Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.) - Ipswich Ale Brewery

Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.)Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.)

Ipswich Ale Brewery visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-07-1998)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.) Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -60.7%

1.8/5  rDev -52.9%

Hazy, sediment laced burnt orange color. Nose is grapefruit and pine. Nice mouthfeel but so bitter on the back of my tounge that I couldn't finish the bottle (didn't want to). Another reviewer described this taste as "charred vinyl". Now I've never tasted burnt 33 LP's but I'm imagining this is what they taste like. Did I just get a bad batch? I don't get it.

3.48/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a cloudy orange color with a hint of red. Forms a bit of a white head which dissipates fairly fast, leaving some lacing.

The hops really stand out here, it's a bit grassy and floral. It does remind me a bit of being outside on a spring day.

Starts out a bit malty, with a bit of caramel and toffee notes. The hops then kick in, giving it a bit of an earthy taste. There is a bit of a floral character, and finishes with a touch of bitterness.

Maybe a touch more thin than I expected, but still decent.

First off, I am not a fan of IPAs at all, probably my least favorite beer style. That being said, this was probably the best IPA I have had. The hops are very much present, but don't overwhelm. The malt balances it nicely, making it much more drinkable than I expected. Glad I got to try this, it may make me rethink what an IPA can be.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

2.73/5  rDev -28.5%

Served in a Walter Payton shaker pint glass.

Somewhat reluctantly trying another of these Ipswich brews. This one pours a clear sunset bronze topped by a finger of dirty cream-white foam. The nose comprises grapefruit peel, orange zest, buttery caramel, and deep-forest pine (you know the pine...). The taste brings in more of the same, but, yet again, there's that added swipe of charred vinyl near and through the finish. It does not mesh well with the lightly spicy hops, lemme tell ya. I was thinking that bit was a result of "unique" malt-roasting techniques, but now I'm starting to think it's either the yeast or the bottles. I just dunno here... The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta dry finish. Overall, this would be an okay, solid IPA were it not for that damn Ipswich vinyl character. Am I the only one tasting this in these beers?

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a SA sensory glass. Thanks to Eric for gifting me with this. This brew pours a burnt copper color with 2 fingers worth of yellowish tan froth. The cap slowly recedes leaving finger-like patterns of lace all over the glass. A light swirl revives a finger's worth of yellowish fluff.

The aroma of this brew has citrus and fruity hops mixed with a fruited alcohol quality and caramel malt sweetness about the nose. There is a spicy alcohol kick across the back which exaggerates the herbal quality of the hops. Some sulfur notes are evident as the brew warms up.

The taste is hoppy with a modest herbal bitterness. Under the bitterness is a caramel malt presence that hardly provides any contrasting sweetness. The grain aspect also carries with it a lightly musty aspect. The hops get a bit grassy as the brew warms up and a light young yeastiness evolves mid-palate.

The alcohol is fairly spicy and warming for 6.5%. It is medium bodied and modestly carbonated. Overall not a bad offering. Thanks for sharing Eric.

In honor of IPA Day, I'm reviewing a new to me beer. A chilled bottle is poured into a pint glass. A big foam tan head rests atop of a clear light brown liquid. The serving temperature has caused my glass to fog up, but wiping away the condensation reveals some spare rising carbonation. The settling head leaves behind some good lacing.

The beer has a good hop aroma. It's not too strong, but it is unmistakeably bitter. The hops are crisp and forest-like.

The beer has a tasty, solid flavor that is both true to style and very enjoyable. Floral hops mask a slight crystal sugar sweetness. The malts evolve into more of a brown sugar flavor, as the hops become more bitter, slightly oily, and piney. A bitter resin and a touch of alcohol linger on after swallowing.

Medium body and medium carbonation give the body a standard feel. The lack of stickiness and a coat that retains the bitterness well pushes the mouthfeel into the above average category.

I like this IPA a lot. I've had limited experience with Mercury and the Ipswich line, but this beer impressed me. I would certainly drink more of it—I'll go as far to say that I will purchase a 6 pack next time I'm in Massachusetts. If you are able to, you should give this beer a try.

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance: A much darker A IPA than I'm used to, with a very slightly cloudy color that is what comes to mind when I think 'dark amber' Pours with a fluffy dirty-white two finger head. Thick clouds of lacing are left down the glass.

Smell: Little malt character. Mostly grapefruit and astringency, and slightly grassy.

Taste: A bitter hop punch in the face up front, that soon mellows out. Unlike some IPAs I've had, it doesn't leave sticky malt sweetness on the lips, which can be slightly sickening sometimes. I had always thought that was a characteristic of the style. Aftertaste is bitter as well, though slightly peppery.

Feel: Very smooth and thick. Seems to feel similarly to some stouts I've had.

Overall: This is a good beer for New England hop heads. Not quite enough malt character for me, but overall a good example of the style.

4.85/5  rDev +27%

This is not a beer your girlfriend will like. But if she does, marry her!

A couple times a year, I head to an island in New England, and have to choose which beer to bring. Invariably, it comes down to Ipswich IPA versus Smuttynose IPA, "Finestkind." These are readily available in 12-packs, at reasonable prices.

If anyone has another suggestion, let me know!

Ipswich India Pale Ale (I.P.A.) from Ipswich Ale Brewery