Celia Saison - Ipswich Ale Brewery

pDev: 21%
Ipswich Ale Brewery visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Gluten-free Saison-style beer made with sorghum and brewed with orange peel.

Previously brewed by The Alchemist, Ipswich now owns the brand and production.

(Beer added by: cbutova on 04-23-2012)

3.09/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a very thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains wild Belgian yeast, tart citrus, some spice, light caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with a harsh tart burst of orange and other citrus flavors followed by some wild Belgian yeast funk that enhances the sourness. Then some mild spice flavor comes in along with a thin malt character. The hops presence is very mild and there is not much balance. The after-taste is slightly bready and slightly tart.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, not the best representation of style, this definitely not one of the better beers I’ve had in the style.

4.68/5  rDev +46.7%

3.5/5  rDev +9.7%

I had the Alchemist version of this beer. It is now brewed by the Ipswich brewery. It is a noble effort trying to make a gluten free saison but not necessarily a worthy one.
It has a spicy nose with the hints of orange, some tartness and earthy, spicy hops
It pours hazy gold with a humungous white foam cap that gradually diminishes to a large rootbeer float type head.
The palate is OK but it has a less complicated yeast character than many Saisons, has some plum and peach, orange, and finishes with a touch of tartness and a bitter hop accent. A hint of faint lingering mustard on the finish.
Medium body. Despite the humungous foamy head, the body of the beer does not have that Saison effervescence.
If I needed a gluten free beer I would try this but if I wanted a saison, I would try something else.

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

A -- Clear bronze body with very little head. Lots of little bubbles bubbling up.

N -- Kind of fruity and yeasty.

T -- Old world taste. Dried sticky fruits, yeast. Little lemony and resiny. I have no idea what sorghum tastes like, but I imagine its in there somewhere.

M -- Thick for a saison.

O -- Pretty good. If I had to drink gluten free, I would definitely be okay drinking this regularly.

3.68/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a stemmed-pilsner, the beer is a slightly pale, copper coloring, with a steady flow of carbonation and a sparse splash of filmy surface bubbling. Aromas of clove, nutmeg, coriander, subtle citrus notes, and some plum and date. Surprisingly heavy nose. Flavors are tangy sweet forward, with a citrus overlay on an old world fruit backbone of date and fig. Spice blend of clove, nutmeg, and coriander, pulling the focus of the palate in their direction. The body is robust and full, with a effervesced edge undercutting slightly. The aftertaste is old-world fruit and spice blended nicely, into a crisp, thin, clean finish. Pretty full and robust take on the style.

3.18/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This was my first Saison, as it was reccomended that I might like the taste. I do like the taste, but not as much as I had hoped. It has a bit of a soapy taste upon impact but doesn't taste as bad as that sounds. Hopefulyl other saison will make me rethink this category.

2.25/5  rDev -29.5%

3.75/5  rDev +17.6%

2.66/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Purchased at the Alchemist Cannery half a year back. Poured into a snifter from a 12 oz bottle.

A- Pours a golden hazy body with some floaties. Small white head that reduces quickly.

S- Plastic, soap, citrus, and some oranges.

T- Weirdly musty.. plastic, gym socks, soap, detergent, soaked in old orange juice and bananas.

M- Medium body and carbonation.

I think I left this in my fridge a little too long. I don't think the Alchemist even makes this any more.

3.73/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

You know, I liked the bottle and bought a 4-pack of these, and only at the register did I notice I'd just bought gluten-free beer!!! Dun dundun...Oh well, I was too curious by then. This beer appeared to be marketed as a delicious thing and not just a beer that doesn't have gluten, so perhaps it's drinkable, quaffable, not just laughable.
I had a couple of these bottle with dinner that night (I think it was pasta) and it didn't really go and I thought, well, the Mrs. likes it and it ain't half bad to my tastes, better than Blue Moon. (Whenever I'm not crazy about a beer I think, "well, it's better than Blue Moon")
But now I'm having it with a clear palate and I must say I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
The mouthfeel is the most unique aspect of this saison, as you can definitely feel the bubbles buckle on your tongue sort of like a soda but without the syrup taste of soda, instead, it's like orange peel and then a yeasty aftereffect. It's a little sour a little bitter and a little sweet. Sunshine on the nose (that's right).
I grabbed it from the fridge because I wasn't really in the mood for any of the four IPA in there and now I'm just basking in its yeasty curves.

Celia Saison from Ipswich Ale Brewery