Celia Saison - Ipswich Ale Brewery

Ipswich Ale Brewery visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: grub on 06-14-2010

Gluten-free Saison-style beer made with sorghum and brewed with orange peel.

Previously brewed by The Alchemist, Ipswich now owns the brand and production.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 226 | Reviews: 79

2.74/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Purchased at the Alchemist Cannery half a year back. Poured into a snifter from a 12 oz bottle.

A- Pours a golden hazy body with some floaties. Small white head that reduces quickly.

S- Plastic, soap, citrus, and some oranges.

T- Weirdly musty.. plastic, gym socks, soap, detergent, soaked in old orange juice and bananas.

M- Medium body and carbonation.

I think I left this in my fridge a little too long. I don't think the Alchemist even makes this any more.

3.72/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

You know, I liked the bottle and bought a 4-pack of these, and only at the register did I notice I'd just bought gluten-free beer!!! Dun dundun...Oh well, I was too curious by then. This beer appeared to be marketed as a delicious thing and not just a beer that doesn't have gluten, so perhaps it's drinkable, quaffable, not just laughable.
I had a couple of these bottle with dinner that night (I think it was pasta) and it didn't really go and I thought, well, the Mrs. likes it and it ain't half bad to my tastes, better than Blue Moon. (Whenever I'm not crazy about a beer I think, "well, it's better than Blue Moon")
But now I'm having it with a clear palate and I must say I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
The mouthfeel is the most unique aspect of this saison, as you can definitely feel the bubbles buckle on your tongue sort of like a soda but without the syrup taste of soda, instead, it's like orange peel and then a yeasty aftereffect. It's a little sour a little bitter and a little sweet. Sunshine on the nose (that's right).
I grabbed it from the fridge because I wasn't really in the mood for any of the four IPA in there and now I'm just basking in its yeasty curves.

3.75/5  rDev +17.6%

2.75/5  rDev -13.8%

2.99/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I purchased this from half-time, enjoyed chilled in a pub glass.

The color is golden with brilliant clarity with thick cream of white cap with fine bead and a lace that sticks with good retention. The smell is kind of band-aid like with a phenolic yeast and slight citrus element in the aroma. The feel is moderately carbonated and semi light body with very light sweetness, but mostly dry with a gentle warmth of alcohol in the finish.

The taste is not good, it has that slight herbal, semi-medicinal character I have encountered in other gluten free beers. The flavor has a slight citrus tinge but more pith than actual fruit with a slight grainy dry husky quality in the middle and odd earthy almost grassy and more band-aid type flavors in the back of the throat which seems to linger after the sip with a slight bitter herbal element that mixes with a light alcohol finish. Overall this is not the worst beer I have ever had, nor the worst gluten free beer I have tasted, but it is certainly not worth having again.

3.75/5  rDev +17.6%

3.28/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

My first gluten-free beer. Interested to try it but I have to admit I am not overly optimistic.

Beer is cloudy golden with a moderately-sized white head.

Nose contains orange peel quite strongly. Yeast is there as well, and a peppery scent. Nothing gives away the lack of barely or wheat.

Taste-wise, the beer seems a bit thin. Orange and spices are upfront, as well as a strong bubblegum flavour. Yeast. Not sure what taste the sorghum gives- to me it just doesn't seem to have a big malt base. The aftertaste is not very good and tastes a bit odd- my assumption is this is the sorghum. It gets worse as it warms and becomes unpleasant.

Light bodied, strongly carbonated. Too fizzy, but otherwise refreshing. The odd aftertaste detracts.

At first I thought this beer was unexciting but pretty good, considering the restrictions placed on its creation. However, particularly as it warms, the aftertaste gets more pronounced and is really not very pleasant.

3.26/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark orange, brownish. Quite cloudy. Not much head kicked upon the initial pour, but I was able to kick some up with a few swirls. Small, dissipating head, beige in color - kinda yellow in an odd way. Not a ton of aroma. I'm picking up the orange peel. Some mildly gummy grain sweetness. The taste is rather clean for a gluten free beer, but there isn't much character. Quite dry which probably helps avoid the off notes I've noticed in other sorghum beers. The orange peel is probably the strongest flavor, though there's also some pepper to it. Touches of other spice as well, probably from the yeast. Mouthfeel is a touch gummy but better than almost any other gluten free that I've tried. This is decent but I expected more. I feel like the orange peel is covering flaws.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Celia Saison from Ipswich Ale Brewery