Celia Saison - Ipswich Ale Brewery

Celia SaisonCelia Saison

Ipswich Ale Brewery visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Gluten-free Saison-style beer made with sorghum and brewed with orange peel.

Previously brewed by The Alchemist, Ipswich now owns the brand and production.

(Beer added by: cbutova on 04-23-2012)

Petegrieco, Wednesday at 06:53 PM
2.5/5  rDev -21.9%

J-Bonestradamus, Oct 13, 2014
4.68/5  rDev +46.3%

JoeBloe, Sep 29, 2014

tdm168, Sep 13, 2014

I had the Alchemist version of this beer. It is now brewed by the Ipswich brewery. It is a noble effort trying to make a gluten free saison but not necessarily a worthy one.
It has a spicy nose with the hints of orange, some tartness and earthy, spicy hops
It pours hazy gold with a humungous white foam cap that gradually diminishes to a large rootbeer float type head.
The palate is OK but it has a less complicated yeast character than many Saisons, has some plum and peach, orange, and finishes with a touch of tartness and a bitter hop accent. A hint of faint lingering mustard on the finish.
Medium body. Despite the humungous foamy head, the body of the beer does not have that Saison effervescence.
If I needed a gluten free beer I would try this but if I wanted a saison, I would try something else.

pat61, Sep 12, 2014
3.25/5  rDev +1.6%

12 oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

A -- Clear bronze body with very little head. Lots of little bubbles bubbling up.

N -- Kind of fruity and yeasty.

T -- Old world taste. Dried sticky fruits, yeast. Little lemony and resiny. I have no idea what sorghum tastes like, but I imagine its in there somewhere.

M -- Thick for a saison.

O -- Pretty good. If I had to drink gluten free, I would definitely be okay drinking this regularly.

tkelley, Aug 29, 2014

WoostaBia, Aug 19, 2014

wrightst, Aug 12, 2014

well_attenuated, Jul 16, 2014
3.68/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a stemmed-pilsner, the beer is a slightly pale, copper coloring, with a steady flow of carbonation and a sparse splash of filmy surface bubbling. Aromas of clove, nutmeg, coriander, subtle citrus notes, and some plum and date. Surprisingly heavy nose. Flavors are tangy sweet forward, with a citrus overlay on an old world fruit backbone of date and fig. Spice blend of clove, nutmeg, and coriander, pulling the focus of the palate in their direction. The body is robust and full, with a effervesced edge undercutting slightly. The aftertaste is old-world fruit and spice blended nicely, into a crisp, thin, clean finish. Pretty full and robust take on the style.

GarthDanielson, Jun 25, 2014

mrcraft, Jun 22, 2014

BunnyMonster, May 19, 2014
3.18/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This was my first Saison, as it was reccomended that I might like the taste. I do like the taste, but not as much as I had hoped. It has a bit of a soapy taste upon impact but doesn't taste as bad as that sounds. Hopefulyl other saison will make me rethink this category.

Xalechim, Apr 11, 2014

marshmeli, Dec 10, 2013

HeadieBrews, Dec 09, 2013

IronTom, Dec 04, 2013
2.66/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Purchased at the Alchemist Cannery half a year back. Poured into a snifter from a 12 oz bottle.

A- Pours a golden hazy body with some floaties. Small white head that reduces quickly.

S- Plastic, soap, citrus, and some oranges.

T- Weirdly musty.. plastic, gym socks, soap, detergent, soaked in old orange juice and bananas.

M- Medium body and carbonation.

I think I left this in my fridge a little too long. I don't think the Alchemist even makes this any more.

gcamparone, Nov 27, 2013
3.73/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

You know, I liked the bottle and bought a 4-pack of these, and only at the register did I notice I'd just bought gluten-free beer!!! Dun dundun...Oh well, I was too curious by then. This beer appeared to be marketed as a delicious thing and not just a beer that doesn't have gluten, so perhaps it's drinkable, quaffable, not just laughable.
I had a couple of these bottle with dinner that night (I think it was pasta) and it didn't really go and I thought, well, the Mrs. likes it and it ain't half bad to my tastes, better than Blue Moon. (Whenever I'm not crazy about a beer I think, "well, it's better than Blue Moon")
But now I'm having it with a clear palate and I must say I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
The mouthfeel is the most unique aspect of this saison, as you can definitely feel the bubbles buckle on your tongue sort of like a soda but without the syrup taste of soda, instead, it's like orange peel and then a yeasty aftereffect. It's a little sour a little bitter and a little sweet. Sunshine on the nose (that's right).
I grabbed it from the fridge because I wasn't really in the mood for any of the four IPA in there and now I'm just basking in its yeasty curves.

trentbent, Nov 21, 2013