Dunedin Spatz BarkeyWine Barley Wine Style Ale - Dunedin Brewery

American Barleywine |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BigMcLargeHuge on 11-17-2008

Reviews by BigMcLargeHuge:
3.7/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap at brewery. Pours clear deep copper with lasting off white head. The aroma is an inviting load of dark fruity esters. I get grapes, cherries and sweet plums. I also smell melanoidin malts, mild roasty malts and some pine hops. The taste experience starts very viscous as the fluid ushers in mild fruitiness cut by roasty malt, mild pine hop bitterness and faint citrus hops. The fruitiness is a punch bowl full of cherries and dark grapes that become more raisin and prune like toward midway. I get a representation of fruit, roasted malts and hops into the after taste. It isn't too hoppy or fruity for the style. I'd love to re-rate it with some age on it . . . maybe a year or so. (690 characters)

4/5  rDev n/a

8oz serving.
The beer was a hazy dark amber color with virtually no head. It cleared as it warmed.
Caramel/roasted malt aroma. Dark fruit. Some citrus.
More of a toffee taste. Raisins, sweet cherry. Grapefruit hop taste.
Pretty smooth barleywine, not real aggressive.
Good beer. (278 characters)

3.98/5  rDev n/a

Devoured what I presume to be a 10 oz. pour at the Dunedin Brewery in Florida, shared with the wife, who in turn offered up half of her Rye IPA. Ah, a great combo.

Brew is coppery with almost no head, & the mouthfeel is similarly flat & slick, classic barleywine. Taste is surprising. There is the typical dark fruits coming out, but other things underneath that make this a very nice-tasting brew. I swear there were some latent hops on top of the bwine, but my wife disagreed. Whatever they were, they were good, & gave the beer some depth & complexity that's sometimes missed even in good barleywines.

I could have had another. I know they shouldn't serve barleywine in a pint glass, but I found myself longing for one. Guess that means I could have had another.

An unexpected place to find a very good barleywine. Kudos to Dunedin. (841 characters)

Dunedin Spatz BarkeyWine Barley Wine Style Ale from Dunedin Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.