Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.) - Ipswich Ale Brewery

Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.)Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.)

Ipswich Ale Brewery visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-07-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.) Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -60.6%

1.75/5  rDev -54.1%

1.8/5  rDev -52.8%

Hazy, sediment laced burnt orange color. Nose is grapefruit and pine. Nice mouthfeel but so bitter on the back of my tounge that I couldn't finish the bottle (didn't want to). Another reviewer described this taste as "charred vinyl". Now I've never tasted burnt 33 LP's but I'm imagining this is what they taste like. Did I just get a bad batch? I don't get it.

2.08/5  rDev -45.4%

Pours a four finger, cream head that fades to a thin layer leaving some lacing. Cloudy amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Strong hoppy nose. Starts with the hops in your face, hints of malt in the background, lingering bitter aftertaste - true to IPA style but not my style. $1.85 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma. Bottled in March 2005.

2.25/5  rDev -40.9%

2.3/5  rDev -39.6%

pours hazy dark copper orange with an off white head that had good retention and faded to a small film that left lacing down the glass

smells of spicy grassy earthy hops and a little caramel malt

taste has quite a bit of grapefruit mixed in with the earthy spicy hops - i do not pick up on any malts

mouthfeel - medium body low carbonation - rather boring

overall - this beer might have been reasonably priced but the flavor is not there and i will not be buying this again

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%

2.55/5  rDev -33.1%

Thanks to TheManiacalOne for allowing me to try several East Coast IPAs...I have been drinking a lot of West Coast IPAs, and wanted a nice change in flavors (also was interested in seeing how the geographical differences affected the same style beer).

The pour was nice and it revealed a mahogany hue with smallish cream colored head. The aroma of malty crispness filled my nose, and left with a faint smell of hops. I would have expected more hop aroma to this IPA. Am I too used to IPAs from the West Coast? Perhaps!
The taste at first was malty, had slight hop flavor, then the aftertaste came...this is where it turned ugly. The aftertaste was way bitter, and not in a good way. I just could not get past the lingering bitter tartness in the aftertaste. I have to admit after a lot of forceful trying, I just could not finish this beer.

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Somewhat reluctantly trying another of these Ipswich brews. This one pours a clear sunset bronze topped by a finger of dirty cream-white foam. The nose comprises grapefruit peel, orange zest, buttery caramel, and deep-forest pine (you know the pine...). The taste brings in more of the same, but, yet again, there's that added swipe of charred vinyl near and through the finish. It does not mesh well with the lightly spicy hops, lemme tell ya. I was thinking that bit was a result of "unique" malt-roasting techniques, but now I'm starting to think it's either the yeast or the bottles. I just dunno here... The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta dry finish. Overall, this would be an okay, solid IPA were it not for that damn Ipswich vinyl character. Am I the only one tasting this in these beers?

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%

Fuzzy peach with a nice sticky retentive head. Smells of earthy cirtusy hops, very yeasty, and a little mustiness. Taste starts mediocre and gets worse. Starts with aggressive dirty citrus hop flavor matched up with toasted malt. Then the malt disappears, leaving a long pine-sol bitter finish. A good creamy mouthfeel does not make up for the poor flavor of this brew. Perhaps it is just my tastes, or this specific batch/bottle, since most other reviewers seem to really like this.

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

2.78/5  rDev -27%

Pours thoroughly orange, thin soapy head, decent lacing.

Smells of hops, of course, along with mild citric fruitiness.

Taste is a bit off, pretty mild for an IPA. The hops are there but not extremely present. There is more of a citric taste to the beer than a hop punch. I've had American pale ales that had bigger hop presence than this, actually.

Mouthfeel is good. The body is nicely medium, clean finish, adequate carbonation. This is a good beer but not a great IPA.

2.78/5  rDev -27%

Poured from the bottle into a glass with a one finger, beige head with little retention. Beer was light brown with a lot of haze. The smell was not strong at all. I expected more floral aroma from the hops. The taste was bitter upfront from the hops. However, there was not much in the way of sweetness to counter the bitter taste. The taste left on my palate after each sip was the bitter taste of the hops. Perhaps this was just me, but the hops seemed to only offer bitterness and offered no balance to the beer. The mouthfeel was medium bodied with limited carbonation. Drinkability was average as the flavor was not overpowering and the ABV was normal. The bitterness could limit how many of these I would have in a night.

Overall, this is by no means the best IPA I have had. The flavor is unbalanced and bitter, at least for me. This would not be a beer I would have again.

2.8/5  rDev -26.5%

taken a bit back by how dark this was for an i.p.a. half a finger of head that dissolved rather quickly. had an aroma of orange and alcohol. at first taste the hops blew me away. i am quite fond of this style but this was a little much. i wouldn't say it was undrinkable, but i don't think i could have more than one. it was what it said it would be so i can't give it a bad score, but it wasn't my glass of beer.

Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.) from Ipswich Ale Brewery