Celia Saison - Ipswich Ale Brewery

Ipswich Ale Brewery visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: grub on 06-14-2010

Gluten-free Saison-style beer made with sorghum and brewed with orange peel.

Previously brewed by The Alchemist, Ipswich now owns the brand and production.
to view more.
Ratings: 227 | Reviews: 80
4.5/5  rDev +40.6%

I do not have to justify my good taste to a machine.

3.31/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

A: hazy; deep gold in color; 1+ finger white head that receded quickly to a wispy cap; no lacing;

S: very muted; a touch of coriander;

T: also muted; coriander up front; tart lemon and orange are added at mid-palate; no bitterness;

M: light bodied; medium to high tingly carbonation; lightly dry finish;

O: not enough flavor or aroma;

3.1/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a very thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains wild Belgian yeast, tart citrus, some spice, light caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a harsh tart burst of orange and other citrus flavors followed by some wild Belgian yeast funk that enhances the sourness. Then some mild spice flavor comes in along with a thin malt character. The hops presence is very mild and there is not much balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly tart.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, not the best representation of style, this definitely not one of the better beers I’ve had in the style.

I had the Alchemist version of this beer. It is now brewed by the Ipswich brewery. It is a noble effort trying to make a gluten free saison but not necessarily a worthy one.
It has a spicy nose with the hints of orange, some tartness and earthy, spicy hops
It pours hazy gold with a humungous white foam cap that gradually diminishes to a large rootbeer float type head.
The palate is OK but it has a less complicated yeast character than many Saisons, has some plum and peach, orange, and finishes with a touch of tartness and a bitter hop accent. A hint of faint lingering mustard on the finish.
Medium body. Despite the humungous foamy head, the body of the beer does not have that Saison effervescence.
If I needed a gluten free beer I would try this but if I wanted a saison, I would try something else.

3.25/5  rDev +1.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

A -- Clear bronze body with very little head. Lots of little bubbles bubbling up.

N -- Kind of fruity and yeasty.

T -- Old world taste. Dried sticky fruits, yeast. Little lemony and resiny. I have no idea what sorghum tastes like, but I imagine its in there somewhere.

M -- Thick for a saison.

O -- Pretty good. If I had to drink gluten free, I would definitely be okay drinking this regularly.

3.67/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a stemmed-pilsner, the beer is a slightly pale, copper coloring, with a steady flow of carbonation and a sparse splash of filmy surface bubbling. Aromas of clove, nutmeg, coriander, subtle citrus notes, and some plum and date. Surprisingly heavy nose. Flavors are tangy sweet forward, with a citrus overlay on an old world fruit backbone of date and fig. Spice blend of clove, nutmeg, and coriander, pulling the focus of the palate in their direction. The body is robust and full, with a effervesced edge undercutting slightly. The aftertaste is old-world fruit and spice blended nicely, into a crisp, thin, clean finish. Pretty full and robust take on the style.

3.2/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This was my first Saison, as it was reccomended that I might like the taste. I do like the taste, but not as much as I had hoped. It has a bit of a soapy taste upon impact but doesn't taste as bad as that sounds. Hopefulyl other saison will make me rethink this category.

2.74/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Purchased at the Alchemist Cannery half a year back. Poured into a snifter from a 12 oz bottle.

A- Pours a golden hazy body with some floaties. Small white head that reduces quickly.

S- Plastic, soap, citrus, and some oranges.

T- Weirdly musty.. plastic, gym socks, soap, detergent, soaked in old orange juice and bananas.

M- Medium body and carbonation.

I think I left this in my fridge a little too long. I don't think the Alchemist even makes this any more.

3.72/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

You know, I liked the bottle and bought a 4-pack of these, and only at the register did I notice I'd just bought gluten-free beer!!! Dun dundun...Oh well, I was too curious by then. This beer appeared to be marketed as a delicious thing and not just a beer that doesn't have gluten, so perhaps it's drinkable, quaffable, not just laughable.
I had a couple of these bottle with dinner that night (I think it was pasta) and it didn't really go and I thought, well, the Mrs. likes it and it ain't half bad to my tastes, better than Blue Moon. (Whenever I'm not crazy about a beer I think, "well, it's better than Blue Moon")
But now I'm having it with a clear palate and I must say I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
The mouthfeel is the most unique aspect of this saison, as you can definitely feel the bubbles buckle on your tongue sort of like a soda but without the syrup taste of soda, instead, it's like orange peel and then a yeasty aftereffect. It's a little sour a little bitter and a little sweet. Sunshine on the nose (that's right).
I grabbed it from the fridge because I wasn't really in the mood for any of the four IPA in there and now I'm just basking in its yeasty curves.

2.99/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I purchased this from half-time, enjoyed chilled in a pub glass.

The color is golden with brilliant clarity with thick cream of white cap with fine bead and a lace that sticks with good retention. The smell is kind of band-aid like with a phenolic yeast and slight citrus element in the aroma. The feel is moderately carbonated and semi light body with very light sweetness, but mostly dry with a gentle warmth of alcohol in the finish.

The taste is not good, it has that slight herbal, semi-medicinal character I have encountered in other gluten free beers. The flavor has a slight citrus tinge but more pith than actual fruit with a slight grainy dry husky quality in the middle and odd earthy almost grassy and more band-aid type flavors in the back of the throat which seems to linger after the sip with a slight bitter herbal element that mixes with a light alcohol finish. Overall this is not the worst beer I have ever had, nor the worst gluten free beer I have tasted, but it is certainly not worth having again.

3.28/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

My first gluten-free beer. Interested to try it but I have to admit I am not overly optimistic.

Beer is cloudy golden with a moderately-sized white head.

Nose contains orange peel quite strongly. Yeast is there as well, and a peppery scent. Nothing gives away the lack of barely or wheat.

Taste-wise, the beer seems a bit thin. Orange and spices are upfront, as well as a strong bubblegum flavour. Yeast. Not sure what taste the sorghum gives- to me it just doesn't seem to have a big malt base. The aftertaste is not very good and tastes a bit odd- my assumption is this is the sorghum. It gets worse as it warms and becomes unpleasant.

Light bodied, strongly carbonated. Too fizzy, but otherwise refreshing. The odd aftertaste detracts.

At first I thought this beer was unexciting but pretty good, considering the restrictions placed on its creation. However, particularly as it warms, the aftertaste gets more pronounced and is really not very pleasant.

3.26/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark orange, brownish. Quite cloudy. Not much head kicked upon the initial pour, but I was able to kick some up with a few swirls. Small, dissipating head, beige in color - kinda yellow in an odd way. Not a ton of aroma. I'm picking up the orange peel. Some mildly gummy grain sweetness. The taste is rather clean for a gluten free beer, but there isn't much character. Quite dry which probably helps avoid the off notes I've noticed in other sorghum beers. The orange peel is probably the strongest flavor, though there's also some pepper to it. Touches of other spice as well, probably from the yeast. Mouthfeel is a touch gummy but better than almost any other gluten free that I've tried. This is decent but I expected more. I feel like the orange peel is covering flaws.

3.13/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Pours light golden color, nice orange tint and basically clear, with a fairly thin head.

Smells of citrus zest, black pepper, yeast.

Taste is a little odd--zest and pepper again, something oddly tangy and just slight weird about the flavor. Definitely not bad, this is drinkable for sure, just kindof strange.

Mouthfeel good, very nice carb.

6.1/10

1.99/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

A: Poured out a hazy amber color, thin white head, no real retention or lacing to speak of.

S: Booze, bubble gum, clove/spices, and a funky musty scent.

T: Similar to the smell plus hints of orange and dirty gym socks.

M: A lighter body with medium to heavy carbonation. Sharp bitter bite after the beer goes down.

O: If I didn't know any better, I would think this beer was infected. Gym socks and bubble gum are off flavors in beer that are totally unfavorable. On the other hand, I'm perfectly capable of consuming gluten so this may be a treasure for those who are gluten intolerant.

3.26/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From 03/10/13 notes. Picked this up last week at City Swiggers in NYC for $2.89 based soley off the fact that it was from the Alchemist...didn't realize until I got home it was a gluten free beer. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a hazy deep auburn orange color with one finger of off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of oranges, spice, coriander, spice, floral hops, and some light fruity malts. Nose is decent; lot of orange and lot of spice to it.

t - Tastes of spice, pepper, coriander, oranges, citrus, earthy notes, light vegetable, and light fruity malts. Not a big fan of the taste here; I can't put my finger on it but it is kind of weird. Not offensive, but not great. Big step down from the nose.

m - Medium body and high carbonation. A bit overcarbonated.

o - Overall I wasn't a big fan of this beer. Haven't had a lot of gluten-free beers that I've enjoyed, and this wasn't an exception, though I'd imagien it would be exciting to see a saison style that is gluten-free if you had a gluten allergy. Nose is decent but I didn't really like the taste and it was overcarbonated; while I love the Alchemist I'd skip this one.

2.6/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Gluten free beers are something I've sought only because my GF is gluten intolerant. Once in a while it's nice to cheers beers!

Anyway, this was okay, a little thin and uninteresting. So far, nothing that's Gluten Free can match Tweason'ale. I'll keep searching, but this Saison won't be the go-to for her.

3.66/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Clear bright orange, not much carbonation or head.

S-Lots of sorghum, or at least what I assume to be sorghum. The orange peel is there as well.

T-Starts with sorghum? Also has a good deal of citrus fruit flavors, like orange and lemon. No bitterness.

M- Light, not much carbonation.

O-The best of two gluten free beers I've had. Shared with someone who is gluten free and he said it was the best he's had.

3.11/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance: A slight haze on a dull gold. Head is fizzy, bright-white, and drops to a small cap in short order. Solid carbonation with minimal lacing.

Smell: Loaded with orange peel. Backing spiciness from the sorghum pushes something distinct. Vaguely herbal with some lemon and mild backing grassiness. Citrus. Malts are light and bright. Vague notes of peppery spiciness. Almost Belgian in its approach. Hugely floral. So very odd, but not necessarily in a bad way.

Taste: Typical saison yeast hits on barnyard funk with a big push toward damp hay. A solid punch of earthiness and oily orange zest. Pale malts add a touch of sweetness. Some underlying peppery notes. So very floral. Almost like pineapple at times. Apple, pear, and some raw honey. Belgian yeast hits big notes of bubblegum and clove with seriously ripe banana. A bit aggressive.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a solid, yet not intense, carbonation. Relatively smooth. A touch of lingering dry bitterness.

Overall: A Vermont-made saison named after a woman? Perhaps we should leave that to Hill Farmstead.

Overall it's not terrible, but it's oddly fruity and floral. The Belgian yeast compliments the unique flavor of sorghum, but it doesn't quite work in the long run. Spice levels are nice but a bit confused.

3.18/5  rDev -0.6%

12oz bottle from the brewery poured into dogfish tulip glass

A-pours light copper with a bubbly white head
S- big Belgian yeast, banana, a little orange
T/M- slightly dry from start to finish, I get Belgian yeast, licorice, a little orange zest, ironically tastes a little bready, finishes little sour. After a few sips I get a little tomato flavor. Mouthfeel is as expected for the style.
O- yeah this isn't a greatest beer but it beats drinking cider all the time for those who can't drink gluten. It could use more orange flavor to balance out the bitterness. I'm glad to see a gluten free offering and I'm glad I got to try it. I don't think it's fair to compare this to HT and if I couldn't drink gluten I'd be even more excited to see this.

3.08/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz, Winter 2012
Heady Topper stemless

A: Slightly hazy, but mostly clear pale orange color. Didn't get tons of head. Thin layer of bright white bubbles. Seems like there is some carbonation.

S: Strange chalk like smell on nose, sourgum maybe. Then I get the Belgian yeast and orange peel there.

T: Sourgum is strange. Doesn't really taste like a Saison to me at all. Get some off flavor right away. Then some spice from the Belgian yeast. There is some orange there. Dry finish.

M: Medium bodied.

3.3/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle from dope (thanks man!) split into tasting glasses with the wife.

A: Hazed gold with some minimal creamy head that recedes quickly.

S: Dry estery Belgian yeast. Floral, herbal, earthy, spice...black pepper? Orange peel, hint of banana. Soapy character turns phenolic...definite medicinal bite.

T: Follows the nose; crisp bready malt and yeasty tones. Herbal spices, black pepper. Unique floral spice...lavender? Sage? Its almost soapy in a way.

MF: Lighter medium body with a dry finish.

O: Not that great IMO. Compared to other GF offerings this seems to be a decent stab. That floral/soapy component is a bit off-putting to me, but whatever it is seems to fit in the Farmhouse Ale-style of brews.

3.47/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Celia pours a flat, cloudy hazy honey amber with a small fizzy white head on top. The foam disappears quickly leaving no lace behind.

The aroma is very spicy. Notes of pepper, clove and bubblegum. A touch of orange and lemon citrus is also present. The aroma fades after the first few sips.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is somewhat creamy with moderate carbonation. The flavor is spicy with a balance of malt sweetness. Pepper, coriander and orange peel are balanced with bubblegum and some bready malt. It finishes sweet with lingering pepper when gone.

Not the best saison I've ever had, but a great beer made without barley. Lots of flavor and fairly well balanced.

3.03/5  rDev -5.3%

A-slightly hazy amber color with a decent white head and some lacing

S-citrus, earthy, spices

T-citrus, earthy, grassy, sour, astringent and somewhat off aftertaste, can't quite place the off taste

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp but with the astringency noted above

O-not a great Saison, just not the flavor profile one would expect, especially from The Alchemist

2.56/5  rDev -20%

Decent starting head. Some spots on the glass. Cloudy gold color.

White pepper and plastic smells. Reminds me of Creepy Crawlers.

Medicinal and plasticy taste--a clear miss. Behind this are the typical Saison flavor of astringent malt and hop bitterness. Good, lasting aftertaste of bitterness from the hop finish. Respectable body with a mildly elevated level of carbonation. Overall, I can't get over the plastic.

3.65/5  rDev +14.1%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Clear pale amber body with a frothy finger of white head that settles into a nice cap and leaves some light lace. Pretty.

S: Hugely phenolic, dry, citrusy Saison yeast - definitely reminds me of the Wyeast French Saison strain that I've used for homebrew in the past. Intense and enjoyable.

T: Spicy, medicinal, dry yeastiness dominates, with a bit of mildly sweet sorghum underneath. A little muddled, but really great for being gluten free.

M: A little thin, moderately carbonated. All right.

O: By far the best gluten free beer I've ever had, but that's really not saying a whole lot. It's not a Saison that I'll be seeking out again.

to view more.