Celia Saison - Ipswich Ale Brewery

pDev: 21%
Ipswich Ale Brewery visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Gluten-free Saison-style beer made with sorghum and brewed with orange peel.

Previously brewed by The Alchemist, Ipswich now owns the brand and production.

(Beer added by: cbutova on 04-23-2012)

1.43/5  rDev -55.2%

Sorry but this was horrid, and it's not that I've never had a gluten free beer before either. Poured a half inch off-white soap suds head which faded fast. The body is a hazy apple cider color with no effervescence left in it. It smells weird, hard to describe, yet I do smell the citrus and spice. The taste is heavy on the spice, which I guess I understand considering without the spice it's a weird sour unpleasant taste, but really this comes across kind of like one of those overspiced pumpkin beers (without the pumpkin of course). Long finish but not of a taste I wanted to stick around. 90% of this bottle got poured down the drain. I guess I should just feel lucky I don't have celiac disease. But then again I've had gluten free beers I did think were OK.

1.5/5  rDev -53%

1.55/5  rDev -51.4%

Gluten Free, made with sorghum. I'm excited for this given the advance of some sorghum beers lately (Widmer really did it right IMO)
Bottled: unk

Muddled apricot color with a fine light cream sheet of foam. Nice cloudy lace. Smells of flowers, coriander, clay, udder hand lotion, a hint of butter and some orange peel. The yeast is pretty intense in the nose. Flavor is heavily yeasty and has an almost mushy consistency for me, hard for me to get past the yeast here. Some medicinal character and black olive juice flavors. Boom, just realized why I dislike this beer - the yeast reminds me of Unibroue - nasty. Full thickness and slippery with a longer than desired finish for me. I am thankful to have had this, I am thankful to never likely have this again.

1.75/5  rDev -45.1%

1.88/5  rDev -41.1%

Unfamiliar with gluten-free brew.

A: Hazy orangey body, with a white head that sticks around.

S: At first the typical powdery phenolic/sweet saison smell, but there's a really odd smell here: raw and bitter unlike anything i've smelled in a beer - raw vegetable?

T: Vegetables: bitter and dry and tastes like i bit into a raw gourd.

M: Drying with a lingering bitter aftertaste.

O: Pass.

If this represents beer sans gluten, I'll pass on the lot. I can respect the emergence of gluten free, though, because I'm sure plenty out there appreciate it.

1.99/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

A: Poured out a hazy amber color, thin white head, no real retention or lacing to speak of.

S: Booze, bubble gum, clove/spices, and a funky musty scent.

T: Similar to the smell plus hints of orange and dirty gym socks.

M: A lighter body with medium to heavy carbonation. Sharp bitter bite after the beer goes down.

O: If I didn't know any better, I would think this beer was infected. Gym socks and bubble gum are off flavors in beer that are totally unfavorable. On the other hand, I'm perfectly capable of consuming gluten so this may be a treasure for those who are gluten intolerant.

2.4/5  rDev -24.8%

A - Poor head with low retention and lace. Hazy orange gold body.

S - Lightly floral, honey, Smarties candy, tangerine, honeydew melon, just the faintest hint of sour.

T - Oh man, something is reeeally off on the back end of this. Rancid bacteria just absolutely wipes out everything else in the profile.

M - Medium body. Really low carbonation for the style.

O - Given the quality of the brewer I'd be willing to give this another shot in the future, but man... this bottle was really, really off.

2.48/5  rDev -22.3%

Picked this one up locally...just couldn't resist checking out something from the alchemist. enjoyed from my HF tulipy wine glass.

a - brew poured a murky orange with a foamy head and visible carbonation. the head fizzled away quick, but left a thin skin of bubbles.

s - sweet coriander and orange peel. some grassiness and a bit of bubble gum.

t - at first a burst of coriander, orange peel and bubblegum sweetness which is almost immediately overtaken by some weird off spiciness. each successive sip boasts more of this almost moldy flavor. not really digging it.

m - prickly but leaves an off aftertaste. the orange peel is there, but the forefront of the beer is just like an odd pepper dominant thing that i don't love.

o - overall, i figured anything alchemist is a safe bet. i have a few friends who are gluten free and as a beer geek i feel it is my responsibility to help show them that you can still have cool beer even if you are gluten free. as such, i've had a few gluten free beers and it is cool to see folks experimenting with various styles for gluten free beers, but all i can say is that i'm glad i'm not restricted to these types of beers as some friends of mine are. everyone's palate is different so i might pass one of these along to my gluten free friends, but this is not one for me.

2.5/5  rDev -21.6%

Thanks to Eric for this one. 12oz. bottle into a Duvel artist tulip.

Pours a 1 finger foamy white head with moderate retention. Beer is semi-cloudy dull orange. Lacing is spotty and sparse with little cling. Slightly below average for the style.

Nose is coriander, citrus peel, some soapiness, mild sweetness, and a sprinkling of other spices. Decent.

Opens medicinal. Some spiciness upfront but big ethanol notes towards the middle with only a hint of citrus to smooth things out at the back. Spicy finish with a mild hop bitterness in the aftertaste. Not very good.

Light bodied with high carbonation. Prickly and lively in the mouth but goes down abrasive and boozy and slightly dry. Aftertaste is dry and lingering. Lacking the quenching, refreshing body I want from the style.

For a brewery that put out Heretic, Luscious, and Heady Topper, I'm sorely disappointed by this one. This is my first gluten-free beer and likely my last if this is what they taste like. A good effort, but this beer isn't a good representation of the brewery.

Celia Saison from Ipswich Ale Brewery