holding together as well balanced beer I would say my favourite aspect is the bold body and wonderful mouthfeel. You can really taste the malt and the hop aroma is also well defined. I found the hop bitterness a little high for my liking but I think it works well.

Top class all the way, this is a fave.

03-04-2003 15:35:45 | More by Brewzzle
edchicma

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance is a nice coppery gold. Head dissipated rapidly, but a nice lacy appearance remained down the sides.

Taste "bites" you at first with strong hop quality. Leaves a rich, full bodied character after the initial bite. Aftertaste is a "tang"on back of tongue with a smoother feel on the upper palate...a nice balance.

Smell lets you know you are about to be hit with some tangy hops.
Frankly, it took me quite some time to appreciate strong hops (I used to drink the bland macro brews), but over time I have come to appreciate the nice balance a brew like this offers.

Drinkabilty is very good...and what you would expect...not a beer to guzzle, but to savor. Definitely recommend.

05-30-2003 15:47:31 | More by edchicma

Georgia

12-12-2012 19:08:59 | More by DerekCarruth
Amalak

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

This was my first ever cask and I loved it. This IPA was opaque, Brown/red in color. Definitely a lot of sediment to it. Decent head and good lace. Smells like nut. Solid IPA to start.

A lot colder than I thought it would be. This was truly excellent. A lot of sediment and flavor. Full bodied. I've never had the Ipswich regular, so maybe it is always great, but out of the cask it was so rich and enjoyable.

I am a huge, huge fan.

Serving type: cask

10-30-2007 03:00:17 | More by Amalak
abgba121

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

A: pours a light amber color with a strong inch of head and lots of lace

S: dry hoppiness, very piney and a slight malt sweetness

T: Strong dry bitter and slightly sweet with a lingering hop finish

M: medium body and carbonation

O: A great take on the IPA, a must have

07-15-2011 21:15:49 | More by abgba121
noyellowfizzbeer

02-19-2012 16:39:39 | More by noyellowfizzbeer
rabidawg

Georgia

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Wow. Bought a sixer of this without knowing much about it. No disappointment here.

Appearance: Massive head. I mean, huge. Creamy white, it settled slowly into a rocky, uneven cap that just never left. Semi-cloudy golden-amber. Definitely was a significant amount of yeast in the bottom of the bottle, but careful pour kept most of it out of my mug.

Smell: Lots of citric hops, of course, but a lot more malt aroma than I would have expected. Sweet bready, yeasty notes, too.

Taste: Definitely feel the cascades after the swallow, but the malt balances the hop crispness nicely. This beer, to me, is proof that an IPA doesn't have to be huge to be enjoyable. Well-balanced, in a way no American IPA I've ever had has been. Highly recommended.

05-21-2003 18:49:20 | More by rabidawg
klink40

One of my top 10 beers!

I'd have to say this is one of my favorite IPA's primarily b/c it was one of the first IPA's that got me into loving IPA's. I has a highly intense hop aroma with a smooth mouth feel and somehow always a fresh "wet-hop" feel (even though it's not).

Ipswich makes a great beer and they are very consistent with their quality over the years.

10-02-2010 01:33:49 | More by klink40